Quantcast

Hello!

My parents' LG webOS TV had this issue where their Magic Remote has gone insane and every button thinks it is the mute button.

I have tried changing the batteries to brand new ones, letting it fully "de-charge" for 10 minutes, de-pairing it, etc. accordingly to the troubleshooting guide. Not even the power button blinks as it should. Oddly enough, the motion cursor works fine.

I have attached a video to show how it looks.

Any suggestions to fix this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try physically turning off the TV by pulling the power cord to the TV, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and start the TV again.

If this fixes the problem initially with the remote control, then go to Settings / Picture / Energy Saving and make sure this is turned OFF.

I had similar problems with my remote control which would bog down and become unresponsive, until I changed this setting.  

22 minutes ago, Noel Walker said:

Try physically turning off the TV by pulling the power cord to the TV, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and start the TV again.

If this fixes the problem initially with the remote control, then go to Settings / Picture / Energy Saving and make sure this is turned OFF.

I had similar problems with my remote control which would bog down and become unresponsive, until I changed this setting.  

Hey! Thank you for the response.

I unplugged the TV for 10 minutes and after plugging it back I couldn't turn it on with the Magic Remote, had to do it with an external remote. The behavior of the Magic Remote is still the same as the video I posted above. Issue still goes on. 😞

First, I would check for any stuck buttons on the remote itself, and look for any evidence of anything spilled on it, or in it, and check if anything feels sticky in between or near any of the buttons. If there IS anything sticky etc, (or if any of the keys stay down) remove the batteries, and use a mild solvent like Isopropyl Alcohol around and between the buttons (cotton buds can be used for this), until they feel better/free-er. Check the operation of EACH button to ensure none feels as if it is sticky or staying depressed, repeat the solvent if yes.  Allow to dry in the open for 30 minutes, re-check the feel of the keys, if OK, put the batteries back in and try it again.

Edited by td47
clarification
6 hours ago, td47 said:

First, I would check for any stuck buttons on the remote itself, and look for any evidence of anything spilled on it, or in it, and check if anything feels sticky in between or near any of the buttons. If there IS anything sticky etc, (or if any of the keys stay down) remove the batteries, and use a mild solvent like Isopropyl Alcohol around and between the buttons (cotton buds can be used for this), until they feel better/free-er. Check the operation of EACH button to ensure none feels as if it is sticky or staying depressed, repeat the solvent if yes.  Allow to dry in the open for 30 minutes, re-check the feel of the keys, if OK, put the batteries back in and try it again.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I just went to the controller and tested every single button. Each one feels exactly the same, they all make the same "click" noise and none of them feel jammed or sticky. So I don't know...

OK, you have eliminated the keys (maybe), so the keys use Infra-Red, the "blob" pointer uses BlueTooth. It might be just "broken" electronics in the remote, so needs a replacement.

Interference IS a possibility, but rare, so check if yous folks use any Infra-Red "remote extender" devices for any other stuff (hifi, amps, dvd-players, set-top-box etc). Check if any OTHER remotes are near the TV (say stuck down a sofa with a button continually pressed). BLUETOOTH - check if there is a device (bluetooth speakers, notebook/laptop book reader) that might have a dodgy set-up. Turn them off if you can, or remove them to another room, and retest.  My gut-feel is that the remote is just electronically faulty inside though.

Edited by td47
typo

Hi, I forgot to ask an obvious question: has there been any evidence of leaking batteries left in the remote? It is a common occurrence, and if run-down batteries are left in any device like this, the leaking chemicals can play havoc with the printed circuit tracks and components inside them. They are often alkaline, and can cause bad corrosion that can lead to partial shorts (low resistance paths) for signals to go to the wrong place, and can seep into the press-button contacts too. Look out for what looks like a "green rust"  around the battery contacts in the remote (if you can see any of the circuit tracks, check those too). Bad corrosion often leaves things like remotes, calculators, toys etc. irreparable, but if you have caught it quickly enough, you MIGHT be able to salvage it, IF you know how to take the case apart (defeating the snap-in latches of the two halves can be a pain), AND you know about removing corrosion from PCB tracks and components. You might get lucky if it is only the button contact pads gone bad, try wiping with Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton-buds.

Edited by td47
Typo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Rahulendra Bhaskar
      Dear LG Team,
      I would like to know is there any possibility to get latest entertainment app like Disney++Hotstar, ZEE5, Voot etc. for the LG web OS 2.0 models?
      My TV Model is 42LF6500.
      Positive reply expected in this regard, because I am dedicated and valuable customer of LG brand.
      Thanks in advance.
    • By News Reporter
      Today’s brands are more challenged than ever as they try to find the perfect message for a demanding audience. LG is taking on this challenge with a new campaign that introduces audiences to the unique characteristics of OLED technology through LG’s next-generation OLED and LG OLED evo (model G1) TVs. With a and four accompanying online videos, LG’s latest campaign, Light Up Your World, uses imagery and themes that resonate with its core audience to highlight the memorable, emotionally impactful user experience that is possible with LG OLED and its self-lit pixels.

The title, Light Up Your World, is a nod to the self-emissive pixels unique to OLED technology which delivers superbly lifelike and nuanced images by virtue of its inherent characteristics and individual pixel-level control. The title also communicates the message that LG OLED TV not only offers a next-level viewing experience but also delivers light and joy into our daily lives.
      The main video of the campaign shows a woman following a hypnotic, floating point of light, much like Alice in Wonderland and the White Rabbit. On route to her unknown destination, she sees different objects that light up and lead her on a magical expedition before eventually arriving back home to her sofa and LG OLED TV after having experienced a world of breathtaking images, including a self-lit tree with luminescent leaves representing the light-emitting pixels of LG OLED technology.

Four additional videos make up the full Light Up Your World collection. Each of the videos correspond to different aspects of LG’s “4S” keywords as it relates to LG OLED TV: Sharp, Swift, Smooth and Slim.
      Light the Story Up highlights the sharp picture quality and immersive cinematic experience offered by LG OLED. With millions of self-lit pixels, LG OLED TVs produce rich, sharp details and perfect blacks to make even the darkest of scenes come alive. And with even more brightness, the LG OLED evo panel delivers punchier images with improved clarity, transporting viewers into their favorite scenes, making them part of the action.

In Light the Play Up, LG OLED TVs are shown their capability for fast gaming action via speedy response time and immersive big-screen experience. Thanks to blazing fast performance, gamer-centric features and support for the latest HDMI specifications and NVIDIA G-Sync, LG OLED evo guarantees stutter- and tear-free gameplay that gives gamers that performance edge to become the champions they were meant to be.

The episode Light the Game Up highlights the incomparably smooth and natural motion of OLED, demonstrating how LG’s OLED Motion technology makes the fast-paced movements in exhilarating sporting events and action sequences smooth, clear and easy to follow. With LG OLED, those viewing at home will feel less like fans and more like one of their favorite superstars as the TV reveals the spin of the ball, droplet of sweat and blades of grass with absolute clarity.

Lastly, Light the Space Up focuses on OLED’s slim design and its ability to help customers create a truly inspiring space in their home. LG’s Gallery Design unlocks a new world of TV aesthetics, featuring minimalist bezels and an impossibly slim profile that wouldn’t look out of place in an art gallery or museum. The design allows anyone to be an artist, free to curate his or her space exactly as imagined.

The campaign also touches on topics important to every consumer: health and environment. LG is addressing consumers’ concerns and striving to make a better future for the planet. Its efforts in both areas are explored in videos soon available to view on LG’s official online channels.
      LG’s new campaign communicates the rewarding, personal viewing experiences that come with LG OLED and illustrates how the TVs’ self-lit pixels can light up any scenario with the most dynamic picture quality around. The global campaign signals a new direction for LG OLED storytelling at a time when its star is shining the brightest.
      And the story doesn’t end there…
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view
    • By Adam Broda
      Hello
      I have 42B670V-ZA tv bought in 2014. This model has different numbers/letters depending from the distribution area. Mine is for Poland.
      Software version is 05.05.70,
      WebOS version is 1.4.0-2532 afro-ashley. This model was made with the intention of upgrading to WebOS 2 and so it was manufactured. In late 2014, once the tv was still on market, European and US (with a different name), LG Korea has announced that this model would not have upgrade. Nevertheless I think it STILL IS a way to make it higher or at least faster, as it was on a very beginning. Now it coughs after using 45 mins on Netflix or 30 mins on WWW app when watching film online. When instslling new app, it shows such data:
      Version of the app i.e. 1.1.1
      Date of last update of the app i.e. 20.04.2015
      Size of the app i.e. 105 KB
      Rating i.e. "everything" (???)
      Internal memory i.e. 850MB/973MB
      And this INTERNAL MEMORY REMAINS THE SAME 850MB
      Does anybody know, how to do this either using
      service mode or 
      Installing some software from a memory card
      or in any other way? The problem is that the tv has not enough memory to operate apps. I cannot release the memory without loosing my settings. I live in Warsaw, Poland, but I have additional apps like HULU and Amazon Prime US which enables me watching US content (I pay for them in USD).
      Uninstalling other useless apps didnt work. Now I have only system apps and 3 more like Netflix, HULU and Amazon. I cannot even install anything more. LG support told me to return to factory settings which wipes all memory out. I dont want to return to WebOS 1.0. I just want my tv to work faster BACK AGAIN and maybe to use some other apps which cannot be installed due to insufficient space on card/disc and to install some apps that are compatible with WebOS 2. (Now they are not apperaing neither in Polish LG store nor in US store, once I change the region to US/CANADA/MEXICO.
      Thanks in advance!!!

• By alizadeh
      Hi, 

I was tying to change the settings on our LG TV to enable it for HD channel reception. We found instructions on the net to configure the "area option" in the hidden menu, however, they did not work. So, we thought that we need to change the country group to be able to receive the HD channels. Although we could not change the "country group code" from 20 to an arbitrary number, we change it to 10. After that, we have not been able to change it anymore. It is struck there. I know this is ridiculous, but an LG TV expert who is working in LG customer services told us that I could not change it either and we need to replace the IC. I shocked why with a simple change in one of the TV parameters, everything is got complicated. 

In details, here is the picture of the parameters currently set on the LG TV with the model number of 49LH549V-TD: 

Please tell me why I could not set the "country group code" to 20 once again? It is gray meaning that is unchangeable. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Best regards 
      Alizadeh 

• By Huig
      I have updated my tv this with software version 06.00.15.
      When I put on the tv then after 3 seconds everytime the list box  (with the apps) apears automatically. Then after 3 seconds it disapear again.
      Before the update it wasn't a isue.
      I have model 49UJ701V
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mh6081
      Hi, Not sure if in the right place or if this has been asked before. I have a subscription to the BT Sport App as an add on through my EE Mobile Phone package. I have watched the BT Sport through the web browser for a few months now relatively ok (lagging issues aside), however when I try to now watch anything on BT Sport, the video will not play and the message 'Sorry this video is not available on your browser. Please try again on a supported browser.  Error Code VC088 appears which I have tried researching but nothing seems to work.

Why has it stopped working when it was working previously if anyone has any idea

Thanks
    • By Kasun Ekanayake
      I’m an owner of OLED55C8PJA. It’s an OLED SMART THINQ TV. I have spent lots of money in this. Anyway, I can’t see Sinhala Subtitles whenever I’m watching movies using this TV. But it supports Sinhala language. It even has menu language and keyboard language in “Sinhala”. But Srt Subtitle files that has Sinhala language cannot see.I have tried to set to encoding to UTF-8 also. But no luck!
      hope you will know solution for me.
      Thanks
    • By NikD63
      Is it possible to program the 4 color button on the Magic Remote? For example, I would like them to switch to apps like YouTube TV, Vudu, etc.? My remote has 2 buttons just above the color buttons which are pre-programmed for Netflix and Amazon. I want to use the color buttons for other apps. Anyone done this?

• By BataviaDan
      I have webOS TV UH6100, software 04.31.10. 

Sometime in the last week something happened that caused my date, time, and location to be wonky.  I can't set them, and automate detect isn't working.  Same with allow automatic updates.  It says "may take a few seconds" but i've waited 15 minutes to 30 minutes with nothing happening.  Network connection is good - it is able to connect (according to the software).
      I've tried reset factory settings to no avail, because it says the tv will now restart - i get the spinning circle of dots - but it never restarts.  When I turn the tv off and back on, it's still in the same state.
      None of the apps will go anywhere either.
      Any ideas?  Thanks for your help in advance