Quantcast

This app will now restart to free up more memory

ironmonkey

Question

Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.

I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.

As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.

My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Martlea said:

Had the same problem, LG support were useless only advising TV's are not like smart phones so customers who purchased them thinking the smart TV features would actually work were mistaken so there!

Anyway after trying all the 'fixes' people suggested such as turning off Quick Start and other 'features' and finding this made no difference I saw another solution a member found. This member like me had both Ethernet and WiFi connections enabled and by turning off the WiFi everywhere it is enabled this fixed the YouTube restarting error. I tried this and it has worked for me as well, no more annoying YouTube restarting errors - so far!

Now if I can just get this pile of doo doo TV to stop reformatting my recording hard drive I might have an OK set.

Thanks for the reply. Yes is really annoying trying to get through to LG about a problem that a lot of people obviously have. According to LG, they have never heard of this problem.... Wow!! So obviously LG either don't bother reading any of the many complaints on their "Customer service" site, or they are totally aware of this problem and just lie about it.

I have already tried what you suggest, I read about this a week or two ago, we have a fixed line connection through the Ethernet cable, I turned off all the options for WiFi and just about every other option that is available in the setup menu.

The crazy thing is, that there is absolutely no point having a so called Smart TV, that you simply cant use, these products are not fit for purpose and I really regret buying this TV, I actually spend more time trying to talk to the shop that I bought it from and LG service centre, than I do watching this stupid TV.

Ohh well you live and learn and I have learned to never buy another LG product. 

2 minutes ago, Habik said:

It is a TV in first place I say.

Does it do when you hook a laptop via HDMI?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I have never hooked up a Laptop via HDMI. I have used the mirroring function to sync with my computer and I don't remember having the problem when I did that. However the internet here is not so fast, so this is not really a solution. I did read someplace that there is a way to use a USB stick as extra internal memory, but this is just nonsense and does not work.

I had this self same problem, and I found the answer elsewhere.

Go into settings and change the tv from Fast Start/Standby, and put it so as the TV actually turns OF when you hit the power button.   This will clear the memory that is caching and using up the small amount of memory available.

It might mean that you have to turn off the TV during use, but at least it solves your problem for now.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keefy said:

I had this self same problem, and I found the answer elsewhere.

Go into settings and change the tv from Fast Start/Standby, and put it so as the TV actually turns OF when you hit the power button.   This will clear the memory that is caching and using up the small amount of memory available.

It might mean that you have to turn off the TV during use, but at least it solves your problem for now.

I already tried switching of the fast start, I read about this and tried it, but it did not work for me. I deleted all the apps, thinking that they might be the cause, taking up some memory, but it is still the same. I even tried turning off the magic stick and using the normal remote control, because I read that was the problem. The there are people who think that it is a problem with the version of Flash that Webos uses, apparently its out of date, but there is no way to change that. At this point I am scratching my head.

Thanks for the reply anyway, really appreciate you trying to help.  

The message "This app will now restart to free up more memory" is a  trivialized, totally BS description of  the raw truth: "This app/process has crashed... and needs to be restarted".

So for whatever reason your app or process has crashed ( you don´t tell us which app you used thwn it crashed), you´ll never know the real reason since you don´t get any detailed error descriptions.  It COULD have something to do with low memory, but it´s not sure. I also get app crashes from time to time with the preinstalled apps, mainly SmartShare. I NEVER use the Browser, it´s slow, painfully lacking in featues and everything... also crashes a lot, specially when using Video... stay away.

12 hours ago, Kusie said:

The message "This app will now restart to free up more memory" is a  trivialized, totally BS description of  the raw truth: "This app/process has crashed... and needs to be restarted".

So for whatever reason your app or process has crashed ( you don´t tell us which app you used thwn it crashed), you´ll never know the real reason since you don´t get any detailed error descriptions.  It COULD have something to do with low memory, but it´s not sure. I also get app crashes from time to time with the preinstalled apps, mainly SmartShare. I NEVER use the Browser, it´s slow, painfully lacking in featues and everything... also crashes a lot, specially when using Video... stay away.

You are correct there is no way to find out what the real reason is for the app crash. I have looked at a lot of complaints about this problem and there is a lot of speculation, but no facts, partly because LG don't give a sh.t about their customers. But this problem remains.

The reason why I am saying that it could be something to do with low memory.... is because that's what it states, you are right, there is no information what so ever about the app that crashes, what might have caused the problem, I am stuck with having to ask people on sites like this, because I am not getting any help from LG or the shop that I just bought this brick from.

That app that seems to crash the most is Youtube, but I get crashes with playing Youtube though the browser. Also I get crashes when playing a movie or any kind of clips through other sites when using the web browser. I have deleted every one of the pre-installed apps and I don't have any other apps installed. I have turned off Smartshare,  every single thing that I can see in the setup menu that could use any memory in any way, I have done a factory reset, I constantly delete browsing data.... but I still have this problem. I agree with you about the Browser.... its rubbish, almost unusable, you can not even open two pages at the same time... that's crazy. I really regret buying this expensive brick, if my old 32 inch TV was 65 inch it would be better than this waste of money.  

I had a very good look around for information about smart TV's when I was buying this TV, but nobody said anything about this problem, this is the kind of thing that you find out after you bought the product... then its too late.   

Had the same problem, LG support were useless only advising TV's are not like smart phones so customers who purchased them thinking the smart TV features would actually work were mistaken so there!

Anyway after trying all the 'fixes' people suggested such as turning off Quick Start and other 'features' and finding this made no difference I saw another solution a member found. This member like me had both Ethernet and WiFi connections enabled and by turning off the WiFi everywhere it is enabled this fixed the YouTube restarting error. I tried this and it has worked for me as well, no more annoying YouTube restarting errors - so far!

Now if I can just get this pile of doo doo TV to stop reformatting my recording hard drive I might have an OK set.

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the same issue. (LG 49UJ670v).  But mainly happens when i'm browsing through the TV settings when im using Netflix or youtube. Nothing ive tried fixes the problem.

Also for what its worth I'm having trouble with the audio sync when outputting  surround sound to my home theatre system. The audio is always slightly late compared to the picture using both optical out and HDMI to my amp. Setting to PCM is in sync but to get 5.1 audio from the TV you have to set the output to "auto" and then the AV sync adjustment doesn't even work. -5 to plus 15 makes no difference. only effects the sound if set to PCM or the internal TV speakers.

Ive had at least 3 firmware updates since owning the TV but nothing has been fixed.

regretting buying this TV

Well I thought I had found a fix (above post) some time ago to the YouTube app 'Restarting.....' error LG deny happens but this has returned again now so I'm out of suggestions other than don't buy LG TV's if you want Smart features that actually work!

Better off getting a cheap add on like the latest Roku stick paired with a much less expensive 'dumb' TV.

Also the current YouTube app is now dreadful as well as it keeps refreshing to fresh screen, really wish devs would stop playing around with formats just for the sake of it. 

Have struggled for more than a year to ensure smooth running of apps and reliable connectivity on my new LG 43" smart TV. Finally, the clouds have started to clear, for me at least, by applying the following solutions helped by others making sensible suggestions here and elsewhere online:

1. Use a TP Powerline kit to kid your TV into thinking it has an ethernet connection (i.e. if it doesn't already, an ethernet cable runs from the router directly into your TV's ethernet socket). This investment is little more than £25 and will give greatly increased internet speed and reliability.  I am on Vodafone SuperFibre, so somewhere around 70 to 76. Powerline very easy to set up in around 5 minutes. It requires a traditional electric socket by the TV.  For the price, you get two 3-pin plugs and two short ethernet cables. One socket needs to be by your TV, so that one ethernet cable can run from the first plug to the TV's ethernet socket. The second plug is put into another electric socket on the same ring in the same room. The second ethernet cable runs from the second plug directly into the router, and is paired with the first plug simply by pressing the button on it.  Bob's your uncle if both Powerline plugs are showing 3 green lights. These plugs are never switched off. Your TV now assumes it has an ethernet connection and stops wasting memory trying to look for a wi-fi signal.

2. Disable permanently the TV's wi-fi connection by going into the general settings. My 670UV TV's internet settings indicate WIRED CONNECTION thanks to the Powerline kit, as I cannot locate the TV conveniently near the router in my living room in order to benefit from using an ethernet cable. In addition, I have grown convinced my TV's wi-fi reception is its biggest Achilles heel, as it has never worked from Day One.

3. Disable FAST START in the general settings so that TV performs a cold start (will cost an extra 2 seconds, I reckon) with empty memory every time it is switched on with the remote. It is a fallacy that this wastes any extra electricity, and seems to be an essential part of the solution suggested here.

The apparent result of applying the above three steps:

1. No buffering and no stalling or crashing of any of the TV's apps, notably iPlayer, which has up till now been dreadful and pretty much unusable. Apps generally also load quickly and smoothly.

2. Seamless YouTube play including all 4K content which was crashing all the time after a few minutes' play.

3. Better and more stable ITV HUB and Channel 5 apps, which have also hitherto often frozen or crashed. 

These steps have given my TV a new lease of life, as I had often toyed with returning it to John Lewis on the grounds that it doesn't work. Now, a month into the TV's new regime, I have a TV properly performing as a SMART tv, and can keep what hair I have left after tearing so much out.

Edited by froggiewrench
additional detail given
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been using the LG 43" UHD Smart TV with WebOS now for about a year.  At first it seemed to run fine and continuously while watching all manner of material.  Recently I added a Synology NAS Server to my network, and I've noticed interruptions regarding the "must restart the app to free more memory" while running the Plex app.

I have tried various things to resolve the problem but the only thing I have found useful is to cut the power "just to the TV".   I have my cables tied neatly together with ties, and as I'm not sure which is for the TV at my power strip, I find it easiest just to pull the plug on back of the TV.   This should theoretically free up the memory just on the TV's internal memory.  After trying this I have been able to watch any content which was previously stopping to free memory, without any problems for a least a couple of days now.  

If this happens again, the first thing I will try is unplugging the TV for several seconds and try again.

Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/4636-this-app-will-now-restart-to-free-up-more-memory/

I've also had this issue ,mostly with YouTube,Netflix,nowtv,and when watching a YouTube video mirrored from my phone , I've given up calling LG as you just the runaround  turn off TV,reset TV, pull leads out and reset TV etc etc etc.i also have similar issue with the stored satelite channels in the 'My Channels' tab of the webos menu, complain over and over to LG customer service,but just get the usual plus ohh we've not heard of either issue,but stating then they were working on a software fix,but more likely a hardware issue!,sadly I've been given the run round for several years and my TV is out of warranty (good work LG)

On 4/11/2020 at 5:15 AM, markeb said:

I've also had this issue ,mostly with YouTube,Netflix,nowtv,and when watching a YouTube video mirrored from my phone , I've given up calling LG as you just the runaround  turn off TV,reset TV, pull leads out and reset TV etc etc etc.i also have similar issue with the stored satelite channels in the 'My Channels' tab of the webos menu, complain over and over to LG customer service,but just get the usual plus ohh we've not heard of either issue,but stating then they were working on a software fix,but more likely a hardware issue!,sadly I've been given the run round for several years and my TV is out of warranty (good work LG)

Yes i also had the same BS from pretty much everybody from the shop staff who told me that i could stream anything and everything without a problem, to the LG Support who just told me the same BS about turning the TV off and on, resetting to factory default ect ect i even had one of the LG support telling me that it must be the ethernet cable, because some CAT5 are apparently different to others?? . This is most definitely a hardware issue and this is something that LG have known about for years, they keep saying that they dont know about these issues, but customers have been posting about these problems on this LG page for years, they just dont care once they have your money thats it. 

11 hours ago, Jerry Butler said:

Hey everyone, just started having the same issue today. I just now hooked up an Ethernet cable and it would seem that my issue has been resolved. It seems that the wifi deafness on smart tv's is a logical thought.

I have had my TV going through an Ethernet cable for my internet from day one and i have had these problems from the start. I have even changed the Ethernet cable on advice from LG (at my cost) and nothing changed. I have 300 Mbps download speed so i am quite sure its not the internet that is the problem. There have been quite a few times where i have messed about with the TV and changed the settings and deleted everything, turned off all the settings in the setup, deleted all the apps and i got a little more delay in the time i got the error message, then it was back again. I hope that you are correct and your TV is working better for you. 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:15 AM, markeb said:

Yes thats the reality of this, this is a hardware issue. I also tried the Screen mirroring a couple of times and the first time it seemed to work ok, but i did not watch it for more than 10 minutes, just wanted to set it up and see what it looked like. LG are beyond hopeless and they will just BS you and lie to you until your warranty ends and then thats it "ohh we've not heard of either issue,but stating then they were working on a software fix." I have seen posts to LG from several years ago, so thats a lie that they dont know about this issue, but they still churn out these sub standard TV's.  

On 2/5/2020 at 7:42 AM, Kevin Glenn said:

I have been using the LG 43" UHD Smart TV with WebOS now for about a year.  At first it seemed to run fine and continuously while watching all manner of material.  Recently I added a Synology NAS Server to my network, and I've noticed interruptions regarding the "must restart the app to free more memory" while running the Plex app.

I have tried various things to resolve the problem but the only thing I have found useful is to cut the power "just to the TV".   I have my cables tied neatly together with ties, and as I'm not sure which is for the TV at my power strip, I find it easiest just to pull the plug on back of the TV.   This should theoretically free up the memory just on the TV's internal memory.  After trying this I have been able to watch any content which was previously stopping to free memory, without any problems for a least a couple of days now.  

If this happens again, the first thing I will try is unplugging the TV for several seconds and try again.

Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/4636-this-app-will-now-restart-to-free-up-more-memory/

Sorry for the late reply. Its good news that you seem to have some positive results from the method that you mentioned. LG basically tell people to do something very similar to this, turn the TV off and this is supposed to clear the Cache and the cookies, they are pushing this out as a fix for the "this app will restart" error. But the problem is only a temporary fix, when i have tried this method, i usually get between 2 and 4 days before i get the error message back again and this is not from watching anything  for any length of time, just lite viewing.

Its been a few months now since you posted and i would be interested in an update if you managed to stop the error message completely.

On 2/16/2018 at 6:03 PM, Martlea said:

Sorry for the late reply. Its great that you seem to have a positive result. I tried pretty much anything and everything, including the tips that you talk about, but for me, there was no difference. I would be interested in knowing if you still dont get the error message after a few months.

53 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

I have had my TV going through an Ethernet cable for my internet from day one and i have had these problems from the start. I have even changed the Ethernet cable on advice from LG (at my cost) and nothing changed. I have 300 Mbps download speed so i am quite sure its not the internet that is the problem. There have been quite a few times where i have messed about with the TV and changed the settings and deleted everything, turned off all the settings in the setup, deleted all the apps and i got a little more delay in the time i got the error message, then it was back again. I hope that you are correct and your TV is working better for you. 

It is, in fact, working better as i have had no issues since i plugged my ethernet in.

22 hours ago, Jerry Butler said:

It is, in fact, working better as i have had no issues since i plugged my ethernet in.

Thats great news that you are not having issues. So you say that you had the error message and then you plugged in your ethernet cable and that was it, no more errors? 

You were using Wifi before and you did not need to change any other settings, or turn the TV off to delete the cookies and free up the cache. Because like i daid before i have been using an ethernat cable from day one and i did not fix anything, so this just makes me think that my TV, and everybody else's TV has a manufacturing fault, if it can be fixed with just an ethernat cable.

Anyway thanks for the update, its good that you seem to have fixed your problem.

57 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

So you say that you had the error message and then you plugged in your ethernet cable and that was it, no more errors? 

Correct. I was thinking about the "deaf wifi" idea and I thought I would try ethernet rather than use wifi. One other thing, make sure you turn on the ethernet connection in the settings so the tv will recognize your connection. (Disclaimer: I can't promise the same result for everyone but it's worth a shot).

On 8/31/2020 at 12:03 PM, Jerry Butler said:

Correct. I was thinking about the "deaf wifi" idea and I thought I would try ethernet rather than use wifi. One other thing, make sure you turn on the ethernet connection in the settings so the tv will recognize your connection. (Disclaimer: I can't promise the same result for everyone but it's worth a shot).

Thats actually confused me even more Jerry haha. I have always had my TV set up with Ethernet and never with the Wifi. I did see another post where they were sugesting that you need to turn of the option for Wifi in the TV settings, so that both options are not checked, but i have covered that also and i still have the error message.

At the moment i dont really use the internet option for the TV, because it is rubbish, when i do use it, i am forced to use an app, because LG seem to be cutting back on their support for anything that is not app based. Now i use an Andriod TV box and i stream through that, i can pretty much pick and choose what i want and download anything i want, its also got 16Gigs of memory istead of the 500 megabytes the TV has, when i use the Android box, i never get the message.

Anyway thanks for the heads up, i am honestly happy that you have a solution for your problem.

I have the same "Memory" problems, I run of Ethernet because the wifi is blanked out, I emptied the cashe  and set for Private viewing, that seemed to work for a while but back to the same, having to switch off the app for the memory, also get the Network cable not connected, Network cable connected, that no one seems to have got fixed either!

I have come to the conclusion LG are just crap!  This is my second LG tv , the one I had a few years ago was lcd, it had a good picture, but took 20 minuets to start, 13 months after buying! The sound was crap, I had new speakers and a new motherboard fitted, I stopped at £220 and binned it, looks like this piece of junk will go the same way, expensive lesson, So NOT buy LG! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have the same "Memory" problems, I run of Ethernet because the wifi is blanked out, I emptied the cashe  and set for Private viewing, that seemed to work for a while but back to the same, having to switch off the app for the memory, also get the Network cable not connected, Network cable connected, that no one seems to have got fixed either!

I have come to the conclusion LG are just crap!  This is my second LG tv , the one I had a few years ago was lcd, it had a good picture, but took 20 minuets to start, 13 months after buying! The sound was crap, I had new speakers and a new motherboard fitted, I stopped at £220 and binned it, looks like this piece of junk will go the same way, expensive lesson, So NOT buy LG! 

Yes its crazy really. When i bought this TV, i did quite a bit of research and really asked a lot of people in quite a few different shops about "Smart TV's" and the shop staff in pretty much ever shop really pushed this LG TV. Looking back that should have sounded alarm bells.

As i have discussed here with other people, i have had my TV running the internet through an Ethernet cable from day one, i have never use the Wifi for the internet, so its very confusing when i hear other people say that using an Ethernet cable fixed this problem for them, because it certainly has not fixed my problem. I have talked to quite a few people and even had some "LG qualified" technicians out to look at the TV. They just parrot the same BS, "they have never seen this problem before" or "close the TV down every 20 minutes to delete the cache" "uninstall the apps" "reset to factory default" "stand in a corner on your head with your arse painted blue"...... actually that lasy one i have not tried, but who knows?

Too be honest this is only one of the many problems that i have with this TV. I am also starting to get randem shut downs and restarts, somtimes the screen with go black and i can hear the program in the backround, but not see the picture, when this happens i can not use any of the buttons on the "magic" remote. Pages not loading because of not enough memory, The TV not starting properly because it tells me that i am not signed in ect ect

LG are rubbish, not only are their product rubbish, but their customer service is the worst, they seriously dont give a toss what they sell to you and after they have your money... well we all know what happens then.

7 hours ago, martinr36 said:

I was having this problem on a newly purchased 32LM63 & following advice in here stuck an ethernet cable in to and my sky Q box and all now seems good.

I was having  this problem when using Prime Video

Thats good news. I think that some people have better results with the same methods than others. I also think that these better results seem to work when bypassing the Ethernet cable directly into TV. Through a Set top TV box, or some other media device and then into the TV seems to work best, because the LG simply can not handle a direct input.

Its a shame that people who buy this brand of TV then have to go and also buy another media product, just to get this product to do what they say it can do.