Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Hblone

Enabling usb recording and live tv

Question

Hallo, I bought a 55un74006LB smart tv in Italy. It seems not to have usb recording capabilities, according to the information on the italian website, but the UK site declare it has. I think it's the same product with the same functions, so how can I turn the live tv and usb recording on? I think I found the options in the service menu but I cannot change the values. Any suggestion?

11 answers to this question

@Hblone 

I see from the spec here:

link hidden, please login to view

that it shows "Time Machine (DVR)  YES" so the recording functionality IS there, but it will need a small self-powered HDD (external backup type of hard disk) plugged into the USB3 socket to activate the recording functionality that the TV has. NOTE: the new disk when added, may trigger a recording "setup" automatically anyway, so be aware that it may well want to format it to the TV requirements (file structures, folder names etc), that may take a few minutes. Use Velcro or a cable tie to hold the external disk in a convenient place, so that it does not strain the connection cable (NEVER let it hang from the cable). I would use about 500GB or a 1TB HDD drive, depending on the amount of recordings you want to do, and if HD quality or not. 

ALSO: be aware that even when in standby, the TV will still have enough "smart electronic logic" active to do the scheduled recordings on its own, it does NOT need to be in the ON state, BUT DO NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE WALL SOCKET OBVIOUSLY! 😊

If you have a smart remote, you might find the "Q.MENU" button, or one button marked "123" to get to your settings. If you had a separate manual for your remote or TV, have a good read to see if it helps with the recording side. It MIGHT be the "settings" cog button on yours, I am not sure.

I find the Time Machine scheduling a bit clunky and non-intelligent on my older LG, but you may find your later one is smarter? A typical issue is that (unlike a set-top-box like Sky) it will not necessarrily "track" any time changes to a scheduled program if it starts late. If you adjust it to start at an earlier time, then the "File/program name" will reflect the PREVIOUS program title, and NOT the actual one that is the main recorded program!!

I know that the smart remotes have a good voice command function, so press the button to activate the microphone and try saying "time machine". I find the voice command useful to get to "settings" with my older magic remote, as I can never remember how to get to it on my TV otherwise... 😊

By the way, I find that Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate portable USB3 drives are good for this, use this Google search term to see what is available in your area:

"site:.uk Western Digital portable drive" or "site:.uk seagate portable drive" without the quotes. The site thing limits sites to your country/area/locale so avoids generic ".COM" sites usually.

@td47 @td47 thank you for your answer. I do have an older lg smart tv and I use Time Machine and DVR on it. About this new one, I know the UK model has the functionalty there, but on the Italian website 

they say it doesn't, and if I plug the hdd in and try to record I get a 'function not available' message. I guess it's the same device with the same capabilities and I guess that the function is switched off by software on the Italian model. How can I turn it on?

20 hours ago, td47 said:

@Hblone 

I see from the spec here:

that it shows "Time Machine (DVR)  YES" so the recording functionality IS there, but it will need a small self-powered HDD (external backup type of hard disk) plugged into the USB3 socket to activate the recording functionality that the TV has. NOTE: the new disk when added, may trigger a recording "setup" automatically anyway, so be aware that it may well want to format it to the TV requirements (file structures, folder names etc), that may take a few minutes. Use Velcro or a cable tie to hold the external disk in a convenient place, so that it does not strain the connection cable (NEVER let it hang from the cable). I would use about 500GB or a 1TB HDD drive, depending on the amount of recordings you want to do, and if HD quality or not. 

ALSO: be aware that even when in standby, the TV will still have enough "smart electronic logic" active to do the scheduled recordings on its own, it does NOT need to be in the ON state, BUT DO NOT TURN IT OFF AT THE WALL SOCKET OBVIOUSLY! 😊

If you have a smart remote, you might find the "Q.MENU" button, or one button marked "123" to get to your settings. If you had a separate manual for your remote or TV, have a good read to see if it helps with the recording side. It MIGHT be the "settings" cog button on yours, I am not sure.

I find the Time Machine scheduling a bit clunky and non-intelligent on my older LG, but you may find your later one is smarter? A typical issue is that (unlike a set-top-box like Sky) it will not necessarrily "track" any time changes to a scheduled program if it starts late. If you adjust it to start at an earlier time, then the "File/program name" will reflect the PREVIOUS program title, and NOT the actual one that is the main recorded program!!

I know that the smart remotes have a good voice command function, so press the button to activate the microphone and try saying "time machine". I find the voice command useful to get to "settings" with my older magic remote, as I can never remember how to get to it on my TV otherwise... 😊

By the way, I find that Toshiba, Western Digital, or Seagate portable USB3 drives are good for this, use this Google search term to see what is available in your area:

"site:.uk Western Digital portable drive" or "site:.uk seagate portable drive" without the quotes. The site thing limits sites to your country/area/locale so avoids generic ".COM" sites usually.

@Hblone Apologies I did not notice that your locaton was Italy, and your problem is with a recently purchased Italian variant LG TV.

It does seem odd that older model has a working Time Machine functionality, but the newer model would have a restriction (maybe due to cost, or difficulties with current copyright laws in Italy).

Have you tried contacing the shop where it was purchased from, or LG Italy directly, for comment? This forum is NOT an official arm of LG (they might look at it if we are lucky, but I don't think they officially comment here directly).

Edited by td47
typo

Hello,

I have the same Problem with the LG UN7300 from italy. The reason for this is, that LG doesn't pay the italian tax for recording devices (SIAE), which also includes TV with DVR/PVR.

I went in the EZ-ADJUST menu and found the DVR Ready function under "ToolOPT6_Energy/Country".

image.thumb.jpeg.69877ee0d0d53dd2982219a54e065cfa.jpeg

It's greyed out so it's not possible to turn it on.

Would it be possible to change the number of "ToolOPT6_Energy/Country" to a number for a country where USB Recording is available? Is someone here with an LG UN7300 and working Recording who can share this number?

• Like 1

@T0BlAS FYI: there may be another setting section for actual country or region coding. Those other numbers may be "subordinate" to the "region" (say Europe, Asia etc), and country codes. Make a note of them before you change them as the TV could become inoperative.

I found this in a related forum, but was from 2015, so later TV models may well have a totally different setup or menu options. The country code for UK appears to be 3122.

"I have LG 60UB850T purchased and using it in Dubai. Managed to change location using LG Service Menu Explorer app for Android downloaded from Google Playstore and installed on my Samsung 10.1 Tablet.
With TV on, run the app and select Infra-red as means of connection.
App opens to look like remote control.
Press button which looks like a 'red Wand' icon on right hand side.
You are asked to enter one of two codes, mine was 0413.
You are now presented with EX-ADJ menu, scroll down to 'Area Settings' using the down arrows and press enter.
Change the top line 4 digit to the code of your choice. 3122 for UK, 1793 for US etc.
Press 'red wand' until service menu closes and just have TV, reboot the TV (turn off then on). WEBOS should reload.
Go to TV settings menu and select Location, your selected continent should be selected all you have to do is select country of service."

12 hours ago, Selvin Fúnez said:

Hello.

I have an LG UN7300 with USB recording enabled in Honduras, just tell me how to get there and I'll share the code. 

I have a Android Smartphone with infrared. I downloaded AnyMote on my smartphone. I selectet "LG service Remote" which has a separate key named EZ-ADJUST. The Password was 0413 for my TV.

(I had to enable "Use Alternate IR Commands" under settings for my phone.)

11 hours ago, td47 said:

@T0BlAS FYI: there may be another setting section for actual country or region coding. Those other numbers may be "subordinate" to the "region" (say Europe, Asia etc), and country codes. Make a note of them before you change them as the TV could become inoperative.

I found this in a related forum, but was from 2015, so later TV models may well have a totally different setup or menu options. The country code for UK appears to be 3122.

The country code for my TV bought in Italy is also 3122. So it is possible 3122 means EU and not just UK.

@T0BlAS I tried every options, even what @td47 suggested, but changing the location settings does not enable usb recording. I would try changing the number in tool_opt6 but I couldn't find any lists of code numbers to type in there.

@Selvin Fúnez you can enter the menu by downloading AnyMote Smart Remote on your mobile phone, then press EZ-Adjust key, type 0413 as password and you're in. Can you please post a picture of your settings under tool_opt6 so I can try to copy it? Thank you!

• Like 1