Quantcast

I just bought an LG smart tv only to find out that HBO GO and SHO Anytimw are not available?!?!?!  This seems totally crazy. Why would LG do this ? I am thinking about taking it back to the store and getting something else. I feel like buying a Chromecast or Firestick would just defeat the purpose of having a "Smart TV". I don't want 300 remotes. Is there any effort by LG to put these apps on their operating system?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have to say I was not happy to find out that none of the premium channels are supported. I have to disagree that LG doesn't have some influence on the apps. The fact is the software doesn't support

This is crap!! If I had known I couldn't get HBO Go on my new LG Smart TV I would NEVER have bought it!!

This was my response from LG. What a bunch of BS!  Hi Leon,  Thank you so much for contacting LG Email Services. It is our pleasure to assist you with your inquiries or concerns about your LG dev

This was my response from LG. What a bunch of BS! 

Hi Leon,  

Thank you so much for contacting LG Email Services. It is our pleasure to assist you with your inquiries or concerns about your LG devices. 

I understand that you are curious on why the HBO GO or Showtime Anytime application is still unavailable with the LG 55UJ6540 TV. With regards to your concern, please allow me to inform you that in order for LG to add an application to the list of application it can offer to our valued customers like you, LG and the developer of the application needs to reach an agreement that our units can carry the application and offer it to our customers. Now, such agreement is not yet existing and this is the reason why the application is still unavailable with the unit and the information if there are any updates for this is unavailable here on our end. I hope that you will understand. 

Please allow me to inform you that we strive to make our customers happy with the features of our products and that is the reason why we cherish the feedback and suggestions that we receive form our valued customers like you. Trough our internal ticketing system, we can create a ticket for your feedback about the HBO Go/Showtime Anytime applications and send it to our Software Development team. If you will ever be interested, please provide us your contact number so we can create an account for you here on our end that we can use to send the ticket for your feedback. 

Please let me also inform you that you that you may get in touch with the service provider to provide a feedback if they can create an app for the LG TVs because if the service providers detects that there is a high user request for an app to be created for LG TVs, they might create one. 

I hope that this information have been helpful to you. It has been a pleasure assisting you today! If you have any other questions or concerns, please don&#39t hesitate to contact us again via Email, Live Chat, or by calling the LGCustomer Service at 1-800-243-0000

• Like 2

Just sucks that I bought this " smart tv" to simplify everything. I love the tv itself but smart tv's themselves are obsolete without a complete range of apps. LG phones run on android so they have these apps. With chromecast, firestick , roku etc there is almost no use for a smart tv with only a few apps. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/8/2017 at 11:33 PM, leonis123 said:

I just bought an LG smart tv only to find out that HBO GO and SHO Anytimw are not available?!?!?!  This seems totally crazy. Why would LG do this ? I am thinking about taking it back to the store and getting something else. I feel like buying a Chromecast or Firestick would just defeat the purpose of having a "Smart TV". I don't want 300 remotes. Is there any effort by LG to put these apps on their operating system?

I recommend to use  firestick. There is many advantage. You can watch all channel in your lg smart tv without paying single penny. Simple you need to install kodi on Firestick and install some popular addons.  I recommend to use Sportsdevil. Please find from here addon's tutorial guide and all kodi related issue.    

link hidden, please login to view

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

LG should be pushing hard to HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, for apps for WEBOS.  It makes your TV's more appealing to buy.  I love the picture on my new LG TV; I did not realize there were no apps, and can't play via the browser; VERY DISAPPOINTED in a $2500 TV SET!     I don't want pay for these again via Hulu, or Amazon; as I already subscribe to these channels via cable TV; why do I want to pay again!   If you can't get the apps, make WEBSOS support Adobe FLASH, so we can watch via the browser!   Do SOMETHING please! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sphinxrb said:

LG should be pushing hard to HBO, STARZ, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, for apps for WEBOS.  It makes your TV's more appealing to buy.  I love the picture on my new LG TV; I did not realize there were no apps, and can't play via the browser; VERY DISAPPOINTED in a $2500 TV SET!     I don't want pay for these again via Hulu, or Amazon; as I already subscribe to these channels via cable TV; why do I want to pay again!   If you can't get the apps, make WEBSOS support Adobe FLASH, so we can watch via the browser!   Do SOMETHING please! 

Hi sphinxrb,

I agree that LG should be doing a lot more to get content providers on-board, even if LG developed the apps and the providers paid them to do it.  At least if that sort of set up was in place when LG updated webOS they would (in theory) know what to update in the apps themselves.

On the Adobe Flash front however I am sorry but it is such a prehistoric piece of software that is hugely complicated to programme for and is riddled with bugs.  HTML5 has usurped Flash's position in the market place, it is just that people are wedded to it and cannot seem to move on to a product that is less problematic, is simpler to produce content for and has less overheads both on the front and backends.  

• Like 1

Thanks George Hofmeister for the info.   Seems HBO and such; should at least make their video's playable in a web browser; as you mention, in HTML5 instead of FLASH.    Seems many other devices and TV brands have apps.  If I had known, I would have looked at other brands and maybe even chose a non-OLED TV.  I was so forward looking to having my first smart TV.  I knew there were no apps at the time, but did not realize, or even fathom, I could not watch in a browser either.  I did a lot of research on this TV, and thought I covered all the point's; but missed this one.   LG really needs to get on board quickly.   It stinks sitting here; hoping I can one day, watch these on my new TV.   I will say this to LG; burn me once, it's over.  If LG does not fix this;  but does it for newer TV's only; and not this current one; I will NEVER buy an LG product again, no electronics, no appliances (which I have a clothes washer), nothing form LG ever again.    

2 hours ago, George Hofmeister said:

On the Adobe Flash front however I am sorry but it is such a prehistoric piece of software that is hugely complicated to programme for and is riddled with bugs.  HTML5 has usurped Flash's position in the market place, it is just that people are wedded to it and cannot seem to move on to a product that is less problematic, is simpler to produce content for and has less overheads both on the front and backends.  

Completely agree. I ended up getting a Roku to get around the issue. Hopefully LG will through their weight around and get behind updated (HTML 5) apps in the future.

• 1 month later...