Quantcast

How can I change the screensaver pictures ???

rologoetz

Question

Hi, just bought a new LG OLED and pretty fast noticed that I`ve now chance to change the wallpapers ?!?

Really pretty strange - even the smallest smartphone offers such a feature. The TV has enough USB interfaces - why is it not able to customize this by an own set of pictures ?

Can`t be that big rocket science to implement this 😕, especially for such an expensive device this should be a standard feature !!!

Or did I  miss something in the settings of the TV ? 

• Like 3

10 answers to this question

9 hours ago, dave2336 said:

Hi Dave,

thx for your extensive answer.

1. The "wallpapers" (im assuming you mean the "no input" pictures) are for when there is no input. Customizing these images is probably not that sought after since you can view any pictures in a slideshow by selecting your usb input, which would require the same effort as choosing a defunct no-input anyway. So there would be no real user advantage.

> I don´t agree to this. I'm using my new LG OLED55B87LC without cable/sat connection just only with internet. So I've only the opportunity to get the boring "no signal" message on the screen or - if the "no input picture" is turned on in the general settings - the also boring pictures that I meanwhile found in the "art gallery" in the gallery app of the TV.  And yes, it really would be nice to exchange them with another gallery in the gallery app. I really don't understand why LG insists here on the own pictures - its really no big thing to program this. 

2. The no-input screen is typically on a timer so should only be displayed for a minute or two before the tv turns off or goes to screensaver mode. again customizing those images has little advantange.

> Unfortunately there's no entry in the general settings where I can define how long it lasts until the screen saver is started. But on my screen it lasts definitely longer than only 1 minute until it appears. As long as its not there the pictures from the gallery change.  

3. The "screensaver" is a black screen with a small image. The purpose of this is to turn off most of the lcd diodes when no input or function is being used on the tv. It would not be ideal to be able to change this since it would not do its job as a "screensaver" and would alter the tvs electrical performance

> understood and agreed - I don`t need screensavers like on the PC or Mac

4. Since most of the Tvs have little to no internal memory, all user images must be on an external device such as USB. This means the TV would be saving directories / memory references to data that could disappear at any moment. Though not particularly complicated it would be unnecessary error management and checks else the wallpapeer could be referencing non-existent memory address and crash the tv. 

> The TV system (WebOS) has to have this kind of management anyway as long as it offers e.g. the possibility to safe movies on an external hard disk, hasn't it ? Or if an external hard disk/USB stick is connected with other multimedia contents to be shown in the music app or gallery app. So This is no argument for me. 

5. LG have most likely paid rights or paid for the photography itself for it's own default images and i would assume they would like those images be displayed as it represents the "feel" > ethos or brand image the tv is trying to portray. 

> sure, they can have this images on the TV, e.g. for presentation in stores. But again said - customers are meanwhile used to customize their products everywhere. On smartphones, on computers, on other mobile devices (iPad, iWatch, etc.etc.) - this is a so called megatrend in marketing nowadays. Therefore I don`t understand why LG keeps this picture feature in the cellar and insists on customers only having their pictures on the screen. 

6. How often a user is exposed to the no input wallpapers is very little considering it is usually only while a device starts up or just after you turn something off. Comparing crappy phone wallpaper functions is not the same as you are exposed to your phones wallpaper pretty much 100% the time you use it so it is a majoer functionality. If your going to do a comparison it would be like saying you want to change the image your phone displays when starting up for 1-2 seconds and shutting down, like the "android" image. You rarely see it unless you restart your phone which most people try to avoid. Changing the main image ion a phone is comparable to being able to change the input your tv is displaying, which it can already do. 

> as said I haven't connected the TV to any cable/sat and I won't do it in future because I don't need them. I'm using other sources and therefore I get this "no signal" message pretty often (as I turned the pictures of because people always asked me "did you take them ?", "where is this ?", etc.etc. and I had to tell them : no, I don't know, they are from system, can't tell. 

And in the end the functionality of the gallery app (where I found these pictures) is strange, too. I don't understand the concept of this app. You can only upload some pictures to the TV in the "my pictures" gallery, but you cannot create another one, or sort, or remove the other galleries not used. But this might be another topic. 

why can't I upload my own pictures to the samples folder for them to be used as the 'no signal' pictures? this is bonkers wasted 3 hours trying to work out how to a) get the tv to show up as a samba share on my network and b) copy photos to the tv for them to be used as the pictures for no signal (various boxes - my Apple TV and sky box take a few secs to boot up and I'd love a random selection of my OWN photos during this time) - this is such a simple thing I can't believe you restrict me from doing it

bonkers

its this kind of thing that makes you want to hack a tv

• Like 2

It's a simple question: how can one move files from one place to another in the WebOS file system. Some users want to be able to put photo files into the internal storage (as where the sample images are kept). That shouldn't require secret knowledge, nor necessitate a page-long rebuke.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:56 PM, rologoetz said:

Hi, just bought a new LG OLED and pretty fast noticed that I`ve now chance to change the wallpapers ?!?

Really pretty strange - even the smallest smartphone offers such a feature. The TV has enough USB interfaces - why is it not able to customize this by an own set of pictures ?

Can`t be that big rocket science to implement this 😕, especially for such an expensive device this should be a standard feature !!!

Or did I  miss something in the settings of the TV ? 

You need to go to gallery, you'll find a lot of images and themes!! 

And eveb create or upload your own!! 

Agreed, this feature should be added simply. I also use the TV only as a start device with no default input.  I would love to be able to change the default background so it isn't horrid old paintings.  Its worse for me currently as, I bought the TV as a smart device only to find the 2020 TV doesnt have half the local UK tv apps due to LG messing up licensing. Basically a netflix only device.

1. The "wallpapers" (im assuming you mean the "no input" pictures) are for when there is no input. Customizing these images is probably not that sought after since you can view any pictures in a slideshow by selecting your usb input, which would require the same effort as choosing a defunct no-input anyway. So there would be no real user advantage.

2. The no-input screen is typically on a timer so should only be displayed for a minute or two before the tv turns off or goes to screensaver mode. again customizing those images has little advantange.

3. The "screensaver" is a black screen with a small image. The purpose of this is to turn off most of the lcd diodes when no input or function is being used on the tv. It would not be ideal to be able to change this since it would not do its job as a "screensaver" and would alter the tvs electrical performance.

4. Since most of the Tvs have little to no internal memory, all user images must be on an external device such as USB. This means the TV would be saving directories / memory references to data that could disappear at any moment. Though not particularly complicated it would be unnecessary error management and checks else the wallpapeer could be referencing non-existent memory address and crash the tv. 

5. LG have most likely paid rights or paid for the photography itself for it's own default images and i would assume they would like those images be displayed as it represents the "feel" ethos or brand image the tv is trying to portray. 

6. How often a user is exposed to the no input wallpapers is very little considering it is usually only while a device starts up or just after you turn something off. Comparing crappy phone wallpaper functions is not the same as you are exposed to your phones wallpaper pretty much 100% the time you use it so it is a majoer functionality. If your going to do a comparison it would be like saying you want to change the image your phone displays when starting up for 1-2 seconds and shutting down, like the "android" image. You rarely see it unless you restart your phone which most people try to avoid. Changing the main image ion a phone is comparable to being able to change the input your tv is displaying, which it can already do.