Quantcast

LG responds to Disney+ 4K and 5.1 sound issues

TMOSteel

Question

If anyone is still experiencing issues with the webOS Disney+ app (and I suspect many if not all of us still are) such as the lack of 4K support, 5.1 audio support, or as in my case with the 86UH9500, both, please see LG's response to my inquiry into these issues:

We appreciate you for patiently coordinating with us regarding the current application status of your LG 86UH9500 TV, Xxxxxxx. It is our goal to ensure that you are able to utilize your LG product at its fullest potential so let us assist you with your inquiry today.

In response to this, according to the specifications of the unit, the LG 86UH9500 TV has been designed with a 4K UHD and Surround Mode feature. However, if the Disney+ app is the only application that does not output surround sound, please be advised that both the content being played on the TV and the applications should also support this feature as well. This case on the capability and support made by the developers of the Disney+ Application needs to be raised directly to them so that they can make the necessary updates on the programming and utilize our TVs 4K UHD and Surround Sound features that are already available in our OLED Television. You can reach Disney+ Support Line at 1-888-905-7888 for additional support and assistance.

So, as expected, LG is pointing the finger at Disney to resolve these issues.  This makes sense as my inquires into the availability of the Disney+ app from LG before the launch directed me to reach out to Disney+ as they, not LG, are responsible for it. 

So if any of you out there have Bob Iger on speed dial, can you give him a ring?

Thanks!

(PS yes, LG incorrectly identified the UH9500 as an OLED model when its an LCD, but I'll let it slide)

• Thanks 1

5 answers to this question

I have signed up for Disney+ since 11/25/19 and used the Disney+ app for LG WebOS. To my knowlege there are no issues with video (always played in 4K and in HDR/Dolby Vision if program offered it). But there was no Dolby surround sound up until about 12/19/19 (only 2 ch stereo only via Optical cable to my A/V Receiver.  Not sure what happened between 12/19 and 12/20 (app version has not changed since 11/18/19), but I can NOW confirm that as of 12/20/19, the Disney+ app for LG WebOS is now playing back in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround using the Optical Out feature.  My tv is the OLED65C9AUA.  I confirmed the 5.1 Dolby Surround while watching both The Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels.   I do not have a ARC capable receiver as of yet, so cannot test this feature.  Thank you Disney!

52 minutes ago, chinnman said:

I have signed up for Disney+ since 11/25/19 and used the Disney+ app for LG WebOS. To my knowlege there are no issues with video (always played in 4K and in HDR/Dolby Vision if program offered it). But there was no Dolby surround sound up until about 12/19/19 (only 2 ch stereo only via Optical cable to my A/V Receiver.  Not sure what happened between 12/19 and 12/20 (app version has not changed since 11/18/19), but I can NOW confirm that as of 12/20/19, the Disney+ app for LG WebOS is now playing back in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround using the Optical Out feature.  My tv is the OLED65C9AUA.  I confirmed the 5.1 Dolby Surround while watching both The Mandalorian and Star Wars Rebels.   I do not have a ARC capable receiver as of yet, so cannot test this feature.  Thank you Disney!

The app was updated by Disney to support 5.1 audio, they've tweeted about the update.  The lack of 4K support is not on all models, yours may have supported it from day 1 but mine did not (2019 model vs 2016).  There have been other posts from LG owners here and on AVS forum about the lack of 4K.  I have my 86UH9500 connected to my Denon AVR-X3500H via ARC and can confirm its outputting 5.1 audio without issues.

Looks like Disney finally fixed its app - have not used D+ in months as I purchased an NVIDIA Shield Pro and now stream everything from that (including Movies Anywhere, CBS All Access, HBO Max and Peacock). 

Just for fun loaded the D+ app on my LG, saw a 9/14 update and applied it, and lo and behold the D+ 4K movies now show 4K available and play in 4K.  

Still better with the NVIDIA since I can get ATMOS sound in addition to Dolby Vision (the 2016 models do not have eARC and can only output 5.1 max via HDMI).  

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 2:07 AM, TMOSteel said:

Looks like Disney finally fixed its app - have not used D+ in months as I purchased an NVIDIA Shield Pro and now stream everything from that (including Movies Anywhere, CBS All Access, HBO Max and Peacock). 

Just for fun loaded the D+ app on my LG, saw a 9/14 update and applied it, and lo and behold the D+ 4K movies now show 4K available and play in 4K.  

Still better with the NVIDIA since I can get ATMOS sound in addition to Dolby Vision (the 2016 models do not have eARC and can only output 5.1 max via HDMI).  

Good to know that the behemoth that is Disney are actually paying attention to their customers' problems.