Quantcast

Invalid Service

Neversaydie

Question

I  have just bought an LG Smart Tv and have tuned it in via freeview and the guide shows that i have all the channels installed. However I am a Racing tv subscriber and the guide shows channel 261 as installed but when i try to access it I get a message saying 'Invalid Service' with an animation and a blank screen. I had no issues with my previous tv so am a little baffled by the fact that i cant receive racing tv on my brand new LG tv. Is this a compatibility problem or is that i need a flash player installed to stream racing tv. Can someone please offer a reason and a solution for this as it is driving me batty.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:53 PM, xanda said:

We too have this issue. None of the suggestions regarding inline attenuation, software updates or resetting will have any bearing here because it is a drop-off with the LG platform (and a major one at that).

As far as those who are considering trying for a refund, there are essentially two options:-

1. If the set was ordered online then exercise your 30 day right to reject.
  2. If past this point then there is scope for arguing it's either unfit for purpose, not of merchantable quality or,  as-is perhaps more likely,  reasonably expecting the set be used with such services i.e. the set is meant to work with Freeview[HD] services . There is more than one way to skin this cat... 😵See:  
    link hidden, please login to view

The problem won't get fixed until LG, and perhaps Freeview et al get their heads together.

To get their attention please up-vote this Facebook post on LG's official page: 

Hope this helps. 👍

Well I'm not so sure if LG are really aware of the cause as an earlier poster lost channel 265 after a software update which leads me to believe it is a software and not something that needs 'New parts' as stated in neversaydie's email he recieved from them.  I think this issue is to do with programming of the OS and conflicts. My red button shows carousel failure due to OS often.

I have spoken to freeview and the service is running fine and dandy on my 2018 set which runs HBBTV.  I will check out that post on Facebook.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tinks said:

I think this issue is to do with programming of the OS and conflicts.

We agree - it almost certainly is a firmware issue.

For anyone else following this thread: Please do check out the Facebook post and give the oxygen of 'likes' if you're able to. Thanks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, xanda said:

We agree - it almost certainly is a firmware issue.

For anyone else following this thread: Please do check out the Facebook post and give the oxygen of 'likes' if you're able to. Thanks.

I have left a response *or two, on Facebook. Here is a copy of the email response as requested. 

Screenshot_20191218-221221.png

Screenshot_20191218-221243.png

We also received a response from Freeview, words to the effect of 'some sets will and some won't'. What this essentially means is that some streamed only services, (as described in this thread and the link below) are incompatible with some makes & models.

This is borne out by Tinks' investigation.

The long and short is that the Freeview logo does not represent a consistent level of service as broadcasters and manufacturers are (currently) free to employ different standards.

🤔

There may be a silver lining to look forward to though...

According to the DTG, there will be a complete switch-over in due course. For the basic lowdown see:-

It could be that LG are ahead of the game and maybe all that is required is some patience? At the same time, it's appalling that the first line support services of both LG & Freeview are ignorant of what the situation is. 🤨😡

This being so, please up the ante by hitting that 'like' button... 👍

Edited by xanda
Link update
  • Like 1

Yes they are ahead of their game as MHEG is being phased out but it's too early to phase it out on sets until the changeover is complete. As this thread has proven, customers are missing out...not a good recipe for customer relations. 

MHEG and HBBTV can run alongside each other as can be seen in my 2018 set so why jump ahead of the game only to find many customers are unduly disappointed at purchase of these tv's. 

• Like 2

We couldn't agree more - it's a shockingly poor show from LG.

Indeed, here is a partial quote from the LG Facebook team:-

...a response from our team. This is not something that we have any control over here at LG.

Our tuners only support channels on a HBBTV format. Older channels are using an older format and so the TV will either not receive this or it will show "invalid service". This is based purely on the channels themselves, and they would need to be updated by the channel broadcaster.

We would be happy to raise this as a customer concern to highlight your issue; however, at this time there would be nothing we can do from our side of things.

They might perhaps have a point and it might be that it's a waiting game. Yet it beggars belief that despite knowing what the situation is they are more than content to basically 'stick it' to their customers.

To our mind at least, buying a set with the Freeview logo means it should work with all Freeview services; it's dishonest otherwise.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 2:18 AM, xanda said:

We couldn't agree more - it's a shockingly poor show from LG.

Indeed, here is a partial quote from the LG Facebook team:-

They might perhaps have a point and it might be that it's a waiting game. Yet it beggars belief that despite knowing what the situation is they are more than content to basically 'stick it' to their customers.

To our mind at least, buying a set with the Freeview logo means it should work with all Freeview services; it's dishonest otherwise.

Hi xanda, Im not sure if you left the partial quotd out?

I can't see how one of the previous posters lost his channels after an update....unless it was not a 2019 set.  As I stated on Facebook, they should have a disclaimer on the box, or inform the sales outlet that these sets are not capable of receiving the channels, giving the customer a choice to buy it or not. After all, the only reason I bought a new tv for a different room, was so I could watch these channels.  The UM74/UM70/UM76 models are ones I know of, that do not have the capability to receive these channels.  

• Like 1

Hi again - just thought I'd share the LG email reply I received recently in relation to this issue. It doesn't add much to the sum total of discussion

so far .... but it shows that LG Customer Services are being somewhat intransigent and trying to shift the blame.

image.thumb.png.5265ccb3a0295ef2042c0cfe33a9cf05.png

I think the LG response is unacceptable. Their TV should be able to receive all the current freeview channels just as their 2018 sets do. This was a decision made LG that give the consumer no choice . I have reported this to BBC watchdog program I hope some more of you do this as well as i think it is well out of order.

On 12/25/2019 at 1:15 PM, Neversaydie said:

Hi AHHHHH!

I have also sent a message to BBC Watchdog regarding this LG issue and would advise all other affected customers to do the same. Maybe we could get some satisfaction through them.

Neversaydie

Hi. Just wondering if you have got any further with this issue? 

Tinks. 

I have just bought a 32LM6300PLA and it says Invalid Service on Freeview ch 251 to 271.

I've now come across this thread in this forum and horrified to read that this a problem with LG design of TV and it not meeting the standards used in the UK by Freeview.

I will now have to return this TV to my supplier as not fit for purpose.

Before I do have any of you got your LG TV working on these data channels?

Thanks

David

27 minutes ago, Neversaydie said:

Hi David38

...., the only way I found that I could get them was by buying a new freeview set top box at a cost of £80.

I just bought this TV to replace a TV plus a Freeview box to get HD, so not wanting to go backwards.   

Have contacted the Freeview and they have no knowledge of the problem and they say nothing wrong at their end and LG should be contacted.

Thanks for your response.

I've recently bought a 49UM7400PLB and noticed these invalid service channels, which led me to this thread.

As you appear to have found out, the invalid service channels are 'MHEG' ones which haven't been updated to 'HbbTV' yet, but I noticed that this set does support MHEG in some other countries which haven't switched to HbbTV yet, one of which is Ireland. So I tried a quick experiment, and changed the TV's location (in the General settings menu) from 'United Kingdom' to 'Ireland'. It did some resetting and wiped the channels out, but also changed the 'Programmes' menu to show the 'MHEG' option instead of HbbTV. I did a full retune, which arranged the channels in some fairly random order, but I was able to view '365 Travel' and the racing channel with no problems at all. So that's an ugly work-around, but I don't know if it breaks something else.

Unfortunately, this seems to have disabled all HbbTV channels, but things like BBC's Red Button work like the old teletext service instead of the new graphic version.

Afterwards, I switched the location back to 'United Kingdom', re-input my postcode and retuned again, and got most stuff back with no trouble. I don't use the MHEG stuff myself, but I've got a DMR-PWT655EB freeview play recorder which still supports MHEG in the UK, so I can see them on that if I want.

Hope this helps someone get round LG's premature MHEG withdrawal problem. It would be nice if they just gave us the option to turn it back on in the UK.

1 hour ago, Geren said:

As you appear to have found out, the invalid service channels are 'MHEG' ones which haven't been updated to 'HbbTV' yet,.....

That's an interesting statement Updated Yet, so is there some update planed by Freeview?

Who is responsible for controlling the standards and specs. of broadcasting?  Freeview tell me not them and they do not know.

I will just hold off returning this TV  until I find out about this pending change.  Would be foolish I get another make and it works the data and streaming channels then the spec. changes to this HbbTV and I loose them again.  😞

Why oh why do they not stooping messing about.

Thanks you give good info.

@Geren well that's all very odd considering these sets do not run MHEG yet they are capable of receiving it when you changed area etc. I tried changing that on my set but it made no odds. BBC red button will work on both platforms as it incorporates both HBB and MHEG. 

2018 sets can receive both HBB and MHEG at the same time,  so I wonder why 2019 sets can only receive either MHEG or HBB separately  according to your experiment Geren? 

It's all very odd considering LG are saying these sets are NOT MHEG compatible 🤔

@David38 if you emailed them you could have linked this thread/site as it's open to public viewing. I hope they are able to get to the bottom of this as something is certainly awry. 

I cannot understand why LG state they phased it out of these sets if Geren managed to gain access to MHEG albeit through another location. 

I've been browsing adverts for the 49UM7400PLB in other countries and they say it supports MHEG in Ireland only !

For example,  

(LG's own specification in Romanian) says "MHEG (Numai Irlanda)" which is "MHEG (Ireland only)". It may be worth seeing what LG say about other models in Romania, since they're telling everyone except the UK about them.

The DTG people, who are pushing the switch to HbbTV in the UK made an announcement in 2017 about it   but somehow these channels haven't moved since then. I think they were more interested in getting TV receivers ready for HbbTV rather than the channel providers. Maybe the channel providers need prodding, since their business is looking a bit slow to join the party.

• Like 1

@Geren I've already called the company that run Planet Knowledge, Racing Channel etc and they run their programmes through a platform provider (sadly I can't remember the name of the company now but found it through extensive searching).  So I also contacted them and the odd thing was, they told me the platform was HBBTV.