Quantcast

TV Guide / Single Tuner

Ewen

Having had a few weeks to adjust to the 50LB6500 the slowness of the interface at startup and when pulling down the TV Guide is very frustrating. A single tuner in this model is a serious obstacle to usability. When you first turn on a TV the thing you most want to access is the guide, and you have to wait ages just to get the WebOS interface running, then wait even longer to see anything useful on the TV Guide.

One thing that would make the TV Guide more useful is a function to scan through the channels and grab the broadcast information. The current implementation of the App makes you do this manually. That's not really a Smart TV, it's a Lazy TV. Can't you do better with the guide LG?

E

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the guide is pulled down EVERY time the tv launches? That's crazy, why not have a small local DB where you store the guide data (where does it come from anyway, is it embedded or from LG locally?) and then update it like every night? I can really understand that it is slow if it has to load all guide data every single time you start the TV.

I am also running Windows Media Center here at home, and there you can have combined guide data, e.g. where no guide data exists from the XML feed from Microsoft, the app is getting the guide data from the DVB-T feed itself, and that is SLOW. Takes about 10 seconds or something. 

Most sett op boxes also take the guide data from the DVB-stream, and I have never experienced them being so slow... I wonder what the problem is with WebOS?

Do report this to LG!

/H

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Coppertop
      When I retune my TV it looses channels and instead of starting at Chanel 1 it starts at Chanel 11.
      Retuning on dtv aerial 
      Aerial is fine on rest of my tvs
    • By Nick Payne
      I can stream ABC content using either the iView app on our LG G1 65" OLED, or via the iView Android TV app that is installed on a Chromecast with Google TV that is plugged into one of the G1 HDMI ports. If I stream content using the app on the TV, every few minutes there's a momentary (fraction of a second) interruption to both sound and video. If I stream the same content using the app on the Chromecast, I get no such interruptions. Both TV and Chromecast are using wired Ethernet connections to the same switch, so I can't see that these interruptions are due to a network problem, or I'd see them on both devices. It would seem to be a problem with the app provided on the TV. Other streaming services that we access via apps on the TV (Netflix, Stan, Amazon Prime, etc) do not show the same problem.
    • By Alley Cat
      I am currently using this TV only to view internet content.  I am using the built-in wifi and ethernet connections.  But the TV starts up into maximally loud static every time and I haven't found a way around this.  Just about anything else would be better.  It could autodetect and mute the static.  Or it could start into the Apps screen.  Or it could start into my preferred app.  Or it could just start into a blank screen.  Whatever.  Just not loud, loud static.
      I read someone was able to set parental controls to get rid of the cable channels so it didn't start into static but that didn't work for me -- I deleted and locked all static channels but it still starts up into one of them.
      I guess more people have had success giving it an HDMI input and setting that as default -- I can't find the menu item to do that, maybe I need to actually connect an HDMI input? I don't have one readily available.  It seems silly to spend money on an extra streaming box to mostly do things that are built into my $900 TV, because it was designed to blast static on my speakers every time it starts up.
      So -- are there any other possibilities to solve this problem? 
    • By Gra27
      Hi, A couple of issues with the new TV:
      When using the magic remote that came with the TV, the mute function (mainly to silence commercials) only lasts for about 45 seconds;
      also there is a constant sound drop out every couple of minutes, it only lasts for a second but is annoying.
      The TV has the latest software
      I am using external speakers (Kef LS 50 wireless 2) connected via eARC HDMI cable (Audioquest),
      Simplink in ON.
      Wondering if anyone has these issues with either LG or Kef
      Thanks
      Graham
    • By Rhazz
      Can someone help.. I just purchased a 55" LG tv and its so frustrating.  55UM69 model.  I have no set top box... I do streaming with YoutubeTV. I have the app installed but when the TV starts it will NOT restart using the last mode I used nor can I access the my app from the input buttons....  Every time I start my TV I get a poltergeist/all hash screen..  How on earth can I make this TV stop going to an input I dont have and/or automatically load up my YouTubeTV app uponn tv start.   With all the cord cutters why would they overlook this problem. Why can't I set the default startup mode or app??   Please help before I return this TV as I can't be dealing with this every day.
  • Similar Tagged Content