Quantcast

C9 Update - 05.10.04 - Can no longer connect to Dolby

You may want to check this user post in the AVSFORUM:  

link hidden, please login to view

He said in a previous post LG is aware of the issues and is testing a fix now:  

The above user is credible.

FWIW:  When we started up our ATV4 > Denon > LG C9 system last night we were offered an update to an older Denon AVR-X3300W.   Firmware Version:  8700-4058-9140.  I updated to that version.  There was no information as to what was in it.  I suspect this is Denon's fix on their side.

Waiting now for LG's fix.

44 minutes ago, RobNBill said:

Hi - Is your Sony output Dolby?

Yep, Dolby Vision, that is why it was notable to me.  Basically some places Dolby Vision is fine (my UHD player) and some not fine (Apple TV 4K).  

have not tried a disc in my PS5 or XSX, will try that later.

29 minutes ago, Gfeltner78 said:

Yep, Dolby Vision, that is why it was notable to me.  Basically some places Dolby Vision is fine (my UHD player) and some not fine (Apple TV 4K).  

have not tried a disc in my PS5 or XSX, will try that later.

If I connect directly from the ATV4 to the LG - DV works fine.  Also, if I connect thru the Denon when it is in standby (Apple video is set as a pass thru to LG) DV works fine.  It's only when the Denon is on do I have an issue.

Rebooting ATV does not fix it. Look at your ATV video settings I be it is not set to DV.

I will say that the TV somehow switches to DV only when you watch DV formatted movies. Hulu an other non-DV content still looks like crap. Too dark and when you set it to Vivid it’s bright but distorted.

I updated my firmware to 5.10.04 on my 77C9 and now whenever I play Dolby Vision content on Netflix or HBO Max on my Nvidia Shield (2019) it is cycling between black screen and the image showing with the Dolby vision logo from the tv staying on. Connected through Denon x7200WA and was working fine for 17 months without an issue until their crappy software. As soon as they fix this I disconnect the TV from Internet as I only use it as a monitor.

I updated my firmware to 5.10.04 and now whenever I play Dolby Vision content on Netflix or HBO Max on my Nvidia Shield (2019) it it cycling between black screen and the image showing with the Dolby vision logo from the tv staying on. Denon x7200WA.

Who and how did they test this before rolling it out?  I knees I should, have gone with Sony. When they fix this I disconnect TV from Internet since I only use it as a monitor. I have automatic update disable, but they nag you every day to load the new version. 

For the folks that have a TV & AVR with both supporting eARC, connecting to the TV continues to provide lossless audio pass through to the AVR and of course DV.

I’m currently watching Nobody via Plex, which the audio is Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos. My Denon X3600H is playing it without any issues.

Edit: I'm using the NVIDIA Shield 2019 Pro.

Edited by legends92
Added device info.

Rebooting ATV does not fix it. Look at your ATV video settings I be it is not set to DV.
I will say that the TV somehow switches to DV only when you watch DV formatted movies. Hulu an other non-DV content still looks like crap. Too dark and when you set it to Vivid it’s bright but distorted.

I’ve definitely got it set to Dolby Vision in the settings on Atv 4k (2021 box). And showing in the LG c9 picture settings as Dolby vision too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rebooting ATV fixes nothing of course, that's probably one of the first step people will take.

Last night, I got the black screen once... in HDR after 2 hours. So the problem also exists to some extent in HDR. Dolby Vision being 1000 times worse of course. I have a Denon AVR.

Hello, Michael! 

Thank you for your feedback regarding the latest software update of your LG TV. We will forward this issue to our developers for the possibility of releasing another update that can fix this issue. 
Meanwhile, you can reset the TV. Resetting the TV will erase its internal data and restore it back to factory default. Go to Settings > All Settings > General/Support > Reset to Initial Settings. 

I hope this has been of some assistance. 

LG is committed in providing the best customer experience and would greatly appreciate any other additional feedback you may have regarding LG products and services. If you have a few moments to spare, a Feedback section is also available at the bottom of this email that you may use to rate and send us suggestions to better improve our services. 

Take care, stay safe! 

Best Regards, 
Felix 
LG Canada Email Support 

Just wanted to report that I am having the same issue with an Anthem MRX1120 receiver and Nvidia Shield 2019.  Dolby vision has been working flawlessly since purchasing the avr and shield last year and since the 5.10.04 firmware update it now glitches to a black screen every few seconds on Netflix.  It's unwatchable, the only fix is to disable Dolby Vision at the source.

The timing varies with other content (seems related to refresh rate, but it seems to do so with any Dolby Vision source. 

Audio is unaffected.

I have the same issue. Contacted LG support in the U.K.  As usual, the automatic response was first to blame incompatibility with the Denon Receiver and suggest I test my internet speed. They also want me to plug the devices directly into the LG TV. This is not possible because my entire system has the AV equipment a distance from the TV and it’s all channeled through conduits in the wall and ceiling. So I’m unable to try this. Of course the “bypass” with the AVR turned off  suggests it does work (see below). I copied a link of this discussion to the email I sent to them in the hope they would read it and also stressed that everything worked perfectly prior to this update. I am never hopeful of the technical support when the first reaction is not to read their emails properly and give knee-jerk (canned) responses. 

I’ve tried HDMI bypass and it works if the AVR is switched off. But then of course I don’t get my surround sound. If the factory reset works, that may be the route out of the mess. Otherwise we rely on the goodwill of LG to fix this rotten update. 

Tried doing the "initialize settings" on the LG C9. Yes, it does return all SETTINGS to factory. However, it DOES NOT revert the firmware to factory. Whatever software you had installed prior to the reset WILL STILL BE THERE afterward. And, you'll have to go in and redo all of your custom picture settings etc. 

Not a happy camper with LG, messing with my very expensive TV. 

On 6/19/2021 at 10:13 AM, Gfeltner78 said:

Same issue, but an interesting wrinkle with mine.  LG C9, same update as everyone and Dolby Vision is broken between my Apple TV 4K and Denon AVR.

what is interesting is Dolby Vision runs just fine between my Sony UHD player running through the same Denon to the same TV.  

So it has to be something specific to the LG and the Apple TV 4K (I have the 2021 Apple TV 4K by the way).

I have the the same setup.  Screen flickers on and off every second or two. I was able to stumble through the Apple TV settings and change video to 4k HDR, picture is back but I notice the difference in quality for sure. 

I have the same issue with a LG C9 (WebOS 5.10.04)  and Denon 4700H. Playing 4K blu ray discs on a panasonic ub820 formatted in dolby vision passed through the Denon give a flashing picture every 3 seconds. When I go into the blu ray player settings and turn off the dolby vision option to give HDR10 it is corrected. Streaming dolby vision through WebOS is good though.

Well, the plot thickens. 
LG Support yesterday advised that I could simply initialize the C9 TV to get back to factory settings, including the original OS. Not so. All settings will be put back to factory but you will still have whatever OS you had before the reset. 
I told LG Support this and their response was I might need to have my control board replaced. 

‘Huh?

I’m thinking about perhaps enabling eArc instead and connecting video sources (ATV etc.) directly to the C 9 and then eArcing the audio to my Marantz 7013.

Don’t think I want a service tech opening up my 77” TV that’s less than a year old to replace a control board that probably works fine.  An improved software update from LG would be much preferable. 

23 minutes ago, LG C9 said:

Well, the plot thickens. 
LG Support yesterday advised that I could simply initialize the C9 TV to get back to factory settings, including the original OS. Not so. All settings will be put back to factory but you will still have whatever OS you had before the reset. 
I told LG Support this and their response was I might need to have my control board replaced. 

‘Huh?

I’m thinking about perhaps enabling eArc instead and connecting video sources (ATV etc.) directly to the C 9 and then eArcing the audio to my Marantz 7013.

Don’t think I want a service tech opening up my 77” TV that’s less than a year old to replace a control board that probably works fine.  An improved software update from LG would be much preferable. 

This is exactly what I did. My receiver supports eARC (Denon X3600H) and I connected the NVIDIA Shield directly to my TV. I’m still able to pass through lossless audio except DTS:X.

Edited by legends92

Dolby vision yes its broken after latest update. I can't watch any blue rays now threw my anthem mrx 1120 & my oppo blue ray player, also firestick won't work neither unless I grange setting to adaptive,  otherwise tv constantly flashing on and off on screen with Dolby vision popping on and off

I found this on a German website:  

I have no idea how credible they are. In part, from Google Translate:

Since the beginning of June, LG has been distributing firmware version 05.10.04 for OLED televisions of the 2019 generation, i.e. for the B9, C9, E9 and W9 series. The firmware causes an error in interaction with AV receivers, connected players and the HDR format Dolby Vision, which leads to strong image flickering.

When asked by heise online, LG stated that the error is known and that another firmware update for the affected OLED TVs with a fix is expected to appear next Monday, June 28, 2021.

This issue has inspired me to do something I planned anyway but was avoiding………moving to an eArc setup completely. 
I did this today and now my ATV, TiVo box and Blu are all connected directly to the TV with one HDMI from the TV to the Marantz sr 7013. After some fussing with settings, it finally all works and I can adjust the picture settings for each individual video input finally. 
Final step was to modify my Harmony Elite remote to reflect no longer needing to change receiver inputs, and needed to change TV inputs. 

33 minutes ago, LG C9 said:

This issue has inspired me to do something I planned anyway but was avoiding………moving to an eArc setup completely. 
I did this today and now my ATV, TiVo box and Blu are all connected directly to the TV with one HDMI from the TV to the Marantz sr 7013. After some fussing with settings, it finally all works and I can adjust the picture settings for each individual video input finally. 
Final step was to modify my Harmony Elite remote to reflect no longer needing to change receiver inputs, and needed to change TV inputs. 

I did exactly what you did, but realized that the on-screen display of the volume from Denon is no longer displayed. Not a big deal. Not sure if the Marantz has the same behavior.

3 hours ago, legends92 said:

I did exactly what you did, but realized that the on-screen display of the volume from Denon is no longer displayed. Not a big deal. Not sure if the Marantz has the same behavior.

Same issue with the Marantz but no big deal for me since I always had the on-screen display disabled anyway. I have to say that, with the video sources now hooked up directly to the TV, I am noticing a subtle but apparent improvement in picture quality. 

To all of you, switching to eARC. Do you recognize some small audio/video desync with this configuration? Its definitly noteable on the "TV App --> eARC" method compared to the "Shield/ATV --> AVR --> TV" method. 

So no Desync at Shield/ATV --> TV --> eARC (AVR) ??

BTW: i have the same issue with DV and this LG Update. Waiting for a hotfix