Welcome to LG webOS - Smart TV, Phone, Signage, Appliance User to User Support Forum

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Pat

this app will now restart to free up more memory

Question

Bought a new 65" Smart TV, all the preoaded apps You Tube, Netflix etc  are restarting after couple of minutes with "this app will now restart to free up more memory" message.

3 people like this

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

20 answers to this question

14 hours ago, dalnz said:

Just got our 50UH5500 set up yesterday, was looking forward to streaming The Americans straight from FX website.  Gave up after about 5 of these "App will restart" crashes.  And finished  watching on the iPad. Not going to put up with this, will happily return and let Best Buy sell it open box to some other sucker.  Where is the LG support input on this forum?  I'm brand new as of today, but is it just us b****ing at each other (WITH each other??)??

Try doing the reset, so far it hasn't crashed out on me.

18 hours ago, Johan Korthout said:

What reset? A factory default reset? How to do the reset? Thanks for the info.

I'd also like to know this!

Im Getting the same message too. It may have something to do with a bug in the new update. How long is it before your system says the app needs to restart? For me its a few seconds.

Same here, very annoying

I'm having the same issue with version 04.30.70,  LGwebostv uh6035 is the model information that i got off the tv.

For me, it was crashing out when i had an Apple TV connected to the HDMI 1 (i had to resort to watching netflix via the apple tv since when i used the built in app on the tv, it would crash)

But now, even when an app isn't used, and it's just on HDMI1 it crashed with the same error.

I called support and they suggested that i do a reset. i did that and i then tried using it again, and so far i haven't had any issues. The apps take a while to launch, but that's about it. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and call "advanced technical support" if it still doesn't work.

This is SO annoying.

I'm having the same issue with version 04.30.70,  LGwebostv uh6035 is the model information that i got off the tv.

For me, it was crashing out when i had an Apple TV connected to the HDMI 1 (i had to resort to watching netflix via the apple tv since when i used the built in app on the tv, it would crash)

But now, even when an app isn't used, and it's just on HDMI1 it crashed with the same error.

I called support and they suggested that i do a reset. i did that and i then tried using it again, and so far i haven't had any issues. The apps take a while to launch, but that's about it. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and call "advanced technical support" if it still doesn't work.

This is SO annoying.

1 person likes this

Just got our 50UH5500 set up yesterday, was looking forward to streaming The Americans straight from FX website.  Gave up after about 5 of these "App will restart" crashes.  And finished  watching on the iPad. Not going to put up with this, will happily return and let Best Buy sell it open box to some other sucker.  Where is the LG support input on this forum?  I'm brand new as of today, but is it just us b****ing at each other (WITH each other??)??

1 person likes this

My 55UH615 is doing the same thing, 10mins or so in and it states 'this app will now restart to create more memory' 

Very frustrating. 

19 hours ago, Johan Korthout said:

1 hour ago, BAZ said:

I'd also like to know this!

Yes, a default factory reset to the TV. Go to the settings button on your control (gear icon)>all settings>general>reset to initial settings.

It's been a few months since my post and i haven't had it crash out on me since.

I get this problem too. Very annoying.

You can simply uncheck the option (Quick start+) and the problem should be solved. 😉😉

2 people like this

This didn't work for me. Reset did help but not solved the problem when streaming 4k video on up to date YouTube app. LG 40UH630V new in June 2017. Any other advice? LG technicians perhaps?  

Just got this issue recently and I did all the workaround commented here but nothing worked even the resetting. So frustrating ,  I cant even watched a single episode of anime  using the browser it keeps restarting..

I also had this issue with my 65sj850v model. it is brand new 2017 model actually. I turned off Quickstart+(I am not sure the exact name of it), Delete unuse app.

Connect Lan instead Wi-Fi. All solution was not helpful.

My issue was only happened when I was using Web Browsing and watching movie clip.  And I realize that it was happening only few specific web page made by Java. I thought this problem comes from that web page. since I am not using this webpage and not accessing. Problem is not happening again.

On 24/03/2017 at 7:01 AM, kengutierrez said:

Try doing the reset, so far it hasn't crashed out on me.

doesn't work, still crashing, I want an app update from LG, I just made an account to complain about its SO Annoying!

1 person likes this

I'm having the same issue and I would love to take some of the advice posted by resetting to factory. The problem is I can't keep the settings open long enough to reset. I keep getting that same message "this app will restart to free up more memory". It's very frustrating. I've always been a fan of LG but this isn't making me love the product at all. 

Does anyone have any other ways I can clear my memory. I own a 55UJ6300.

I have the same issue with LG 43UJ630V  when playing YouTube via WebOS and it is really annoying. Fortunately I also have a Roku streaming stick with YouTube and all the other apps and this works perfectly so far but it would be good if LG could fix their WebOS or TV software bug. As always with these companies the usual advice to 'reset' never works it just means having to set up the TV all over again.  So far very disappointed with this WebOS , the guide takes forever to load and cannot be clicked to show  genres. Trying to freeze picture just triggers the 'cannot record to this storage device' error even though it does manage to record to USB stick via record button or guide. Even my 5 year old Toshiba could record to USB storage so LG are years behind with this. I have also removed/deleted all the unwanted 'apps' I never use hoping this might 'free up some memory' but it hasn't. Anything else I could try - apart from buying Panasonic?

On 5/28/2017 at 9:45 PM, Moataz AboGaafer said:

You can simply uncheck the option (Quick start+) and the problem should be solved. 😉😉

I will give this a try see if this improves. Thank you!

I had this same behavior when the TV would try to update to the latest firmware (This app will now restart...).  The issue was that my home firewall was blocking access to the LG servers.  Temporarily turning off the web filter/firewall allowed the update to progress without issue.  I'd suggest that LG check to see if the download servers are available and print out an appropriate message in there next update.