Quantcast

gigabit ethernet on smart TV

Mihai B.

Question

Hello,

Is there any way of installing an usb gigabit network adapter on a webos smart TV?  The builtin wired adapter is only 100mbps (on a 2000$+ TV, shame  on you LG!!!)  while the wifi (N) is very poor, with the router at 1m from TV it only gets half the bandwidth of the wired network. Anyway the wired network  maxes out near 100mbps but I need more bandwidth as I have 4k video content with bitrates grater than 100mbps which I cannot stream without stuttering to TV through XPLAY/PLEX. 

Kind regards,

On 6/22/2019 at 5:17 AM, KM Lee said:

3. That is correct this transfer rate is possible with only the usb network card.

I am using the TV built-in video player and Mezzmo lists the files to TV. Somehow the usb only setting makes the media server disappear after some time. I have wifi+usb setting now and this will allow the wifi to scan the local network and stream the video with usb network card. I turned-off the TV for more than 10 minutes and turned it on again to make this setting work successfully for three times continuously now.

usb_lan.PNG

Hi

I have a question, what do you mean by wifi+usb? are you conntect via both? how to do you know which mode is the TV using to stream your media?

I have just ordered the same dongle. Hopefully this works for me.

currently have a synology ds218+ hooked up to google wifi and tv, google wifi wont let me band change the network to excludively 5ghz (alas) and the ethernet port on the tv sucks. hopefully this will be a nice and affordable workaround.

9 hours ago, sliyk said:

Hi

I have a question, what do you mean by wifi+usb? are you conntect via both? how to do you know which mode is the TV using to stream your media?

I have just ordered the same dongle. Hopefully this works for me.

currently have a synology ds218+ hooked up to google wifi and tv, google wifi wont let me band change the network to excludively 5ghz (alas) and the ethernet port on the tv sucks. hopefully this will be a nice and affordable workaround.

Doesnt seem to work for me LG65 Oled65b7v

I already had a usb 2.0 ethernet port and connected it. the tv does say unknown device connected but no ethernet lights turn on and nothing happens. :(

I did notice a long thin port above the usbs whats that for?

Being in Europe, I tried another adapter to connect gigabit ethernet to my LG 65OLEDC7V.  The device  I used was a TP-link UE300(UN).

link hidden, please login to view

The adapter has the same chipset as mentioned by @lguser, namely the Realtek/RTL8153. Unfortunately I can not get the TP-LINK to work, not in the USB 1 port (USB 3.0 ) neither in the 2 or 3 ports (USB 2.0).

From your replies @lguser, it is not entirely clear to me whether you got the Cable Matters adapter to work yourself, in your own setup, or whether you are just giving advice in case someone gets one?

@KM Lee, which version of WebOS are you using?

On 7/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, amuk said:

Being in Europe, I tried another adapter to connect gigabit ethernet to my LG 65OLEDC7V.  The device  I used was a TP-link UE300(UN).

The adapter has the same chipset as mentioned by @lguser, namely the Realtek/RTL8153. Unfortunately I can not get the TP-LINK to work, not in the USB 1 port (USB 3.0 ) neither in the 2 or 3 ports (USB 2.0).

From your replies @lguser, it is not entirely clear to me whether you got the Cable Matters adapter to work yourself, in your own setup, or whether you are just giving advice in case someone gets one?

@KM Lee, which version of WebOS are you using?

Eureka it works!

I got exactly the same one, the Cable matters plug, initially I tested it wth my usb 2.0 dongle which failed (as in my post above) then I got the usb 3.0 dongle and it works like a charm! you can also connect via wifi for the other tv features to continue to work as well. This a massive fix for the TV!

On 7/15/2019 at 6:30 AM, sliyk said:

Eureka it works!

I got exactly the same one, the Cable matters plug, initially I tested it wth my usb 2.0 dongle which failed (as in my post above) then I got the usb 3.0 dongle and it works like a charm! you can also connect via wifi for the other tv features to continue to work as well. This a massive fix for the TV!

This also worked for me.  I bought the plug from 

and it works amazingly.  Movies that went about 100mb/s (and even were flakey over 5g wifi) play perfectly.  Thank you all so much for this information!

On 7/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, Metasyntactic said:

This also worked for me.  I bought the plug from 

and it works amazingly.  Movies that went about 100mb/s (and even were flakey over 5g wifi) play perfectly.  Thank you all so much for this information!

I think I have been able to find the exact same black version on German Amazon as well and have ordered it. Should be able to test by the end of the week. Will post the results here.  Fingers crossed!

Hi all,

I too purchased the Cable matters adapter from Amazon UK

I can confirm that Plex, Amazon Prime, Netflix and the LG app store all work fine despite the TV saying that there is no internet connection via LAN or Wifi.
Also it appears that everything seems to load up a tad quicker.

Upgrading to Gig Ethernet will have ZERO effect, in any case there is NO WAY to add a different Ethernet adapter to an existing TV.

Its a TV not a PC, on a PC your have the freedom to pretty much whatever you wish as long as you have the harware port and software drivers to support the adapter.,

The problem is between your router and the rest of the Internet.

Its like having a private drive that connections to the interstate on which you can drive at 100MPH, but traffic on the Interstate is only going at 50 MPH.

Guess what your journey and your data will travel at the slower rate

1 hour ago, Science-is-Truth said:

Upgrading to Gig Ethernet will have ZERO effect, in any case there is NO WAY to add a different Ethernet adapter to an existing TV.

Its a TV not a PC, on a PC your have the freedom to pretty much whatever you wish as long as you have the harware port and software drivers to support the adapter.,

Its like having a private drive that connections to the interstate on which you can drive at 100MPH, but traffic on the Interstate is only going at 50 MPH.

Not true. I was getting 30mbs and lower down through the TV's port. Being curious I tried the CableMatters USB 3.0 dongle into my 4-port USB adapter and get now  90mbs down according to LG app. My house connection is 1gb fiber that tests reliably above 980mbs up and down. The TV is fed via Cat 7 to a switch and then Cat6 to the TV. The USB adapter connects a Logi KB RF dongle and USB sticks used for firmware updates and other purposes.

Anyway the 90 down is plenty fine for streaming so I am not inclined to investigate why the set tests so low. Maybe if bored, I'll connect a GB Ethernet laptop to how it fares on the line.

Also confirm I bought US Amazon  CableMatters in Black and TV settings shows NO Wired or WiFi connection at all but it works.

http://Cable Matters USB to Ethernet Adapter (USB 3.0 to Ethernet / USB 3 to Ethernet / USB to Gigabit Ethernet / USB to RJ45) Supporting 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbps Ethernet Network in Black

10 hours ago, Science-is-Truth said:

Its a TV not a PC, on a PC your have the freedom to pretty much whatever you wish as long as you have the hardware port and software drivers to support the adapter.,

Haha, that's actually really funny: A user named "science-is truth", disregarding all empirical evidence from multiple users. I read theoretical assumptions and an inappropriate analogy in the above text, all while without adding any new, real data.  So useless!

TVs are not PCs...Also phones are not PCs. Does that mean neither phones or TVs do not function as a combination of CPU and GPU and maybe other systems on a chip that need an OS (WebOS? Android? IOS ?) to connect everything up through driver support? Are you aware that many devices actually have built in drivers these days, so no separate software driver need to be installed?

In any case, and contrary to before, I get rates of around 170 mbit/s and completely smooth playback of all bitrate movies through the Cable Matters adapter. All this while wifi and built in ethernet are completely disconnected. So the adapter is definitely working, and also definitely exceeding the built in ethernet limits. 

18 hours ago, Science-is-Truth said:

This is 100% incorrect. Existing Ethernet on the TV is limited to 100mb/s. That's not fast enough for some files to stream without problems. This is easy to validate with any sort of content and a measure of the bandwidth needed at any point in time.

The cablematters adapter gives you gig Ethernet over **USB**, where the tv usb port has a min of something like 600mb/s (or rougly 60% of gig-ethernet).

This is why you can play those same files when connected by usb.  There is enough bandwidth on the USB connection already.

Note, this is not theoretical. Files I have that Spike above 100mb/s needed (sometimes up to 150-200), we're unplayable without buffering paused before. Now they all play flawlessly. Measuring from the server I can the bandwidth jump to those levels, where previously it never made it above 100.

In short, you have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL.  "science-is-truth" sent me a private message stating that i was simply incorrect and there was no way this CableMatters adapter could actually perform the claims I (and others here) have made about it.  He insists that because he worked for Bob Metcalf, it's not possible that an ethernet-to-usb adapter would be able to provide enough bandwidth for the LG tv to provide a substantively better ability to stream UHD 4k content locally for plex users.

To be 100% clear: "science is truth" is completely wrong here, and is attempting to use an "appeal to authority" argument to bolster his case.  His authority has no bearing here, and his position is trivially shown to be false purely by demonstration.  I, and several others in this thread, have actually gone and tried this adapter.  I have trivially measured hte bandwidth between the TV and my plex server, using both the built-in ethernet and the adapter.  i can easily see how the built-in ethernet is 100mbps, and how that immediately and deleteriously impacts content that needs to go above that (for example, i have content that can easily go >200mbps in some places).  I can then easily see that over the adapter, hitting those speed is not at all a problem.

This is, of course, unsurprising.  That same content worked fine over the *very same* usb port when plugging a usb key.  So, of course there's enough bandwidth over that port to be able to handle that content.  What's fortunate is that the LG tv accepts the adapter plugged in there.

--

Note: i've been using this system for several weeks now.  It's been flawless.  Zero issues streaming *any* media from my plex server.  Zero issues with any other streaming apps on the TV.  If anyone is running into the same problem with 100mb/s not being enough to stream some very high-bandwidth content, then def try this out.  It's fantastic, regardless of what ignorant people like science-is-truth say.

Cheers, and thanks again to KM Lee for discovering this and letting us all know.  In one simple step this has solved literally the biggest and most annoying issue i've had with this TV.

• Thanks 1

Science-is-truth, some of us are not playing files from the internet. For instance, I have a RAID-5 server configured with six SSDs and it connects to 10G switch via 4 fiber optic cables.  I have been successfully transferring  over 20gbps from this server to another PC. I was trying to play a my daughter's birthday video file recorded by a 4K 60fps 120mbps motion camera from the sever using my LG TV.

In this thread, we are discussing this because we have ways to accurately monitor/measure what bit rate is flawing into our TVs. Some people here know when a gigabit networks is actually working or not. It looks like many people know that the bitrate of the USB port in the TV is even faster than the 100mbps ethernet port. Some of the people in this thread also have files that actually need to transfer peak rate of 160mbps for smooth playback of TrueHD audio and 2160p video.  After using this adapter, these files are actually playing with the TV internal ethernet/wifi turned off.

If you don't need faster than 100mbps in your environment, posting your ego is still your freedom. However, you are very unhelpful. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, KM Lee said:

Science-is-truth, some of us are not playing files from the internet. For instance, I have a RAID-5 server configured with six SSDs and it connects to 10G switch via 4 fiber optic cables.  I have been successfully transferring  over 20gbps from this server to another PC. I was trying to play a my daughter's birthday video file recorded by a 4K 60fps 120mbps motion camera from the sever using my LG TV.

In this thread, we are discussing this because we have ways to accurately monitor/measure what bit rate is flawing into our TVs. Some people here know when a gigabit networks is actually working or not. It looks like many people know that the bitrate of the USB port in the TV is even faster than the 100mbps ethernet port. Some of the people in this thread also have files that actually need to transfer peak rate of 160mbps for smooth playback of TrueHD audio and 2160p video.  After using this adapter, these files are actually playing with the TV internal ethernet/wifi turned off.

If you don't need faster than 100mbps in your environment, posting your ego is still your freedom. However, you are very unhelpful. Thanks.

+1

My own personal setup is a 22 drive (12hdd, 8ssd, 2nvme) server that streams to all TVs in my home over wired gigabit.  Up till now, this system worked great except for some of the UHD content.   While the connection to the switch and to all room ports is gigabit, it didn't help that the actual TV connections on my LG tvs was 100mb/s.  We could try wireless, but this has also been problematic due to the contents of our walls, and how many signals are in such a small area. 

Thanks to KM Lee, i now have a solution that works *flawlessly* across all the TVs even when several family members all all streaming high bitrate media across all those TVs at the same time.

I bougth the tp-link UE300 and it does not work!

This adapter has the same chipset as the CableMatters  brand adapter. I find it strange that some users say the CableMatters  adapter is working...

With the same chipset, the driver should be the same, so...

Have you disconnected both ehthernet and wifi on the TV?

I have an OLED55C8PLA

7 minutes ago, Carlos Garcia said:

I bougth the tp-link UE300 and it does not work!

This adapter has the same chipset as the CableMatters  brand adapter. I find it strange that some users say the CableMatters  adapter is working...

With the same chipset, the driver should be the same, so...

Have you disconnected both ehthernet and wifi on the TV?

I have an OLED55C8PLA

>I bougth the tp-link UE300 and it does not work!

Why didn't you buy the adapter that several people here (including myself) have validated to at least work on their machines?

> I find it strange that some users say the CableMatters  adapter is working...

What is strange about it?  It works.  It's been working for me for quite a while now.  This seems to be on you.  Why not return the adapter that doesn't work and go for the one that at least has worked for us?

> Have you disconnected both ehthernet and wifi on the TV?

Yes.

> I have an OLED55C8PLA

I have an 65E7.

14 hours ago, Carlos Garcia said:

Still... strange.

I also at first bought that TP-link adapter (see post above), thinking it has the same chipset. The TP-link did not work for me either on an LG OLED65C7V. Only then I found the Cable Matters is actually easy to order in Europe though Amazon, so I sent back the TP-link and got the Cable Matters. The Cable Matters does work!

It  actually may not not be so strange at all one works and the other doesn't: Just because there is support at hardware level does not mean there is automatically support at software/driver level. These days, devices often have their drivers baked into some memory chip inside the device. Hence TP Link may not simply have included driver support for the WEBOS operating system, while Cable Matters took a bit of extra effort to include an appropriate driver

On 7/19/2019 at 9:56 AM, amuk said:

yes, I now too can confirm that also the black Cable Matters adapters work as described above. Seems in Europe only the black version is being sold at the moment. I ordered mine from German Amazon

After months of frustration and days of googling (is that a word?) I found this post and tried my luck. I am so happy to confirm this adapter also works on the 2018 models (in my case OLED65C8).
I even took the time to create an account to say thanks. So... THANKS!!!

After plugging in the device it takes some time for the tv to install (I think), after a while I (un)plugged the lan cable again, then the lights started flickering. Still the apps (youtube) say no connection, I had to reboot the tv first. As mentioned by others above, the TV shows no connection for LAN and Wifi, but it all works flawlessly 🙂

I downloaded the speedtest app, I get a more then reasonable 250Mbit up/down (I have 1GB up/down fiber connection). So I should be able to play all available 4K videos.

As for LAN content: 
I use the onboard LG Videoplayer, it plays almost everything without transcoding over DLNA.
I am able to play all my 4k HDR files right from my synology with Media Server App installed.
Also with Universal Media Server on my HTPC (with some .conf changes) everything plays perfect, incl. subtitles. 

Right now I am not at home, but later today I will try and play some of these reference files:   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MisterTB said:

After months of frustration and days of googling (is that a word?) I found this post and tried my luck. I am so happy to confirm this adapter also works on the 2018 models (in my case OLED65C8).
I even took the time to create an account to say thanks. So... THANKS!!!

After plugging in the device it takes some time for the tv to install (I think), after a while I (un)plugged the lan cable again, then the lights started flickering. Still the apps (youtube) say no connection, I had to reboot the tv first. As mentioned by others above, the TV shows no connection for LAN and Wifi, but it all works flawlessly 🙂

I downloaded the speedtest app, I get a more then reasonable 250Mbit up/down (I have 1GB up/down fiber connection). So I should be able to play all available 4K videos.

As for LAN content: 
I use the onboard LG Videoplayer, it plays almost everything without transcoding over DLNA.
I am able to play all my 4k HDR files right from my synology with Media Server App installed.
Also with Universal Media Server on my HTPC (with some .conf changes) everything plays perfect, incl. subtitles. 

Right now I am not at home, but later today I will try and play some of these reference files: 

Pity that C8 have only usb2.0 connection ...