Quantcast

Screen Share with Windows 10

In my situation, running a 30 ft. HDMI cable across the conference room is not an option and wouldn't be practical.  We need the ability to meet with a client in one of three different conference rooms and have the ability to project from the laptop to the wall mounted TV/display. Today's modern office  shouldn't and doesn't require cables strewn about the place.

Also if I may add:

Be sure to disable Auto Rotate if your using a Surface Pro.  I walk around my classroom and write notes and solve math problems.  If I set the Surface down or hold it wrong it will want to rotate the screen.  If this happens the TV gets squirrelly and you may have to reconnect.  

Also as a side note I've been able to play videos pretty well across the screen share.  

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, Foodie said:

Last weekend, an MS update for Win 10 popped up on both of my machines at home. Turned out to be a major update - build 1083 if I recall.  Got me to wondering if it would have any positive affect on the office Dell Lattitude I've been having the Wi-di issue with. I ran the upgrade on the Lattitude then the Dell Support and Assist window popped up announcing driver and hardware updates - one was related to graphics - so I ran all three of those. And, like magic, Wi-di is now working flawlessly on the Lattitude. I keep going into our conference room daily to check it and it connects without issue every time. It connects to either the LG itself or the MS Wireless Display adapter connected to it - either works just fine now.

*Update: 5-27-18 - apologies to Snapdrag - did not see your post above until now. I usually get notifications of new posts.

It is fine Foodie! No worries :) But my laptop always hangs the first time that I connect it with the TV. Once I restart (actually reset the laptop) it is fine. This repeats each time I try to connect. Do you have the same problem as well?

Snapdrag:

I do not have that issue.  However, I cannot walk into our conference room with laptop in hand and powered on and connect to the LG Smart TV. The laptop doesn't "see" the TV.  I ALWAYS have to re-boot the laptop and let it discover the TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would post my experience and solution here and hope it helps some:

My quick solution (so you don't have to read all the details): Disconnect TV and PC from wifi router and let the two connect directly. Screen Share uses Miracast and it is a direct wifi connection (no router needed).

Now the long story: I was having similar issues where I couldn't connect to my new LG TV (WebOS 3.5) with Screen Sharing and an all updated Dell Windows 10 laptop. Well actually I could, it would work about 5% of the time...that's 5% not 50% so it was very frustrating and most of the time on the failures the laptop would lockup and I would have to hold the power button down to shut the machine off. After reading some of the solutions here and reading some other threads elsewhere the thing that made a light bulb go on was when I read that Miracast is a DIRECT wifi connection between both devices...No Router Needed. So like some have suggested, I disconnected my TV from the wifi router and disconnected my laptop from the wifi router and let the two devices conduct their hand shakes and whatnots directly without a network router middle man. IT WORKED!!! Once the screen sharing worked I connected both devices back to the wifi network router and all worked great (except the LG TV did not remember the wifi password and I had to re-enter it). 

Side note: I am one of the few people left in the world with a Windows 10 phone and the Continuum app on it connected 100% of the time regardless if either was connected to my wifi router or not. haha I love my windows phone, lack of apps or not it does what I need it to do...hope they follow through on the Surface phone or "Andromeda" phone or whatever it will be called.

Hope this helps some out there.

Edited by maestro0369
Error in what I wrote
  • Like 1

I want to mirror my notebook's screen into my LG TV, but I can do it only if TV is disconnected from internet. If I connect to wifi, the TV disappears from projection devices on Windows and appear only when I turn off TV's wifi connection. I've already updated my notebook drivers, made a clean install of Windows 10, review windows and router settings but I can't find what is doing this issue. My Android (LG G6) can mirror normally with TV connected or not to the wifi.

In my work, all of the notebooks running W10 (three lenovo, one samsung and one asus) can project to LG TVs (three of them but two different models) connected to the internet or not.

I'am trying to find out what it's going on here but I'm only wasting time for now.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:21 PM, maestro0369 said:

Just thought I would post my experience and solution here and hope it helps some:

My quick solution (so you don't have to read all the details): Disconnect TV and PC from wifi router and let the two connect directly. Screen Share uses Miracast and it is a direct wifi connection (no router needed).

Now the long story: I was having similar issues where I couldn't connect to my new LG TV (WebOS 3.5) with Screen Sharing and an all updated Dell Windows 10 laptop. Well actually I could, it would work about 5% of the time...that's 5% not 50% so it was very frustrating and most of the time on the failures the laptop would lockup and I would have to hold the power button down to shut the machine off. After reading some of the solutions here and reading some other threads elsewhere the thing that made a light bulb go on was when I read that Miracast is a DIRECT wifi connection between both devices...No Router Needed. So like some have suggested, I disconnected my TV from the wifi router and put my laptop into airplane mode (it turns off the wifi or you could just turn off wifi) and let the two devices conduct their hand shakes and whatnots directly without a network router middle man. IT WORKED!!! Once the screen sharing worked I connected both devices back to the wifi network router and all worked great (except the LG TV did not remember the wifi password and I had to re-enter it). 

Side note: I am one of the few people left in the world with a Windows 10 phone and the Continuum app on it connected 100% of the time regardless if either was connected to my wifi router or not. haha I love my windows phone, lack of apps or not it does what I need it to do...hope they follow through on the Surface phone or "Andromeda" phone or whatever it will be called.

Hope this helps some out there.

I tried this and it doesn't work for me. By the way, you cannot share your screen on airplane mode. You have to have the wi-fi on. Doesn't have to be connected to the internet but the wi-fi radio must be turned on.

An update from my last post - I get over the issue of the laptop hanging up its boots each time I connect to the TV by restarting the laptop before each time I connect it. This makes it work seamlessly. It is disheartening to see how all of us have been struggling for so long with this issue, wasting so much time and neither Microsoft or LG care to do anything about it!

On 7/2/2018 at 12:19 PM, Snapdrag said:

By the way, you cannot share your screen on airplane mode. You have to have the wi-fi on. 

Yes, you are correct and I was just going to make a note of the very same thing here.  Sorry for any confusion I it may have caused.

Another update: Now it lets me connect with the TV still connected to the wifi router but the laptop has to disconnected from the wifi router...this really is a head scratcher and I agree Microsoft or LG or both need to figure out what the issue is because this is completely unacceptable that so many people are struggling with this.

FWIW, I have a WIN10 64bit laptop, Lenovo Y40, with the latest WIN10 SW/Updates, (Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1803 (build 17692.1004), & my LG TV is:  

Model      OLED65B7A-U

S/N          709RMJF8xxxx

SW Version 04.71.00

webOS Version 3.7.1.57127

(dreadlocks2-drto)

Dolby Vision 1.4.4_07.01

I am able to screen share my PC with the PC connected to my RG using 2.4gHz and the LG TV connected to the same RG using 5gHz.  I use the WIN + P keys on the PC after starting  Miracast on the LG TV.  Hope this helps.  Note RG is AT&T U-Verse remote gateway with the builtin WI-FI router. 

I also have a Chromecast dongle connected which works but I am not using it for this screen share.

My pictures really pop and look great when displayed on the LG TV.

• 3 months later...

Please all people with troubles with Miracast  to read this:

link hidden, please login to view

Turn off Windows Defender for public network, and turn off all Firewalls, then you will see how Miracast work between Windows 10 and Web OS with screen share option ;)

But Miracast is not perfect with good quallity and performance.

For multimedia server, I advise you to build own file server with smb v2 and dlna,
For example Raspberry PI3 b+ connected to your router.
500 GB sata 2.5 HDD connected to usb to Raspberry PI3 b+.
Running Raspbian.
Running two servers, SMB V2 and DLNA for the same folder in 500 GB HDD.
With SMB V2 you can download torrents with network path to 500 GB HDD.
With DLNA you can play conntent of 500 GB HDD in the web os player.
I tested minidlna server and works perfect!

LG share and plex are to heavy for me I think!

Miracast you can use for browsing or working but is not good for playing multimedia.

• 1 month later...

The ONLY way I can Miracast from my Surface Pro 3 to the LG TV is for both the TV and computer be on the 2.4 GHz wifi network. It will not work if they are both on the 5 GHz wifi network, or if one is on 2.4 GHz and the other is on 5 GHz and vice versa. Not sure if it's a Surface Pro 3 issues or the LG TV issue with it not working over 5 GHz.

Word of warning: You will lose all your wifi saved networks and passwords if you uninstall and reinstall your Marvell network adapter (which did not fix anything for me).

• 5 months later...

My windows 10 laptop that once connected great wirelessley to my TV now will not.

When clicking connect from the notification center, then  clicking on my LG webOS TV I see this on the TV screen

My PC name requests screen sharing to your TV with a magenta decline button, then shows unable to connect with screen share. Try again.

on windows 10 it says:   connecting, follow any instructions on your device then in yellow it says couldn't connect

TV is hardwired ethernet and laptop is on 5GHz wifi. Same laptop and tv used to connect no problem.

@jcs @jcs I had an issue with this as well.Never had any issues connecting up until a while back where it just wouldn't connect anymore.Not sure what set up you have but click notifications icon at bottom right of PC screen, click connect then click projecting to this PC.Where it says some Windows & Android devices can project to this PC when you allow them to, click on the box below & make sure it's set to Available everywhere.Below that, it says Ask to project to this PC, click on box below & set to First time only.This worked for me, hope this helps.

14 hours ago, 1inamillion17 said:

@jcs @jcs I had an issue with this as well.Never had any issues connecting up until a while back where it just wouldn't connect anymore.Not sure what set up you have but click notifications icon at bottom right of PC screen, click connect then click projecting to this PC.Where it says some Windows & Android devices can project to this PC when you allow them to, click on the box below & make sure it's set to Available everywhere.Below that, it says Ask to project to this PC, click on box below & set to First time only.This worked for me, hope this helps.

Thanks for the advise but after following what you suggested, it still does not work. No changes either , everything is the same as my post above. Any other ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, johnnyBeGood said:

Hello

To fix it. go to network settings of tv, disconnect from the present wireless network (DO NOT DISABLE WI-FI). Now the connection should work (either through screen-share app), or from tv mode.

What about the laptop...was it still connected to the internet. I tried all the below options but none of them worked

laptop (internet connected )  & tv ( internet connected)
laptop (internet disconnected )  & tv ( internet disconnected)
laptop (internet connected )  & tv ( internet disconnected)
laptop (internet disconnected )  & tv ( internet connected)

windows os : windows 10 pro
version : 1809
os build: 17763.503

I think this works only for a lucky few

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey Everyone and thank you all for the thread and the tips! I also created the account just to say thanks and share/highlight this solution:

• Both my TV and Laptop were getting internet from the same Wi-Fi network
  • I disconnected them both from WiFi, leaving the wifi radio of both ON
  • I restarted the Laptop
  • Then clicked the PC's "New notifications" window (down right corner) and chose connect

and it worked. It seemed that Laptop the restart was crucial.

If that doesn't work you could try after the restart to click from the PC's "New notifications" window first

• Just in case you can switch on the  media streaming options from the windows menu 
     as per
  • Project and then choose duplicate or extend
  • and then the "Connect" or the "Connect to a wireless display"

Hope this helps and much luck to all of you! After all I'd prefer HDMI if possible as strangely the connection seemed a bit sluggish.

Cheers and good luck again :)

• Like 1

I have been able to connect several times BUT not always reliably and it is frustrating.  I have the latest WIN 10 with all of the updates.  I also have a very reliable connection method using Chromecast which is a dongle installed on one of the TVs HDMI ports, HDMI1 in my setup.  Using Chromecast I cast, (using Chrome), the desktop of the PC to the TV and the TV then mirrors what is displayed on the PC, laptop.  The only problem is I have to deselect the HDMI1 port and reconnect the TV using the TV remote when I am done casting.  I did find that if I SW the PC between the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz or vice versa that the TV would connect SOMETIMES but not always.  I set the LG TV for Miracast.

I would suggest that folks use this method which I find reliable until LG gets a fix for the WI-FI connect problem.  

Another advantage of the Chromecast dongle is that I can quickly switch back & forth between the LG TV Cable box and the HDMI1, (my Cast dongle is on HDMI1), port for my PC laptop by using the LG TV remote.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Can screen share when I first got my Microsoft surface book with my LG OLED TV, once he windows 10 got updated on my MS Book,  I started to have flickering issue I could not fix it. I have tried uninstalling display driver as per one of the Microsoft post but still no luck.

LG may have to update their firmware to be compatible with Windows 10. Please suggest If anyone has got a fix for this issue.

thank you in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 5:05 AM, 1inamillion17 said:

Thank you very much for this. Been trying everything for about a week.  It worked like a charm

• 1 month later...

What worked for me . disconnect  wifi from tv. 

on computer go to ( connect to a wireless device ) option    ---->>>>>> select tv.

tv may show a request and decline option.(do not click)

on computer click on (FN) ON KEYBOARD AND F8 THE SAME TIME NOW CHOOSE PROJECTED SCREEN TO TV.(EXAMPLE EXTEND, DUPLICATE ECT. 

HOW THIS HELPED AND STR8 FORWARD . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Maybe i didn't try all methods posted here and in internet but when i'm trying to connect i get message can't connect on Windows 10  laptop via miracast.

TV says that laptop is trying to connect then exit to the tv channel and saying about failure to connect or smart share app can't run. I think i do everything correct.

I have LG 8600PLA with latest firmware.

With android i have password requirements when i want to connect to tv. In this situation tv don't give any message.