HBO GO

Question

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Is HBO GO available on my new LG TV as an app?

Currently the only way I know of getting HBO GO on webOS is via the Amazon Prime app: link hidden, please login to view I am not sure whether you have to have an actual Amazon Prime Video a

HBO GO like many of the other Premium channels require Adobe Flash. OS 3.0 doesn't support Flash, so we the consumers get screwed. I should have done more research before I bought my LG. I love the pi

Posted Images

Currently the only way I know of getting HBO GO on webOS is via the Amazon Prime app:

link hidden, please login to view

I am not sure whether you have to have an actual Amazon Prime Video account as well, or if you can just install the app and use the HBO GO part of it.

Sadly so many sites and services rely on Adobe's Flash, which is a constantly changing environment, instead of moving to newer more stable platform agnostic technologies.  Many manufacturers just do not want to have to keep playing catchup with Adobe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 22-10-2017 at 8:03 AM, John Jackson said:

HBO GO like many of the other Premium channels require Adobe Flash. OS 3.0 doesn't support Flash, so we the consumers get screwed. I should have done more research before I bought my LG. I love the picture quality, but I also bought this "Smart" TV so I could drop the Roku. Lesson learned ;-)

Apple stopped supporting Flash on iPhone and iPad before LG did.  Even Adobe will stop  

What you should do is ask HBO to create an HBO GO app on LG smart tv's.

• Like 1
On 10/22/2017 at 5:04 AM, George Hofmeister said:

Currently the only way I know of getting HBO GO on webOS is via the Amazon Prime app:

I am not sure whether you have to have an actual Amazon Prime Video account as well, or if you can just install the app and use the HBO GO part of it.

Yes, I do have Prime and use it, but in order to access everything on hbogo, I'd have to pay for another subscription. But for now, I've been streaming hbogo from my laptop as needed. Hopefully this can get resolved at some point in the future. I see this as a win for everyone. 

On 30/10/2017 at 4:50 AM, John Jackson said:

Yes, I do have Prime and use it, but in order to access everything on hbogo, I'd have to pay for another subscription. But for now, I've been streaming hbogo from my laptop as needed. Hopefully this can get resolved at some point in the future. I see this as a win for everyone. 

I am confused, if you are using HBOGo on your laptop why can you not uses those credentials in Prime?

14 hours ago, John Jackson said:

Because Amazon won't let you. They have a deal with HBO, Showtime etc that you have to buy to get access to the full content. You cannot use your  premium channel login.

Thanks for the clarification.

I am guessing then that the same level of content is not available through the Prime app, or does a subscription through Amazon cost more than direct from HBO?  

That would more than likely depend on your cable provider.  We get HBO for free, but we pay for the other premium channels.  To subscribe to them individually, might alter your contract with your cable provider and probably be more expensive.  I've only added ACORN TV to Amazon Prime, because LG Smart TVs don't have that app.  Hope this helps.

46 minutes ago, George Hofmeister said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I am guessing then that the same level of content is not available through the Prime app, or does a subscription through Amazon cost more than direct from HBO?  

Correct. You do get access to several HBO shows, movies. I am pretty certain if you pay for the HBO "channel"  through Amazon, you get full access. But since my cable package includes HBO, I refuse to pay again. It's also interesting to note that after hbogo and other mobile apps came out, the content available from "On Demand" was drastically reduced. 

Using the official LG contact form, and importantly asking for a reply, I enquired  why there is not HBOGO app available for webOS as there was for NetCast.  A screen-shot of their reply is attached.

The short answer is that it is HBO's (or any other provider's) responsibility to create an app for webOS, and that as the consumer we should approach said provider to make our needs known.

However, LG will pass such requests through their internal structure so that the company can see what is being requested, so maybe they will then work with the content provider or possibly do it themselves.

The upshot is make your voice heard directly to both LG and any content provider you want to produce an app for webOS, and that the forum is just a forum and we cannot expect LG to read our outpourings.  If I was to submit a question again I would include the fact that I am a member of this forum and that many members have the same requests as myself.  This may then get the forum in to LG's sight-line, because who knows if they are even aware it exists. 

LG_Reply.png

• Like 1

You can use HBO GO thru Amazon Prime if you use your fire stick instead of the Amazon button on the LG remote. I had used HBO Go and Showtime previously thru the fire stick on my non smart tv at our cottage....Bought this new LG 55 inch smart web OS tv this week and realized Amazon would not give the option to sign in to my HBO Go and Showtime accts any more....Starz also.  They want me to buy an additional subscription (which is robbery imo)if I use the LG Amazon button on remote.... I do really like the voice search option with the firestick remote so I plugged it in to this new tv and was able to use my HBO Go, Starz and Showtime accts signed in thru Comcast. So still need a couple of remotes but I'm watching all my channels that I pay for at our other house. I don't see how it's legal for them to have you pay twice for premium channels when HBO advertises you can watch anywhere with their app if you have a subscription,