Quantcast

This app will now restart to free up more memory

ironmonkey

Question

Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.

I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.

As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.

My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I have used cat6 for a long time still didn't work 

I have now binned the lg and bought a new Sony vowed never buy a lg product again 

Yes LG are about the worst. I am on the same page as you, i will also never buy another LG product. Just wait until they impliment their system into driverless cars.......

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vladtheodor said:

Swap partition?

Ramdisk ?

Overlay File System? 

Virtual RAM on a memory-stick or SD-card? 

43um7100plb

I have tried to use a USB stick as an external memory for my "Smart" TV. No luck at all with that, this "Smart" TV is not smart enough to do that.

I dont see any option to swap partition either, so thats also out of the question.

Upgrading the memory by installing another Ramdisk is also something that is far beyond what LG "Smart" TV's can do (My $200 mobile phone is better and faster than my $2,000 TV).  

The only solution i have found is to add an external TV (Android) box and bypass the disgracefully inept LG TV.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:59 AM, ironmonkey said:

I have tried to use a USB stick as an external memory for my "Smart" TV. No luck at all with that, this "Smart" TV is not smart enough to do that.

I dont see any option to swap partition either, so thats also out of the question.

Upgrading the memory by installing another Ramdisk is also something that is far beyond what LG "Smart" TV's can do (My $200 mobile phone is better and faster than my $2,000 TV).  

The only solution i have found is to add an external TV (Android) box and bypass the disgracefully inept LG TV.

The thing is this even happens with the sky box? So the tv is basically a monitor and this still happens

On 12/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, [email protected] said:

I have dumped the lg although problems with the new Bravia smòthing and fast movement blurring 

But the memory problem on the lg, I even got this when I was using the sky box, meaning the tv was actually just a monitor?

So many New TVs seem to have problems shouldn't need to pay £2k to get a half decent tv.

I totally agree with you, these products are not fit for purpose. Its amazing how these companies get away with selling a product that only does about 20% of what they claim the product can do. 

I am old enough to remember when you bought a product, you actually got what you paid for, no BS and no controlled obsolescence.

How is controlled obsolescence even allowed? That's consumerism for you.

I purchased my TV through a shop that claimed that they were LG dealers. They really hyped this TV up and i asked them several times about its streaming abilities "can it stream movies, can it stream through paid subscription apps, what about YouTube ?" Every one of these LG dealers swore that this TV can do that and a lot more..... Basically they are either all stupid idiots who don't know a thing about their products, or they are a bunch of liars , who get paid by LG to scam their customers.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:14 AM, John Stevenson said:

This happened to me 20 minutes into the first thing I tried to play with a brand-new LG telly, bought for me as a Christmas present by my partner. Subsequent attempts to use it were characterised by constant buffering. It's going back and being replaced by a Samsung.

Really sorry to hear about that, especially when it was a Christmas gift.

Honestly you are doing the right thing, i was really unlucky when i bought my LG brick. I had a problem with the shop that i bought it from and they would not refund, so if you can get your money back, you should do that and buy an Android TV instead.  

have the same memory issue for a long time now (years), it is crazy that LG did not sort out how to repair this until now.

i beleive i found a work around, so when the app is trying to connect (when you retry and clear the memory issue message), open the accesability menu under the home button, this apparently initializes the app, this is the only way i can bypass this issue.

hope this helps.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:38 AM, Avi said:

have the same memory issue for a long time now (years), it is crazy that LG did not sort out how to repair this until now.

i beleive i found a work around, so when the app is trying to connect (when you retry and clear the memory issue message), open the accesability menu under the home button, this apparently initializes the app, this is the only way i can bypass this issue.

hope this helps.

Sorry that you also have this problem. Actually this is not a random issue that only affects certain % of people. This problem is something that affects every single LG TV owner, its baked into their products and its a hardware issue.

The real problem is the miniscule onboard memory that LG have in their "Smart TV's" they seem to think that 500 megabytes is enough to run a "Smart TV" and their OS, plus some pretty demanding Apps, that's laughable. Also the other hardware that they use is sub standard and extremely basic, so no amount of refreshing the apps or deleting the memory cache is going to fix hardware issues.

LG recommends that you close the TV down and this clears the internal memory and clears the cache, leave the TV off for 10 minutes. Again this is clearly nonsense and is insulting. The fact is that the only real solution to this problem is to not buy LG TV's in the first place.      

Ok 20 second selution. 

1. Dont ask in lg.  I searched problem THIS APP WILL etc and think was techadvisor i used.

2. Don't switch tv OFF. But pull plug from socket. 

3. Point remote at tv sensor and press and hold power for 10 seconds. I usually do 15/20. Leave tv for a minute then plug back in.

4. This will clear all crap in memory fpr a couple of months depending on how much you use it. 

5. Repeat anytime it happens. Not great but it works and best solution there is imo.

6. GOOD F....ING LUCK WE NEED IT WITH LG TVs

Yes its crazy really. When i bought this TV, i did quite a bit of research and really asked a lot of people in quite a few different shops about "Smart TV's" and the shop staff in pretty much ever shop really pushed this LG TV. Looking back that should have sounded alarm bells.
As i have discussed here with other people, i have had my TV running the internet through an Ethernet cable from day one, i have never use the Wifi for the internet, so its very confusing when i hear other people say that using an Ethernet cable fixed this problem for them, because it certainly has not fixed my problem. I have talked to quite a few people and even had some "LG qualified" technicians out to look at the TV. They just parrot the same BS, "they have never seen this problem before" or "close the TV down every 20 minutes to delete the cache" "uninstall the apps" "reset to factory default" "stand in a corner on your head with your arse painted blue"...... actually that lasy one i have not tried, but who knows?
Too be honest this is only one of the many problems that i have with this TV. I am also starting to get randem shut downs and restarts, somtimes the screen with go black and i can hear the program in the backround, but not see the picture, when this happens i can not use any of the buttons on the "magic" remote. Pages not loading because of not enough memory, The TV not starting properly because it tells me that i am not signed in ect ect
LG are rubbish, not only are their product rubbish, but their customer service is the worst, they seriously dont give a toss what they sell to you and after they have your money... well we all know what happens then.
Hi! I think you should try setting the tv region code to another region, restart for the change to be executed, do a factory reset after this, once you finish set properly the tv to try it and see if you still get app crashes or low memory alert. By doing all this i think the tv is forced to set default apps from the region code that you chose and delete what I believe is in memory and properly set new one.

If everything works fine, you could keep it that way or you can get it back to your region code, restart the tv, and go again through a factory reset. And set properly your TV.

You can check memory capacity of your tv by doing this :

Use your Magic remote or your normal tv remote:
Press Settings -> Go to programmes -> Highlight on Auto Tuning or programme settings but you do not hit on it, just highlight it. Depending on your LG TV model press on your remote the digit 1 five times. Then you will get host information showing on screen, where you can see the flash capacity of your tv, the Dram capacity, firmware version, Web os version, wifi connection information, lock status, etc.....

You can also check your internal storage, in setting -> Advanced -> General -> About the TV -> TV informations -> then look at your storage.

Mine state 0.29/0.60GB and I am upset it was supposed to be more then what you see. Maybe its a mistake, I called LG but the tech agent did not know the exact internal storage capacity I was supposed to have. Its crazy for a tv of 2018. When you know all the apps you got on the tv that keeps on getting updates from time to time. And all the Apps you could get in Lg content store.

One time when the tv was newly arrived, I had downloaded more sets of screen saving pictures in the gallery, and I couldn't update the tv with new software update that was available, and I could not update any installed apps on my Tv. I had to deleted the sets of screen saving pictures I had previously downloaded and left only one, and everything got back to normal so I could do the software update, and later update the apps.

I would like to get a feedback on what happened if you do this.

For anyone reading this I wish that everyone who are unhappy about the memory and storage capacity of their expensive Lg 4k tv get together against LG. I do not know how to say it. But I think everybody understand.

Thanks for reading or trying

Bye

Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

On 4/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Jeff Smith said:

Ok 20 second selution. 

1. Dont ask in lg.  I searched problem THIS APP WILL etc and think was techadvisor i used.

2. Don't switch tv OFF. But pull plug from socket. 

3. Point remote at tv sensor and press and hold power for 10 seconds. I usually do 15/20. Leave tv for a minute then plug back in.

4. This will clear all crap in memory fpr a couple of months depending on how much you use it. 

5. Repeat anytime it happens. Not great but it works and best solution there is imo.

6. GOOD F....ING LUCK WE NEED IT WITH LG TVs

Yes its crazy that we have to trawl the internet looking for hacks to get our expensive TV to actually work to an acceptable standard.

I actually tried that method and i got the same result that i got from just turning the TV off normally. I dont seem to get the "This app needs to close" problem as much if i am just looking at normal content through the browser. It closes pretty quickly if i am streaming content, or watching YouTube for a while, even the YouTube app is not exempt from this.

I ended up getting an Adroid TV box to get around this problem. But this just makes me hate myself for not just getting an Android TV in the first place.     

On 4/27/2021 at 5:49 PM, Steel said:

Hi! I think you should try setting the tv region code to another region, restart for the change to be executed, do a factory reset after this, once you finish set properly the tv to try it and see if you still get app crashes or low memory alert. By doing all this i think the tv is forced to set default apps from the region code that you chose and delete what I believe is in memory and properly set new one.

If everything works fine, you could keep it that way or you can get it back to your region code, restart the tv, and go again through a factory reset. And set properly your TV.

You can check memory capacity of your tv by doing this :

Use your Magic remote or your normal tv remote:
Press Settings -> Go to programmes -> Highlight on Auto Tuning or programme settings but you do not hit on it, just highlight it. Depending on your LG TV model press on your remote the digit 1 five times. Then you will get host information showing on screen, where you can see the flash capacity of your tv, the Dram capacity, firmware version, Web os version, wifi connection information, lock status, etc.....

You can also check your internal storage, in setting -> Advanced -> General -> About the TV -> TV informations -> then look at your storage.

Mine state 0.29/0.60GB and I am upset it was supposed to be more then what you see. Maybe its a mistake, I called LG but the tech agent did not know the exact internal storage capacity I was supposed to have. Its crazy for a tv of 2018. When you know all the apps you got on the tv that keeps on getting updates from time to time. And all the Apps you could get in Lg content store.

One time when the tv was newly arrived, I had downloaded more sets of screen saving pictures in the gallery, and I couldn't update the tv with new software update that was available, and I could not update any installed apps on my Tv. I had to deleted the sets of screen saving pictures I had previously downloaded and left only one, and everything got back to normal so I could do the software update, and later update the apps.

I would like to get a feedback on what happened if you do this.

For anyone reading this I wish that everyone who are unhappy about the memory and storage capacity of their expensive Lg 4k tv get together against LG. I do not know how to say it. But I think everybody understand.

Thanks for reading or trying

Bye

Envoyé de mon SM-N960F en utilisant Tapatalk

I agree with you that the internal storage is disgraceful. Mine is about the same as you quoted about 1/2 gig is nothing.

Thats either total greed or total incomitance by LG. They have a contract with the companies whose apps they push you to use, so i would say that this is intentional. This is partly where the problem lies, the internal components are pretty substandard hardware and that memory cache fills up very quickly.

I actually tried to change the region for my TV, but i seem to remember that i had a problem with my IP provider and the LAN connection for the TV, i will have another look at that.  

I have never had any advice from anyone that i have talked to about this TV and its many problems,  i have a lot of other problems with my LG TV, not just this problem. LG have never even answered a single email or support message that i have sent to them and i have sent a few. This company is seriously one of the worst i have ever encountered. 

I have an LG tv and have had the same problem for years.  As I figured out the problem was not the tv, but the way I  was using it. Which lead to that message of needing to free up memory, made think I had to delete some of my apps to solve the issue.  I figured out that like a computer screen with multiple tabs open, your tv will have multiple apps open if you don't close them after use. This is what causes the drain of memory to the tv, and leads  to its need to free up memory.  So once I closed all of the apps that I had open the message no longer popped up.  I now make sure to close the app after i watch it. Closeing the app doesn't delete it from your tv, so no worries. You can open it again whenever you want to watch it.  What you do is select the Home button on your tv remote, then select Recent on your tv screen, now close allll of those apps that you have open and are sucking up memory. Remember to close each app after you watch and you will not see that "need to fee up memory " message again. Hope this helps. 

C.F. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charline said:

I have an LG tv and have had the same problem for years.  As I figured out the problem was not the tv, but the way I  was using it. Which lead to that message of needing to free up memory, made think I had to delete some of my apps to solve the issue.  I figured out that like a computer screen with multiple tabs open, your tv will have multiple apps open if you don't close them after use. This is what causes the drain of memory to the tv, and leads  to its need to free up memory.  So once I closed all of the apps that I had open the message no longer popped up.  I now make sure to close the app after i watch it. Closeing the app doesn't delete it from your tv, so no worries. You can open it again whenever you want to watch it.  What you do is select the Home button on your tv remote, then select Recent on your tv screen, now close allll of those apps that you have open and are sucking up memory. Remember to close each app after you watch and you will not see that "need to fee up memory " message again. Hope this helps. 

C.F. 

Hi Charline, i am honestly really happy that you got a good result from the method that mentioned. I actually did  try that, i always close down apps that i opened, because they do still run in the back round. But this did not solve anything for me, i still got the error message regardless.

I also deleted every single app that came pre installed, or that i personally installed. I even (out of desperation) turned off every single setting that i did not need or that i thought might be using the extremely small amount of internal memory, i did all the things that other people have mentioned, like closing the TV and waiting, then turn it back on too clear the cache, or turning the TV off by just pulling the electric plug out of the wall, still got the error message and the close down. 

The strange thing is that either you are correct and your method works, so that's all people need to do to fix this problem, or everyone else who has tried that method and many other methods all have faulty TV's and LG have sold a load of broken TV's and don't want to admit that they have done that. Even i quick search for answers to this problem, shows how much LG dont care about this issue and how much they try to blame everything else apart from their TV's 

link hidden, please login to view
 Not ne mention of their products being behind this problem, always the IP provider, the internet speed, data cap and neighbors. This is all nonsense.  

Personally i think that this is intentional on LG's part, they use sub standard processors and cheap internal hardware parts. They could quite easily upgrade the internal components, install more memory, maybe even include a way to use an external hard drive as a internal storage.  and maybe a faster CPU/GPU

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:15 AM, ironmonkey said:

Personally i think that this is intentional on LG's part, they use sub standard processors and cheap internal hardware parts. They could quite easily upgrade the internal components, install more memory, maybe even include a way to use an external hard drive as a internal storage.  and maybe a faster CPU/GPU

What we gonna do with existing "smart"TV from LG? I think a end-product is a working-one... 

On 5/2/2021 at 6:30 AM, vladtheodor said:

What we gonna do with existing "smart"TV from LG? I think a end-product is a working-one... 

I watch my TV through an Android TV box.

Its the only way too actually get it to work and not close down. As far as i am concerned the "Smart  TV" i paid a lot of money for is not fit for purpose and i do not regard it as a "Smart TV" at all. It just a big monitor and nothing else.

2 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

I watch my TV through an Android TV box.

Its the only way too actually get it to work and not close down. As far as i am concerned the "Smart  TV" i paid a lot of money for is not fit for purpose and i do not regard it as a "Smart TV" at all. It just a big monitor and nothing else.

Well, i am a Raspberry 4 (8Mb) user too. Extra money for an EXTERNAL device. LG should call back in service all sold "smart's". 

23 hours ago, vladtheodor said:

Well, i am a Raspberry 4 (8Mb) user too. Extra money for an EXTERNAL device. LG should call back in service all sold "smart's". 

Yes i agree with you 100%. LG are even planning to put their OS into Smart driverless cars....... Can you imagine that....... Every 30 minutes "This car needs to stop to refresh the memory" .

On 5/5/2021 at 7:14 AM, ironmonkey said:

Yes i agree with you 100%. LG are even planning to put their OS into Smart driverless cars....... Can you imagine that....... Every 30 minutes "This car needs to stop to refresh the memory" .

Lmao oh why did i get this tv. Told it was open.  "YES YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE INTERNET/APP STORE" they just didnt tell me it was LGs app store that NEVER ADDS ANY DECENT USEFUL APP. CAN'T EVEN GET A GOOD VIDEO PLAYING APP. OR A GOOD SEARCH BROWER LIKE BRAVE. WOW at this point i would even talk CHROME AND I DETEST GOOGLE.

On 2/5/2018 at 11:08 AM, ironmonkey said:

Just bought an LGLED-65UJ630 65INCH TV. Right away I started to get the message "This app will now restart to free up more memory". After searching the internet and forums, I now understand that this problem is huge, it has been going on for years now and it is right across many models of LG TV's.

I have tried everything to fix this problem. It has the latest firmware. I did the factory reset and that lasted 4 hours before I got the message back. I turn off the TV and leave it for 10 minutes, maybe one hour later I get the message. I delete browsing history, maybe 10 minutes and I get the message..... you get the message.

As I understand it, the problem is that LG TV's don't have enough internal memory, but they have shipped a ton of their "smart" TV's with this problem.

My question is, has anybody heard anything from anybody, anywhere about a solution to this problem. I really want to keep this TV, but it is not fit for purpose in this state.     

Did you get a long lasting fix? Best ive had working was only for about 3month. Its a pain. And when it goes you need to sort or tv is useless.

Edited by Jws247
Question answered

18 hours ago, Jws247 said:

Did you get a long lasting fix? Best ive had working was only for about 3month. Its a pain. And when it goes you need to sort or tv is useless.

No i am really sorry to say that i never got a fix for the "App will now close" issue. Too be honest i kind of gave up on this TV. When i bought the TV it was a very big investment and i was really excited to get this kind of "Smart" TV. But the problems are just too many and just too constant and the support is just too non existent. 

I did notice that one of the biggest offenders was YouTube through the browser. Since LG scrapped their support for watching anything at all outside of their paid for app, its now impossible to use YouTube without using the app, i dont seem to get so many close downs as i did before. But i was getting a close down on average within the hour, now i might get a few hours of viewing (only through the app).

I ended up getting an Android TV box to bypass the  TV. I can watch pretty much anything i want and download pretty much any app i want, not just the rubbish pay to view apps that LG have baked into their OS. I really wish that i had just got a normal large screen TV and an Android box in the first place, it works a lot better and it would have been a lot cheaper. 

18 hours ago, Jws247 said:

Lmao oh why did i get this tv. Told it was open.  "YES YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE INTERNET/APP STORE" they just didnt tell me it was LGs app store that NEVER ADDS ANY DECENT USEFUL APP. CAN'T EVEN GET A GOOD VIDEO PLAYING APP. OR A GOOD SEARCH BROWER LIKE BRAVE. WOW at this point i would even talk CHROME AND I DETEST GOOGLE.

Haha the LG app store is a joke. They have about 6 apps that dont even work. Or the apps are sub standard, cut down versions of sub standard cut down versions of really shit apps from the 1930's. Get an Android TV box, download something like Kodi and bypass the LG brick.

Well, my LG UM7100PLB updated today to v 05.10.05 webos 4.9.2.-5390405 Goldilocks2-Gyeryongsan. 

I updated the browser with the home-button in application. Was 102MB big. 

And we have a new browser! It is a Chrome on Java but good!!! Now we can watch online recorded full-lenght movies without interruption.  

IMG_20210614_120556.jpg 

Seems to have H264ify allready enabled... "Adaptive Javascript" in the browser settings is fine now. No lag. 

For blocking ads i disabled the wifi ipv6 in the smarttv settings and for ipv4 now using the adguardDNS 94.140.14.14 adress. Or 94.140.15.15 

Thanks guys! 

On 6/14/2021 at 5:15 PM, vladtheodor said:

Well, my LG UM7100PLB updated today to v 05.10.05 webos 4.9.2.-5390405 Goldilocks2-Gyeryongsan. 

I updated the browser with the home-button in application. Was 102MB big. 

And we have a new browser! It is a Chrome on Java but good!!! Now we can watch online recorded full-lenght movies without interruption.  

IMG_20210614_120556.jpg 

Seems to have H264ify allready enabled... "Adaptive Javascript" in the browser settings is fine now. No lag. 

For blocking ads i disabled the wifi ipv6 in the smarttv settings and for ipv4 now using the adguardDNS 94.140.14.14 adress. Or 94.140.15.15 

Thanks guys! 

Good for you, if you have some improvement thats great. I did an update for the OS a little while ago ( 3.9.0-62905 dreadlocks2-dudhwa ) and i did another check ant further update just now, but there was not new update.

Nothing has changed for my TV. I still have the same options for web browsers and no option to change from either Chrome, Bing or some other rubbish. The version of Chrome that i have is just the same as before, nothing has changed with that.

The only thing that i noticed that changed with the last update, was that LG downloaded three totally useless apps that i can not even install.... unless i delete other things first. Thing is that i dont have anything else installed so i cant even install the apps anyway.   

203133530_822150008426852_5934449936707525014_n.jpg

202545459_340707297612799_4718141686573038133_n.jpg