Quantcast

Enabling usb recording and live tv

Hblone

Question

Hallo, I bought a 55un74006LB smart tv in Italy. It seems not to have usb recording capabilities, according to the information on the italian website, but the UK site declare it has. I think it's the same product with the same functions, so how can I turn the live tv and usb recording on? I think I found the options in the service menu but I cannot change the values. Any suggestion?

On 10/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, Hblone said:

@T0BlAS I tried every options, even what @td47 suggested, but changing the location settings does not enable usb recording. I would try changing the number in tool_opt6 but I couldn't find any lists of code numbers to type in there.

@Selvin Fúnez you can enter the menu by downloading AnyMote Smart Remote on your mobile phone, then press EZ-Adjust key, type 0413 as password and you're in. Can you please post a picture of your settings under tool_opt6 so I can try to copy it? Thank you!

The thing is my phone lacks of infrared port, I'll try to find how to enter this menu on the normal remote. 

@Hblone 

I see from the spec here:

link hidden, please login to view

that it shows "Time Machine (DVR)  YES" so the recording functionality IS there, but it will need a small self-powered HDD (external backup type of hard disk) plugged into the USB3 socket to activate the recording functionality that the TV has. NOTE: the new disk when added, may trigger a recording "setup" automatically anyway, so be aware that it may well want to format it to the TV requirements (file structures, folder names etc), that may take a few minutes. Use Velcro or a cable tie to hold the external disk in a convenient place, so that it does not strain the connection cable (NEVER let it hang from the cable). I would use about 500GB or a 1TB HDD drive, depending on the amount of recordings you want to do, and if HD quality or not. 

ALSO: be aware that even when in standby, the TV will still have enough "smart electronic logic" active to do the scheduled recordings on its own, it does NOT need to be in the ON state, BUT DO NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE WALL SOCKET OBVIOUSLY! 😊

If you have a smart remote, you might find the "Q.MENU" button, or one button marked "123" to get to your settings. If you had a separate manual for your remote or TV, have a good read to see if it helps with the recording side. It MIGHT be the "settings" cog button on yours, I am not sure.

I find the Time Machine scheduling a bit clunky and non-intelligent on my older LG, but you may find your later one is smarter? A typical issue is that (unlike a set-top-box like Sky) it will not necessarrily "track" any time changes to a scheduled program if it starts late. If you adjust it to start at an earlier time, then the "File/program name" will reflect the PREVIOUS program title, and NOT the actual one that is the main recorded program!!

I know that the smart remotes have a good voice command function, so press the button to activate the microphone and try saying "time machine". I find the voice command useful to get to "settings" with my older magic remote, as I can never remember how to get to it on my TV otherwise... 😊

By the way, I find that Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate portable USB3 drives are good for this, use this Google search term to see what is available in your area:

"site:.uk Western Digital portable drive" or "site:.uk seagate portable drive" without the quotes. The site thing limits sites to your country/area/locale so avoids generic ".COM" sites usually.

@td47 @td47 thank you for your answer. I do have an older lg smart tv and I use Time Machine and DVR on it. About this new one, I know the UK model has the functionalty there, but on the Italian website 

they say it doesn't, and if I plug the hdd in and try to record I get a 'function not available' message. I guess it's the same device with the same capabilities and I guess that the function is switched off by software on the Italian model. How can I turn it on?

20 hours ago, td47 said:

@Hblone 

I see from the spec here:

that it shows "Time Machine (DVR)  YES" so the recording functionality IS there, but it will need a small self-powered HDD (external backup type of hard disk) plugged into the USB3 socket to activate the recording functionality that the TV has. NOTE: the new disk when added, may trigger a recording "setup" automatically anyway, so be aware that it may well want to format it to the TV requirements (file structures, folder names etc), that may take a few minutes. Use Velcro or a cable tie to hold the external disk in a convenient place, so that it does not strain the connection cable (NEVER let it hang from the cable). I would use about 500GB or a 1TB HDD drive, depending on the amount of recordings you want to do, and if HD quality or not. 

ALSO: be aware that even when in standby, the TV will still have enough "smart electronic logic" active to do the scheduled recordings on its own, it does NOT need to be in the ON state, BUT DO NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE WALL SOCKET OBVIOUSLY! 😊

If you have a smart remote, you might find the "Q.MENU" button, or one button marked "123" to get to your settings. If you had a separate manual for your remote or TV, have a good read to see if it helps with the recording side. It MIGHT be the "settings" cog button on yours, I am not sure.

I find the Time Machine scheduling a bit clunky and non-intelligent on my older LG, but you may find your later one is smarter? A typical issue is that (unlike a set-top-box like Sky) it will not necessarrily "track" any time changes to a scheduled program if it starts late. If you adjust it to start at an earlier time, then the "File/program name" will reflect the PREVIOUS program title, and NOT the actual one that is the main recorded program!!

I know that the smart remotes have a good voice command function, so press the button to activate the microphone and try saying "time machine". I find the voice command useful to get to "settings" with my older magic remote, as I can never remember how to get to it on my TV otherwise... 😊

By the way, I find that Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate portable USB3 drives are good for this, use this Google search term to see what is available in your area:

"site:.uk Western Digital portable drive" or "site:.uk seagate portable drive" without the quotes. The site thing limits sites to your country/area/locale so avoids generic ".COM" sites usually.

@Hblone Apologies I did not notice that your locaton was Italy, and your problem is with a recently purchased Italian variant LG TV.

It does seem odd that older model has a working Time Machine functionality, but the newer model would have a restriction (maybe due to cost, or difficulties with current copyright laws in Italy).

Have you tried contacing the shop where it was purchased from, or LG Italy directly, for comment? This forum is NOT an official arm of LG (they might look at it if we are lucky, but I don't think they officially comment here directly).

Edited by td47
typo

Hello,

I have the same Problem with the LG UN7300 from italy. The reason for this is, that LG doesn't pay the italian tax for recording devices (SIAE), which also includes TV with DVR/PVR.

I went in the EZ-ADJUST menu and found the DVR Ready function under "ToolOPT6_Energy/Country".

image.thumb.jpeg.69877ee0d0d53dd2982219a54e065cfa.jpeg

It's greyed out so it's not possible to turn it on.

Would it be possible to change the number of "ToolOPT6_Energy/Country" to a number for a country where USB Recording is available? Is someone here with an LG UN7300 and working Recording who can share this number?

• Like 1

@T0BlAS FYI: there may be another setting section for actual country or region coding. Those other numbers may be "subordinate" to the "region" (say Europe, Asia etc), and country codes. Make a note of them before you change them as the TV could become inoperative.

I found this in a related forum, but was from 2015, so later TV models may well have a totally different setup or menu options. The country code for UK appears to be 3122.

"I have LG 60UB850T purchased and using it in Dubai. Managed to change location using LG Service Menu Explorer app for Android downloaded from Google Playstore and installed on my Samsung 10.1 Tablet.
With TV on, run the app and select Infra-red as means of connection.
App opens to look like remote control.
Press button which looks like a 'red Wand' icon on right hand side.
You are asked to enter one of two codes, mine was 0413.
You are now presented with EX-ADJ menu, scroll down to 'Area Settings' using the down arrows and press enter.
Change the top line 4 digit to the code of your choice. 3122 for UK, 1793 for US etc.
Press 'red wand' until service menu closes and just have TV, reboot the TV (turn off then on). WEBOS should reload.
Go to TV settings menu and select Location, your selected continent should be selected all you have to do is select country of service."

12 hours ago, Selvin Fúnez said:

Hello.

I have an LG UN7300 with USB recording enabled in Honduras, just tell me how to get there and I'll share the code. 

I have a Android Smartphone with infrared. I downloaded AnyMote on my smartphone. I selectet "LG service Remote" which has a separate key named EZ-ADJUST. The Password was 0413 for my TV.

(I had to enable "Use Alternate IR Commands" under settings for my phone.)

11 hours ago, td47 said:

@T0BlAS FYI: there may be another setting section for actual country or region coding. Those other numbers may be "subordinate" to the "region" (say Europe, Asia etc), and country codes. Make a note of them before you change them as the TV could become inoperative.

I found this in a related forum, but was from 2015, so later TV models may well have a totally different setup or menu options. The country code for UK appears to be 3122.

The country code for my TV bought in Italy is also 3122. So it is possible 3122 means EU and not just UK.

@T0BlAS I tried every options, even what @td47 suggested, but changing the location settings does not enable usb recording. I would try changing the number in tool_opt6 but I couldn't find any lists of code numbers to type in there.

@Selvin Fúnez you can enter the menu by downloading AnyMote Smart Remote on your mobile phone, then press EZ-Adjust key, type 0413 as password and you're in. Can you please post a picture of your settings under tool_opt6 so I can try to copy it? Thank you!

• Like 1

Hallo, I bought a 55un74006LB smart tv in Italy. It seems not to have usb recording capabilities, according to the information on the italian website, but the UK site declare it has. I think it's the same product with the same functions, so how can I turn the live tv and usb recording on? 

@Hblone and others watching this. It seems that for those countries where LG has not paid the DVR/Recording tax, they have gone to great lengths to stop this functionality, and even if you use the special tool menus to get into special settings, if you get these wrong, you can render the TV useless for Live TV if you get the tuner fequency ranges messed up, and cannot get them back to your proper settings. In any event, even if you DO manage to get Recording capability active, the Premium apps will still NOT allow recording (notably Netflix, for obvious DRM/Copyright reasons).

You best solution, is to find a set-top-box, or external DVR that is designed to work in your country, and pay for any premium or channel pack contents you need. I hear that the FETCH Mighty box is very good. However, I am not sure if there are any limitations in some countries. You CAN get an Italian "channel pack" though:

Hi everybody, thanks to @ponello I could turn the DVR function on, typing in this code in the service menu: 

ToolOPT6_Energy/Country (541847305)

Then I had to change the country to one where the function is allowed, I chose Estonia 'cause they have a channel list compatible with Italy. 

The only issue now is that Bluetooth is inactive, so my magic remote doesn't work anymore. I couldn't find the option to turn it on. Any ideas?

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 1:08 PM, Hblone said:

Hi everybody, thanks to @ponello I could turn the DVR function on, typing in this code in the service menu: 

ToolOPT6_Energy/Country (541847305)

Then I had to change the country to one where the function is allowed, I chose Estonia 'cause they have a channel list compatible with Italy. 

The only issue now is that Bluetooth is inactive, so my magic remote doesn't work anymore. I couldn't find the option to turn it on. Any ideas?

Hello, glad it worked !!

Maybe I also found how to reconnect your remote. You can try folowing this video. At minute 3:45 shows to push two buttons on remote for reconnecting- Let us know please.

Unfortunately the magic remote does not work anymore in its pointing function, probably something happened to the motion engine, because it pairs regularly, but the pointer doesn't move anymore. I also switched the TV back to the previous original settings, I found a remote test screen on the service menu and it says that the remote work properly but the motion engine is not present (in the TV for what I can understand), but it worked before I changed the code.
I'm going to ask to LG service how to have it work again and I'll let you know.

20 minutes ago, Hblone said:

Unfortunately the magic remote does not work anymore in its pointing function, probably something happened to the motion engine, because it pairs regularly, but the pointer doesn't move anymore. I also switched the TV back to the previous original settings, I found a remote test screen on the service menu and it says that the remote work properly but the motion engine is not present (in the TV for what I can understand), but it worked before I changed the code.
I'm going to ask to LG service how to have it work again and I'll let you know.

Have you already tried a factory reset?

On 10/18/2020 at 2:15 AM, td47 said:

"I have LG 60UB850T purchased and using it in Dubai. Managed to change location using LG Service Menu Explorer app for Android downloaded from Google Playstore and installed on my Samsung 10.1 Tablet.
With TV on, run the app and select Infra-red as means of connection.
App opens to look like remote control.
Press button which looks like a 'red Wand' icon on right hand side.
You are asked to enter one of two codes, mine was 0413.
You are now presented with EX-ADJ menu, scroll down to 'Area Settings' using the down arrows and press enter.
Change the top line 4 digit to the code of your choice. 3122 for UK, 1793 for US etc.
Press 'red wand' until service menu closes and just have TV, reboot the TV (turn off then on). WEBOS should reload.
Go to TV settings menu and select Location, your selected continent should be selected all you have to do is select country of service."

Hello, i bought a 75UN7070 LG TV and at the location menu it only shows Canada, Mexico, US, others. TV was purchased at US military base in Greece. There are multiple free local apps similar to netflix available in LG content store in Greece that i would like to download but because the area/location is different they are not available.

If i enter service menu and navigate to area settings, changing it to 3122 will show them? Will 3122 work?

thank you

LG 75" Class 4K UHD 2160p LED Smart TV With HDR 75UM6970PUB how do I setup USB recording I have a USB 1tb hard drive the remotes both have record button on them and the WebTV has a record section but I don't know how to activate it I was reading other Post everyone takes about the 3rd USB but my tv only has 2 USBs so I have no idea how to activate it can you please help me you can send me emails or texts to my phone 8145900122

Thanks

Yes, the problem got solved by itself with the next software update.  I believe that when I changed the toolopt6 code the first time, I used a code that turned off bluetooth functions and so it deleted the magic remote motion engine software, When I changed the code again to the one with bluetooth on, the magic remote paired with the tv again, but didn't work because there was no motion engine installed. When the tv downloaded and installed the firmware update it installed also the motion engine software, so everything started to work properly again and the pvr and live tv function are active.

What I suggest is to select a toolopt6 code of the same class of your original one (I mean the first digits of the code) and to check on the screenshot if the functions are turned on/off  in a way that's compatible with your tv before changing it

Well Stuff,

I am in the US and trying to enable the DVR on a LG C1. I just get mad that so many of us have purchased a fully capable TV and its locked down for some reason or another.  I have confirmed that US and Canada do not allow DVR recording. The Mexico version does. So my thought process was to use area codes from Mexico. Does anyone have those? 

From reading around and playing on my TV I am leaning toward thinking that 3 things need to change in order for us to enable DVR recording here in the US.

1. Area code.

2. Toolopt6 needs changed.

3. There was an option (sorry cant remember where it is) that was greyed out and "enable USB recording)

I think if we can figure these 3 settings out we will be able to record live TV.

So far I am been able to change the ToolOPT6 codes and nothing has worked. I did notice that as you change the setting within the ToolOPT setting the number above changed. There has got to be a service manual or reference out there that can explain these numbers in a more useable/ less likely to ruin your TV kind of way.

If any one has any info please feel free to share it.

3 hours ago, Mc Guy said:

Well Stuff,

I am in the US and trying to enable the DVR on a LG C1. I just get mad that so many of us have purchased a fully capable TV and its locked down for some reason or another.  I have confirmed that US and Canada do not allow DVR recording. The Mexico version does. So my thought process was to use area codes from Mexico. Does anyone have those? 

From reading around and playing on my TV I am leaning toward thinking that 3 things need to change in order for us to enable DVR recording here in the US.

1. Area code.

2. Toolopt6 needs changed.

3. There was an option (sorry cant remember where it is) that was greyed out and "enable USB recording)

I think if we can figure these 3 settings out we will be able to record live TV.

So far I am been able to change the ToolOPT6 codes and nothing has worked. I did notice that as you change the setting within the ToolOPT setting the number above changed. There has got to be a service manual or reference out there that can explain these numbers in a more useable/ less likely to ruin your TV kind of way.

If any one has any info please feel free to share it.

Hi, the option you refer to at no.3 is DVR READY under toolopt6 menu. You need to find a toolopt6 code that enables that option, but make sure that all the other options are compatible with your tv, better if you find a screenshot of the toolopt6 menu to check it before typing in the new code. As I wrote in a previous post I would suggest you to select a toolopt6 code of the same class of your original code (take a picture of it in case you need to roll back to it). 

After you get DVR READY turned on, you have to select a country where USB recording and live tv are available, if in your country they aren't, otherwise it will still not work. The issue you will face is that tv channels may be set in the wrong order. For example I could select Estonia, which provides the same channel list of Italy, so I completely solved the problem. 

Hope it will help you