Quantcast

YouTube no longer likes the browser

Gary M

Question

LG webOS TV UH8500

Software version:  05.30.60.

As of last evening YouTube has this piece of information at the top of my home page:

"We'll stop supporting this browser soon.   For best results please update your browser"

Now what am I supposed to do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 answers to this question

Model: 2016 55-Inch OLED55B6P Smart OLED TV. 

Current Software Version: 05.30.60

Just wanted to share my experience relating to what started as a YouTube message that read “We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For best experience please update your browser”.  I don’t consider myself an LG TV expert, so my only motivation is that this might help someone.  The bottom line is there is more than one way to access YouTube on your TV.  

First of all, let me be clear that I am referring to the basic YouTube platform, the one that features ads, which is what I use and care for. You also have YouTube Premium (previously YouTube Red), a paid service that offers an ad-free YouTube experience, and thirdly, YouTube TV, which is another paid service that offers live streaming television to compete with the likes of Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV.

For the longest time I watched basic YouTube through the TV’s Web Browser application and it is through this method that I got the “We’ll stop supporting this browser …” message.  In trying to resolve this I checked for software updates by going to ‘General’ and ‘About this TV’ where I then selected ‘Check for Updates’ but the system response was ‘No updates found’.  My take at this point is that unless LG eventually upgrades the Web Browser application, it looks like this method of accessing YouTube may eventually stop working. It might be a good idea to make sure the “Allow Automatic Updates” option is enabled or checked.

A Second Way (and this how I fixed my situation): I went under ‘LG Content Store’ on the TV, searched for the basic YouTube application and installed it. At first it was a bit awkward to figure out how to navigate the app. but after about 20 minutes of playing with the different remote buttons, I was able to figure it out. As it turns out, this LG YouTube application seems to be more feature rich and is actually easier and more practical to use than by using the Web Browser.

A Third Way: Some time ago I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ which also offers the ability to access YouTube.  The only issue with this method is that I don’t believe you can use the TV remote to control it (at least I have not figured it out), and for this reason alone, I believe the LG YouTube application is the best solution.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks ADM.  That worked perfectly.  Youtube didn't make it easy.  In the LG content store there are TWO Youtube apps with identical icons.  I had downloaded the pay one earlier and found it wasn't what I wanted.  This time I followed your advice and downloaded the other one and it worked.

LG really has dropped the ball on this issue which is going to affect thousands of people.  They should upgrade the native browser in WebOS to fix this and not leave it to users to figure out a solution on their own.

Thanks again ADM.

• Sad 2

Thank you A. De Mello.

As I stated in my previous post, several days ago  I installed a YouTube App that wanted to charge me a monthly fee.  After reading your post I went back and searched again.  Somehow I found  the YouTube app that you mentioned.  There are adds but no fees.

I have two interesting observations about this app.  First, on my TV the reception of the videos on the YouTube app is much better than what I was seeing using the WebOS browser going to the YouTube site.  Very nice.  Second,  I noticed when watching a video (Sheryl Crow's NPR Tiny Desk Concert - 35 minutes long) that when the video needed to break to show an add something bad had happened as it shut off the TV!  Yep.  That's right.  I'm watching the concert and then it went to black.  The TV shut off.  Huh?  I turned the TV  back on and clicked to open the YouTube app and the Sheryl Crow video picked up where it left off.  Several minutes later the same thing happened except the TV did not shut off.  Instead the picture and audio went to black for about a second and a half and then an add started rolling.  Weird.

Anyway, thanks again for your posting.  And Bob Martinez - I agree.  The WebOS developers need to get on top of this.  You don't know if there will be other popular sites that will  start restricting  the same way.

BTW:  Does anybody know how to uninstall apps on the LG SmartTV?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

A little workaround, though far from perfect. Play youtube clip, enlarge to full screen, then select lower resolution. The clip wil start. Now select highest resulution and it all seems to work. Still anoying for a rather new TV where I specially payed attention to this feature when buying.

On my TV I went to the LG Content Store and installed the YouTube App, which LG Content said was "free".  Not it is not.  After a trial period the fee is US $49.00 / month.  

Also, I have not been able to yet contact a LG service technician about this.

• Like 1

Does LG look at this forum or do they leave the purchasers to help each other?  Purchased my TV in January and nothing but issues to sort out. Had to go back to using Laptop and even then have difficulties, both with HDMI and wifi using screen share.... does not remember settings. Have to link the two through the process each time I switch on. I am not a happy customer. wish I could return it. My old "dumb" LG works better.

• Sad 1

On 2/9/2020 at 3:12 AM, A. De Mello said:

Model: 2016 55-Inch OLED55B6P Smart OLED TV. 

Current Software Version: 05.30.60

Just wanted to share my experience relating to what started as a YouTube message that read “We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For best experience please update your browser”.  I don’t consider myself an LG TV expert, so my only motivation is that this might help someone.  The bottom line is there is more than one way to access YouTube on your TV.  

First of all, let me be clear that I am referring to the basic YouTube platform, the one that features ads, which is what I use and care for. You also have YouTube Premium (previously YouTube Red), a paid service that offers an ad-free YouTube experience, and thirdly, YouTube TV, which is another paid service that offers live streaming television to compete with the likes of Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV.

For the longest time I watched basic YouTube through the TV’s Web Browser application and it is through this method that I got the “We’ll stop supporting this browser …” message.  In trying to resolve this I checked for software updates by going to ‘General’ and ‘About this TV’ where I then selected ‘Check for Updates’ but the system response was ‘No updates found’.  My take at this point is that unless LG eventually upgrades the Web Browser application, it looks like this method of accessing YouTube may eventually stop working. It might be a good idea to make sure the “Allow Automatic Updates” option is enabled or checked.

A Second Way (and this how I fixed my situation): I went under ‘LG Content Store’ on the TV, searched for the basic YouTube application and installed it. At first it was a bit awkward to figure out how to navigate the app. but after about 20 minutes of playing with the different remote buttons, I was able to figure it out. As it turns out, this LG YouTube application seems to be more feature rich and is actually easier and more practical to use than by using the Web Browser.

A Third Way: Some time ago I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ which also offers the ability to access YouTube.  The only issue with this method is that I don’t believe you can use the TV remote to control it (at least I have not figured it out), and for this reason alone, I believe the LG YouTube application is the best solution.  

How did you get YouTube app as we seem to only get kids YouTube. Uf850v 

On 3/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, Michelle van Asperen said:

Does LG look at this forum or do they leave the purchasers to help each other?  Purchased my TV in January and nothing but issues to sort out. Had to go back to using Laptop and even then have difficulties, both with HDMI and wifi using screen share.... does not remember settings. Have to link the two through the process each time I switch on. I am not a happy customer. wish I could return it. My old "dumb" LG works better.

Looks like LG sold TV now get lost, like insurance next time it's buybuy lg

@Neil999 i have the same issue.  This is pretty disgusting behaviour. It seems that lg don't care to listen to their users or provide a consistent and worthy service. My YouTube on webos browser now just locks on the main page with no thumbnails. The LG store only shows kids YouTube and I don't see another way to watch YouTube at all.

Had anyone actually been able to contact LG about this? 

Hi. I endured the problem for a while and reverted to viewing  via my PC. Then one day it just came right. With the recent OS update to version 5, Youtube showed the menus in Eastern script - Korean?- and a few days later it corrected back to English. ( I live in South Africa and the Geo-locked to countries in sub Sahara). At the moment Youtube is working as it should. I do feel the LG store has nothing to offer.