Quantcast

LG to Update 2014 TVs to webOS 2.0

Alex

Question

Thanks to Ruud, one of our members, for posting about this article from CNET.

CNET is reporting as of yesterday that LG is planning to update all 2014 TV models to webOS 2.0. This would be a flip in direction from what they had announced earlier in the year. The articles states that the update will start rolling out mid year to all models. We'll have to wait and see!

The company has confirmed to CNET that its 2014 Web OS 1.0-equipped TVs, including sets like the 55EC9300 OLED, will be updated to version 2.0 of the operating system.

The update will happen sometime in the second half of 2015, and will be rolled out to every 2014 TV with Web OS, in every territory worldwide.

Source:

link hidden, please login to view

• Like 2

18 answers to this question

Article said first half of 2015 - but we are now into the second half and no sign.  :unsure: 

If lack of RAM is an issue, maybe they could make a requirement that an (approved) fast USB stick needs to be permanently plugged in to ask as virtual memory, and offload backgrounded apps and programme guide to that.

• Like 1

Article said first half of 2015 - but we are now into the second half and no sign. :unsure:

If lack of RAM is an issue, maybe they could make a requirement that an (approved) fast USB stick needs to be permanently plugged in to ask as virtual memory, and offload backgrounded apps and programme guide to that.

They said second half. Fingers crossed.. :-)

I do not think that you can use a USB external, that resulting in television in 2014 to be insufficient is the ram ddr3 second level, ie tv 2014_2015:
ram tier 525MB
ram second level
2014 = 256Mb
2015 = 512Mb
So this is the main reason why currently the 2014 tv show defects from us complained, the RAM at times, perhaps due to the kernel, which manages the best presents those "lag and out of memory that we find.
In fact if you go to see the instruction manual of the model eg 42lb650 inside found the block diagram of the system, you compare it with the new 42lf652, you will see that the difference is that, lg was very clever on this point, has also changed the manager refresch video to be able to say that they are two different TV, but is essentially the exact same TV, with the corrections that cover 'design error than stated in the advertisements of the sale of TV 2014 vebos 1.0.
 The shameful thing is that in all 'today have not remedied this design gap, treating its customers badly that for a whole they year  are undergoing this.

• Like 3

Hello Simon,

Good to find this forum.

I've got an LG 49UB8500 wich I bought early 2015, so I believe it is a 2014's webOS 1.x.

I tried to update my firmware through config menu, but the latest version available for my TV is 1.4.

I wonder if this is the fact my locale is configured for Brazil, but might have be other issues.

So, I'd like to know if could advise me if it is possible to update/upgrade from webOS 1.4 to 2.0 and how the path to get it.

Here follows my TV's data:

Model 49UB8500-SA

Software 05.00.70

WebOS 1.4.0-2316 (afro-Ashley)

Hope you can "light the candle of my wisdom" and help me out on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Sérgio Gusmão