Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Mihai B.

gigabit ethernet on smart TV

Question

Hello,

Is there any way of installing an usb gigabit network adapter on a webos smart TV?  The builtin wired adapter is only 100mbps (on a 2000$+ TV, shame  on you LG!!!)  while the wifi (N) is very poor, with the router at 1m from TV it only gets half the bandwidth of the wired network. Anyway the wired network  maxes out near 100mbps but I need more bandwidth as I have 4k video content with bitrates grater than 100mbps which I cannot stream without stuttering to TV through XPLAY/PLEX. 

Kind regards,

75 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Carlos Garcia said:

Still... strange.

I also at first bought that TP-link adapter (see post above), thinking it has the same chipset. The TP-link did not work for me either on an LG OLED65C7V. Only then I found the Cable Matters is actually easy to order in Europe though Amazon, so I sent back the TP-link and got the Cable Matters. The Cable Matters does work!

It  actually may not not be so strange at all one works and the other doesn't: Just because there is support at hardware level does not mean there is automatically support at software/driver level. These days, devices often have their drivers baked into some memory chip inside the device. Hence TP Link may not simply have included driver support for the WEBOS operating system, while Cable Matters took a bit of extra effort to include an appropriate driver

7 hours ago, Mihai B. said:

Hi guys,

Could someone with an older WebOS2.0 TV please check if this Cable Matters adapter works properly?

Many thanks,

The cable was like $9. Why not just order it, try it out and let people know? Worst case, you're out a tiny amount of money.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, amuk said:

yes, I now too can confirm that also the black Cable Matters adapters work as described above. Seems in Europe only the black version is being sold at the moment. I ordered mine from German Amazon

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00BBD7NFU/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_SCE_dp_1

After months of frustration and days of googling (is that a word?) I found this post and tried my luck. I am so happy to confirm this adapter also works on the 2018 models (in my case OLED65C8).
I even took the time to create an account to say thanks. So... THANKS!!!

After plugging in the device it takes some time for the tv to install (I think), after a while I (un)plugged the lan cable again, then the lights started flickering. Still the apps (youtube) say no connection, I had to reboot the tv first. As mentioned by others above, the TV shows no connection for LAN and Wifi, but it all works flawlessly 🙂

I downloaded the speedtest app, I get a more then reasonable 250Mbit up/down (I have 1GB up/down fiber connection). So I should be able to play all available 4K videos.

As for LAN content: 
I use the onboard LG Videoplayer, it plays almost everything without transcoding over DLNA.
I am able to play all my 4k HDR files right from my synology with Media Server App installed.
Also with Universal Media Server on my HTPC (with some .conf changes) everything plays perfect, incl. subtitles. 

Right now I am not at home, but later today I will try and play some of these reference files: http://jell.yfish.us/  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MisterTB said:

After months of frustration and days of googling (is that a word?) I found this post and tried my luck. I am so happy to confirm this adapter also works on the 2018 models (in my case OLED65C8).

After plugging in the device it takes some time for the tv to install (I think), after a while I (un)plugged the lan cable again, then the lights started flickering. Still the apps (youtube) say no connection, I had to reboot the tv first. As mentioned by others above, the TV shows no connection for LAN and Wifi, but it all works flawlessly 🙂

I downloaded the speedtest app, I get a more then reasonable 250Mbit up/down (I have 1GB up/down fiber connection). So I should be able to play all available 4K videos.

As for LAN content: 
I use the onboard LG Videoplayer, it plays almost everything without transcoding over DLNA.
I am able to play all my 4k HDR files right from my synology with Media Server App installed.
Also with Universal Media Server on my HTPC (with some .conf changes) everything plays perfect, incl. subtitles. 

Right now I am not at home, but later today I will try and play some of these reference files: http://jell.yfish.us/  

Pity that C8 have only usb2.0 connection ... 

2 hours ago, Filip J said:

Pity that C8 have only usb2.0 connection ... 

Why?  Usb2.0 is more than fast enough. Even the highest bit rate 4k hdr stuff is way less than it can handle that at peak.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, MisterTB said:

As for LAN content: 

Exactly the same here. Thank you guys for the ideation and support.

For everyone in Germany, this is the one to order to get high bitrate content to work: Cable Matters 202013 – USB 3.0 Super Speed Netzwerkkabel RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Und um den anderen  deutschen Googlern zu helfen: LG TV 100mbit Ethernet LAN zu langsam, 4K UHD Inhalte mit hoher Bitrate abspielen, PLEX XPLAY

Ihr benötigt nur den hier von Amazon: Cable Matters 202013 – USB 3.0 Super Speed Netzwerkkabel RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - einfach ans TV in die blaue USB-Buchse! Kurz warten bis der Treiber installiert ist, TV neustarten und es geht.

Just a heads up for people that use the LG built-in video player with DLNA servers. I find these servers play much more nicely with the TV after switching off "quick start+" in the General settings menu. With quick start off, all DLNA servers show up pretty much all of the time.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, George Hofmeister said:

Hi Mihai B,

A gigabit connection is not required for streaming 4K to a local device:

https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/3206-dvb-t-dvb-s-as-one-program-list/?tab=comments#comment-8935

Even if it required 100Mbps a properly set up network would handle it fine.

Depending on how much data you are slinging around the network, whether you have a managed/smart network hub, how you have your Plex server set up and many other factors can cause issues.

A proper lossless 4k/Atmos stream is 85 Mb/s - 128 Mb/s, which is 85 - 128mbps.

100mbps doesn't fit the bill, to stream 4k you need a 1gbps Ethernet connection.

I have already spoke to Samsung about this, even their latest and most expensive TV models only have a 100mbps connection yet they deliver 4k TV's, Atmos/DTS:X speaker sets.

They advised me to purchase their Samsung  UBD-M9500 or UBD-M9700 player to fix this problem because they should have a 1gbps, turns out even these players have a 100mbps connection.

Sony and LG are doing the same as Samsung.

Why sell 4k TV's and Atmos/DTS:X speaker sets without offering a product that can actually play the content without inserting a disc, now I have to start researching 3rd party products to be able to make use of these features.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, Paulus said:

A proper lossless 4k/Atmos stream is 60 MB/s - 70 Mb/s, which is 460 - 560 mbps.

100mbps doesn't fit the bill, to stream 4k you need a 1gbps Ethernet connection.

I have already spoke to Samsung about this, even their latest and most expensive TV models only have a 100mbps connection yet they deliver 4k TV's, Atmos/DTS:X speaker sets.

They advised me to purchase their Samsung  UBD-M9500 or UBD-M9700 player to fix this problem because they should have a 1gbps, turns out even these players have a 100mbps connection.

Sony and LG are doing the same as Samsung.

Why sell 4k TV's and Atmos/DTS:X speaker sets without offering a product that can actually play the content without inserting a disc, now I have to start researching 3rd party products to be able to make use of these features.

Hi Paulus,

Thanks for the information, learn something new every day.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for the interest 😀

This is a 4k/Atmos file straight from a Bluray disc:

spacer.png

Using HEVC compression, if it was H.264 the bitrate would be a little lower.

62,3Mb/s video + 4.2Mb/s audio = 66.5Mb/s which is 66.5mbps

That is a 4k/Atmos stream.

For some reason my devices cannot stream this without buffering and the entire house has Cat8 1gbps connections, my server has 2x 1gbps connections with LACP so it shouldn't be a problem.

How did you get this?

66.5Mb/s which is 532mbps

66.5 Mb/s is 66.5 Mb/s or Mbps

66.5 MB/s is 532 Mb/s

Mb is Megabit

MB is Megabyte

If you have a movie with 66 MB/s that is two hours long, it would occupy 464 GB. That would not fit on a Blu-ray disc.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:42 PM, MisterTB said:

As for LAN content: 

Scratch the above....

For playback I switched to EMBY media server on my NAS with the corresponding Web-OS app, so no HTPC needed anymore. Took me a while to setup (disabling transcoding etc.) Finally managed to get it going, it works great. I haven't found a file it can't play. It even plays 80GB movies without stuttering, where I thought my NAS was not able to...  also Emby is great in finding subs. 

On 9/8/2019 at 5:29 PM, Paulus said:

Hi,

Thanks for the interest 😀

This is a 4k/Atmos file straight from a Bluray disc:

spacer.png

Using HEVC compression, if it was H.264 the bitrate would be a little lower.

62,3Mb/s video + 4.2Mb/s audio = 66.5Mb/s which is 66.5mbps

That is a 4k/Atmos stream.

For some reason my devices cannot stream this without buffering and the entire house has Cat8 1gbps connections, my server has 2x 1gbps connections with LACP so it shouldn't be a problem.

To make a valid comparison, can u find out what files you can (not) play via:  http://jell.yfish.us/?

I am downloading  all h264 files between 80 mbps and 200 mbps now.

Doesnt work on my 65b7 😞

it lights up but no connection 😞

bought the one linked to from cablematters 

Says a  unknown device was connected and it light up, but no internet when wifi and cable is turned for

It is in the 3.0 slot 

anything special i should do?

On 9/11/2019 at 4:39 PM, MisterTB said:

To make a valid comparison, can u find out what files you can (not) play via:  http://jell.yfish.us/?

I am downloading  all h264 files between 80 mbps and 200 mbps now.

I can play 120mbps 4k perfectly fine. Without stuttering. Higher bitrates will cause buffering every x seconds

16 minutes ago, Steffenmand said:

Doesnt work on my 65b7 😞

it lights up but no connection 😞

bought the one linked to from cablematters 

Says a  unknown device was connected and it light up, but no internet when wifi and cable is turned for

It is in the 3.0 slot 

anything special i should do?

I had to plug in and out several times, waited for it to install (no message). Also try turning tv off and on a few times. If the lights start blinking there is communication...

5 minutes ago, MisterTB said:

I had to plug in and out several times, waited for it to install (no message). Also try turning tv off and on a few times. If the lights start blinking there is communication...

I only have a light in the small blue led. Are you using the 3.0 slot?

So you have to do that every time ? Or does it just work after that first time ?

1 hour ago, Steffenmand said:

I only have a light in the small blue led. Are you using the 3.0 slot?

So you have to do that every time ? Or does it just work after that first time ?

Hrm... Worked perfectly for me first time...   You're sure it was this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

?

I have a 65e7, which should be identical to your 65b7 in this regard.

2 minutes ago, Metasyntactic said:

Hrm... Worked perfectly for me first time...   You're sure it was this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBD7NFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

?

I have a 65e7, which should be identical to your 65b7 in this regard.

Yep its the 202013-BLK... it seems it might not get enough power or something. I have no lights in it besides the blue led. When i turn on the tv the network leds light up for a split second and then goes to nothing..  tried getting it in and out 100 times.

Plugged into the 3.0 slot

15683203522833729273670059761257.jpg

29 minutes ago, Steffenmand said:

Yep its the 202013-BLK... it seems it might not get enough power or something. I have no lights in it besides the blue led. When i turn on the tv the network leds light up for a split second and then goes to nothing..  tried getting it in and out 100 times.

Plugged into the 3.0 slot

15683203522833729273670059761257.jpg

The 127th time worked! And it works every time now!

Super weird!

Better and more stable speeds now 🙂

On 7/15/2019 at 12:30 PM, sliyk said:

Eureka it works!

I got exactly the same one, the Cable matters plug, initially I tested it wth my usb 2.0 dongle which failed (as in my post above) then I got the usb 3.0 dongle and it works like a charm! you can also connect via wifi for the other tv features to continue to work as well. This a massive fix for the TV!

How can usb ethernet be used for streaming and wifi for the rest?