Quantcast

LG webOS Magic Remote Not Working Properly

Hello!

My parents' LG webOS TV had this issue where their Magic Remote has gone insane and every button thinks it is the mute button.

I have tried changing the batteries to brand new ones, letting it fully "de-charge" for 10 minutes, de-pairing it, etc. accordingly to the troubleshooting guide. Not even the power button blinks as it should. Oddly enough, the motion cursor works fine.

I have attached a video to show how it looks.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Try physically turning off the TV by pulling the power cord to the TV, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and start the TV again.

If this fixes the problem initially with the remote control, then go to Settings / Picture / Energy Saving and make sure this is turned OFF.

I had similar problems with my remote control which would bog down and become unresponsive, until I changed this setting.  

22 minutes ago, Noel Walker said:

Try physically turning off the TV by pulling the power cord to the TV, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in and start the TV again.

If this fixes the problem initially with the remote control, then go to Settings / Picture / Energy Saving and make sure this is turned OFF.

I had similar problems with my remote control which would bog down and become unresponsive, until I changed this setting.  

Hey! Thank you for the response.

I unplugged the TV for 10 minutes and after plugging it back I couldn't turn it on with the Magic Remote, had to do it with an external remote. The behavior of the Magic Remote is still the same as the video I posted above. Issue still goes on. 😞

First, I would check for any stuck buttons on the remote itself, and look for any evidence of anything spilled on it, or in it, and check if anything feels sticky in between or near any of the buttons. If there IS anything sticky etc, (or if any of the keys stay down) remove the batteries, and use a mild solvent like Isopropyl Alcohol around and between the buttons (cotton buds can be used for this), until they feel better/free-er. Check the operation of EACH button to ensure none feels as if it is sticky or staying depressed, repeat the solvent if yes.  Allow to dry in the open for 30 minutes, re-check the feel of the keys, if OK, put the batteries back in and try it again.

Edited by td47
clarification

6 hours ago, td47 said:

First, I would check for any stuck buttons on the remote itself, and look for any evidence of anything spilled on it, or in it, and check if anything feels sticky in between or near any of the buttons. If there IS anything sticky etc, (or if any of the keys stay down) remove the batteries, and use a mild solvent like Isopropyl Alcohol around and between the buttons (cotton buds can be used for this), until they feel better/free-er. Check the operation of EACH button to ensure none feels as if it is sticky or staying depressed, repeat the solvent if yes.  Allow to dry in the open for 30 minutes, re-check the feel of the keys, if OK, put the batteries back in and try it again.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I just went to the controller and tested every single button. Each one feels exactly the same, they all make the same "click" noise and none of them feel jammed or sticky. So I don't know...

OK, you have eliminated the keys (maybe), so the keys use Infra-Red, the "blob" pointer uses BlueTooth. It might be just "broken" electronics in the remote, so needs a replacement.

Interference IS a possibility, but rare, so check if yous folks use any Infra-Red "remote extender" devices for any other stuff (hifi, amps, dvd-players, set-top-box etc). Check if any OTHER remotes are near the TV (say stuck down a sofa with a button continually pressed). BLUETOOTH - check if there is a device (bluetooth speakers, notebook/laptop book reader) that might have a dodgy set-up. Turn them off if you can, or remove them to another room, and retest.  My gut-feel is that the remote is just electronically faulty inside though.

Edited by td47
typo

Hi, I forgot to ask an obvious question: has there been any evidence of leaking batteries left in the remote? It is a common occurrence, and if run-down batteries are left in any device like this, the leaking chemicals can play havoc with the printed circuit tracks and components inside them. They are often alkaline, and can cause bad corrosion that can lead to partial shorts (low resistance paths) for signals to go to the wrong place, and can seep into the press-button contacts too. Look out for what looks like a "green rust"  around the battery contacts in the remote (if you can see any of the circuit tracks, check those too). Bad corrosion often leaves things like remotes, calculators, toys etc. irreparable, but if you have caught it quickly enough, you MIGHT be able to salvage it, IF you know how to take the case apart (defeating the snap-in latches of the two halves can be a pain), AND you know about removing corrosion from PCB tracks and components. You might get lucky if it is only the button contact pads gone bad, try wiping with Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton-buds.

Edited by td47
Typo