Quantcast

I never get it on normal TV or Bluerays. I do get it when watching DLNA slideshows for more than an hour or so. It's supposed to be a "smart" tv. It's more of a smart-alec tv. When watching moving slideshows via DLNA surely the software can figure out that I don't want it to stop? I can turn the feature off in the settings but that comes with warnings of doom and gloom.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 7:20 PM, x22 said:

Yeah, that didn’t make sense to me either. I was trying different things to see what works... 

So... the screen saver came back for me the other, but I noticed something else. I had left my AppleTV while I was watching cable TV and the screen saver came on. It didn’t come back after turning off the AppleTV.

I’m obviously speculating here, but I think other input sources that you normally leave on for a while, such as a pc or gaming console, might trigger the screen saver if they’re sitting idle. We might be getting closer to solving the mystery :)

Thank you! This is what we have noticed as well. The husband turned on a video game while a football game was on (on the Apple). The fireworks kept coming on. This had never happened to use before, this screensaver even. We thought it could be the fact that he was using his gaming headphones. We turned those off, while I read this thread. Came upon this comment and noticed that we’ve never left the Apple TV on while navigating to another source. We’ve had the TV almost 4yrs and never ran into this problem. I believe this is the answer to our problem! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you! This is what we have noticed as well. The husband turned on a video game while a football game was on (on the Apple). The fireworks kept coming on. This had never happened to use before, this screensaver even. We thought it could be the fact that he was using his gaming headphones. We turned those off, while I read this thread. Came upon this comment and noticed that we’ve never left the Apple TV on while navigating to another source. We’ve had the TV almost 4yrs and never ran into this problem. I believe this is the answer to our problem! Thank you!
It just happened to me again few seconds ago. It's the 6th time from October and I don't understand what trigger it. In this case I can tell you that I switched to the normal TV channel while my ps5 was running on HDMI1, but I act this way always and the other times the screensaver never kicked in. So strange, I really don't know.

Inviato dal mio SM-G965F utilizzando Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I two am having issues with this.  I am using the Plex app to play local created media.  This Plex app has its own screensaver which displays my own images which rotate every few (about five) seconds.  It is a very nice screen saver but I can’t enjoy it because the LG screensaver overrides this one even though there is never a static image on the screen.    Please fix!

4 hours ago, Zipperhead said:

This doesn’t work.   There is no option to disable screensaver after pressing mute 5 times. 

It definitely worked and solved my issue with the hidden screensaver menu using a Magic Remote! :) Try calling LG Support and they can solve your issue! Good Luck!

On 3/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, JasonT said:

It definitely worked and solved my issue with the hidden screensaver menu using a Magic Remote! :) Try calling LG Support and they can solve your issue! Good Luck!

There is an option “No Signal Image” which is turned off but that only applies if you are connected to an input with no signal.  That is not the problem I’m having. 

A4A3FD31-FB54-4825-91A7-81825749A601.jpeg

On 4/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, Cody k said:

You shouldn't insult others when you have no idea what you're talking about. Utahbob is 100% correct. The screensaver is the first line of defense put into the TV to prevent burn-in and image retention, which is a concern with OLED technology. If the screensaver comes on, it is literally because you are NOT watching the TV, but have whatever you are watching paused for over two minutes.

Fun fact: when you hit 'play' or any button on the remote, the screensaver will instantly stop and whatever you are watching will resume.

He does know what he is taking about.  The screensaver he is taking about comes on when watching media using apps.  It comes on even though there is no static image on the screen and it prevents users from enjoying the media they wish to enjoy on the TV they paid good money for.  So stop insulting the user and if you can’t tell us a way to disable the screensaver then don’t say anything because your just wrong when you say the screensaver  is necessary.  

My daughter has a Samsung Smart TV with the same apps and their TV doesn’t interrupt the media with a screensaver so I guess if LG won’t listen to us and fix the issue then the real fix is to ditch the LG and start buying Samsung TV’s instead.  

Edited by Zipperhead
Added new info

• 2 weeks later...

I have an open trouble ticket with LG on this issue.  But getting no resolution and after spent hours on the phone and remote service their latest response has been there is nothing more they can do.  Even after showing them video of the screensaver interrupting media that was not paused or static images.  I would like to see more users submitting trouble tickets and not accepting the lame excuse that it’s to protect your screen.  Please let me know what apps you use where the LG screensaver comes on instead of letting you view your content.  Such as karaoke or photo viewing apps.   

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Userbrasil said:

Thank you, work just fine.

Really appreciate.👏👏👏👍

There is so much wrong with your comment.  First off that mute 5 times menu is for Turning off the “No Signal Image” message when you are connected to an input with no signal.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the screensaver mentioned in the original post which pops on while viewing content within apps.  In fact when you have opened an application that “press mute button five times” feature doesn’t even bring up the menu shown in an earlier post.  It simply toggles the sound on and off fives times.  
If you want to duplicate the problem mentioned in original post install the application “SmartScreensaver” by WebOSCoder.   Open it and just view the images.   In a couple of minutes the LG fireworks/clock&weather screensaver will interrupt the images.  

43 minutes ago, Zipperhead said:

There is so much wrong with your comment.  First off that mute 5 times menu is for Turning off the “No Signal Image” message when you are connected to an input with no signal.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the screensaver mentioned in the original post which pops on while viewing content within apps.  In fact when you have opened an application that “press mute button five times” feature doesn’t even bring up the menu shown in an earlier post.  It simply toggles the sound on and off fives times.  
If you want to duplicate the problem mentioned in original post install the application “SmartScreensaver” by WebOSCoder.   Open it and just view the images.   In a couple of minutes the LG fireworks/clock&weather screensaver will interrupt the images.  

Dude, I think you have some personal issues to resolve.
I'm saying it worked on my tv.
You are doubting my word without even knowing me.
I say to this community that here on my TV in Brazil, this procedure solved the problem.
Use a translator and see that I disabled the screen saver, then I tested the browser and now it's ok.

Boa sorte e adeus.

teve.jpeg

15 hours ago, Userbrasil said:

Dude, I think you have some personal issues to resolve.
I'm saying it worked on my tv.
You are doubting my word without even knowing me.
I say to this community that here on my TV in Brazil, this procedure solved the problem.
Use a translator and see that I disabled the screen saver, then I tested the browser and now it's ok.

Boa sorte e adeus.

teve.jpeg

I want to apologize for my apparent frustration.  You are clearly trying to help.   My frustration is with LG.  Apparently LG is not consistent with their firmware across models.  This one doesn’t have that option and on latest software update.   And based on the date of the first post for this issue it has been a problem for some time.   But at least it looks like they have fixed it in some models or some regions.  So there is hope they will expand that fix.    

DA928A35-1091-4823-A063-A679F7DE75D0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, raehl311 said:

Same problem.  Pressing mute on the remote 5 times... mutes and unmutes the TV 5 times.  No other apparent way to disable this "feature".

I don't know what I did differently, but the press mute 5 times button DID get me a mini service menu where I could turn off the screen saver.  If it doesn't work for you, try with the home menu up on the screen, or right after the TV turns on.

27 minutes ago, raehl311 said:

I don't know what I did differently, but the press mute 5 times button DID get me a mini service menu where I could turn off the screen saver.  If it doesn't work for you, try with the home menu up on the screen, or right after the TV turns on.

When I do that I only get an option to turn off the No Signal Image but not the screensaver.  

1 minute ago, Zipperhead said:

When I do that I only get an option to turn off the No Signal Image but not the screensaver.  

Definitely seems model dependent.   Mine is a newly purchased 32LQ630BPUA from Best Buy.

May try checking you have the latest software/firmware version.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue is definitely Model specific.  The newer OLED models have this issue when you are using Apps from the built in WebOS.  Some Apps do not need the screensaver because the Apps have their own protection built in.  But since there are so many Karen’s out there that think they know more than you do everyone that complains is just told the LG screensaver is to protect you from yourself.   But the ideal solution would be to allow the owner of the TV to exempt certain apps from the screensaver that have their own protection built in.  This would satisfy the Karen’s and those of us that want to maximize the potential of our investment.