Quantcast

How Do I Customise the Screensaver?

Sufian Abdullah

Question

Hi all,

I have several LG webOS UH656T  installed at my office.  As part of complying to LEED certification, we mainly use it as the primary projection device, migrating from DLP Projectors previously. 

Everything works fine except the screensaver feature; is there way I could turn it off or change it with a custom wallpaper? if we can't, is there to work around it by displaying other type of images via an app perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yea ... I am not the only one with this problem .. 😲

Why cant LG allow me to connect my OLED B6D to connect to my own personal NAS at home to run my personal pictures at Random as a screen saver ! This is a very simple request .

LG are you listening .. there are a lot of people waiting for this feature .. you guys make great TV but please add these final finishing touches to make us your advertisers !

Indy

I signed up to this forum just so I could add another voice for this feature. It is so needed and the lack of response from someone official at LG is verging on the ridiculous...

On my C7V (software version 03.60.09) I have a total of four images: three of buildings in Europe and one of a tropical island. When you're competing with the likes of Chromecast to use your platform, you have to at least match their standard or best them. As a former programmer, this is a really easy feature to implement, whether to pull images from an online database or to source locally with a user's custom images. I really don't understand why it can't be done cheaply.

I like LG products but in all honesty I'm losing my faith in the company's ability to create a loyal community.

11 hours ago, Nixor said:

I signed up to this forum just so I could add another voice for this feature. It is so needed and the lack of response from someone official at LG is verging on the ridiculous...

On my C7V (software version 03.60.09) I have a total of four images: three of buildings in Europe and one of a tropical island. When you're competing with the likes of Chromecast to use your platform, you have to at least match their standard or best them. As a former programmer, this is a really easy feature to implement, whether to pull images from an online database or to source locally with a user's custom images. I really don't understand why it can't be done cheaply.

I like LG products but in all honesty I'm losing my faith in the company's ability to create a loyal community.

It should be remember that this is a user to user forum and there is not official indication that anyone from LG actually reads what gets posted here.  Listed elsewhere on the forum is a link to an official LG contact page where you can make suggestion etc.

Even if they focused on small things like adding custom screensaver images, it should be hard for them since they use the HP OS as a basic and not other more tuned OS.

IMO they did a pretty great job with the OS so far, still need to tune some stuff but I've seen worse!

• Like 1

Please,  I just created account so I could support this feature request.  I mean it is almost Jan 2018 and no sign of fix?
People are correct here, if LG's  marketing ans sales team are taking absolutely no attention to such (for many people) important feature I do not hink we should recommend their product any longer. NOT EVEN A ONE (SINGLE) OFFICIAL REPLAY?

Shame on you LG.

This is the last time I buy an LG TV.

A high-end TV that costs more than 1000 euros does not provide the minimal features that my 80 euros set-top-box provides.

What is most annoying, is the attitude of the moderators of this forum that do not even answer to such a hot thread.

1 hour ago, angdagn said:

This is the last time I buy an LG TV.

A high-end TV that costs more than 1000 euros does not provide the minimal features that my 80 euros set-top-box provides.

What is most annoying, is the attitude of the moderators of this forum that do not even answer to such a hot thread.

What exactly do you expect the forum moderators to say?

Something in the line:

We do acknowledge this feature is important to so many of our customers....
Our developers team is working on these other features.....
We are going to establish a mechanism giving the users to vote for the features they want...
You can see the timeline for next deliveries....
It is not so easy to introduce what you ask because....
We apologize, we informed the product management about this problem but they do not care....

After all the moderators represent the company in the forum.

1 hour ago, angdagn said:

Something in the line:

We do acknowledge this feature is important to so many of our customers....
Our developers team is working on these other features.....
We are going to establish a mechanism giving the users to vote for the features they want...
You can see the timeline for next deliveries....
It is not so easy to introduce what you ask because....
We apologize, we informed the product management about this problem but they do not care....

After all the moderators represent the company in the forum.

I was not aware that any of the moderators have anything to do with LG, I believed that the forum was run by webOS users for the benefit of other webOS users.   The reason I thought this was because of the legend at the top of every page that says "User to User Support Forum".

I assumed that both LG and webos are registered trademarks that cannon be used without permission from the owner...

If it is as you say, and it probably is, then it is even worse for a company like LG not to back a user forum.

In any case, thanks to the moderators, shame to LG.

This is a band aid solution and not practical or cost effective if you don't have a Chromecast or other streaming box (Roku, etc), but why not connect a Chromecast to your main input. Then you can use the Chromecast features to control the screensaver. etc. I realize this is not practical for most people, but for those of you just using the TV to project to, it would solve your issue.

It would ultimately be nice if you could just copy some pictures or use a thumb drive as the source for the screensaver images though.

On 5/24/2017 at 5:47 AM, Sufian Abdullah said:

Hi all,

I have several LG webOS UH656T  installed at my office.  As part of complying to LEED certification, we mainly use it as the primary projection device, migrating from DLP Projectors previously. 

Everything works fine except the screensaver feature; is there way I could turn it off or change it with a custom wallpaper? if we can't, is there to work around it by displaying other type of images via an app perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Well i know a work around to have an awesome screen saver , get a program called you tube downloader on your computer ,.find an awesome video like an aquarium or a kalidascope or what ever you want on youtube ,then download that video with youtube downloader put the video onto a usb storage device then just select the video to play it in a continuous loop . thats what i do i have 5 that i randomly pick and they are beautiful and work perfectly 

Made an account to post on this thread too.

The fact that you can see the photos there in the gallery app but can't delete them or add more is so aggravating! How on earth can I not perform the basic function on my $1000+ TV of customizing the wallpaper? The stock photos just bother me so much. I like to draw my own minimalistic art. I hate the look of this way over-saturated photorealistic garbage.

Worse yet, I can't even download my screenshots from the TV either, making the screenshot feature entirely useless.

WTF LG!?

Anyway, I also noticed the lack of any kind of file browser app, including on the Content Store, so I downloaded the SDK and I'm working on a simple file browser with basic copying/moving, etc. I found the USB drive mount point at /tmp/usb/sda/sda1. Unfortunately, I just can't find those stock photos or screenshots, or actually any .jpg files at all.

I SIGNED UP TO THIS FORUM... TO MAKE LG get their F* S* TOGETHER  AND PROVIDE A F* WAY TO MANUALLY REPLACE THESE F* PHOTOS!!!!!!

OR IM BYING A F SAMSUNG TV NEXT!!!!

GOOOSSSH I HONESTLY F* HATE THIS TV FOR THIS F* SHIT!!!! DRIVES ME F* CRAZY TO SEE THESE STUPID CITY PHOTOS!!!!!!!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 01.56.53.jpg

On 08/10/2017 at 3:10 PM, MichaelMM said:

Please LG, this has got to be an easy software fix to allow SHUTOFF of  your screensaver!

LG don't want users to be able to turn off the screen saver.  They look at it from the corporate point of view is that long term dis-use of a screen saver could lead to screen burn in, which could lead to law suits from disgruntled users.

12 hours ago, MichaelMM said:

George,  that is just nonsense. A blank screen does not cause burn-in. Cheers!

Yes, you are quite correct a blank screen would not cause screen burn, because by definition blank would mean no display, no pixels in the on position.   But why would you want to display a completely blank screen?  If you mean that you have a screen displaying a fixed image then yes there would be depending on the screen technology there is a potential for screen burn.  Cheers!

When I turn off my tv and set top box (Foxtel) after a while the tv restarts itself and looks for a signal. That’s when the horrible screen saver images start up. They will rotate for hours until someone turns on the set tops box to watch the tv.  Now I find these images are BURNING IN to the TV. I can see in blue coloured vision the mountains burnt into the background. I cannot turn the TV off in a way to prevent the tv restarting and showing the screensavers photos. Please help me. 

It's funny that everyone ascribes the inability to change the wallpaper selection to negligence on LG's part, but on OLEDs it serves a very specific purpose of protecting the screen. The pictures aren't randomly chosen by LG, they're intended to provide balanced coverage to all parts of the screen and all of the pixels. There is no way for the OS to vet the pictures people would choose to replace them with. Invariably some yobs would choose a single picture, probably even one with a single very bright spot like the sun or a streetlight, and use that as their only background, creating burn-in on their sets that they would invariable blame on the TV.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:39 AM, Cody k said:

It's funny that everyone ascribes the inability to change the wallpaper selection to negligence on LG's part, but on OLEDs it serves a very specific purpose of protecting the screen. The pictures aren't randomly chosen by LG, they're intended to provide balanced coverage to all parts of the screen and all of the pixels. There is no way for the OS to vet the pictures people would choose to replace them with. Invariably some yobs would choose a single picture, probably even one with a single very bright spot like the sun or a streetlight, and use that as their only background, creating burn-in on their sets that they would invariable blame on the TV.

Well, as I said a few days ago:

On 11/11/2018 at 3:15 PM, Pecacheu said:

If the issue is that the set may burn in if you put in 5 copies of the same image or something, as some have brought up, then they could simply add a disclaimer. They seem to have no problem doing so under the Screen Saver option, as you can see.

In addition, we aren't stupid. And LG needs to stop assuming we are. We are all well aware that the Rick and Morty watching geniuses over at LG HQ picked specific photos so that our OLED sets would not burn in. Unfortunately, they neglected to consider the possibility that our corneas might. I think I'm going to start seeing these wallpapers in my nightmares, if someone doesn't find a way to remove them.

14 hours ago, Cody k said:

You have been misled, check with marketing if you want to know why the photos were chosen, not engineering....