Quantcast

TV Guide / Single Tuner

Ewen

Having had a few weeks to adjust to the 50LB6500 the slowness of the interface at startup and when pulling down the TV Guide is very frustrating. A single tuner in this model is a serious obstacle to usability. When you first turn on a TV the thing you most want to access is the guide, and you have to wait ages just to get the WebOS interface running, then wait even longer to see anything useful on the TV Guide.

One thing that would make the TV Guide more useful is a function to scan through the channels and grab the broadcast information. The current implementation of the App makes you do this manually. That's not really a Smart TV, it's a Lazy TV. Can't you do better with the guide LG?

E

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the guide is pulled down EVERY time the tv launches? That's crazy, why not have a small local DB where you store the guide data (where does it come from anyway, is it embedded or from LG locally?) and then update it like every night? I can really understand that it is slow if it has to load all guide data every single time you start the TV.

I am also running Windows Media Center here at home, and there you can have combined guide data, e.g. where no guide data exists from the XML feed from Microsoft, the app is getting the guide data from the DVB-T feed itself, and that is SLOW. Takes about 10 seconds or something. 

Most sett op boxes also take the guide data from the DVB-stream, and I have never experienced them being so slow... I wonder what the problem is with WebOS?

Do report this to LG!

/H

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      Build Your First App for webOS TV
      Web apps are written using HTML with copious amounts of CSS and JavaScript for style and functionality. Any modern Web browser can deliver this type of apps to the user.  With webOS TV, web apps are elevated to the lofty title of a first class citizen - web apps on webOS TV are given access to the same hardware, and OS features that typically available to native apps.

Web apps built for webOS TV are very similar to standard web apps. Like the standard web applications, you can create web apps for webOS TV using standards based web technologies like HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. Anyone with experience in building web applications can easily start developing web apps for webOS TV.

Now, just create your app using the CLI.
      Run the webOS TV CLI.

Create new app with Enyo bootplate.
      ares-generate -t moonstone-2014 first-app Now you can continue developing and testing your app.

Edit ./first-app/appinfo.json file. Update "id" and "title" properties in appinfo.json file with text editor as below.
      {
          "id": "com.yourdomain.app.firstapp",
          "version": "0.0.1",
          "vendor": "My Company",
          "type": "web",
          "main": "index.html",
          "title": "singlepane",
          "icon": "icon.png",
      }

Package your app from app directory. If app is packaged successfully, you can see the created .ipk file.
      ares-package first-app  
      Run the webOS TV Emulator.

Install your app to emulator. Be sure to use the correct file name for your package.
      ares-install com.yourdomain.app.firstapp_0.0.1_all.ipk  
      Launch your app on emulator.
      ares-launch com.yourdomain.app.firstapp
    • By Tanni
      My Lg TV which has the smart functions and magic remote is playing up. 
      I often use web browser or you tube or similar apps to watch videos etc. 
      Recently however, it keeps crashing and displays a message to the effect that the memory in the app is low or it need to close to free up more memory? 
      My TV is less then 2 years old and is doing this. I love the telly and the smart features especially the web browser function, however this recent issue is making me think about the longevity of such LG smart TVs and whether I should've spent a few hundred more and got another telly. 

Please can someone advise what I can do to fix this as it takes away the whole point of smart TV. 
      Thanks 
    • By ReproDev
      link hidden, please login to view This guide should help you downgrade the software on your LG TV so you can get root if you've updated to 3.30.10 like I did.
      I've tried to include as much information as I can and there are 3 methods to choose from on the GitHub
      This has been tested and confirmed to downgrade on an LG 43 Inch TV 2021 Model - LG-43UP75006LF from Software Version 3.30.10 to 3.21.30 but should work on other LG TV models too with the relevant firmware for that TV.
      Hope this helps and let me know if you've tried it
    • By Pauldog00
      Hey all,
      Ive had an issue with the YoutubeTV app for months now and I cant seem to figure out a way to fix the issue.  Even YoutubeTV support has no idea.  Has anyone had the issue where they start up the YouTube TV app on their TV and the live guide lists shows for when they last powered down the TV?  For example....  Say I watched TV the night before and turned off the TV at 9pm.  (fully close the app and shut off the TV).  Then say at 6:30am I turn on the TV, start up the YoutubeTV app and when I go to the live guide it lists the shows at the 9pm hour from the previous night.  Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to fix it?  Its almost like its holding on to cached memory but there is no way to clear the app cache.  YoutubeTV claims that every time the TV is turned on/off that's when it clears the cache but that obviously isn't happening with the YoutubeTV  app.  The work around for now is re-closing the YoutubeTV app and opening it up again.  When I restart the app then  the live guide refreshes with the current time.
      Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By Eblermeister
      I have a Sonos Arc, which is connected to my LG TV (lg65nano956na) using eARC. I have Google Assistant setup on the ARC, and everything is working fine. I am able to ask Google Assistant to Turn ON or OFF the TV, using voice commands - where Google Assistant then uses the Sonos TV Control Integration to execute the command, as my TV itself does not appear as a smart device in the Google Home app.

I am however facing one isse, that if the TV is already “OFF” and Google Assistant is asked to turn it “OFF”, then it turns ON. This in itself is not an issue (as it does not make sense to do).

The problem arrives when I use the “Turn OFF everything” command, to turn OFF all my smart devices. In this case, all my smart devices turn OFF, including my TV.. unless the TV is already “OFF”, in which case Sonos TV Control turns it back on.
      I posted the above on the Sonos forum, and they suggested that it seems the CEC command acts like a toggle Switch , which is why it does not differentiate between ON/OFF commands. 

Question is if there is a way to change how the TV reacts to the commands? 
      Thanks.
  • Similar Tagged Content