Quantcast

DLNA file refresh with Synology Diskstation

Lorenz

Question

Our LG TV does not show files properly when a new file is added in a directory.

We have a Synology diskstation ethernet drive with DLNA and if we download a new file (in the dedicated download folder) or we copy a file from a PC to a folder, the file is not seen in the LG TV.

Sometimes it's there in few minutes, sometimes it's not visible for days! turn on&off is not working.

If we want to watch a video we need to load it on a USB stick, which is definitely not nice in 2019.

Looking at synology forums the DLNA file list should be automatically updated when a new file is added, is there any way to force refresh from LG app?

Thanks

• Confused 1

21 answers to this question

On 11/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, robcaa said:

Can you solve this problem? I have the same problem with my new LG tv

Check this:

link hidden, please login to view

(not worked for me)

Unfortunately no, still having this issue. If you find something please let me know

On 8/27/2019 at 11:41 PM, Lorenz said:

Our LG TV does not show files properly when a new file is added in a directory.

We have a Synology diskstation ethernet drive with DLNA and if we download a new file (in the dedicated download folder) or we copy a file from a PC to a folder, the file is not seen in the LG TV.

Sometimes it's there in few minutes, sometimes it's not visible for days! turn on&off is not working.

If we want to watch a video we need to load it on a USB stick, which is definitely not nice in 2019.

Looking at synology forums the DLNA file list should be automatically updated when a new file is added, is there any way to force refresh from LG app?

Thanks

I noticed the same here on my LG OLED65C97LA in the photo and video app.

Also using a Synology mediaserver, I can confirm the files are listed in other DLNA players (i.e. PlayerXtreme on my iPhone).

But my TV seems to show me a cached version which is annoying, a refresh button in the interface would be great.

I already changed the profile of my Synology NAS in the web interface (Media Server > DMA Compatibility > Device List) from "Default Profile" and "LG TV" and back without any success.

With kind regards,

tl151

It's common for most DLNA-servers - when you just put a new file into the folder used by DLNA-server, the server doesn't rehash its database used for files management. At least it doesn't immediately by default. And if after putting a new file you try to watch video from the DLNA-server on your PC with help of VLC-player, you won't see the added file too. It means, that the problem is not in your TV. For making DLNA-server "know" about a new file in its storage you have to do some extra action. For example it could be done by pressing "rescan directories" button in DLNA-server web-intetface or something like this. With my DLNA-server it helps. After this you will have to restart video-player on your TV

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, Николай Долбня said:

It's common for most DLNA-servers - when you just put a new file into the folder used by DLNA-server, the server doesn't rehash its database used for files management. At least it doesn't immediately by default. And if after putting a new file you try to watch video from the DLNA-server on your PC with help of VLC-player, you won't see the added file too. It means, that the problem is not in your TV. For making DLNA-server "know" about a new file in its storage you have to do some extra action. For example it could be done by pressing "rescan directories" button in DLNA-server web-intetface or something like this. With my DLNA-server it helps. After this you will have to restart video-player on your TV

Other DLNA players do pick up the new files, just my LG TV doesn't.

The restarting the video player (Photo&video App) on the TV has no effect, nor a complete restart of the TV doesn't seem to help. A forced refresh in the Photo&video app would be the best solution imo.

With kind regards,

tl151

I have the same problem with an 43UM7600 (this didn't happen from the start but maybe after months or maybe after last webos update, i don't remember), atm the only solution is to restart the NAS :(

PS: now i have also the problem that some *.srt subtitle are not visualized with the video

8 hours ago, Vesimas said:

I have the same problem with an 43UM7600 (this didn't happen from the start but maybe after months or maybe after last webos update, i don't remember), atm the only solution is to restart the NAS :(

PS: now i have also the problem that some *.srt subtitle are not visualized with the video

Since you can resolve it by restarting the NAS, I'm assuming the files don't get indexed properly by the NAS anymore.

Can you confirm this by getting a DLNA player for iOS or Android and adding new content, if it shows up in the App then it gets indexed properly.

With kind regards,

tl151

Hello,

I have the same issue with dlna. Sometime my tv OLED65C9 doesn't refresh the content, I have already checked that my serveur is providing correctly the new files but the tv doesn't always update its cache.

When I have this issue, I stop the dlna server while the tv is displaying the "home dashboard", then I start again my dlna server  and only then the tv display the updated content.

I have the same issue. I have a LG OLED65C8P and a Synology DiskStation DS218j NAS.   I am sure that the TV is cacheing the DLNA contents because when I add a video file on the NAS side, I see immediate updates from other DLNA clients (e.g. Windows Media Player and a Samsung TV) but the LG TV LG WebOS doesn't show the new file and there is no refresh button in the TV to force it to update from the NAS. I found one workaround which works every time is to disconnect the network cable going to the TV while on the "Photo & Video" menu on the TV where you see your NAS device listed. After a couple seconds  you see a message "Wired network cable disconnected" in the top-right corner of the screen, and about 5-10 seconds after that you see the NAS device disappear from the screen. Now reconnect the cable and you see the NAS device reappear and viola, it refreshed its cache.  I've tested this many times and it works every time, both for adding new files and removing old files. 

Next step to simply the process I added a powered network hub/switch in between the TV and its internet connection that is plugged into a power bar (i.e. surge protector) that has a On/Off switch (no other devices connected to it). So  when I need to refresh the DLNA cache I just turn the switch Off which powers off the hub/switch which causes the TV to lose its network connection, wait 10 seconds then flip it back On.

I hope LG fixes this problem in the next LG WebOS update.  The behavior like other DLNA client devices should be that it re-queries the contents of the current folder you are looking in real-time. Or at a minimum it should provide a refresh button that will let the user force refresh the current folder.

• Like 2

Just to add to my previous post, to help further automate the fix, I bought a smart plug for the hub/switch to plug into which is controlled from my Echo Dot, and I created a routine in the Amazon Alexa app to turn off the switch, wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on.  So now if I'm sitting on the couch and if I see the cache hasn't refreshed I just say "Alexa, fix the tv" and 10 seconds later it's fixed.

• Haha 1

I also have a WebOS LG TV that does this, based on the previous Alexa answer I tried this.

1 - Close the Video and Photos app
2 - Go to network settings and disconnect the TV
3 - Reopen the Video and Photos app (the dlna folders were missing obviously), and close it again
4 - Go to network settings and reconnect the TV
5 - Reopen the Video and Photos app. Now the files appear.

I don't know if step 3 is necessary but these were the steps I took for the files to appear, maybe it helped clear the cache.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:44 AM, nspuser said:

Just to add to my previous post, to help further automate the fix, I bought a smart plug for the hub/switch to plug into which is controlled from my Echo Dot, and I created a routine in the Amazon Alexa app to turn off the switch, wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on.  So now if I'm sitting on the couch and if I see the cache hasn't refreshed I just say "Alexa, fix the tv" and 10 seconds later it's fixed.

Going to do something similar, tried pulling the network cable out for 10 seconds and that worked a treat, and a lot quicker than re-indexing over 15TB of content.

March 2024.

LG CX, still not fixed. DLNA directories and files not refreshing/updating. 

PS: this is not an issue with Synology NAS, because on other client devices (other TVs, or media players), the DLNA folder content is shown refreshed immediately.

Hi guys, one way to force it to refresh is by doing this:
1 -  Go to the network options, disable the wifi connection (somethimes you have to wait a minute after doing this step before doing the next ones).
2 - Try to open the dlna folder (you won't be able to because it's missing) .
3 - Re-enable the wifi connection and try to open the dlna folder again.
(If it doesn't work the first time give it a few tries or reboot the TV with the wifi disabled).

Another alternative is this. When you open your dlna folder you can select "all files" or  you can specifically chose  "audio", "video" or "pictures".
If your video file doesn't appear when you select "all files" it can still appear when you chose "video", or vice-versa.

I know this sounds like you're just a few steps away of doing a rain dance but I hope this helps.

26 minutes ago, peter28 said:

I ended up using Plex Server on the Synology, and Plex app on the LG TV. It plays all MKV and MP4 without any issues, unlike LG built in video player.

My Synology is a little underpowered for that solution, but I have a PC running PLEX pointed at the Synology NAS, sorted out my streaming issues, and has the bonus that I can share my library with family and friends, they just need a PLEX account.