Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Hastor

No surround sound from Disney+?

Question

I use my LG set to watch Netflix and Amazon in DD 5.1 sound sound just fine. Disney+ is only giving me DD stereo. What gives? I'm looking but can't find the setting. I get DolbyVision but as far as sound, only getting stereo. I output to my receiver over ARC. How do I get surround?

• Sad 1

12 answers to this question

same problem here with no DD5.1 from optical out from LGB8 OLED. All other apps this works flawlessly. I get DD5.1 from my PS4 but not in 4K as I don't have a PS4 Pro. Also disappointing is the Magic Remote doesn't work like it does for every other app. 

• Like 1

The magic remote didn't work in Hulu until a few months ago. However when it didn't, Hulu disabled it. Disney+ oddly leaves it enabled so you can bring up the cursor but it does nothing.

I can live with that until after they add proper sound though.

Its not you, its them: no 4K picture and no 5.1 audio for some LG sets I'm afraid.  I'm waiting 6 days for a response from Disney on the issue - you can't even email them anymore.  Good luck getting them on the phone or chat. 

That has absolutely nothing to do with what we've been talking about. Our ARC channels are fine and output surround sound, just not when using Disney+. But then you'd know that if you even read the topic of this thread.

That could be As the Xbox one and one s use a Dolby Vision standard that is not compatible with my 2016 OLED. But my Apple TV 4K outputs Dolby Vision at 60hz and Dolby surround 5.1 just fine in Disney + as I tested it last night. So I am giving up on the app on the tv for now and switching to the Apple TV for my D+ use. 

@brian_ehv so you've got Disney+ outputting 5.1 from an LG WebOs tv? I haven't seen anyone confirm it, and it wouldn't be the first app to add surround later. Others such as Netflix do support DD 5.1+ but use regular DD for my ARC channel.

I have yet to see anyone say 'it works for me' as far as surround sound. If so, I'd like a screenshot of an LG showing the 5.1 tag by a title. I don't think this is any hardware limitations, it's that they haven't added it to the app yet.

If it works for you I'd like to know what model you're using, otherwise it's just a guess when the fact it works for no one simply means the most likely cause is lack of support in the app.

Ref: Disney+ audio in stereo only on LG OLEDs… fiber optic from TV to surround processor receives stereo only using LG Store’s Disney+ app.  I have Netflix and it shares the same signal path to my surround processor and does receive 5.1 channel surround (both DTS and Dolby Digital) from Netflix; that rules out that I’m not capable of receiving multi-channel.  I know I cannot get DTS-MA nor TrueHD +Atmos due to limitations of the fiber optic (Toslink) connection, but Core DTS and AC3 (TrueHD’s Core) is much better than stereo matrixed to pseudo surround (Pro-logic).

We are asking that LG’s Disney+ app be revised to allow full surround sound from the LG Smart TV’s optical port (as Netflix, Plex does; re: those I’ve tried).  Note that youTube outputs only stereo via LG TV’s optical port as well…  incase Disney+/LG is using youTube as a model.

I should not have to output audio via HDMI from TV to surround processor; if LG’s TV did not have a digital out (fiber-optic or coaxial) other than HDMI, I would not have this TV.  When the LG TV Disney+ application is reworked (priority soon we hope), ensure the optical TV port is included (along with HDMI ARC) with full discrete 5.1 surround solution.

I am contemplating cancelling the Disney+ subscription (still in trial period) which is a shame because the visuals are excellent; but the audio is no better than FM radio.

-Kele

If Netflix and others can do it, so can Disney. It's easy to extract DD from DD+ anyway.

By the way there was an update for me today though I don't launch it every day, using my Xbox for surround and HDR usually. The update got my hopes up but still no surround. Must have just been bug fixes 

I am also having the same issue. Just noticed this last night watching Avengers and was pretty upset. Must be an app limitation and hopefully will be addressed with an update later as there is no setting anywhere that changes this. As you stated Netflix works fine with 5.1 so this is an app specific issue. 😕

i had a similiar issue while playing  sound through HDMI ARC.

Below  notes might help you guys.

hi, Friends,

i have finally fixed the HDMI ARC issue.
Apparently some people also had the same issue and couldnt figure out whats wrong.
After reading through AVSForums, I finally understood that LG had a bug in HDMI operation as well..

The problem happens when your TV is already sending sound through HDMI ARC to a AVR and you try to connect additional sources like dth or blueray player to additional HDMI ports of TV and AVR. Once you add additional sources, you might try to use LG's device connector setting to control the device and this is where HDMI ARC stops working.

Solution:
disconnect all hdmi ports of TV and AVR.
Full reset TV and AVR.
Only Connect HDMI ARC port of TV with HDMI ARC OUT of AVR. Enable ARC feature on both TV and AVR. Open LG TV internal app,
and check if sound is coming properly to AVR.
Now you Connect All additional sources to other HDMI ports of TV and nothing should be connected to AVR.
You may use LG device connector setting to configure the magic remote to control them.

MY current setup of TV:
HDMI 1: Airtel DTH.
HDMI 2: ARC connected to Denon AVR 1500H.
HDMI 3: ACT Television(Using this to play hotstar premium content as LG inbuilt APP is not playing it)

Good news:
LG magic remote can control all 3 devices seamlessly and thats a great ease for customers.
I shall appreciate LG for this.