Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

ciponne

Audio language and external subtitles on WebOS

Question

Hi all!

I have a LG 42LB630V, with the latest firmware installed.

I want to know if it is possible to change the audio language, for a mkv file that has more than an audio language and how to add external subtitles. Those embeded in mkv files are running ok.

Thank you, 

Cipria

29 answers to this question

But what about choosing audio language, i am quite disappointed, i have old Panasonic led TV that gives you option to chose one of the multiple audio and on modern Lg webos there is no choosing!

The issue with subs occurs when I stream from local network, not from a hdd connected directly on TV.

Maybe your DLNA server is not configured correctly or doesn't support external subtitles. What software are you using?

I am using hdd didn't even tested subs (audio more important for me), but you cant chose audio out of multiple languages it uses the first set audio language by default!!

@beredim: I'm using the latest version of Plex media server with DLNA on a ZyXEL NSA 310. I had no issue before with a XBMC installed on Raspberry Pi.

@beredim: I'm using the latest version of Plex media server with DLNA on a ZyXEL NSA 310. I had no issue before with a XBMC installed on Raspberry Pi.

Reading this ,

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/66801-dlna-support-for-subtitles/

it would seem Plex is not able to stream external subs over DLNA.

Try installing serviio on your pc and serving some files wth external subtitles from your pc. If you get subtitle playback with this setup it will confirm it's a problem with the plex server and not the tv.

Mezzmo works perfectly with internal and external subtitles (*.srt and *.ass)  and different audio language at LB670V WebOS.

Please explain how do you get to the option to change audio language of a movie streemed from HDD

Please explain how do you get to the option to change audio language of a movie streemed from HDD

1) Play your movie

2) In the Pause menu click on the little arrow on the right hand side.

3) Click on the button that says 'audio track'

4) Select audio track number from 1-8, if is available in *.mkv course.

• Like 1

I gave up! I've tried two more DLNA servers : twonky and rygel. The result is the same : no external subtitle enabled. On my Nexus 4 I can render mkv files with subs with no issue, using twonky, plex and rygel. Maybe this TV model can't handle external subs using DLNA.

Update : right after the prevoius post, I've installed on my Nexus 4 an app named BUBBLEUPNP. Using this I was able to play mkv files with subs on my LG tv, from all previous servers, except plex.

@ ciponne

Thank you for the great suggestion. I installed the PC services of Bubble UPNP and now with Serviio I have external and internal subtitles. Not all the files show internal subtitles but external works great.

Discussion on webOS nation:
link: http://forums.webosnation.com/lg-webos-tv/329432-issue-unrecognized-subtitles-smartshare-streaming-wi-fi-webos.html

What I have discovered so far:

The first time I've configured DLNA over LG smart share (native TV LG software) I didn't really know what I was doing.

Well, Windows has it's own DLNA media server, which is a derivative of "windows media player", called "windows media server" I guess... I don't know how, but I've shared/configured my media over the windows media server. (So, in my computer, windows media server was configured. The TV uses "SmartShare" natively, of course).

I was never able to activate the subtitles, so I searched for alternatives...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdo4ubm768...erver.png?dl=0
imagine showing the subs icon dimmend, with no options:

1. LG provides it's owns DLNA software for PC called "SmartShare", same native name of the DLNA software used in the TV.
"SmartShare" for PC is the most friendly interface of all, but doesn't stream the subs as well...

2. There are a second alternative named "Media link" (name shown only in the site), which is actually the "plex media server". (Rebranded)

I wasn't able to properly set the "plex media server", found it too difficult...does it stream the subs?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tyrq8hj25...%20LG.png?dl=0
on the left the "DNLA certified" is the "smartshare". in the middle, the "Media Link" is the "Plex"

And so far, I have tried others DLNA servers

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8mp9wroh0...share.jpg?dl=0
some of the PC media servers installed, including "smartshare"

3. "universal media server":
didn't work

4. "Nero media home 4 essentials":
Supposed to be able of playing simultaneously the video and the subs... Information given by the own LG in a support guide... Didn't work

5. "Serviio":
Has all the options, including hardsubs (burned-in subs). Both didn't work.

Best achievement so far:

6. "PS3 media server":
It shows the subs (burned-in method), but the sound was off and the imagine was periodically frozen, probably because of the hardware highly demands on "printing" the sentences in the frames...

I'll keep trying. if anyone has the same problem, please, tell here... so I'll know I'm not the only one frown.gif

Gabriel, my setup is a 42LB630V TV set and a NSA310 NAS which runs Plex server and Twonky media server. If I browse for video (movies) from Smart Share app (from TV) the subtitles are not loaded. Instead I'm using Bubble UNPN on my smartphone: I'm browsing for files and send the video playback to LG TV. On this manner the subtitles are loaded. As an observation, this happens only for external subs.

Hi,

I have 42LB607V and I'm using Twonky Media server (version 7.2.8) on my NAS. After proper setting of Twonky TV displays external subtitles (srt same name as movie). 

I think that following work only in Twonky version 7 and higher.

Try these settings:

- In Twonky go to Settings - Sharing - Media Recievers. There is a list of all devices on same net TV,PC

- Change "Media Reciever Type" on the line with IP of the TV to "LG DLNA DMR".

- Restart Twonky and open SmartShare app on your TV. Subtitles should load automaticly upon playing video.

Can't switch audio even though it works on my LG Blu-ray player that uses old LG interface.

Hi my setup is a LG 65UB9500 Smart TV and a WD My Cloud 4TB for storing movies (mp4 and mkv with srt subtitles). Files are downloaded with Macbook Pro and then moved to My Cloud  Movies-->NameOfMovie subfolder.  I realized sometimes when I browse from Smart Share app (from TV) and play the movie, SRT subtitles are NOT recognized even if they are in the same subfolder and it has the same name of the mp4 or mkv file. After many tries changing special characters of filename like dots, dashes, etc. nothing happened BUT then luckily I found a solution which always works for me.

When subtitles are not recognized (SUB icon grayed out in Smart Share Player) I stop the movie, browse one folder back and from my Mac I simply rename the folder where the movie and subtitles are contained ( just renaming for example from Movie.2014.x264 to Movie2014.x264 .......note first dot removed ) then browsing again from Smart Share app (from TV) (may take a couples times to browse back and forward to refresh folders names) when the new name of the folder is shown I select the folder and then select the movie again and now SUB icon is enabled and subtitles are shown correctly.

Note that I If rename the folder again to its original name (from Movie2014.x264..... to Movie.2014.x264 (adding the first dot again) , subtitles keep working correctly.

By the way one thing I couldn't do is select different audio tracks from files with multiple audio (language) tracks (AUDIO icon is disabled in Smart Share Player). I guess is because Smart Share is accessing files using DLNA.

The only solution I found quick and simple is removing unused audio tracks from file (mkv) with MVKToolNix for MAC.

I Hope this solution works for somebody with same setup or even with different setup

Hello there. I have a problem: external subtitles do not work through minidlna (aka ReadyMedia) server (commonly used on routers). Some people say that it may be connected with the headers of the request from LGTV to DLNA (the last raises an exception). Can this issues be fixed. Are there any workarounds (except merging subtitles into mkv container)?

Thanks.

After latest update to version 05.00.15 (1.4.0.-2507) switching of audio tracks in smartshare is working!! (at least with Twonky Media server (version 7.2.8) on my NAS)

[..]

5. "Serviio":

Has all the options, including hardsubs (burned-in subs). Both didn't work.

I tried several different servers including Plex but Serviio was the only one working all the time. But you really need to rename the subtitle file to exactly the same name as the movie.

The only thing bugging me is the fact that Serviio can not generate high quality images for the on screen menu.