Quantcast

Input from NAS, SAMBA, or NFS with No DLNA

GJC

Up-vote for that. Mind you, it should not be much more compliated then DLNA application. And support in underlying linux OS exists.

So please LG - add this feature to your development back-log, and would make users that have shared media library lifes easier.

br,k.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

can you please implement this already? as a customer I would greatly appreciate it. This is a very important feature for me (and I know also for my friends considering new tv to buy) - this might be your ace in the sleeve against competition /hint /hint...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What I, and more people on this forum do, is use something like Plex. You can setup a Plex server on your computer very easy and let this server use NAS or other external drives.

There is a native Plex App for the LG tv and this works much better than DNLA, using USB discs or drives.

Only 3D doesn't work very well, but who is using that? 🙂

The problem that I have with Plex is that it transcodes content. I don't want that to happen because my Plex server is not powerful enough and also because I don't think it should be necessary to have Plex to access a network drive from LG webOS and read the files directly. It's capable of that, it's just a matter of adding support.

Thank you for the tip.

Hi PeterV, Thanks for the reply and the idea, appreciated.
I've been around this route, on my WD NAS drive (which is unable to officially support PLEX) I can use an adapted add-on by one of the WD community members. I'm unable to run certain movies, 4k etc through it as it's not powerful enough. I can stream 4k through the DLNA server but this seems to drop out, randomly, not whilst watching a film but sometimes after watching my LG TV refuses to see the DLNA server, sometimes it just doesn't see it at all. No other devices have any problem streaming from my NAS drive, mobile phones, tablets, laptops just my new TV. There's no way to tell the LG TV 'hey my DLNA server resides over at //SERVER or 192.* etc." this is one gripe but I'd rather it just be able to use network drives. Simple technology that's been around a long time and just works, at least on some of my friends Samsung and Sony TVs .
LG Please add this feature

12 hours ago, PeterV said:

There is a native Plex App for the LG tv and this works much better than DNLA, using USB discs or drives.

Can you please provide a link to that app or, at least, it's name? I'm using an xPlay app, and I must admit it worked pretty well, with no transcoding, but it's trial period is ended and when I try to pay for it it's just didn't unlock. I wait for 2 days and then opened a dispute on PayPal and for now I'm waiting for refund. I wrote to the support e-mail [email protected] but still silent. Seems to me the project is abandoned...

Nevertheless, I completely agree with the thought that LG's smart TVs runing webOS must not need no Plex or other media servers to play content via local network. It has to be as simple, as to play content from any media, like USB drives.

18 hours ago, LuisM said:

The problem that I have with Plex is that it transcodes content. I don't want that to happen because my Plex server is not powerful enough and also because I don't think it should be necessary to have Plex to access a network drive from LG webOS and read the files directly. It's capable of that, it's just a matter of adding support.

You can disable transcoding in the native Plex app by setting video to 'original'.

There is also an Emby player where transcoding can be disabled on the server but I do not have any experience with that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pureview said:

I've been around this route, on my WD NAS drive (which is unable to officially support PLEX) I can use an adapted add-on by one of the WD community members. I'm unable to run certain movies, 4k etc through it as it's not powerful enough. I can stream 4k through the DLNA server but this seems to drop out, randomly, not whilst watching a film but sometimes after watching my LG TV refuses to see the DLNA server, sometimes it just doesn't see it at all.

The network interface of the TV is only 100MB, enough for most movies but sometimes not enough for 4K content. You can more info on this elsewhere on this forum.

My suggestion was to add Plex (or Emby or something else) as a server on a computer and add all the network drives you want to that computer. This could stream the content to your TV using the native Plex (of Emby) app.

LG Please add this feature

LG is not reading this forum. It is a User to User Support forum.

12 minutes ago, PeterV said:

You can disable transcoding in the native Plex app by setting video to 'original'.

There is also an Emby player where transcoding can be disabled on the server but I do not have any experience with that.

I didn't know that. I'll give a it a shot, thanks!

LG is not reading this forum. It is a User to User Support forum.

It's weird to have this "LG webOS Wish List" sub-forum then...

• Like 1