Quantcast

Hey there,  I have had a  OLED55B6P for ten months and I love it but

I have a problem all a sudden, just today it starts to show a black screen with fire works every minutes if I don't press a button on the remote.

I have no eco mode on, no power save modes on, TV firmwire is up to date, and tried turning off on and on the tv.

anyone know how to fix?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a feature built into the TV to prevent image retention and burn-in.  It is designed to come on after a "static" image is detected on the screen after about a minute.  No way to disable it, nor should you want to.

As to why it showed up all of a sudden, it may have been deployed in an update.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Utahbob : thanks for replying, but your response is of no use and very naive . Do you really think we would be posting this to the board, if it was from “static” images.  ‘Nor should you want to “ ....? Really .?

OF COURSE WE WANT TO DISABLE  AND WE SHOULD AS ITS MESSING WITH WATCHING TV, WHICH IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DEVISE.  the purpose of this devise is not to show fireworks screen savers but allow us to watch our tv signals.

perhaps you post something more useful in future 

@Chaoskcw - thank you so much for your "helpful" reply.  The original post does not say whether he is watching live TV, streaming, or what.  If you pause the screen, the screen saver is designed to come on.  If it's coming on during a show that hasn't been paused, it's a problem with the TV and he needs to call LG for help.  People do much more with their Smart TVs than just "watch TV". 

If you think my post was "of no use and very naive", all your post was designed to do was give me a hard time.  Mine was to try to help the person with the problem, even if it didn't turn out to be the correct solution.

So you tell me, which post was of more value on this forum?    If you want to troll people on-line and make yourself feel better, you should try another forum.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 9:10 AM, Chaoskcw said:

Utahbob : thanks for replying, but your response is of no use and very naive . Do you really think we would be posting this to the board, if it was from “static” images.  ‘Nor should you want to “ ....? Really .?

OF COURSE WE WANT TO DISABLE  AND WE SHOULD AS ITS MESSING WITH WATCHING TV, WHICH IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DEVISE.  the purpose of this devise is not to show fireworks screen savers but allow us to watch our tv signals.

perhaps you post something more useful in future 

You shouldn't insult others when you have no idea what you're talking about. Utahbob is 100% correct. The screensaver is the first line of defense put into the TV to prevent burn-in and image retention, which is a concern with OLED technology. If the screensaver comes on, it is literally because you are NOT watching the TV, but have whatever you are watching paused for over two minutes.

Fun fact: when you hit 'play' or any button on the remote, the screensaver will instantly stop and whatever you are watching will resume.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cody k said:

You shouldn't insult others when you have no idea what you're talking about. Utahbob is 100% correct. The screensaver is the first line of defense put into the TV to prevent burn-in and image retention, which is a concern with OLED technology. If the screensaver comes on, it is literally because you are NOT watching the TV, but have whatever you are watching paused for over two minutes.

Fun fact: when you hit 'play' or any button on the remote, the screensaver will instantly stop and whatever you are watching will resume.

You shouldnt insult others? Thats rich when you just said he dont know what your talking about!!

Fun fact; i dont want to keep pushing buttons on the remote when we are looking at the karaoke words on deezer!!

I dont think you know what you are talking about?

😉joke.

Anyway i still find it very annoying as the screensaver comes on when not wanted.

The option would be nice as there are many apps that need to screen visible but goes into screensaver mode.

Turn it back on when you need it would be ideal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Howard said:

I definitely agree we should have more granularity when it comes to the settings. LG was *so* great about giving us an absolutely obscene amount of it in our video settings, but I can't turn off the irritating "no input detected" pop-up, modify the screensaver in any way or even change the rotating wallpaper. I mean, that's BASIC customization, and ridiculously easy to implement.

I don't know anything about Deezer, but it seems odd that the changing subtitles wouldn't be enough to untrigger the screensaver. Conversely, I find it frustrating that the screensaver doesn't work with external components like either of my Playstations, my 4K disc player or my Chromecast. It doesn't kick in at all. If it's *that* critical, LG (and I personally agree that it is), then the input choice shouldn't matter. If you have something like that, maybe try accessing Deezer through it instead of directly through the TV?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have had this happen twice in the last 18 months on my 55" oled.

Screensaver kicks in right in the middle of a show on my cable box.  There is no reason for it to do so.

I have found that in my case (don't know if this will be true for others) that it is a problem with the HDMI connection.  Somehow the tv does not recognize the HDMI connection anymore.  All the other HDMI connections work properly.

I have been able to fix it by unplugging the bad HDMI and switching it to another HDMI.  I leave the bad HDMI port unplugged overnight and the next day I restore the connection and the problem goes away.

To verify that this is the problem go to the screen where you name the all the connections and choose the bad HDMI:  the tv will not switch to that connection.  It will switch to all of the other HDMI connections without any problem.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The current setting is definitely horrible and not working correctly. Screensaver should *NOT* come on when I have apps running like Spotify or Netflix. Like Dave, I don't want to have to keep pushing buttons to follow along with what songs are playing and what lyrics the songs have.

I get that it is burn in protection, but I paid good money for this TV and I prefer for it to work the way I want it to and disable any "protective" features if I don't want them, rather than be forced to stare at a black screen with a few dots pretending to be "fireworks".

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem. It's specifically when watching the Freeview IP TV channels in the UK. These are internet streams accessible via Freeview channels in the 200 range. Its very annoying as the TV must think that there's nothing happening on screen, when in reality I'm watching a normal programme that happens to be coming from the internet. Oddly, internet streams using apps such as iPlayer and YouTube do not trigger the screen saver.

As there's no way to configure this in settings I'm assuming it's a bug. Is it worth contacting LG Support or are they as clueless as all the other manufacturers' support departments?

• Like 1

I have tried to pursue this about as far as I think I could through the support channels. In the end I got a call back from a reasonable support agent, but I fear that in the end they are all fairly clueless. They had me take a photo of the screen first to demonstrate that there was no setting to turn off the screensaver, which they believed existed. So it looks like this was a setting, but has since been removed or doesn't get included on some models.

In the end, the problem is still here and we're no step closer to a solution, but I was assured my feedback would be passed on to the development team.

Some things I suggested if disabling the screensaver is too hard for them:

• Allow us to configure the duration of the screensaver so it at least doesn't kick in after 2 minutes, but perhaps after 15 or 30 minutes only which would make it much less obnoxious.
  • Allow apps to override this so apps like Spotify can disable it
  • Show a warning that you disable the screensaver at your own risk of screen burn in but allow us to do it anyway
  • Allow us to disable it temporarily, e.g. for 24 hours, so we can use apps like Spotify or someone mentioned karaoke, without the screensaver kicking in, but for it to re-enable again after a day to continue "protecting" us from ourselves.

So many options to address this and make it less obnoxious, but unfortunately I don't think there's a way to get directly in touch with the development team to pass them such kind of feedback, so one can only hope they read forums like this.

I have gotten used to not being able to use the TV the way I want to now, and found some hacks to bypass the issue. For example, the screensaver doesn't kick in when you have media through HDMI coming in, so you can just use Spotify on a Chromecast unit instead.

But if this problem doesn't go away at some stage, my next tv will definitely not be LG.

• Like 1

Hi, some very good suggestions there. It looks like LG want to have their cake and eat it if this screensaver nonsense is a feature and not a bug. They won't accept any liability for burn in or image retention, yet they still inflict the screen saver kicking in after two minutes, with no override possible. What's the point? Idiotic.

11 hours ago, x22 said:

This workaround seems to work for me:

1. Set Quick Start+ to “Off”

2. Turn your TV off and on

3. Set Quick Start+ to “On” if you want. Fireworks shouldn’t come back

Good luck!

Sadly that didn't work for me (LG E8).  After doing what you suggest I checked an IP channel on Freeview and the fireworks still happened after two minutes.

Hi, I was already on the latest OS, and unplugging the TV made no difference.  It's odd that it fixed the problem for you as I'm not sure what the connection would be between the Quick Start + facility and the screen saver.  Do you have to do the workaround every time you switch the TV on or is the issue fixed permanently?

I assumed the issue was by design but perhaps it is actually a bug if you've managed to overcome it. Very odd.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/5/2019 at 11:06 AM, TonyB said:

Hi, I was already on the latest OS, and unplugging the TV made no difference.  It's odd that it fixed the problem for you as I'm not sure what the connection would be between the Quick Start + facility and the screen saver.  Do you have to do the workaround every time you switch the TV on or is the issue fixed permanently?

I assumed the issue was by design but perhaps it is actually a bug if you've managed to overcome it. Very odd.

Yeah, that didn’t make sense to me either. I was trying different things to see what works... 

So... the screen saver came back for me the other, but I noticed something else. I had left my AppleTV while I was watching cable TV and the screen saver came on. It didn’t come back after turning off the AppleTV.

I’m obviously speculating here, but I think other input sources that you normally leave on for a while, such as a pc or gaming console, might trigger the screen saver if they’re sitting idle. We might be getting closer to solving the mystery :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here. LG CX65 bought a month ago. it's already happened two times that while I was watching a normal TV channel the fireworks screensaver kicked in. After the first time I did a reset of the TV, but it happened again today. Someone did find a solution? If could be useful to know, I have an Xbox series x, a ps5 and a soundbar connected respectively to HADMI port 1, 2 and 3 and the consoles always stays in sleep mode. they works great, no problem at all, and the hdmi cables are brand new.
the first time the fireworks kicked in while a was watching a news Channel i has only the soundbar and PS4 connected tho.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk