Quantcast

No surround sound from Disney+?

Hastor

Question

26 answers to this question

That could be As the Xbox one and one s use a Dolby Vision standard that is not compatible with my 2016 OLED. But my Apple TV 4K outputs Dolby Vision at 60hz and Dolby surround 5.1 just fine in Disney + as I tested it last night. So I am giving up on the app on the tv for now and switching to the Apple TV for my D+ use. 

@brian_ehv so you've got Disney+ outputting 5.1 from an LG WebOs tv? I haven't seen anyone confirm it, and it wouldn't be the first app to add surround later. Others such as Netflix do support DD 5.1+ but use regular DD for my ARC channel.

I have yet to see anyone say 'it works for me' as far as surround sound. If so, I'd like a screenshot of an LG showing the 5.1 tag by a title. I don't think this is any hardware limitations, it's that they haven't added it to the app yet.

If it works for you I'd like to know what model you're using, otherwise it's just a guess when the fact it works for no one simply means the most likely cause is lack of support in the app.

Ref: Disney+ audio in stereo only on LG OLEDs… fiber optic from TV to surround processor receives stereo only using LG Store’s Disney+ app.  I have Netflix and it shares the same signal path to my surround processor and does receive 5.1 channel surround (both DTS and Dolby Digital) from Netflix; that rules out that I’m not capable of receiving multi-channel.  I know I cannot get DTS-MA nor TrueHD +Atmos due to limitations of the fiber optic (Toslink) connection, but Core DTS and AC3 (TrueHD’s Core) is much better than stereo matrixed to pseudo surround (Pro-logic).

We are asking that LG’s Disney+ app be revised to allow full surround sound from the LG Smart TV’s optical port (as Netflix, Plex does; re: those I’ve tried).  Note that youTube outputs only stereo via LG TV’s optical port as well…  incase Disney+/LG is using youTube as a model.

I should not have to output audio via HDMI from TV to surround processor; if LG’s TV did not have a digital out (fiber-optic or coaxial) other than HDMI, I would not have this TV.  When the LG TV Disney+ application is reworked (priority soon we hope), ensure the optical TV port is included (along with HDMI ARC) with full discrete 5.1 surround solution.

I am contemplating cancelling the Disney+ subscription (still in trial period) which is a shame because the visuals are excellent; but the audio is no better than FM radio.

-Kele

If Netflix and others can do it, so can Disney. It's easy to extract DD from DD+ anyway.

By the way there was an update for me today though I don't launch it every day, using my Xbox for surround and HDR usually. The update got my hopes up but still no surround. Must have just been bug fixes 

On 11/19/2019 at 11:01 PM, brian_ehv said:

Probably Disney+ is using the newest audio format of DD+ and your audio system does not support this format. 

DD+ (aka E-AC3) has been around since 2008 and there have been no updates to the codec. All preamps/recievers built in the last 10+ years will support it. We have all got it down to the LG app not having these surround signals available for output. 

11 hours ago, CorzaMoon said:

Update: 5.1 started working today for me on the LG TV app.

5.1 shows coming up as Dolby Digital plus and Atmos is also working.

Yeah, one of the Disney+ engineers has been responding to my tweet about the 4K & 5.1 issues, and had said they were working on 5.1.  When I saw and verified 5.1 was available and working he confirmed they were rolling out the update.

The 4K issues people like me with 2016 sets they are still working on with LG, so that's good news they've acknowledged  and ate working on a resolution.

2 hours ago, TMOSteel said:

Yeah, one of the Disney+ engineers has been responding to my tweet about the 4K & 5.1 issues, and had said they were working on 5.1.  When I saw and verified 5.1 was available and working he confirmed they were rolling out the update.

The 4K issues people like me with 2016 sets they are still working on with LG, so that's good news they've acknowledged  and ate working on a resolution.

What is the 4k issue you have? I have a 2016 E6 that now also has 5.1 as of when I checked yesterday, but has always handled 4k and DolbyVision. Is there another issue or is your set model simply not showing the 4k option?

44 minutes ago, Hastor said:

What is the 4k issue you have? I have a 2016 E6 that now also has 5.1 as of when I checked yesterday, but has always handled 4k and DolbyVision. Is there another issue or is your set model simply not showing the 4k option?

Correct - LG 86UH9500 4K doesn't show as an option on any show (Mandalorian, Endgame, etc.) only HD, strangely Dolby Vision is and displays on when playing content.  Until the update only digital sound was shown, now of course it shows 5.1.  Other LG owners have posted about the lack of 4K on other models and they're not just limited to 2016, but in my case obviously Disney's is looking at the 2016 models.

I'm glad you got in touch with someone via Twitter. Sometimes it takes something like that. I once had an Onkyo receiver that didn't handle 23.97fps properly, causing a frame to be repeated every couple minutes. Despite a whole thread of complainers, they basically called us crazy and said no one had proven an issue they could replicate (even asked me for a video proving it like my phone can pick that up using a different refresh rate). I found a reviewer online that could prove it, copied them, found their Japanese division had confirmed the issue long ago, and had new beta firmware that fixed it in a week, which became official after that.

I also complained about the 5.1 a couple days ago via their site feedback on Disney+,  but didn't expect that to get much traction.

Thanks for helping to get this tracked down and changed. Good luck on the 4k, I'm sure they'll fix it eventually. Now I can quit using my Xbox for this, and enjoy DolbyVision instead of just HDR! I'd decided that HDR with surround was preferable to DolbyVision in stereo. Here's hoping season 2 of the Mandolorian actually uses brightness levels in the HDR/DV range!

I have signed up for Disney+ since 11/25/19 and used the Disney+ app for LG WebOS. To my knowlege there are no issues with video (always played in 4K and in HDR/Dolby Vision if program offered it). But there was no Dolby surround sound up until about 12/19/19 (only 2 ch stereo only via Optical cable to my A/V Receiver. Not sure what happened between 12/19 and 12/20 (app version has not changed since 11/18/19), but I can NOW confirm that as of 12/20/19, the Disney+ app for LG WebOS is now playing back in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround using the Optical Out feature. My tv is the OLED65C9AUA. I confirmed the 5.1 Dolby Surround while watching both The Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels. I do not have a ARC capable receiver as of yet, so cannot test this feature. Thank you Disney!
Original Content From: https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/4709-lg-responds-to-disney-4k-and-51-sound-issues/?_fromLogin=1

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

Make sure you  have this set on the TV:

Go to Settings > Sound > Sound Out > Optical 
Set it to "Pass Through"

I believe this will make the output to the fiber optic cable be the exact stream from Disney+ (or any other source).

@brian_ehv Disney fixed the issue in an update a while ago. It was the app, not our settings.

I am also having the same issue. Just noticed this last night watching Avengers and was pretty upset. Must be an app limitation and hopefully will be addressed with an update later as there is no setting anywhere that changes this. As you stated Netflix works fine with 5.1 so this is an app specific issue. 😕

i had a similiar issue while playing  sound through HDMI ARC.

Below  notes might help you guys.

hi, Friends,

i have finally fixed the HDMI ARC issue.
Apparently some people also had the same issue and couldnt figure out whats wrong.
After reading through AVSForums, I finally understood that LG had a bug in HDMI operation as well..

The problem happens when your TV is already sending sound through HDMI ARC to a AVR and you try to connect additional sources like dth or blueray player to additional HDMI ports of TV and AVR. Once you add additional sources, you might try to use LG's device connector setting to control the device and this is where HDMI ARC stops working.

Solution:
disconnect all hdmi ports of TV and AVR.
Full reset TV and AVR.
Only Connect HDMI ARC port of TV with HDMI ARC OUT of AVR. Enable ARC feature on both TV and AVR. Open LG TV internal app,
and check if sound is coming properly to AVR.
Now you Connect All additional sources to other HDMI ports of TV and nothing should be connected to AVR.
You may use LG device connector setting to configure the magic remote to control them.

MY current setup of TV:
HDMI 1: Airtel DTH.
HDMI 2: ARC connected to Denon AVR 1500H.
HDMI 3: ACT Television(Using this to play hotstar premium content as LG inbuilt APP is not playing it)

Good news:
LG magic remote can control all 3 devices seamlessly and thats a great ease for customers.
I shall appreciate LG for this.