Quantcast

Huge mistake I made by buying LG smart TV

Surojit Bhattacharjee

Question

The sales person in showroom pushed for LG saying it has better sound and picture richness. But obviously didn't reveal big shortcomings of non-android smart TV in today's ecosystem. This is useless as you are not having freedom to install apps of your choice from playstore. I can't even get Sonyliv. Horrible OS. Now I am trapped for years after buying this TV. Don't buy LG or other non-android TV unless you can affford to throw it in weeks. When will LG grow up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I usually inform myself before I buy something that will accompany me the next 5 years or more.

I choose LG but not OLED which I think is a technique that is too young.

If one want to be among the first to use a "new" technique then you may expect some problems.
Time invested in comparing and reading about new "features" and problems pays of in the end.

Adds and salespeople are not the best advisors, the internet is full of reviews waiting to be read.

Regards

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 5:13 PM, ruitertjelg said:

Because WebOS is more like real Linux I prefer it over Android.
Unlike Samsung this TV-set is hardly spying on its users.

Why did you not inform yourself before buying?

Regards,
Jan

you are so correct about I should have researched everybody should due the research, Most of the research I did said the LG's tv's are great, which is true if you only want to watch  TV.  LGOS web is so restick' tive   It is not fun.  One buys a smart tv to do more than just watch TV.  I would never buy another one    

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Casey Case said:

you are so correct about I should have researched everybody should due the research, Most of the research I did said the LG's tv's are great, which is true if you only want to watch  TV.  LGOS web is so restick' tive   It is not fun.  One buys a smart tv to do more than just watch TV.  I would never buy another one    

LG TV is great in term of picture quality. But software provided with it not up gradable. Software should be upgrade otherwise not use of smart TV. Why should a person pay premium for smart tv, Simply buy normal tv and user any smart sticks. A lot of sticks available in the market.

For those that want more, buy a raspberry pi, the new one has 8 Gb memory and a 4 core processor.
Run a 64 bit Linux on it and you have a repo wih thousands of apps. If you let it boot from an external
USB 3.2 (10 Gbit) 240 Gb SSD it will be fast.

I received mine yesterday just have to assemble it.
With a bluetooth keyboard and mouse you can serv the tv and the raspi.

@Dinesh01 

I purchased MI 4K box. Turns LG smart TV into an Android one.  I was able to install Voot Zee5 and HotstarDisney. 

But the picture quality has gone very bad and there is no way I can better the screen resolution now.

I would like to know if I disconnect the MI box, will the LG TV get back to its previous condition?

Sad that there is no way to download other OTTs on the original. 

Returned my TV after contact with support, cant exist worse than them, im glad i had 30 days returnpolicy. I tell everbody to avoid LG regarding all their products, they havent been any better the last ten years and therefore nobody should buy their buggy products.

4 hours ago, krishnamaitri said:

@Dinesh01 

I purchased MI 4K box. Turns LG smart TV into an Android one.  I was able to install Voot Zee5 and HotstarDisney. 

But the picture quality has gone very bad and there is no way I can better the screen resolution now.

I would like to know if I disconnect the MI box, will the LG TV get back to its previous condition?

Sad that there is no way to download other OTTs on the original. 

Unless its a hardware fault ; disconnecting the mi box & restarting tv by turning off the power supply , your tv should be back to normal.

You can also reset from settings if it doesn’t help.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Surojit Bhattacharjee said:

The sales person in showroom pushed for LG saying it has better sound and picture richness. But obviously didn't reveal big shortcomings of non-android smart TV in today's ecosystem. This is useless as you are not having freedom to install apps of your choice from playstore. I can't even get Sonyliv. Horrible OS. Now I am trapped for years after buying this TV. Don't buy LG or other non-android TV unless you can affford to throw it in weeks. When will LG grow up?

It's a lesson that you must always research on the product before buying it. Never buy blindly. Well I don't regret buying my LG TV because I knew it has what I use the most. 

Keep in mind next time.  Salespeople generally push what brings in most Commission for them.  They may say they are not on commission, but could be on another reward program, so buy what you want, not what’s pushed.    My general recommendation,  OLED for movie watching,  if a gamer, get best LED you can, since oled can burn in.  I love, love, love, the picture quality on my oled.  LG does fall short on Apps etc,, so if buying LG tv, plan on also getting a Chromecast Ultra.   I had someone run 2 cat5 cables to my tv,  probably should have 3 just in case. 

Jas pred nekoj mesec zemav lg oled C9 55 tv I sum iskreno prekrasno iznenaden I zadovolen od celiot sistem tolku e dobar sto iskreno vo celost mi go za menuva normalno to koristenje na kompjuterot a isto i go koristam za igri so playstation 4 pro zaedno I sum zadovolen vo celost da televizorot ne e evtin no e prekrasen pozdrav do site od lg elections prekrasna rabota. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ALIENS In. GAMES said:

Jas pred nekoj mesec zemav lg oled C9 55 tv I sum iskreno prekrasno iznenaden I zadovolen od celiot sistem tolku e dobar sto iskreno vo celost mi go za menuva normalno to koristenje na kompjuterot a isto i go koristam za igri so playstation 4 pro zaedno I sum zadovolen vo celost da televizorot ne e evtin no e prekrasen pozdrav do site od lg elections prekrasna rabota. 

Only post in English please

Really even m also thinking the same thing bcz they don’t have SonyLIV, amazon music, gaana and jio cinema apps etc.  Last year in October we have received the voot app. Really don’t know what’s going on very poor OS, Samsung OS is really awesome they have all the apps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rohit#7 said:

Really even m also thinking the same thing bcz they don’t have SonyLIV, amazon music, gaana and jio cinema apps etc.  Last year in October we have received the voot app. Really don’t know what’s going on very poor OS, Samsung OS is really awesome they have all the apps. 

It would seem like but Don’t think am defending LG. A Quick google search reveals what apps are available or not. If you visited the showroom you would have seen that these apps were not available. 
a 3,000₹ device can solve your problem and you are all blaming the tv. 
WebOS is the finest tv OS. Its has limited apps but its miles better than laggy android and even samsung tizen. I have all 3. Have you seen the SonyLIV app on samsung its very poorly made.

17 minutes ago, ruitertjelg said:

@Rohit#7

if you wanted a Samsung why did you buy a LG?

For the record, the number of available apps does not say anything about the quality of an OS.
regrards.

For me it was because Samsung don’t have Freeview Play but LG did - except it doesn’t work and the EPG is very vey slow

Hello, I am of the opinion, LG Smart TVs are way too good as compared to the others in the market. Of course, no TV can do everything. I have connected this to my home theatre and get beautiful sound quality (audio optical out option for my Phillips Sound System). A TV is a TV not a home theatre.

On the picture quality front it is very good. HDR is amazing, 4K is amazing (of course waiting for much more content). The only shortcoming is it doesn't have all App support. Thanks.. 

Thx for this answer:

"If you are using freesat a lot of channels are not in hd but if watched through firestick stations are in hd so yes there is a difference nothing to do with the tv. "

I assume "freesat" is internet streaming, like YouTubeTV? Amazon Prime?

I have both of those apps on the TV and the Firestick 4K and they look better on the stick.  You saying Firestick changes them into HD?

Thank you

Glad to hear its not a problem with the TV.

14 minutes ago, Offtrail said:

Thx for this answer:

"If you are using freesat a lot of channels are not in hd but if watched through firestick stations are in hd so yes there is a difference nothing to do with the tv. "

I assume "freesat" is internet streaming, like YouTubeTV? Amazon Prime?

I have both of those apps on the TV and the Firestick 4K and they look better on the stick.  You saying Firestick changes them into HD?

Thank you

Glad to hear its not a problem with the TV.

Freesat is not streaming they are obliged to provide the free to watch channels but will not pay the extra for hd freeview on the other hand does transmit in hd so get an aerial instead of a dish if you can get a signal that is. 

On 6/20/2020 at 6:55 AM, chriswv3 said:

Wrong! These devices are supposed to be much more than a mere TV , they are sold as SMART TVs . The 'smart' appellation indicates it is supposed to be much more than an ordinary TV . When I bought mine I expected it to be able to browse the Internet just as I do on a laptop but the LG WebOS system falls far short of anything I have used before. The lack of internal memory and poor memory management means it continually shuts down the browser when using memory intensive apps such as Google map's. The browser home page has fixed areas of strong colour burns marks on the screen unless you continually switch to full screen mode . Even the subtitles have burned the bottom area of the screen , pixel refreshing does repair the damage, I now have to put up with a very low picture quality . I know about electronic hardware and software design and I think the LG designers should be shot! I'm advising all my friends and acquaintances to avoid LG SMART TVs.

LG's TVs are Smart TVs, they are just not the Smart TV you have decided you want after purchasing it when you then develop buyer's remorse on discovering you have not done enough research on your purchase.  The amount of people on the forum who complain that their LG TV is not an Android TV, or it does not have the app support they decided it should have to equal their Android/iDevice/x86 devices is stunning.  Manufacturers who do not use Android TV do it to develop their own ecosystem that will earn them more income than using a competitor's OS, the sale of the hardware is in effect making them little or no money on the actual sale.