Quantcast

Input from NAS, SAMBA, or NFS with No DLNA

GJC

Hi,

I am able to access USB mounted on ASUS RT-AC68U from TV  LG OLED 48CX without any problem. The router have to ENABLE "guest login" that requires no password. Should not be a problem with security issues if you have a router with firewall.

If I try remove guest loging., it does not work. The network drive will automatically appear on the LG TV on network picture, and can be accessed without any configuration at all. 

regards Ingemar

router RT-AC68U guest login.JPG

27 minutes ago, Ingemar Olsson said:

Hi,

I am able to access USB mounted on ASUS RT-AC68U from TV  LG OLED 48CX without any problem. The router have to ENABLE "guest login" that requires no password. Should not be a problem with security issues if you have a router with firewall.

If I try remove guest loging., it does not work. The network drive will automatically appear on the LG TV on network picture, and can be accessed without any configuration at all. 

regards Ingemar

Well thanks for the reply. However I am afraid my LG TV does not have something that you called "network picture". It has "Inputs" and in there I can only see either USB content of devices connected directly to TV's USB slots or shared content via UPNP/DLNA.

But yeah I gave it a try and I activated guest access on my windows PC and I shared some drive with access for guest user there. Nothing new appeared on TV.

OK, yes it's called Input or Instrumentpanel (Swedish), or if you open the  "Music App" you will also see the Media Server available.

If you Share files from your PC/Windows you have to give access via Control panel and network and sharing-> advanced sharing alternatives (text in control panel i not exact, Swedish on my PC).

Also change "alternative for media playing" on control panel.

You can also come there from Windows Media Player directly. See picture.

20201207_120043.jpg

nw and sharing center.JPG

windows sharing directly.png

media sharing LG TV.JPG

Firstly thank you Ingemar for your suggestion 👍.

I've looked at my Asus RT-AC87U and I can see that as well as your shares you probably have the setting USB Application -> Servers Centre -> Media Server ->Enable UPnP Media Server turned on, which does let the LG TV see the share via the UPnP . Unfortunately we wouldn't be able to see this on our TV if it were just a normal network share(samba).

If you do connect a DLNA device and you then want to save a favourite folder link from the menu or on quick access etc, you can't. (noticed this while testing with DLNA device my other shares are samba).
It'd be great if there were options to point the TV to the correct location NAS/Samba etc because we know it's there.

I have the model OLED55B8PLA, it's still quite a bit under 2 years old. My input menu looks nothing like yours though. It does have a preview and the inputs are just listed on the left.

---

I've concluded that It's actually ridiculous that this hasn't been implemented It also seems it will stay this way.
Samba shares are usually easy to access from most operating systems and devices why LG decides to give us less connectivity options than other manufacturers is beyond my knowledge.

I've had no reply from LG Support on 2 tickets that I had opened/raised with them so I eventually gave up. I love the quality of the OLED panel and the 2.2 sound system. Yet just because of the software I very much doubt my next TV will be LG. In the meantime I've used a Samsung TV, and Sony, both able to see the network shares (both a year or 2 older than mine).  Sony being the best as the apps it has support for are great.

Again if possible can anyone interested in this feature please request it to LG and post a ticket, you never know maybe you'll get a lucky response.

Yes - it would seem you have DLNA / UPNP active - which is not the same as Samba 

If I plug in a USB device into my Billion Bipac router - it appears on the LG Input selection screen - but only because the router automatically enables UPNP/DLNA.

I did try setting all my Video related shares to Guest login on my QNAP - but it did not make any difference. The only way to get these to appear is to enable DLNA on my NAS - which I am reluctant to do as it has other performance side effects etc

Hi Yes I have the PPnP server ACTIVE on my ASUS RT-68U as well. I have two USB connected to the Router, but only allow acces to one. See bottom of picture.

What is difference with DLNA and UPnP? 

What side effects are you talking about?

And to PUREVIEW user:

If you do connect a DLNA device and you then want to save a favourite folder link from the menu or on quick access etc, you can't. (noticed this while testing with DLNA device my other shares are samba).
It'd be great if there were options to point the TV to the correct location NAS/Samba etc because we know it's there.

What do you mean here with"favorite folder link" Is it on the LG TV?

And finally.. If I press the "input" buttom on the remote I get this picture with all shared devices. Here I have on shared from the ASUS router and one shared from my Windows 10 PC. They appear automatically here without any configuration at all. My TV is from 2020 November.

ASUS media server ACTIVE.JPG

20201208_131446.jpg

What do you mean here with"favorite folder link" Is it on the LG TV?

Yes on the TV. When you browse your DLNA media then navigate to e.g. a file structure, by folder->my movies->08-dec-2020 (as an example folder structure) this can not be added to the home screen or

link hidden, please login to view
 (), which would be useful for navigating back to the folder instead of going through many clicks.
To access media in DLNA I first need to go in to the  gallery app.

Your TV has a very different looking UI. Maybe they have added a few features too?

UPNP and DLNA work ok, they are pretty much the same thing, DLNA is a newer version with some improvements I believe. LG only needed to implement DLNA for both to work, its lazy.

As you see many people on the thread  would like access to network shares via the other standards and protocols (samaba), nothing fancy. Apparently WebOS is based off of linux so it should be really easy to implement.

I can't comment on the slow downs from using DLNA myself as I've not experienced them. I've heard of DLNA slowing NAS drives down. Whether its from indexing massive libraries or other functions I'm not sure. What I have had though is DLNA disappearing sometimes and reappearing randomly - sometimes I turn the TV on and it's just not there, my other devices can see it. Like you said there's no need/way to configure it, it just appears! This is good and bad, good for ease of use, bad if your TV doesn't see your device, IMO they should give us both options.

Anyway Nice TV, enjoy it  and Welcome! 🙂

Thanks for the reply.

The side effect I experience is constant hard drive activity once DLNA is enabled  (even after the 1st few days of any initial scan)- despite trying the various settings etc on my QNAP NAS. This is not only noisy, but I suspect will reduce the life of the HDD due to constant HDD activity.

As mentioned above Samba support should be offered - it should be a no brainer and easy to implent.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I wanted OLED smart TV, that can access NAS drive directly (no DLNA) and run videos from it. I've a cople ~10 years old LG BP620 Blu-Ray players.  They can access SMB drive and play 1080p with no problem. I didn't go with LG OLED TV only because it cannot do it. I'm looking to replace another plasma set with OLED and was shocked to find that LG still doesn't have it.

• 4 weeks later...

I also vote for this, but since LG is not reading this I will open another request.
Perhaps everyone else can also do that so that it gets priority.
As far as I got it can be done here: 

link hidden, please login to view

Please ask for this feature so that LG recognizes there is something missing that more than one person needs.

I have DLNA (miniDLNA) and TV is connected to a wired connection. It is working, but sometimes the playback stops without an obvious reason. And I have to just start the Video again at the same time.
That's not nice.
Also, the browsing of the content with DLNA is not fast. Opening a Folder with a lot of Items can take up to 20 seconds of waiting time on the newest LG C1 OLED?
I think all these problems would not be there if we can have an NFS or SAMBA share access.

I would like to see just an NFS implementation to connect a network share from a NAS. SAMBA is also good. Can be implemented in one UI.
It is really strange that LG does not have something like this but wants to replace Android TV *lol*.

Best regards,
Stefan

• Like 1

• 6 months later...