Quantcast

Invalid Service

Neversaydie

Question

I  have just bought an LG Smart Tv and have tuned it in via freeview and the guide shows that i have all the channels installed. However I am a Racing tv subscriber and the guide shows channel 261 as installed but when i try to access it I get a message saying 'Invalid Service' with an animation and a blank screen. I had no issues with my previous tv so am a little baffled by the fact that i cant receive racing tv on my brand new LG tv. Is this a compatibility problem or is that i need a flash player installed to stream racing tv. Can someone please offer a reason and a solution for this as it is driving me batty.

For channels being provided on, what they claim is HbbTV, my old LG TV  (a 24MT57S) receives them loud and clear in MHEG. Maybe the providers mean they are on MHEG now, and will also be on HbbTV somewhere in the future, once they've been tested.

Most of these channels say they can be accessed on t'Internet as well as telly, so perhaps people who need them could go that way. Meanwhile, I wonder if the service platform company is now searching for the plug that's come loose. If things suddenly start working, well done to the person who prodded them! :)

• Like 1

There is no simple solution to this. 2018 LG TVs receive the channels 2019 don’t. LG blame Freeview and the broadcasters. Freeview said speak to the broadcaster and the broadcaster said there is not problem with their broadcast standards.  The fact that these channels are available on older LG’s and the latest Samsung’s and Panasonic suggest it is an LG issue to fix.   LG so far have been dismissive of this issue and do not plan to change it.   I think the best way to get them to rethink is though public awareness as there is no way of knowing about this issue before you purchase an LG. I have reported this to BBC Watchdog and if enough of us do this the it may get some air time. As make use of social media to let people know that the latest LG do not revive all Freeview channels 

• Like 1

Just had a response from Freeview and it looks promising.

"Thank you for your email dated 14 February which has been passed to myself for response.

I am very sorry to learn that you are experiencing difficulty accessing the online channels. We are investigating the problem with the manufacturer and broadcasters and will get back to you as soon as we get more information."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nehanth patil said:

****Links Removed****

want to know more about other apps check our site....

Website blocked due to reputation

Website blocked: framaroot-app.com

Malwarebytes Browser Guard blocked this website because it may contain malware activity.

We strongly recommend you do not continue.

• Thanks 1

@Geren I wish I had found this post before buying an LG TV!

I've just been told that WebOS doesn't support these channels and that they can pass my request to their dev teams...

Absolute foolishness considering my old LG worked just fine.  Only had it two years but the kids got to it.

Will be speaking to the place I bought it to see what my options are.

There should be a notice on when purchasing that those channels are not supported!

The companies that produce these channels are the ones that have let the side down. Poor old LG was only following advice from Freeview that only HbbTV would be required, With all the interruptions to businesses caused by the pandemic, I would guess that there will be even more excuses for delays before the channels are switched to HbbTV. 

A quick google for "LG firmware hbbtv" showed that LG might (I'm guessing) be looking at the issue. For example, the latest firmware for the 49UF770B  includes "Improve the MHP’s no working with HbbTV & MHP stream" which might translate into something meaningful in English. It would be nice if they managed that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I've got an old Panasonic freeview recorder (DMR-PWT655EB) which shows the channels OK so that's my workaround. Shops look like they're raising prices of these boxes because of the pandemic, which is thoughtful of them.

HI,

I have been interested to read all the entries on this subject.

I purchased an LG50UM7600PLB TV on 23rd May 2020. I have exactly the same problem you have all been debating.

What really annoys me is that after extensive research I bought this TV as it was listed as a "Which?" - BEST BUY!! I will be liaising with them about this issue.

I got the TV from Currys at what I thought was a very good price! Now I know why! Now I have the grief of returning it - fortunately I am within the 30 Days from purchase period - hopefully the return will be accepted and I will probably look at getting a Samsung TV instead!!

On 10/9/2019 at 3:45 PM, Neversaydie said:

I  have just bought an LG Smart Tv and have tuned it in via freeview and the guide shows that i have all the channels installed. However I am a Racing tv subscriber and the guide shows channel 261 as installed but when i try to access it I get a message saying 'Invalid Service' with an animation and a blank screen. I had no issues with my previous tv so am a little baffled by the fact that i cant receive racing tv on my brand new LG tv. Is this a compatibility problem or is that i need a flash player installed to stream racing tv. Can someone please offer a reason and a solution for this as it is driving me batty.

Recently purchased a brand-new LG TV. Same issue here. "Invalid Service" and works fine on other/older model TV's in our house. LG needs to look into this and provide a Firmware update. Never had any issues with LG TV's In the past. Fingers crossed this will be resolved with a firmware update soon or perhaps some new update by Freeview. Checked for firmware updates via LG and on the TV and no updates avail yet. Perhaps will be waiting a while with the looks of things..

We will just have to watch it on the Amazon FireTV stick via the RacingTV app until a solution is found to get our channels. Ah!!  😪

Hi,

Yes it just goes on and on.... You cannot believe that LG have known about this since October 2019 and yet have done nothing about it!

It demonstrates an absolute contempt for their customers - and still people like Which? Magazine (a Consumer "Champion"!) rate LG TV after LG TV  as "Best Buys".

It amazes me the lack of interest I have encountered from Which? Magazine, Freeview Technical Services, Racing TV themselves, and the BBC TV Transmissions Team (responsible for the Transmitter Sites and Transmission Methodology)!!

As for LG "Customer Services" they ought to be prosecuted under the Trades Descriptions Act for calling themselves a "Customer Services" organisation/department!!

Hi everyone

So I had this same issue plugged my tv changed my sky q lmb to compatible freesat one. 

Auto tune picked up 145 channels but bbc and some other channels showed invalid service.

Please try this as I managed to get rid of invalid service.

Settings the cog on your remote

Programmes

Programme Tuning and settings

Chang program mode to satellite

Notice you get new option for satalite settings

Go in to it

Select the satalite 

Go down to lmb power and notice the stats on the right show 0% turn it on.. notice how signal strength and quality show show as a percentage. 

Select done.. 

Reprogram/tune the tv again..

You should get all the channels back to normal.

My location is set to uk.

If it helps:

Astra 28.2e

Lmb freq. 9750/10600

Transponder: 10714 h 22000

11 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Hi did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? 

Quite unbelievable! 

Just purchased the LG75UN81006LB and this exact same thing still happening on freeview with these channels displaying invalid service. 

Well LG TV's not up to the job I've concluded and LG do not care or they would issue an upgrade.

Another thing you might find the use of Red button on Freeview 231 BBC News does not work, does on 101 etc.

My Samsung TV works perfectly  on both these things that my LG does not, I regret not return the LG when first bought.  I was attracted by much lower price and now know now why.

6 minutes ago, David38 said:

Well LG TV's not up to the job I've concluded and LG do not care or they would issue an upgrade.

Another thing you might find the use of Red button on Freeview 231 BBC News does not work, does on 101 etc.

My Samsung TV works perfectly  on both these things that my LG does not, I regret not return the LG when first bought.  I was attracted by much lower price and now know now why.

Thank you for the response :)

It's just not good enough is it! 

This has clearly been going on a long time now. 

I called LG this morning and they said it wasn't something they had ever heard of before surprise surprise! 

Want me to take video to show the issue to get passed on to the tech team. 

Obviously nothing will be done as they could have sorted it a long time ago if they cared.

Just now, David38 said:

What a load of rubbish.

They have heard from me at the very least via this Forum and by direct e-mail.

Told them its all over the Internet! 

Plenty of forums etc for you to see this issue on. 

I just find it astonishing that 2 years later and 2020 models still not got this sorted. 

It's just crazy. 

• Like 1

You are both right to be frustrated and annoyed, and you are correct LG do know all about it and are doing nothing about it at all. They have had 2 years to resolve the issue.

I registered 2 x complaints with LG Customer Services but to no avail.

I did return my LG TV to Currys and got a full refund. Currys "Top Tech Man" at their Flagship Cambridge Store claimed to know nothing of the issue. I did write to Currys Customer Services and complained but never got any response to my letter! Freeview themselves also claim to know nothing about the issue.

We are all fighting against a conspiracy of silence! Just return your set for a refund and try and embarass them into action by flagging the issue on Social Media!

25 minutes ago, Jayqueueaitch said:

You are both right to be frustrated and annoyed, and you are correct LG do know all about it and are doing nothing about it at all. They have had 2 years to resolve the issue.

I registered 2 x complaints with LG Customer Services but to no avail.

I did return my LG TV to Currys and got a full refund. Currys "Top Tech Man" at their Flagship Cambridge Store claimed to know nothing of the issue. I did write to Currys Customer Services and complained but never got any response to my letter! Freeview themselves also claim to know nothing about the issue.

We are all fighting against a conspiracy of silence! Just return your set for a refund and try and embarass them into action by flagging the issue on Social Media!

I just find it unbelievable that they have left it like this for 2 years and continue to make out they have never heard of it. 

It's a pretty big deal, how is this not picked up and known before these tv's are released? 

Must be some way of getting them sort this. 

2 hours ago, Jayqueueaitch said:

...... Freeview themselves also claim to know nothing about the issue.

Oh yes Freeview do know I've contacted them.

Also the broadcasting company too who you really think would be concerned as they paying Freeview to put these internet stations on the EPG.

Everyone just blames someone else.

It will be a Samsung that replaces this LG, as I know Samsung took notice of me when a couple of times the broadcaster made a change which was compatible and they got to work and did an upgrade.

@David38 I 100% agree with you that anything other than a LG will replace this TV.  I've already talked my brother and my parents out of buying a new LG.

Considering I'm the tech guy for a company with 100's of employees, I provide advice on various devices including TV's.  I'll be telling them to dismiss the LG range from their choices.  Not only because the TV's are experiencing this issue, but also the support has been useless in getting this sorted.

It's disgusting that this issue hasn't been resolved yet.

Another interesting Point - The set I bought was rated as a "Which? Best Buy"!!!

After I had returned it to the store I complained to Which? that they were rating a TV Set as a "Best Buy" (they have a lot of LG Sets as "Best Buys"!) when it didn't even receive the full range of Freeserve programmes that it should! They looked into it and responded to what I was saying by stating that the Freeserve Reception was not one of the Criteria that they tested when reviewing TV Sets!

So it's a great set with a great picture - but the set just doesn't receive all the TV stations that it should!!

You couldn't make it up!!

Just now, Jayqueueaitch said:

Another interesting Point - The set I bought was rated as a "Which? Best Buy"!!!

After I had returned it to the store I complained to Which? that they were rating a TV Set as a "Best Buy" (they have a lot of LG Sets as "Best Buys"!) when it didn't even receive the full range of Freeserve programmes that it should! They looked into it and responded to what I was saying by stating that the Freeserve Reception was not one of the Criteria that they tested when reviewing TV Sets!

So it's a great set with a great picture - but the set just doesn't receive all the TV stations that it should!!

You couldn't make it up!!

Comedy!!!!

This has all been discussed on AVforums too. One member there quoted LG's response, which confirms that it's Freeview and the channel providers who got it wrong. The quoted response is:

"I have had a look into this for you and from what I can see, as you are only having issues with two channels, this is not a fault with your TV and is down to the format of the channel. Many channels are in the MHEG format, however our TVs support HbbTV format channels. We were advised that all services would be updated to support both formats however some channels have not done this causing this issue to occur. I would recommend that you contact the provider of these channels to see when they are updating these channels as our TV’s are no longer compatible with these."

Freeview told LG that all MHEG channels would also broadcast in HbbTV , so only HbbTV was needed for mainland UK. The TVs are fit for the purpose Freeview said was required, but the channel providers just didn't get their act together. If Freeview updated LG to say that Freeview made a mistake, and nicely asked LG to enable MHEG reception in mainland UK, LG could fix it. This involves Freeview actually admitting that it made a mistake.   The chance of that happening is slightly less than me going for a skiing holiday in Hell.

Geren's post is interesting to read. It basically tells us that LG know the issue but that in feeling "let down" by Freeview, and some of the Freeview "Member Channels" they are digging their heels in, taking what they see as the "Victim Position" and deciding that their Customers (us who buy the sets) can just be disappointed, let down, and put up with it!

They could resolve the issue with a Software Upgrade - but they are not going to because they are cross with Freeview and the Channels. So the TV buying customers can get stuffed!

I don't know where the comment - "Can only not receive TWO Channels comes from". My set was an LG50UM7600PLB (a Which? "Best Buy" !!!). This Set did not show ANY of the 11 x Data Stations on Freeview Channel 33. All these Channels just threw up the "Invalid Service" sign. One of these Channels was "261" - Racing TV Channel - for which I pay a Monthly Subscription!! Obviously I was not very happy I could not receive it, and my complaints to LG got nowhere!, Through my personal investigations (as we have all undertaken), I finally discovered the reason why I could not see the channel I was paying my Subscription for!  Like all of you I was totally amazed and unimpressed.

Faced with a disinterested LG, and a total impasse from all those involved, I returned my LG set, and, as mentioned on one of my previous posts, I got my full refund from Curry's. That was over 6 months ago - and this issue is still going on, and will soon be entering its THIRD YEAR!

LG and Freeview really don't care do they, and Which? Magazine continue to rate many LG Sets as "Best Buys"!!

"Buyer Beware" indeed!