YouTube no longer likes the browser

Question

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Am I the only one who thinks that LG is not paying attention to any of this?

Model: 2016 55-Inch OLED55B6P Smart OLED TV.  Current Software Version: 05.30.60 Just wanted to share my experience relating to what started as a YouTube message that read “We’ll stop s

It shows that I should install Chrome or Firefox... but that app or download not available. Are we getting an update to Web Browser app?

19 answers to this question

Model: 2016 55-Inch OLED55B6P Smart OLED TV. 

Current Software Version: 05.30.60

Just wanted to share my experience relating to what started as a YouTube message that read “We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For best experience please update your browser”.  I don’t consider myself an LG TV expert, so my only motivation is that this might help someone.  The bottom line is there is more than one way to access YouTube on your TV.  

First of all, let me be clear that I am referring to the basic YouTube platform, the one that features ads, which is what I use and care for. You also have YouTube Premium (previously YouTube Red), a paid service that offers an ad-free YouTube experience, and thirdly, YouTube TV, which is another paid service that offers live streaming television to compete with the likes of Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV.

For the longest time I watched basic YouTube through the TV’s Web Browser application and it is through this method that I got the “We’ll stop supporting this browser …” message.  In trying to resolve this I checked for software updates by going to ‘General’ and ‘About this TV’ where I then selected ‘Check for Updates’ but the system response was ‘No updates found’.  My take at this point is that unless LG eventually upgrades the Web Browser application, it looks like this method of accessing YouTube may eventually stop working. It might be a good idea to make sure the “Allow Automatic Updates” option is enabled or checked.

A Second Way (and this how I fixed my situation): I went under ‘LG Content Store’ on the TV, searched for the basic YouTube application and installed it. At first it was a bit awkward to figure out how to navigate the app. but after about 20 minutes of playing with the different remote buttons, I was able to figure it out. As it turns out, this LG YouTube application seems to be more feature rich and is actually easier and more practical to use than by using the Web Browser.

A Third Way: Some time ago I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ which also offers the ability to access YouTube.  The only issue with this method is that I don’t believe you can use the TV remote to control it (at least I have not figured it out), and for this reason alone, I believe the LG YouTube application is the best solution.  

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Thanks ADM.  That worked perfectly.  Youtube didn't make it easy.  In the LG content store there are TWO Youtube apps with identical icons.  I had downloaded the pay one earlier and found it wasn't what I wanted.  This time I followed your advice and downloaded the other one and it worked.

LG really has dropped the ball on this issue which is going to affect thousands of people.  They should upgrade the native browser in WebOS to fix this and not leave it to users to figure out a solution on their own.

Thanks again ADM.

• Sad 2

Thank you A. De Mello.

As I stated in my previous post, several days ago  I installed a YouTube App that wanted to charge me a monthly fee.  After reading your post I went back and searched again.  Somehow I found  the YouTube app that you mentioned.  There are adds but no fees.

I have two interesting observations about this app.  First, on my TV the reception of the videos on the YouTube app is much better than what I was seeing using the WebOS browser going to the YouTube site.  Very nice.  Second,  I noticed when watching a video (Sheryl Crow's NPR Tiny Desk Concert - 35 minutes long) that when the video needed to break to show an add something bad had happened as it shut off the TV!  Yep.  That's right.  I'm watching the concert and then it went to black.  The TV shut off.  Huh?  I turned the TV  back on and clicked to open the YouTube app and the Sheryl Crow video picked up where it left off.  Several minutes later the same thing happened except the TV did not shut off.  Instead the picture and audio went to black for about a second and a half and then an add started rolling.  Weird.

Anyway, thanks again for your posting.  And Bob Martinez - I agree.  The WebOS developers need to get on top of this.  You don't know if there will be other popular sites that will  start restricting  the same way.

BTW:  Does anybody know how to uninstall apps on the LG SmartTV?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

A little workaround, though far from perfect. Play youtube clip, enlarge to full screen, then select lower resolution. The clip wil start. Now select highest resulution and it all seems to work. Still anoying for a rather new TV where I specially payed attention to this feature when buying.

On my TV I went to the LG Content Store and installed the YouTube App, which LG Content said was "free".  Not it is not.  After a trial period the fee is US $49.00 / month.  

Also, I have not been able to yet contact a LG service technician about this.

• Like 1

Does LG look at this forum or do they leave the purchasers to help each other?  Purchased my TV in January and nothing but issues to sort out. Had to go back to using Laptop and even then have difficulties, both with HDMI and wifi using screen share.... does not remember settings. Have to link the two through the process each time I switch on. I am not a happy customer. wish I could return it. My old "dumb" LG works better.

• Sad 1
On 2/9/2020 at 3:12 AM, A. De Mello said:

Model: 2016 55-Inch OLED55B6P Smart OLED TV. 

Current Software Version: 05.30.60

Just wanted to share my experience relating to what started as a YouTube message that read “We’ll stop supporting this browser soon. For best experience please update your browser”.  I don’t consider myself an LG TV expert, so my only motivation is that this might help someone.  The bottom line is there is more than one way to access YouTube on your TV.  

First of all, let me be clear that I am referring to the basic YouTube platform, the one that features ads, which is what I use and care for. You also have YouTube Premium (previously YouTube Red), a paid service that offers an ad-free YouTube experience, and thirdly, YouTube TV, which is another paid service that offers live streaming television to compete with the likes of Sling TV and Hulu with Live TV.

For the longest time I watched basic YouTube through the TV’s Web Browser application and it is through this method that I got the “We’ll stop supporting this browser …” message.  In trying to resolve this I checked for software updates by going to ‘General’ and ‘About this TV’ where I then selected ‘Check for Updates’ but the system response was ‘No updates found’.  My take at this point is that unless LG eventually upgrades the Web Browser application, it looks like this method of accessing YouTube may eventually stop working. It might be a good idea to make sure the “Allow Automatic Updates” option is enabled or checked.

A Second Way (and this how I fixed my situation): I went under ‘LG Content Store’ on the TV, searched for the basic YouTube application and installed it. At first it was a bit awkward to figure out how to navigate the app. but after about 20 minutes of playing with the different remote buttons, I was able to figure it out. As it turns out, this LG YouTube application seems to be more feature rich and is actually easier and more practical to use than by using the Web Browser.

A Third Way: Some time ago I purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ which also offers the ability to access YouTube.  The only issue with this method is that I don’t believe you can use the TV remote to control it (at least I have not figured it out), and for this reason alone, I believe the LG YouTube application is the best solution.  

How did you get YouTube app as we seem to only get kids YouTube. Uf850v 

On 3/16/2020 at 3:40 PM, Michelle van Asperen said:

Does LG look at this forum or do they leave the purchasers to help each other?  Purchased my TV in January and nothing but issues to sort out. Had to go back to using Laptop and even then have difficulties, both with HDMI and wifi using screen share.... does not remember settings. Have to link the two through the process each time I switch on. I am not a happy customer. wish I could return it. My old "dumb" LG works better.

Looks like LG sold TV now get lost, like insurance next time it's buybuy lg

@Neil999 i have the same issue.  This is pretty disgusting behaviour. It seems that lg don't care to listen to their users or provide a consistent and worthy service. My YouTube on webos browser now just locks on the main page with no thumbnails. The LG store only shows kids YouTube and I don't see another way to watch YouTube at all.

Had anyone actually been able to contact LG about this? 

Hi. I endured the problem for a while and reverted to viewing  via my PC. Then one day it just came right. With the recent OS update to version 5, Youtube showed the menus in Eastern script - Korean?- and a few days later it corrected back to English. ( I live in South Africa and the Geo-locked to countries in sub Sahara). At the moment Youtube is working as it should. I do feel the LG store has nothing to offer. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Matt545322
      Hi,

I purchased an LG OLED55BX6LB yesterday and noticed that when signed into the Youtube app, I'm still getting ads displayed despite it showing 'PREMIUM' on the app. Not a massive problem as I can just watch Youtube via an nVidia Shield, which doesn't show ads as expected.
      Still, it's annoying. Is this a one-off, or do others have the same issue?
    • By News Reporter
      [Check out the first episode of the 2021 Tech Trends series .]
      This installment of Beyond News’ 2021 Tech Trends series focuses on how LG’s products are helping people stay healthier wherever they go.
      Staying healthy goes hand in hand with practicing good hygiene both inside and outside the home. And if CES 2021 is anything to go by, appliances and devices that promote better hygiene will be one of the major trends in consumer electronics this year and quite probably for the foreseeable future. Always responsive to the needs and concerns of its global customers, LG showcased several products and technologies at its virtual CES exhibit that are designed to boost hygiene and protect people’s wellbeing. Let’s take a look at some of the company’s latest health-centric innovations and how they can make life better.

For anyone who feels that a conventional face mask just doesn’t do enough to keep them safe, or is too uncomfortable to wear on a daily basis, LG presents the revolutionary LG PuriCare Wearable Air Purifier. The innovative device uses two H13 HEPA filters to prevent up to 99 percent of harmful particles from entering the wearer’s respiratory system,1 and makes breathing easy (unlike your average face mask) with its DUAL Fans and the patented Respiratory Sensor, which syncs the fans with the user’s breathing cycle. And thanks to a design based on extensive facial analysis, the PuriCare Wearable Air Purifier also offers day-long comfort.

The LG PuriCare Wearable is just one of the company’s growing lineup of premium air-care solutions, which also includes residential models and a handy portable option that is great for cars, cafés or even a baby’s stroller! Fast becoming a must-have item in the home and office, air purifiers can rid the indoor environment of fine dust particles and other airborne matter that can be detrimental to one’s health.

LG PuriCare 360° Air Purifier boasts a distinctive 360-degree design and powerful fan that enables the device to send out fresh, filtered air in every direction and to all parts of the room. A great option for those who share their abode with furry friends, the LG PuriCare Pet eliminates pet-related odors up to 55 percent more effectively than the standard LG PuriCare 360° model.2 With its specialized Pet Mode, it can draw in pet hair, as well as dust and other microscopic particles as small as 0.01 micrometers in size thanks to HEPA Filter3, to help keep the home free of sneeze- and itch-inducing allergens.

And then there is the PuriCare Mini Air Purifier, a model that provides supreme portability with a size and weight equivalent to that of a plastic, 500 milliliter bottle of water. Fitting easily on a desk, table or car seat, PuriCare Mini can refresh the user’s immediate environment for up to eight hours on a single charge and also collects dust from the air to ease allergy-related problems.4 What’s more, the Bluetooth-enabled device lets users monitor the quality of the air around them via the LG ThinQ app for smartphone.

In conjunction with effective air purification, a high-quality vacuum cleaner is essential to creating a healthy, hygienic place to live. Making its debut at CES 2021, LG’s latest cordless stick vacuum, the CordZeroThinQ A9 Kompressor+, comes with a brand-new charging station that automatically empties the vacuum’s dustbin. This outstanding feature saves users from a messy job and prevents dust from escaping back into the environment.
      Another excellent feature of the new CordZero model is its ability to transform from vacuum to mop (and back again) with its easy-change cleaning attachments. With the Power Mop attached, LG’s multifunctional cleaning solution sucks in dust while wetting and cleaning the floor. Conveniently, water is automatically dispensed into the mop head to keep it from getting dry, thereby ensuring optimal results and minimizing fuss for the user.

LG even provides a way to remove germs and bacteria as well as allergens5 from clothes while simultaneously delivering that freshly dry-cleaned look without any expensive, time-consuming trips to an actual dry cleaner. Introducing the amazing LG Styler.
      From jackets to dresses, from business shirts to pants and winter coats, LG Styler can refresh and revitalize all kinds of clothing as well as items like teddy bears and backpacks. The Styler uses LG’s TrueSteam® technology to ensure the hygiene of users’ garments, and moving hangers to shake out any unsightly wrinkles. It also has the Pants Press feature built into its door, which creates a sharp pants crease that helps users look good and frees them from the hassle of ironing.

Assisting consumers and their loved ones to stay healthy both inside and outside the home, the latest solutions from LG deliver impressive hygiene benefits and peace of mind. And during these trying times, those are two things that can really mean a lot.
      Stay tuned for future installments of TECH TRENDS here at LG Beyond News.
      # # #
      1 Blocks 99.95 percent of harmful particles with 99.95 percent elimination rate H13 HEPA filters, removing micro particles such as dust, virus, bacteria and allergen. Certified by TÜV Rheinland for eliminating 97.3 percent of viruses and 93.5 percent of bacteria in 8m3 room and 99.1 percent of pollen in 3m3 room with ambient temperature of 25°C (± 2°) and relative humidity of 50 (±10) percent. Product specifications may vary depending on regions and performance results may vary depending on environmental conditions and other external factors.
      2 Test conducted by TÜV Rheinland comparing maximum suction of PuriCare Pet (model AS190DNPA) and standard PuriCare (model AS199DWA) in 8m3 lab at temperature of 23.0° C (± 5.0°) with a relative humidity of 55 percent (± 15 percent). Results may vary depending on environmental conditions and other external factors.
      3 Test conducted by Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials (KIMM). Based on internal testing methods using PuriCare 360° (AS281DAW) in a chamber of 30m3. Results demonstrated that, on average, LG PuriCare is at least 95 percent effective at deodorizing ammonia, acetaldehyde, acetic acid, toluene and formaldehyde. It is also 100 percent effective at removing toluene, and formaldehyde from an enclosed environment (KIMM standard test conditions: 4m2, substances used in test: SO2, NO2). Results may vary depending on environmental conditions and other external factors),
      4 Test conducted by Intertek for clearing 99% of 0.3㎛ particulate matter at the High Speed Mode(H) within 155 minutes in the space of 8m3. Results may vary on depending on the environment and use of the unit.
      5 Test conducted by Korean Apparel Testing and Research Institute (KATRI). Steam Hygiene option sanitizes 99.99 percent of harmful bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Pneumococcal bacillus, for 6.4 kilograms load, the international standard test load. Also, certified by the British Allergy Foundation (BAF) for reducing 99.9 percent of house dust mite allergens and Esche-richia coli and Staphylococcus aureus bacteria. Certified as an asthma and allergy friendly® appliance by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA).

link hidden, please login to view
    • By NikolaZ
      Hi. 
      My 55 UH7707 received an SW update to version  05.50.06.  Here are the issues I have encountered:
      1. The whole user interface became really slow. 
      2. Also, what is most annoying, application updates are not installed, for example, NETFLIX has been impossible to update, being stuck in vicious circle,asking me to update the app, and then not being able to complete the installation of the update. 
      3. Wired connection was disabled, ethernet module was not detecting a cable. I had to do a hard reset to enable the ethernet, and reacquire wired connection to the internet 
    • By JonnyFlores
      It is not understood why this functionality disappeared in WebOS 5 ...
      I have an Oled CX and I don't have this option.
      Why?
    • By News Reporter
      LG Opens Popular Platform and Integrated Content Services to
      Manufacturers to Deliver Better TV Experience to Even More Consumers

SEOUL, Feb. 24, 2021 — LG Electronics (LG) announces the availability of its popular webOS TV platform ecosystem to other TV brand partners, disrupting the status quo in an industry known for its proprietary operating systems across different manufacturers. LG is now expanding its expertise beyond TV manufacturing to encompass webOS TV software platform development and adoption by other TV brands. This has the potential to reshape the TV business for both technology and content providers while significantly growing LG’s presence and prominence in the global home entertainment market.
      As an integral component of LG’s preeminent home entertainment ecosystem, webOS has delivered exceptional ease of use for LG TV owners through its intuitive interface design since 2014. Licensees of webOS TV receive the familiar and highly acclaimed UX design along with a rich pool of features such as voice search and control, integrated AI algorithms and easy connectivity that have earned webOS positive industry and consumer accolades. With LG webOS TV, partners also get a diversity of content options including access to global streaming service apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and sports streaming service DAZN as well as LG Channels, the company’s free premium content streaming service.* Compatible TV models also include the dedicated Magic Motion remote controller.
      Over twenty TV manufacturers from around the world have already committed to the webOS partnership, including brands such as RCA, Ayonz and Konka with more partners expected to join in the future. The webOS ecosystem is supported by technology partners such as Realtek, Nuance, Gracenote, CEVA and Universal Electronics, among many others.
      “The webOS platform is one of the easiest and most convenient way to access millions of hours of movies and TV shows,” said Park Hyoung-sei, president of the LG Home Entertainment Company. “By welcoming other manufacturers to join the webOS TV ecosystem, we are embarking on a new path that allows many new TV owners to experience the same great UX and features that are available on LG TVs. We look forward to bringing these new customers into the incredible world of webOS TV.”
      # # #
      * Content app availability vary by region.

link hidden, please login to view
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Rick Hantz
      Pretty much unusable.
      Very slow - scrolling is terrible. 
      Compatibility with various Web sites is poor.
      Luckily I have an old Windows 7 computer connected.
      Why even have a browser that's so bad?
    • By michaelbr
      Is it possible to install/add different browser in webOS? The default browser that came with TV has some issues (playing videos in Youtube, in full screen mode, just kept refreshing, in other modes plays find, other online streaming seems not working as well). In PC those sites worked just fine, without any problem.
    • By Brennan Phoenix
      According to the developer site, the Web Engine powering the Apps and I assume the Web Browser on WebOS is built on version 53 of Chromium (for 2018-2019 models) or Chromium 68 (for 2020 models). Version 53 is from 2016, and 68 is from 2018. The current version is 85.
      The latest version of JavaScript used  by modern websites (ES7) is only supported in version 68 and above, and there has been some evidence that although WebOS is using version 53 of Chromium the browser is not fully compatible with the previous JavaScript version (ES6).
      The result is that by keeping the WebOS browsers locked in older Chromium bases users will find more websites become unusable on our Smart TVs as old sites are upgraded to new versions and new sites come out. This is not an issue for Android based Smart TVs where users can install current web browsers of their choice.
      LG is supposed to be a leader in technology- I have been incredibly pleased with my LG phones and other appliances but am extremely disappointed with the proprietary WebOS browser on LG Smart TVs. IN 2020 it is unacceptable thar such a fundamental function of a smart device (web browsing) is so out of date.
    • By Kirtan Mehta
      Hi,  I need help to open Microsoft Teams on my LG Webos TV.. 
      I have LG WebOS TV OLED55C8PTA. My software version is 5.10.45. 
      When I open Microsoft Teams browser version from the browser on TV, I get the error message that "Hmm. Your browser version isn't supported. Here's what works: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox."