Quantcast

WebOS vs Old SmartTV's Menu

Back for news. 

I update the FW version by changing the regional settings. So i set it in UK as Beredim suggest and now LG Store is open but most of the apps are not available yet for some reason. 

I also try to fix the subtitles' bug and i change the .srt file from ANSI to UTF-8 format.

Things looks better now but it doesn't display greek fonts all the time. By that i mean that during playback 4 out of 5 subs are correct and 1 is displayed as ^@HJ@))_KS*@H ...... 

I'll call the guys at LG Hellas to see if i can find another solution and i'll be back in few minutes.

Back for news. 

I update the FW version by changing the regional settings. So i set it in UK as Beredim suggest and now LG Store is open but most of the apps are not available yet for some reason. 

I also try to fix the subtitles' bug and i change the .srt file from ANSI to UTF-8 format.

Things looks better now but it doesn't display greek fonts all the time. By that i mean that during playback 4 out of 5 subs are correct and 1 is displayed as ^@HJ@))_KS*@H ...... 

I'll call the guys at LG Hellas to see if i can find another solution and i'll be back in few minutes.

Check the last image from my previous post. Change "Προεπιλογή" to the first option under it and your utf-8 subtitles will display 100% correctly (You need to do that every time you start watching a movie unfortunately)

• 2 weeks later...

So I have VERY good news. I managed to fix the issue with the help from LG Hellas! There is a very nicely hidden menu in WebOS which allows you to change the encoding of the subtitles. Steps:

1) Play your movie

2) When you see weird characters appears with your subtitles hit Pause.

3) In the Pause menu click on the little arrow on the right hand side.

4) Click on the button that says 'Sub'

5) Click on External

6) There is the hidden menu!

7) Select Code Page

8) Here is the bug. Try Greek first. It didn't fully work for me. Some characters still appeared like chinese. The solution for now is to select Simplified Chinese. That did the trick for me all characters appeared fine after that.

LG told me that they are going to look into the issue because Greek should work. Hopefully that solves the issue!

WTF????

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Realy??????

Well, i'll try it later and i'll let you know if it works for me too.

p.s: Do i have to do the same thing every time i play a movie??????

I'm not sure I haven't tried another movie yet.. Possibly..

Yes you have to do this every time you play a movie (at least that's my experience). In my case I don't have to select Simplified Chinese. The first available option after the default does the trick for me. Just check my screenshots a few posts back.

So i'm also expierencing trouble with subs on 42LB650V-ZN with latest updates available in Latvia. It doesn't change a thing when external .srt's are encoded in utf8 or not. Tried to change encoding on TV  to any of offered, but it only changes the kind of gibberish symbol displayed. but the strangest thing is that only some symbols of latvian aren't shown correctly but it makes me mad :D

Hi, 

I did another trick and it worked for at least to .mp4 files with .srt.

I first change it to "Simplified Chinese" as they suggest in a previews post but nothing happend, no subs at all. Then i change it to Greek again and subs played without problems during the whole film. 

Of course, even with this trick the WebOS doesn't recognise italic or bold fonts, that means that if an .srt file has italic fonts it will be displayed as <i>bla bla bla</i> and of course it goes the same with the colours for example "<font color=#FF0000>w</font>" will appear on TV instead of changing the font's colour.

Today I will send the link of this thread to LG Hellas and let 'em read it all and maybe then they will understand that this is a very common bug that they have to fix immediately!!!

Update completed fine for my 42LB650V

New firmware is 03.23.17 (from 03.23.08)
and webOs version has been updated to 1.2.0-2717 (from 1.2.0-2708).

I haven't been able to find out any release notes either. Looking at the version numbers I suspect this version probably contains only a few bug fixes.

Hi, 

I download the new firmware but the news are bad. 

Things wtih subs are still the same.

So they haven't fix the problem, instead they create a new one. 

With the previous update i had access to apps & games. OK the list wasn't as big as the in the pre-webos menu, but it had few things to check and see. 

Now, when i try to go to apps & games a message comes up that says something like "The page has nothing show" (or something similar, i don't remember it exactly).

BUT, when you click on "search" and you type for example "facebook" the app shows up straight away. I also typed "weather" and few apps  showed in the list that they weren't at the "Premium" menu. 

Please tell me if you experience the same problems as I do. 

Hi guys,

I'm using 42LB650V-ZN with Twonky Media Server running on WD MBL.

Problem is that external subtitles are not shown at all from DLNA/Smart Share, and the sub menu is just grayed out.

Internal ones are recognized but not showed correctly. I'm talking about English subs, where apostrophe sign ' is replaced with something like %apos.

Do you some thought on this matter? Especially for the external ones.

1)  "'" is shown instead of apostrophe on both USB and DLNA. I tried all changing the code page but it's all the same. This is for English subs, and for other languages special signs are also show with some strange characters.

2) external subs work on USB but on DLNA don't work at all. I read somewhere that external subs didn't work on LG 2013 series, but that they do work on 2014, but now I can't find that source.

I have WD TV Live and used it with previous non-smart samsung and that worked like a charm. I bought lg tv with webos to make things simpler and get rid of many devices and remotes. I hope they will fix this with some update, otherwise I will have to get back to old setup.

@williamsat, what do you mean not that bad? does any of this that i mentioned work for you?

Btw, TV is running on latest software 03.23.17 - 1.2.0-2717.

• 2 weeks later...

I could fix the problem with incorrect displaying subtitles. Changed the encoding in * srt file from UTF-8 to ANSI.

Then use this guide. In point 7 i have chosen the code page which are made ​​subtitles. For me it's cyrillic code page 1251.

Good Luck!

PS TV is 42LB670V

• Like 1

Sorry to say but webos is quite shity OS - i had good opinion about it while watching presentation but once i have it (55LB671V) i am so disappointed,The many is not fast at all as on presentation, many things do not function all in all bad!

I could fix the problem with incorrect displaying subtitles. Changed the encoding in * srt file from UTF-8 to ANSI.

Then use this guide. In point 7 i have chosen the code page which are made ​​subtitles. For me it's cyrillic code page 1251.

Good Luck!

PS TV is 42LB670V

i cannot get it to work on my 42LB650V.... i still cannot watch a mkv movie with gr subs displayed correctly... :(

Sorry to say but webos is quite shity OS - i had good opinion about it while watching presentation but once i have it (55LB671V) i am so disappointed,The many is not fast at all as on presentation, many things do not function all in all bad!

sadly, i tend to agree with you... i cannot even get the market to work!!! it says it is not available in my country yet. and do not get me started about the greek subtitles encoding!!! i am SO disappointed... :(

i cannot get it to work on my 42LB650V.... i still cannot watch a mkv movie with gr subs displayed correctly... :(

7441660L.png

7441663e.png

7441696b.jpg

7441698c.jpg

A problem potentially arises, if in *.mkv files have been embedded others subtitles in another language.

You need to remove them.

7441678l.png

• Like 1