Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Tanya Schwartz

How do you update web browser on Lg smart tv?

Question

13 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, George Hofmeister said:

What do you want to update it to?

When I try to watch an episode on CBS it says I need to update my web browser.  I am using Chrome, so I guess it just needs to be updated to the most current version of Chrome?

17 hours ago, tlschwartz said:

When I try to watch an episode on CBS it says I need to update my web browser.  I am using Chrome, so I guess it just needs to be updated to the most current version of Chrome?

OK, so I am guessing that CBS either uses Flash on their site or if they do not their site does not recognise the webOS browser ID string.  If it is the former then you are out of luck, LG does not support Flash and will not as it is problematic to programme for, and is going end of life in the near future.  If it is the later then CBS web masters need to up their game and get it sorted.  If CBS is still using Flash again their web master need to update their website to newer technologies.

Chrome is not the browser in webOS so you will not be able to update it to the latest version.

17 hours ago, tlschwartz said:

Thank you for this information.  What browser should I use then in webOS?

There is a built-in web browser that is the only one you will be able to use.  Again if you are not going to be able to view sites that use Adobe Flash or sites that do not cater for the webOS browser, in both of these cases you need to approach  the site owners to improve their site.

How can you use chrome in webos lgtv if it only uses the native browser?  And have the same problem with cbs web site not playing back full episodes.

9 hours ago, slclemens said:

How can you use chrome in webos lgtv if it only uses the native browser?  And have the same problem with cbs web site not playing back full episodes.

You cannot install the Google's Chrome browser in webOS as it does not have a native port.  Currently the only web browser that can be used in webOS is the one it comes with.  Neither is Adobe's Flash supported by webOS.

On 31/03/2018 at 9:32 PM, slclemens said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Any chance LG is going to fix the web browser so it actually works with major sites like cbs?

It depends what you mean by fix.  If you want Adobe Flash support, then no that is never going to happen.  If you want to view a website that does not recognise the webOS browser or is incompatible for some other reason (excluding Flash) then it is probably going to be down to the owner of the website to fix it.  The webOS browser is HTML5 compatible, yes it could do with some improvement but it is far from terrible.  I do not know what the state of DRM support is in the browser, this would be an issue for instance with Spotify, but this could of course be circumvented by a proper app.

• Like 1

There are a couple of options.

• See if there is a CBS app in the LG webstore. I do not believe there is, but I have not checked recently. There is CBS All Access, which is a pay service.  It has some great content, new and old, for just a few bucks per month, and will have a lot more than is available on their website.
  • Get a Chromecast. This would be my number one suggestion. With it, you can use the CBS app on your phone/tablet to cast right to the TV, or from a Chrome browser on your desktop. the Chromecast does all the work, with the mobile device just acting as a remote, so you can continue to use it while casting. There are other devices, like Roku and Amazon Fire, but I am not familiar with their specific app or casting support. I can tell you that, last I checked, Chromecast is the only device that supports screen-mirroring from both iOS and Android devices.

LG sells us a large screen smart tv with a web browser as a prominent feature, it is implicit that it works with major web sites like cbs so we can use it. And there is no app or add on.  It is LG’s responsibility. 

Tanya,

The web browser is built in as others have stated. And it sucks. Try projecting from your computer to the tv screen. It is easy to do and will allow you to run what you wish as the tv presentation is just a mirror of your computer screen.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Question: WEBOS 3.0 BROWSER DOES NOT SUPPORT HTML5

Hi, the webos default browser does not support html5. Using the default browser, I went to Netflix site, login and when I tired to play any movie, I get redirected that the browser does not support html5.  Can LG release an update to fix this. I am on webos 3.0.2.

By im7778, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 5 answers
    • Question: Can’t update Hulu from Hulu +

Have earliest oled smart TV which has Hulu+ but can’t upgrade to Hulu with liveTV. Had to get Amazon Fire to get it. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to delete app and get app I need?   Thanks . [email protected]

By MeLu, in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 0 answers
    • Netflix on WebOS Browser

We want to watch netflix on the browser not the app. The login page appears but when we click on the Play button a screen appears talking about HTML5 and Silverlight. We know what HTML5 and Silverlight are but find it strange that the WebOS browser does not support this markup language on its player. Oddly YouTube works fine in the browser. Does anybody know how to get the WebOS browser to run HTML5?

By Mr G, in LG webOS Smart TV Discussion

• 18 replies
    • Question: how to "forget/skip" wrong XPLAY update

Hello,   I've read on the XPLAY forum about various problems with the latest version, so I decided to postpone the update until the issues are solved. I really don't know where the problem is but the developer said: "They have approved a quiet old version what has no online update functionality and the only way to fix anything or add new functionality is to send it to LG QA team … but they arrrrr soooooo much slow. Ive send them (on several days ago) version latest dev version with online update functionality. It will allow me to react to bugs much faster …"   My setup is: TV: LG 55EG920V, WebOS 2.0, Software version 04.25.70 XPLAY: 20180322.1.2.8 (ONLINE) PLEX: 1.13.8.5395   The version available for update in LG content store is 2.189.171 (08.10.2018). Many users complained they couldn't login anymore after upgrading to this version.   Could you please tell me what is the correct version should I update and when it'll be available for my TV? Also, is there any way to skip this update?  I just want to avoid an accidental update which would broke the functionality...   Kind regards,

By Mihai B., in LG webOS Smart TV Questions

• Awaiting best answer

• 0 votes
      • 12 answers
    • Question: because I can not install or update apps?

Hi people,

Recently bought one 49LF6350 and one 43LF6350 and the two models have the same problem, whenever I try to open an application, informs me that I have to update (required update, you must update this app to launch it. the update may cause data to be stored deleted.), and when I try to update, it gives an error message (application has not Been instaled. try again). It happens to apps also store to at new install. what may be occurring?

software version: 3:03:04
      WebOS TV version: 2.0.2-3928 (behive-badlands)

thanks.

By Vanilton Coelho, in LG webOS Smart TV App Questions

• Awaiting best answer
      • 0 votes
      • 13 answers
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By ThatboiZee
      I have been having problems watching movies on LG web browser on my smart Tv. But I have downloaded a TV cast app on my iPhone and on my Tv off LG App Store. Now using these apps I can stream movies onto smart Tv using Tv cast app and it dose not crash or say App will now will restart to free up memory.
    • By s_mcleod
      Howdy,

Bought myself an LG 60UH770T-HT (in Australia) and love it.
      It's the first 'smart' TV I've seen where the OS doesn't make me want to make it un-smart, Android on TVs is just awful in my experience.

Is running LG Software version 3.17.20 at present and Web OS 3.1.2-1217 (dreadlocks-denali).

I'm really keen to find out if I can install 3rd party apps such as a replacement web browser for the very limited one that came installed with the TV etc....

Things I'd like to do / find out if I can do:
      Upgrade the inbuilt hard drive to a larger SSD. Install a better web browser (one that's updated, security patched, allows downloads etc...). See if I can enable any more advanced settings. Customise the interface layout. Train the smart remote to the IR codes for my QUAD Vena integrated amp. I contacted LG via twitter and they weren't at all helpful, essentially blew me off to talk over the phone then changed that to logging something with the Australian only website, they didn't even respond when I said that the QUAD was a UK brand and widely used all over the world, they made it pretty clear they didn't care. Twitter convo started here: https://twitter.com/s_mcleod/status/756353546245672961 Moved to a DM convo LG support blowing me off.pdf Contribute back any learning / information I find out to help others. Mirror my iPhone directly to the TV, I'm hoping there's an Airplay receiver app out there somewhere. Add Getflix, or a quick way to switch between DNS servers to the UI.  
      And probably a lot more.