Quantcast

Slow Programme Guide

Den C

Question

LG50UK6950. The programme guide is slow to load, and has to re-load for each page. My previous LG tv (a 49UK.....) was the same.

Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony are almost instantaneous.

Is this a hardware problem, eg lack of memory, or software - in which case is it ever going to be fixed?

18 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Den C said:

LG50UK6950. The programme guide is slow to load, and has to re-load for each page. My previous LG tv (a 49UK.....) was the same.

Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony are almost instantaneous.

Is this a hardware problem, eg lack of memory, or software - in which case is it ever going to be fixed?

I have the UK6400plf and it's the same as yours. Freeview play uses the internet connection but mine is 56mbs so can't understand why it's so slow too! As you say, reloading with each page....what a drag!

On 11/24/2019 at 10:01 PM, Tinks said:

I have the UK6400plf and it's the same as yours. Freeview play uses the internet connection but mine is 56mbs so can't understand why it's so slow too! As you say, reloading with each page....what a drag!

I have a 350Mbps internet connection and suffer the same issue with my new 55UM7660PLA .  I never had an issue with lag with my old Samsung smarttv.   The lag is unbearable  so I will send back - shame as I love the TV but having such a slow TV program interface is a deal breaker.

Just bought an LG 55SM9010PLA as I was told by various people it was a great TV. The picture may be good but I find the programme guide absolutely useless taking a couple of seconds to load and when using page down or up I get a blank page for a couple of seconds. My old Samsung was instant so what's with this awful lag. It's nothing to do with the internet connection as it's just the same if I disconnect the internet, They've put plenty of useless things in like the annoying red pointer on the magic remote but can't get the basic stuff right - it's like going back in time, even before my ancient Samsung. Unfortunately I also bought a 24 inch for the bedroom at the same time and this is just as bad. I always said in the past I would stick with Samsung and I really wish I had.

I doubt it is ever going to be fixed. I asked a techie this and he reckons they are using JAVA as a programming language.  They'd have to re-code the entire thing to make it work properly.

With every system update (got one today) I am thinking "I hope this fixes the 'loading' message ".   Nope!

Even Kodi has a much better guide - it is very fluid and you can scroll 12 days in advance or back with NO LAG or loading.

Has anyone from LG actually bothered to get back to this issue? 

Just a response along the lines of "We are aware it is an issue but because of the way it is coded, we cannot change it" OR " We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix to be deployed xxx date".

It's the lack of response that is the worst of all. 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:13 AM, adeski said:

I doubt it is ever going to be fixed. I asked a techie this and he reckons they are using JAVA as a programming language.  They'd have to re-code the entire thing to make it work properly.

With every system update (got one today) I am thinking "I hope this fixes the 'loading' message ".   Nope!

Even Kodi has a much better guide - it is very fluid and you can scroll 12 days in advance or back with NO LAG or loading.

Has anyone from LG actually bothered to get back to this issue? 

Just a response along the lines of "We are aware it is an issue but because of the way it is coded, we cannot change it" OR " We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix to be deployed xxx date".

It's the lack of response that is the worst of all. 

I see no one from LG has the couteousy to even bother to answer this issue . Won't be buying an  LG TV again. Zero customer service. Plus, this forum is full of spam ads. The whole experience sucks. I have complained to Which magazine, the consumer guardians, so that they factor this poor customer experience in when they review LG TV's in future.

• Thanks 1

I'd have thought recoding the programme guide would not be a major job for the world's largest TV manufacturer.

Anyway I got rid of my LG and bought a set from it's biggest competitor.  Instantaneous programme guide.

To be fair to LG it has a far better signal diagnostic. The competitor only shows "signal quality" whereas the LG diagnostic shows signal strength as well. It also shows a list of the TV channels on each Mux . Good signal diagnostics are essential for pointing your aerial, especially in weak signal locations.

I also complained to Which, who consistently rates this TV as a best-buy. It has actually mentioned the slow programme guide for some sets, but it doesn't reduce the number of 'stars'. They said they would pass my complaint on to the reviewing team, but no change in recent ratings.

• Thanks 1

I am really disaapointed to read that this is a long standing problem that LG are clearly aware of.  I had hoped to find a quick solution to fix a basic feature of the TV.  I think I will do the same as Den C and share my views with Which as I was influened by their review in making  my choice of TV,  which made no mention of this frustrating flaw

Me neither. My old (pretty ancient and not smart) Samsung was instant with the EPG and the picture quality on HD channels was excellent. Only chose LG as I thought Freeview Play would be a good idea but that is pretty [email protected] too, it's far easier to use the catchup apps. Luckily I paid far less than you but still too much to replace it.

My old Non Smart Panasonic had a brilliant TV guide, instant, seems technology has eve added LG in certain areas, thank God the picture is awesome.....wish it had an option to save the TV picture / Audio setting like it does with channel favourites , think there are 14 save slots for this....crazy or what

On 11/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, Den C said:

The slowness is so bad we have grown to adapt by saying we are going to warm the tv up, which implies turning the tv on,  moving to the right a few apps and launching youtube tv. That sequence takes about 2 minutes. I will never buy another LG tv again. How did this every get through  quality control?

It’s a real pity, great picture, crap TV, had this just over a year and the writing is coming off the remote control, LG do t want to know, took out 6 year cover with richer sounds, but they only cover if it’s broken, class it as an accessory , ACCESSORY Not Amy more, you can’t operate the TV without one.....expensive mistake. None of the reviews mentioned the slow EPG.... 

I found mine got really slow a few months back. Before that it was just slow (few seconds per page), now it’s as much as a minute. 
It’s a great TG otherwise and I rarely watch anything off live Freeview anyway but still bewildering why it’s so appallingly poorly designed. My other TVs are more or less instant on the epg. 

On 4/24/2021 at 9:41 PM, Adrian M said:

I found mine got really slow a few months back. Before that it was just slow (few seconds per page), now it’s as much as a minute. 
It’s a great TG otherwise and I rarely watch anything off live Freeview anyway but still bewildering why it’s so appallingly poorly designed. My other TVs are more or less instant on the epg. 

Exactly  this, I will never buy another LG TV.

I wonder what it will take for @LGElectronics to care enough to fix this?