Quantcast

Huge mistake I made by buying LG smart TV

Surojit Bhattacharjee

Question

The sales person in showroom pushed for LG saying it has better sound and picture richness. But obviously didn't reveal big shortcomings of non-android smart TV in today's ecosystem. This is useless as you are not having freedom to install apps of your choice from playstore. I can't even get Sonyliv. Horrible OS. Now I am trapped for years after buying this TV. Don't buy LG or other non-android TV unless you can affford to throw it in weeks. When will LG grow up?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, chriswv3 said:

@ruitertjelg

No, I wanted a horse and I paid a high price for a pretty looking donkey.

Unfortunately I was persuaded by the sales hype.

I enjoy watching quite a bit of television but now the screen is damaged by LGs bad programming.

If like many people I had not used any of the SMART TVs capabilities, I would still have ended up with a poor viewing experience.

If you don't want a professionally integrated smart TV with all that goes with it then buy a dumb TV.

You must have been very unlucky with your Smart tv, i have two lg Smart tvs

perchased last year we also see a lot tv,  we are very pleased with our LG Smart

tvs, have tried both Sony, Philps Smart tvs got rid of them thank god they were 

hopeless with the bad Andriod tv system.

I gave up on LG & webOS a while ago, but not the set itself.  86" & 3D is hard to come by, let alone not made anymore.  No idea why LG didn't have webOS as a portable OS that could be upgraded on newer TV's, just like any other OS.  Being stuck with an abandoned version (3.0) sucks, and having LG support basically tell you to but something else for apps (Fire, Apple etc.) You have no other choice.  Problem is finding a device that's app friendly and supports Dolby Vision, but I finally went with an NVIDIA Shield Pro and hope it fits the bull and fills the void.

1 minute ago, chriswv3 said:

Wrong! These devices are supposed to be much more than a mere TV , they are sold as SMART TVs . The 'smart' appellation indicates it is supposed to be much more than an ordinary TV . When I bought mine I expected it to be able to browse the Internet just as I do on a laptop but the LG WebOS system falls far short of anything I have used before. The lack of internal memory and poor memory management means it continually shuts down the browser when using memory intensive apps such as Google map's. The browser home page has fixed areas of strong colour burns marks on the screen unless you continually switch to full screen mode . Even the subtles have burned the bottom area of the screen , pixel refreshing does repair the damage, I now have to put up with a very low picture quality . I know about electronic hardware and software design and I think the LG designers should be shot! I'm advising all my friends and acquaintances to avoid LG SMART TVs.

IMO You have a wrong understanding of the capabilities of a smart tv. It is not meant to replace your laptop. Yes they do expect that consumers connect their laptop but not use the tv as a laptop. I am talking in general for any smart tv.

The capabilities you are expecting ; even an external box would fail to provide. The closest you can get is an apple tv or an nvidia shield, still they can’t replace a laptop’s capabilites. 

Second to push the sales of the newer model they omit new features from older models and provide only on new ones.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chriswv3 said:

@ruitertjelg

I enjoy watching quite a bit of television but now the screen is damaged by LGs bad programming.

If like many people I had not used any of the SMART TVs capabilities, I would still have ended up with a poor viewing experience.

If you don't want a professionally integrated smart TV with all that goes with it then buy a dumb TV.

No, you wanted a unicorn 🦄 and forgot they don't exist. A TV is called "TV" for a reason (whatever qualification you put in front of it). Otherwise the would have called it PC-with-superb-monitor. 

And unfortunately you show the distinct sign of someone who expects current day products to be perfect and flawless. Every product can break down and has its drawbacks. Plasma, LCD, OLED, CRT.... All screens existing have a tendency to burn in, some sooner then the other and individual cases differ as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chriswv3 said:

@ruitertjelg

I’ll tell you what whenever you get time go and try out the things you want from a smart tv on an android tv and samsung smart tv. None is capable of what you want.

Android has chrome so it might be better at browsing but there are chances of memory overflow . You know it took an year more for Sony to get Dolby Vision working properly. I would trade away All the smart functionality for Dolby Vision if it had come to a choice.

As far as OLED is concerned its not for everyone and  one should consider usage before buying. LG Sony or Panasonic all are similarly susceptible to burn in.

yes I also want my smart tv to be future proof but none is. 

So keep patience and think of your tv as a display and get additional hardware whether firestick or anything you like.
Down the line everyone may have to get one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Offtrail said:

I have found streaming through the Firestick gives a better picture than the same app on my OLED TV.

Seems stupid.

Anyone else have this?

Chas

If you are using freesat a lot of channels are not in hd but if watched through firestick stations are in hd so yes there is a difference nothing to do with the tv.

• Like 1

LG will loose market with completion with Chinese TV. Because of they are providing Android which hv large user & app developers base. Also cheaper than LG & Samsung. India is price sensitive market. I agree that LG picture quality is far better than Chinese branded TV.  They will face similar issues as Nokia phones, to not adopt Android and finish after years adoption Nokia loose market. Still Have time to upgrade their products & compete with China. 

Hello, 

I have LG LF6300 43" inch TV which I purchased on 2016. I checked WebOS version 4.0.0. I want to use Chrome browser of Support HTML5. So no needs to flash. I know WebOS kernel in Linux based. but not download files and install. plz help to download & install 

Thanks, 

Dinesh Gupta 

Problem is LG has dropped support for older versions of webOS so for example no CBS All Access and no Movies Anywhere apps for 2016, 2017 sets.  Plus on my 2016 the Disney+ app has never been fixed to support 4K playback.  So for me, it's not an Android thing, its whatever has the best hardware support and apps available, and actually works.  I tried the latest Fire TV cube and had high hopes but it had poor HDMI compatability and no onboard LAN only a USB dongle so streaming was terrible.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:29 AM, Surojit Bhattacharjee said:

The sales person in showroom pushed for LG saying it has better sound and picture richness. But obviously didn't reveal big shortcomings of non-android smart TV in today's ecosystem. This is useless as you are not having freedom to install apps of your choice from playstore. I can't even get Sonyliv. Horrible OS. Now I am trapped for years after buying this TV. Don't buy LG or other non-android TV unless you can affford to throw it in weeks. When will LG grow up?

Yes I feel the same. My problem is with freeview play which was specifically why I chose LG over Samsung but it just doesn’t work and the EPG is so slow to load and scroll I can’t believe they would think it was ok. Also had to take it back to factory settings twice as it was playing up. Biggest load of crap ever and one expensive mistake. Got someone from the retailer coming to look at it after lockdown and have said they will replace if faulty and hopefully if it is then they will agree to swap it with a Samsung. 

On 6/14/2020 at 4:03 AM, carljh said:

Not everybody are Android fans and I find the apps in the LG Store are perfectly adequate for my needs.  I am very happy with my LG, best set I have owned. 

I hate Android on phones tv tablets its the worst op system ever Webos is so much better easy to use

much like ios Apple

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Surojit Bhattacharjee said:

A TV is meant for providing an image on a screen. LG is the best for that. If you want to play with apps, get a tablet or pc and mirror your screen. Or even use your phone. 

Don't expect a car to fly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karan Batra said:

IMO You have a wrong understanding of the capabilities of a smart tv. It is not meant to replace your laptop. Yes they do expect that consumers connect their laptop but not use the tv as a laptop. I am talking in general for any smart tv.

The capabilities you are expecting ; even an external box would fail to provide. The closest you can get is an apple tv or an nvidia shield, still they can’t replace a laptop’s capabilites. 

Second to push the sales of the newer model they omit new features from older models and provide only on new ones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Karan,

Probably i shouldn't have mentioned a laptop, so ignore that. I expected a Smart TV  with a browser to be able to browse and navigate the internet, they seem to make a lot of claims about smart TVs in that respect.

I do not expect the browser to be designed in such a way that it actually damages the screen while browsing.

I do not expect the subtitles to gradually burn out the OLEDs during normal TV viewing.

I'm afraid I don't understand the phraseology of your comment about pushing sales.

I expect a smart TV with a browser to be FIT FOR PURPOSE and be able to browse the internet without damaging itself.

I usually inform myself before I buy something that will accompany me the next 5 years or more.

I choose LG but not OLED which I think is a technique that is too young.

If one want to be among the first to use a "new" technique then you may expect some problems.
Time invested in comparing and reading about new "features" and problems pays of in the end.

Adds and salespeople are not the best advisors, the internet is full of reviews waiting to be read.

Regards

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, ruitertjelg said:

Because WebOS is more like real Linux I prefer it over Android.
Unlike Samsung this TV-set is hardly spying on its users.

Why did you not inform yourself before buying?

Regards,
Jan

you are so correct about I should have researched everybody should due the research, Most of the research I did said the LG's tv's are great, which is true if you only want to watch  TV.  LGOS web is so restick' tive   It is not fun.  One buys a smart tv to do more than just watch TV.  I would never buy another one    

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Casey Case said:

you are so correct about I should have researched everybody should due the research, Most of the research I did said the LG's tv's are great, which is true if you only want to watch  TV.  LGOS web is so restick' tive   It is not fun.  One buys a smart tv to do more than just watch TV.  I would never buy another one    

LG TV is great in term of picture quality. But software provided with it not up gradable. Software should be upgrade otherwise not use of smart TV. Why should a person pay premium for smart tv, Simply buy normal tv and user any smart sticks. A lot of sticks available in the market.

For those that want more, buy a raspberry pi, the new one has 8 Gb memory and a 4 core processor.
Run a 64 bit Linux on it and you have a repo wih thousands of apps. If you let it boot from an external
USB 3.2 (10 Gbit) 240 Gb SSD it will be fast.

I received mine yesterday just have to assemble it.
With a bluetooth keyboard and mouse you can serv the tv and the raspi.

@Dinesh01 

I purchased MI 4K box. Turns LG smart TV into an Android one.  I was able to install Voot Zee5 and HotstarDisney. 

But the picture quality has gone very bad and there is no way I can better the screen resolution now.

I would like to know if I disconnect the MI box, will the LG TV get back to its previous condition?

Sad that there is no way to download other OTTs on the original. 

Returned my TV after contact with support, cant exist worse than them, im glad i had 30 days returnpolicy. I tell everbody to avoid LG regarding all their products, they havent been any better the last ten years and therefore nobody should buy their buggy products.

4 hours ago, krishnamaitri said:

@Dinesh01 

I purchased MI 4K box. Turns LG smart TV into an Android one.  I was able to install Voot Zee5 and HotstarDisney. 

But the picture quality has gone very bad and there is no way I can better the screen resolution now.

I would like to know if I disconnect the MI box, will the LG TV get back to its previous condition?

Sad that there is no way to download other OTTs on the original. 

Unless its a hardware fault ; disconnecting the mi box & restarting tv by turning off the power supply , your tv should be back to normal.

You can also reset from settings if it doesn’t help.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Surojit Bhattacharjee said:

It's a lesson that you must always research on the product before buying it. Never buy blindly. Well I don't regret buying my LG TV because I knew it has what I use the most. 

Keep in mind next time.  Salespeople generally push what brings in most Commission for them.  They may say they are not on commission, but could be on another reward program, so buy what you want, not what’s pushed.    My general recommendation,  OLED for movie watching,  if a gamer, get best LED you can, since oled can burn in.  I love, love, love, the picture quality on my oled.  LG does fall short on Apps etc,, so if buying LG tv, plan on also getting a Chromecast Ultra.   I had someone run 2 cat5 cables to my tv,  probably should have 3 just in case. 

Jas pred nekoj mesec zemav lg oled C9 55 tv I sum iskreno prekrasno iznenaden I zadovolen od celiot sistem tolku e dobar sto iskreno vo celost mi go za menuva normalno to koristenje na kompjuterot a isto i go koristam za igri so playstation 4 pro zaedno I sum zadovolen vo celost da televizorot ne e evtin no e prekrasen pozdrav do site od lg elections prekrasna rabota. 

• Like 1