Quantcast

this app will now restart to free up more memory

Pat

Question

An update

Had Peterborough Video Services out on Friday – via my Tesco online fault log

Very professional and helpful

However problem still exists – as its an internal TV memory issue – as in the lack of it!

Comes up with same issue on Channel 4 App

Both Youtube app and Channel4 app will run with no issues for say 2 hours. Then at random times the apps will jump out of that particular video/programme

If the TV is left on – standby - -next time I use the apps are used it quickly starts to have problems.

In my opinion the TV is not ‘smart’ – it has little or no memory – it does not operate as advertised.

I am now going to ask Tesco for my money back.

A non ‘smart’ TV with Roku box (approx £20) added into HDMI port will work much much better

Bought a  OLED55B7V, got delivered today. Trying to watch the Liverpool v Man City game using the web browser to show BT Sport 2. Get the same message every minute. I tried the Reset suggestion, stopped the Quick Start option and still get the problem. Since this thread was opened over a year ago, I had hoped LG would have a fix for the issue by now.

Also only using the Wifi option, no LAN connection.

Got the TV through John Lewis, so will have a word with them in the morning re-returning it.

Clearly after having this issue reported now for a long time LG have no intention of bothering to fix it let alone apologise to  all the suckers who bought these overpriced, unreliable TV's. From what I could gather and my personal experience the closest 'solution' that almost works is to A. ensure only one internet connection is turned on, either Ethernet or WiFi but not both - note that YouTube will turn WiFi on everytime it updates. B. Uninstall YouTube, eject any connected hard drives & disconnect it - very important otherwise you will probably trash the disk and loose any recorded stuff - then switch off the set and unplug it. C. wait a least 15 mins for set to clear cache/memory etc. D. reconnect hard disk, switch back on, let it all boot for a while then re-install YouTube.  Pray. If you are fortunate you might get a day or two without the 'restart....' error but I doubt it.

As Thatboizee has said use a third party solution like his or get a streaming stick like Roku for all the 'smarts' LG cannot actually deliver with WebOS and TV hardware. Or return the *rap & get a refund the only way to get LG to listen is to vote with your wallet it seems.

I have the same issue simply watching normal TV. I cannot even access the settings without that stupid message about freeing up space popping up. I can't watch anything on Prime or catchup - the tv has been rendered unusable because  I cannot access the settings. Will be interesting to hear  what LG have to say about this.....

• Like 1

Sadly LG will not have anything to say about all this ... it seems they simply don't care. Besides they probably know this defunct phone app - WebOs - is not really up to the job but don't want to spend any money using Android or another solid OS. The memory errors TV's report probably don't actually have anything to do with the actual memory rather the way it is managed by the OS. The other main issue I have with WebOs is with the external hard drive used for encrypted recordings. Yesterday for example a motor race recording record I was keen to view was aborted after about 20 mins. with a 'file not recognised' error! Drive is an LG recommended one and in perfect working condition but WebOs just can't handle it properly. As others have said, 'Smart' TV's really are just a sales gimmick and not worth the extra money charged.

Spoke with John Lewis this morning and they have offered me a full refund or an exchange with cash adjustment for any price difference.  Spoke on the phone with their technical support  line and the agent was prepared to go through alternative 55" OLED Smart TVs to swap to. Agreed instead to visit the store where TV was purchased to discuss, and possible try to verify, they will play BT Sport via a web browser. My issue was logged and a reference number provided to confirm I had reported the issue inside their returns policy guidelines.

Noticed my TV has done an LG software update last night. YouTube was working ok this morning - however the last few weeks I have had multiple 'this app will now restart .....'

If this software update has not fixed the issue - I will ask Tesco for my money back - I suspect (but happy to be proved wrong) that the TV just does not have adequate memory installed to operate as a 'Smart TV'

Let's trust the 'update' released yesterday does indeed fix this and other LG WebOs or TV issues. Interestingly I received a reply to a request for help from LG Tech about my Hard Disk recordings stopping after 3 minutes.

LG actually advised me previously to use a USB Hard Disk & not a USB Stick as the sticks don't work despite advertising to the contrary. They informed me it should be a USB 2.0 compatible device. I purchased a 1Tb one. It is powered from the USB port, less than 5v as stated in the LG User Guide.

Tech misread my email and assumed I was using a  USB Stick. Then said LG TV will not work reliably with USB powered Hard Disk. I have asked them to give me the name or details of a USB hard disk LG know actually does work with the only 1 single USB port on this TV set or refund me cost of trying multiple hard disks until I find the 'one' that does what LG advertise/promise their 'smart' TV's will do. Not holding my breath.

Update on my story so far. Mine also did an upgrade today, but still has the same problem. I did a couple of simple checks to isolate the issue. Logged in bt.com as normal and TV displayed the webpage as expected with no issues. Then went to BT Sport 2 channel but did not start watching any program. Again displayed the webpage correctly with no issues. This proves it's not a specific issue with the BT webpages. Once I started to watch BT Sport 2 then in one minute the app crashed with the expected message.  From testing on Saturday, the TV played a Youtube 4K video successfully, so that seems to suggest it was managing the higher data OK.  I'm wondering if there is some data in the BT Sports stream that the webOS does not like specifically as its a secure service (ie you have to be logged in and authorised to receive it).

Spoke with John Lewis today about refund. Whilst there is no issue in returning it, they do charge £29.99 as a collection and return fee. I queried this as I shouldn't have to pay to return something that's faulty. In the end I have decided to take it back to a local store that has it's own large car park (High Wycombe). Spoke to the store and they have told me the best place to park for returning a 55" TV.

22 hours ago, Martlea said:

Let's trust the 'update' released yesterday does indeed fix this and other LG WebOs or TV issues. Interestingly I received a reply to a request for help from LG Tech about my Hard Disk recordings stopping after 3 minutes.

LG actually advised me previously to use a USB Hard Disk & not a USB Stick as the sticks don't work despite advertising to the contrary. They informed me it should be a USB 2.0 compatible device. I purchased a 1Tb one. It is powered from the USB port, less than 5v as stated in the LG User Guide.

Tech misread my email and assumed I was using a  USB Stick. Then said LG TV will not work reliably with USB powered Hard Disk. I have asked them to give me the name or details of a USB hard disk LG know actually does work with the only 1 single USB port on this TV set or refund me cost of trying multiple hard disks until I find the 'one' that does what LG advertise/promise their 'smart' TV's will do. Not holding my breath.

Hi there, I have same issue, my tv has sw file 05.30.03 dated 31.10.17. LG website has no update that I can see?

Please can you advise where you got update from?

Many Thanks

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Agooner said:

Mine is OLED55B7V. I'm UK based so there maybe different country versions, ie between DVB and ATSC.

mine is 43LG594V

after the software update last week - YouTube appears to be a lot more 'stable'

Lot less 'jumping out' due to;       this app will restart to free up more memory

Watched 2.5 hours on Friday - no crash

same Saturday

Watched Coachella over 3 hours on Sunday and it did crash out once.

I bought the LG 49UJ701V TV recently.  I get the message regularly. I found my only recourse is to switch the TV off completely at mains. This seems to solve this for a while. I think I have resigned myself to having to do this now and then. Something I never had to do with old Samsung smart TV.

Surprised that such a fundamental issue with a supposed smart TV  has not  been addressed.

I only had the problem using the web browser to view streamed TV on BT Sport. I have watched 4K videos on Youtube with no problems. I have watched programs, including 4K (Worldcup), using the BBC iPlayer with no problems.

My suspicion is that the streamed TV from BT Sport has metatdata which the Web Browser app does not support and doesn't know what to do with it, so crashes.  BBC's iPlayer, Netflix, Now TV and the ITV Hub have apps which support the corresponding channels and presumably will manage any metadata correctly, but there is no app (afaik) for BT Sport. 

We had the same issue.  Unplug your tv and press the on/off button on the tv, hold it in for 10 seconds while the tv is unplugged.  Then wait 20 seconds more and plug the tv back in and turn it back on.  This solved the problem for us.
Thank you sir, this helped. For how long we'll see.
LG OLED C7 webos 3.5 in my case.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

On 9/8/2018 at 3:43 AM, Ang said:

We had the same issue.  Unplug your tv and press the on/off button on the tv, hold it in for 10 seconds while the tv is unplugged.  Then wait 20 seconds more and plug the tv back in and turn it back on.  This solved the problem for us.

I got this annoying problem two days ago. It was working perfectly all the time.

Model LG-49LJ594V | Purchased Date    13/03/2018 (UK, Scotland)

link hidden, please login to view

Watching my TV through antenna or WiFi. No cable from the Virgin box. 

Did the reset. Thanks Mr Ang. Helped now. Needed to do Auto tuning for the Freeview program list.

Cheers, Egils

On 9/8/2018 at 9:43 AM, Ang said:

Worked Perfect. Thanks for the answer and saving me all the reset process 

I have been using the LG 43" UHD Smart TV with WebOS now for about a year.  At first it seemed to run fine and continuously while watching all manner of material.  Recently I added a Synology NAS Server to my network, and I've noticed interruptions regarding the "must restart the app to free more memory" while running the Plex app. I have tried various things to resolve the problem but the only thing I have found useful is to cut the power "just to the TV".   I have my cables tied neatly together with ties, and as I'm not sure which is for the TV at my power strip, I find it easiest just to pull the plug on back of the TV.   This should theoretically free up the memory just on the TV's internal memory.  After trying this I have been able to watch any content which was previously stopping to free memory, without any problems for a least a couple of days now.  

If this happens again, the first thing I will try is unplugging the TV for several seconds and try again.

Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/3239-this-app-will-now-restart-to-free-up-more-memory/

I have been using the LG 43" UHD Smart TV with WebOS now for about a year.  At first it seemed to run fine and continuously while watching all manner of material.  Recently I added a Synology NAS Server to my network, and I've noticed interruptions regarding the "must restart the app to free more memory" while running the Plex app. I have tried various things to resolve the problem but the only thing I have found useful is to cut the power "just to the TV".   I have my cables tied neatly together with ties, and as I'm not sure which is for the TV at my power strip, I find it easiest just to pull the plug on back of the TV.   This should theoretically free up the memory just on the TV's internal memory.  After trying this I have been able to watch any content which was previously stopping to free memory, without any problems for a least a couple of days now.  

If this happens again, the first thing I will try is unplugging the TV for several seconds and try again.

Original Content From:

Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/2532-this-app-will-now-restart-to-free-up-more-memory/page/3/

Hi my lg 32lk61 keeps bringing up the memory error issue and have talked to lg service regarding the issue. asked me to take a screen shot and a copy of the invoice so it can be returned for service/repair

I like other believe there is not enough memory installed in the lg smart tvs ( no issues with my samsung tvs

is there a way to get into the service menu to look how much memory is installed then when my tv comes back I can check to see if there has been a memory upgrade

tv screen error.jpg

8 hours ago, mike4scuba said:

Hi my lg 32lk61 keeps bringing up the memory error issue and have talked to lg service regarding the issue. asked me to take a screen shot and a copy of the invoice so it can be returned for service/repair

I like other believe there is not enough memory installed in the lg smart tvs ( no issues with my samsung tvs

is there a way to get into the service menu to look how much memory is installed then when my tv comes back I can check to see if there has been a memory upgrade

tv screen error.jpg

I have the LG UJ6300 43" Smart TV and I've had that problem.  See my post above from 2/27/20.  On my set one need only go to "Settings" on the remote,  "All Settings" "General", tab over to the right and select "TV Information" and you should see "Available Internal Storage".  Mine is 0.62 GB.  That seems perilously low for an advanced UHD smart TV to me.  The solution for me is to just cut the power "Just to the TV" for several seconds, and plug it back in and try again.  

I was receiving the same message, but after restarting the TV by switching off, and unplugging the TV only for 20 or 30 seconds solved to problem.   I have had to repeat the process once or twice since then, but it only takes a couple of minutes, and the set has worked like new since.  If it happens again, just repeat the process.

Thanks for the reply I managed to find the internal memory size 0.38/0.45 Gb 

Lg have now picked up the TV for repair. Will be interesting if the repair includes an increase in memory and if that cures the issue

As the tv is fairly new I don't believe I should be carrying out any resetting however small. It should work right out of the box