Quantcast

Input from NAS, SAMBA, or NFS with No DLNA

GJC

Up-vote for that. Mind you, it should not be much more compliated then DLNA application. And support in underlying linux OS exists.

So please LG - add this feature to your development back-log, and would make users that have shared media library lifes easier.

br,k.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

can you please implement this already? as a customer I would greatly appreciate it. This is a very important feature for me (and I know also for my friends considering new tv to buy) - this might be your ace in the sleeve against competition /hint /hint...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What I, and more people on this forum do, is use something like Plex. You can setup a Plex server on your computer very easy and let this server use NAS or other external drives.

There is a native Plex App for the LG tv and this works much better than DNLA, using USB discs or drives.

Only 3D doesn't work very well, but who is using that? 🙂

The problem that I have with Plex is that it transcodes content. I don't want that to happen because my Plex server is not powerful enough and also because I don't think it should be necessary to have Plex to access a network drive from LG webOS and read the files directly. It's capable of that, it's just a matter of adding support.

Thank you for the tip.

Hi PeterV, Thanks for the reply and the idea, appreciated.
I've been around this route, on my WD NAS drive (which is unable to officially support PLEX) I can use an adapted add-on by one of the WD community members. I'm unable to run certain movies, 4k etc through it as it's not powerful enough. I can stream 4k through the DLNA server but this seems to drop out, randomly, not whilst watching a film but sometimes after watching my LG TV refuses to see the DLNA server, sometimes it just doesn't see it at all. No other devices have any problem streaming from my NAS drive, mobile phones, tablets, laptops just my new TV. There's no way to tell the LG TV 'hey my DLNA server resides over at //SERVER or 192.* etc." this is one gripe but I'd rather it just be able to use network drives. Simple technology that's been around a long time and just works, at least on some of my friends Samsung and Sony TVs .
LG Please add this feature

12 hours ago, PeterV said:

There is a native Plex App for the LG tv and this works much better than DNLA, using USB discs or drives.

Can you please provide a link to that app or, at least, it's name? I'm using an xPlay app, and I must admit it worked pretty well, with no transcoding, but it's trial period is ended and when I try to pay for it it's just didn't unlock. I wait for 2 days and then opened a dispute on PayPal and for now I'm waiting for refund. I wrote to the support e-mail [email protected] but still silent. Seems to me the project is abandoned...

Nevertheless, I completely agree with the thought that LG's smart TVs runing webOS must not need no Plex or other media servers to play content via local network. It has to be as simple, as to play content from any media, like USB drives.

18 hours ago, LuisM said:

The problem that I have with Plex is that it transcodes content. I don't want that to happen because my Plex server is not powerful enough and also because I don't think it should be necessary to have Plex to access a network drive from LG webOS and read the files directly. It's capable of that, it's just a matter of adding support.

You can disable transcoding in the native Plex app by setting video to 'original'.

There is also an Emby player where transcoding can be disabled on the server but I do not have any experience with that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pureview said:

I've been around this route, on my WD NAS drive (which is unable to officially support PLEX) I can use an adapted add-on by one of the WD community members. I'm unable to run certain movies, 4k etc through it as it's not powerful enough. I can stream 4k through the DLNA server but this seems to drop out, randomly, not whilst watching a film but sometimes after watching my LG TV refuses to see the DLNA server, sometimes it just doesn't see it at all.

The network interface of the TV is only 100MB, enough for most movies but sometimes not enough for 4K content. You can more info on this elsewhere on this forum.

My suggestion was to add Plex (or Emby or something else) as a server on a computer and add all the network drives you want to that computer. This could stream the content to your TV using the native Plex (of Emby) app.

LG Please add this feature

LG is not reading this forum. It is a User to User Support forum.

12 minutes ago, PeterV said:

You can disable transcoding in the native Plex app by setting video to 'original'.

There is also an Emby player where transcoding can be disabled on the server but I do not have any experience with that.

I didn't know that. I'll give a it a shot, thanks!

LG is not reading this forum. It is a User to User Support forum.

It's weird to have this "LG webOS Wish List" sub-forum then...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobr-kun said:

Can you please provide a link to that app or, at least, it's name? I'm using an xPlay app, and I must admit it worked pretty well, with no transcoding, but it's trial period is ended and when I try to pay for it it's just didn't unlock. I wait for 2 days and then opened a dispute on PayPal and for now I'm waiting for refund. I wrote to the support e-mail [email protected] but still silent. Seems to me the project is abandoned...

Nevertheless, I completely agree with the thought that LG's smart TVs runing webOS must not need no Plex or other media servers to play content via local network. It has to be as simple, as to play content from any media, like USB drives.

The Plex App is called Plex and it is (al least on my TV) available in the App store.

I just looked in the LG App Store on my TV and man, there are a lot of apps now. You have to select 'All' to find it. X-Play was the predecessor of the Plex App before this app was available on the LG TV.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm set on just having access to my already working network shares. I don't really want my PC to be on all the time, or to go turn it on every-time I want access to the files on my TV. My NAS is already setup serving this purpose.

I cant't seem to get 4k running through plex, perhaps the WD community version available to me isn't up to date enough.

My easiest route right now is going to be attach my android TV device and open the network shares via an app on there e.g VLC or Kodi etc. It would just be nice if the TV supported it natively without the need for the extra hardware.

I wrote to LG's support and suggestions via their website and posted a link to this forum, this thread in-particular. So I can only but hope they do read this thread 😀

I just tried to reproduce using the Original setting with Plex and it works, but only with subtitles disabled.. Which doesn't really fill my use case. 

Anyway I'm cooking up an app that streams directly from UPnP/DLNA and shows external subtitles. It's working, so it's possible. Just need to spend some time making it usable to public and also how to find the external subtitles instead of having them hardcoded with the app. 

• 4 weeks later...

+1 for me, it would be a minimal effort to add SAMBA support in WebOS (that is a Linux derivate OS). Currently I am using Windows Media Server on Windows and Gerbera on Linux as DLNA servers, since the miniDLNA embedded in router has a very poor implementation and does not expose all media on USB disk connected to router. As drawback, I have to move on PC media that I need to display on TV and turn on PC every time.

Otherwise, if LG will continue to not implement SAMBA in WebOS, I will consider buying a simple NAS with a decent DLNA server.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...