Quantcast

C9 Update - 05.10.04 - Can no longer connect to Dolby

2 hours ago, m0nji said:

To all of you, switching to eARC. Do you recognize some small audio/video desync with this configuration? Its definitly noteable on the "TV App --> eARC" method compared to the "Shield/ATV --> AVR --> TV" method. 

So no Desync at Shield/ATV --> TV --> eARC (AVR) ??

BTW: i have the same issue with DV and this LG Update. Waiting for a hotfix

I don't use any of the TV's internal apps. My sources are Apple TV 4K, TiVo 4K PVR and LG 4K BluRay player. I'm not having sync issues with any of these sources. Not sure what you mean by "Shield". 

Same issue. After update to 5.10.04, Apple TV playing Dolby Vision content to the C9 through my Denon 6300X receiver no longer works. Screen flashes black. Had to turn Dolby Vision off to resolve which is of course not ideal for an expensive OLED TV that you bought to use with Dolby Vision.

Hoping LG can push out an option to revert back to previous firmware which worked fine, or an update to this new firmware to fix the issue. It's ridiculous to not be able to watch Dolby Vision content on my OLED TV.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, legends92 said:

This is exactly what I did. My receiver supports eARC (Denon X3600H) and I connected the NVIDIA Shield directly to my TV. I’m still able to pass through lossless audio except DTS:X.

LG terminated support for „DTS“ sound, because they decided that the marked share for DTS is too low. Thats what they wrote to a friend of mine last week. One reason more that an AV-Receiver should work fine with the LG tv.

After 2 german media websites (golem.de / heise.de) reported about the dolby vision problem, the dolby support wrote me that there will be an update next week, probably monday. And then it should be fixed… hope for the best

On 6/22/2021 at 6:01 PM, LG C9 said:

This issue has inspired me to do something I planned anyway but was avoiding………moving to an eArc setup completely. 
I did this today and now my ATV, TiVo box and Blu are all connected directly to the TV with one HDMI from the TV to the Marantz sr 7013. After some fussing with settings, it finally all works and I can adjust the picture settings for each individual video input finally. 
Final step was to modify my Harmony Elite remote to reflect no longer needing to change receiver inputs, and needed to change TV inputs. 

Thank you for putting this out there.  I moved to eArc and everything works GREAT, now.  (LG C9 - Denon 3600H)  Place my Firestick in a different port and passing the signal thru the TV, which fixed the problem until a fix is available to run directly.

1 minute ago, Keith McNary said:

Thank you for putting this out there.  I moved to eArc and everything works GREAT, now.  (LG C9 - Denon 3600H)  Place my Firestick in a different port and passing the signal thru the TV, which fixed the problem until a fix in available to run directly.

Very good! Even if LG does issue a fix, I won’t care either way and will leave EArc enabled permanently. Funny that LG’s screwup sort of inadvertently forced my hand to do something I was putting off. Technically, eArc would seem to be the better solution anyway, providing direct connection from source devices to the display and removing a device from the chain (the receiver).  I can confirm after several days of viewing using EArc that the image from any source  looks better on my LC C9 OLED 77”.  

Problem in Dolby Vision on LG Oled TVs C9 and CX models after Software update: 05.10.04
Immediately after updating to 5.10.04, it keeps flashing / fails to sync on all Dolby Vision signals from Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019) via a Denon X4500H. Other reports indicate that this is also true for Apple TV + and XBOX SERIES S/X.

From programmed obsolescence as a crime against consumer relations,
The market is driven by consumer dissatisfaction, which is always looking for the most modern or most functional product. The State grants consumers special protection through Law 8078 of 1990, by listing in its text some infractions against consumer relations. Even though the practice of obsolescence encourages the economy by generating more jobs, due to uninterrupted production by suppliers, it is an offense committed by producers. We conclude that, despite not being considered a crime by law, obsolescence is a harmful practice for the consumer.
The Consumer Defense Code (Law 8.078 of September 11, 1990) establishes, in Title II, of art. 61 to 80, a list of crimes against consumers. It should be noted that this list is not exhaustive, as art. 61 is clear in saying that they constitute crimes against consumer relations provided for in the code, without prejudice to the provisions of the Penal Code and extravagant laws. To avoid any kind of confusion, we have:
“The Penal Code and the extravagant law remain in force, with subsidiary effect. That is to say: if a given factual hypothesis is simultaneously governed by a provision of the CP and another one of this Title II, this one will prevail over that one.” (PAULO JOSÉ DA COSTA JR. AND FERNANDO JOSÉ DA COSTA, Crimes against the consumer, 2nd ed., Atlas, p. 3-4)
In particular, art. 66 indicates that the practice of programmed obsolescence is illegal when it states that it constitutes a crime against consumer relations "to make a false or misleading statement, or omit relevant information about the nature, characteristic, quality, quantity, safety, performance, durability, price or warranty of products and services".

Taking into account that, in the practice of obsolescence, the supplier does not inform that the product already has a predetermined operating period regardless of whether it is in perfect condition or not, we have:
"The supplier's silence on a relevant aspect of the product or service, which for some was equated with an allegation, can also make the verb "omit" focus. In other words: the supplier cannot remain silent when providing information to the consumer, because this is equivalent to omitting”. (ANTONIO CEZAR LIMA DA FONSECA, Consumer Criminal Law, 2nd ed. Livraria do Advogado, p. 162)
Below links with other complaints:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/o1r3ty/lg_firmware_51004_breaks_dolby_vision_with/
https://www.lgwebos.com/topic/7206-c9-update-051004-can-no-longer-connect-to-dolby/

In other words, it is a problem of the model, worldwide, with general dissatisfaction among gamers, proving that LG acts illegally, against the consumer.
Both Oled C9 and Oled CX can transmit in 4K 120HZ with DOLBY VISION ENABLED.
The OLED C9 has HDMI 2.1 at 48GB of data speed, the Oled CX E C1 HDMI 2.1 at 40GB.
The 3 have current WEBOS, system with updated processor and Artificial Intelligence, same quality and data processing.
In fact Oled C9, it normally produced DOLBY VISION on Xbox Series X, Apple TV + , Netflix and after the update (in the same week that Oled C1 received the fix to support DOLBY VISION in 120hz), it stopped producing content correctly in Dolby Vision. In contact with DOLBY and Microsoft both say that the responsibility for updates is LG.
The complaint and denunciation are registered with links to the case.

• Thanks 1

Good News!

LG Support answered me today. There is an update (05.10.15). It cannot be download over-the-air (yet). But from their website: 

link hidden, please login to view

1. Download

2. unpack the zip file

3. Put the extracted file in a folder named "LG_DTV" on an usb stick.

4. insert the usb stick on the tv usb port

5. start tv

6. "update now?" -> kick "yes"

Now Dolby Atmos with 4k 60hz on my OLED C9 (from 2019) works fine with Apple TV 4k (2021 Model) and Denon Receiver just fine! nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, HomeCinemaLord said:

Good News!

LG Support answered me today. There is an update (05.10.15). It cannot be download over-the-air (yet). But from their website: 

1. Download

2. unpack the zip file

3. Put the extracted file in a folder named "LG_DTV" on an usb stick.

4. insert the usb stick on the tv usb port

5. start tv

6. "update now?" -> kick "yes"

Now Dolby Atmos with 4k 60hz on my OLED C9 (from 2019) works fine with Apple TV 4k (2021 Model) and Denon Receiver just fine! nice!

I was so excited when I saw this post and immediately downloaded the firmware update from LG, loaded it on a USB, and successfully updated my TV. I am still having the same issue with Dolby Vision causing a constant black screen flashing on my LG B9. Apple TV 4K (not 2021) and Denon receiver.

Guess I need to wait for the next update...

1 minute ago, SoupySteve said:

I was so excited when I saw this post and immediately downloaded the firmware update from LG, loaded it on a USB, and successfully updated my TV. I am still having the same issue with Dolby Vision causing a constant black screen flashing on my LG B9. Apple TV 4K (not 2021) and Denon receiver.

Please call LG support and let them know that the new firmware did not fix it.

38 minutes ago, legends92 said:

Please call LG support and let them know that the new firmware did not fix it.

Also, consider using an eArc setup where all your video sources go right into the TV and the TV sends the audio via one cable to your receiver. Both receiver and TV must support eArc.  I did it and now LG can’t mess with me!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LG C9 said:

Also, consider using an eArc setup where all your video sources go right into the TV and the TV sends the audio via one cable to your receiver. Both receiver and TV must support eArc.  I did it and now LG can’t mess with me!

That is how mine is temporarily setup. Plex --> NVIDIA Shield 2019 Pro --> LG C9--> Denon X3600H.

There are a couple of drawbacks for me:

1. No Denon on-screen volume display.
  2. DTS-X audio does not pass-through the TV to the AVR. Highest I get is DTS Neural:X

2 minutes ago, legends92 said:

That is how mine is temporarily setup. Plex --> NVIDIA Shield 2019 Pro --> LG C9--> Denon X3600H.

There are a couple of drawbacks for me:

1. No Denon on-screen volume display.
  2. DTS-X audio does not pass-through the TV to the AVR. Highest I get is DTS Neural:X

Make sure your gear is compatible with eArc…..not just Arc. My eArc setup is passing all audio formats including lossless (Dolby True HD etc.) Make sure your cable from TV to receiver is high-speed with Ethernet. 
As for the volume display, I just use my ears. If someone complains, I turn it down. 🙂

I will add that there is, to my eyes, a bump up in video quality since I connected all video directly into the LG C9 instead of the receiver.  

30 minutes ago, LG C9 said:

Make sure your gear is compatible with eArc…..not just Arc. My eArc setup is passing all audio formats including lossless (Dolby True HD etc.) Make sure your cable from TV to receiver is high-speed with Ethernet. 
As for the volume display, I just use my ears. If someone complains, I turn it down. 🙂

I will add that there is, to my eyes, a bump up in video quality since I connected all video directly into the LG C9 instead of the receiver.  

All my HDMI cables from Plex to TV and TV to AVR are 

Lossless audio like Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD work except for DTS-X.

Updated from 05.10.14 to 05.10.15 via USB and no improvement. Unwatchable with dolby vision as it goes black once a minute or more, impossible to enjoy a film like this.

Shield Pro 2019 -> Denon x1600h -> LG C9 (OLED55C9PLA)

Tried a Dolby Vision title using Netflix on the LG C9 directly seemingly without issue (didn't test on 5.10.14 so can't tell if that's different).

Really not good enough since they don't let us "down"grade our TVs anymore.

On 7/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, SoupySteve said:

Or, maybe it’s time to go with an eArc setup, assuming your gear is compatible.  Worked for me and I’m not going back. Use the TV as your video switcher instead of the receiver. Use the receiver for sound only.  Sorta like the old days!

7 minutes ago, LG C9 said:

Or, maybe it’s time to go with an eArc setup, assuming your gear is compatible.  Worked for me and I’m not going back. Use the TV as your video switcher instead of the receiver. Use the receiver for sound only.  Sorta like the old days!

Perhaps it is but it'd be a shame. It'd take up my last HDMI port to move the Shield to the TV and eventually that'll be a problem when I have 3 120hz 4k devices needing attaching.

27 minutes ago, Harry S said:

Perhaps it is but it'd be a shame. It'd take up my last HDMI port to move the Shield to the TV and eventually that'll be a problem when I have 3 120hz 4k devices needing attaching.

I agree with you. The problem is, with ever-changing standards for audio, video, HDMI etc., it’s getting harder and harder to guarantee compatibility between components, especially of different brand names. You’re only an update away from breaking something. And I doubt LG loses much sleep over playing-well with competitors’ gear. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:56 PM, LG C9 said:

I agree with you. The problem is, with ever-changing standards for audio, video, HDMI etc., it’s getting harder and harder to guarantee compatibility between components, especially of different brand names. You’re only an update away from breaking something. And I doubt LG loses much sleep over playing-well with competitors’ gear. 

I doubt they do lose much sleep but it's a huge issue in my books. If it isn't fixed promptly I'm definitely going to think twice about trusting them for the next TV if I can't rely on a very common set up working, can't choose to roll back updates on my own tv, and has more adverts in the newer UI. It's not like somebody else changed anything either. This was LG pushing an Advertising based update and breaking a useful feature in the process. The update they've pushed hasn't fixed it and they don't allow me to fix it myself with their own proven to work software..

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, SoupySteve said:

05.10.15 works for me.:  Apple TV 4K (Second Edition) >>  Denon X3300 >> LG C9.   DV works again - no flashing, black screens, etc.

You may want to check for a Denon firmware update.  A day or two after this problem occurred I received an OTA FW upgrade for my Denon.  There is a post in the AVS Forum that some AVR's may need a FW upgrade too.

Mine worked immediately after I updated the TV.

• Like 1

After the latest update,  05.10.15, I’ve  have most functionality back most of the time. However, occasionally  Apple TV 4K looses Dolby Vision, I’m also seeing white lines through picture occasionally.  Denon 3400h, LGC9, ATV 4K

I installed 05.10.15 my C9 two days ago and now I see juddering with my Nvidia Shield Pro TV 2019 regardless of the setting in TruMotion.  Off, Smooth, Clear or even User mode I get the juddering.  But the juddering isn't present if I use the built-in WebOS app.   The problem doesn't seem to appear with Comcast's Flex box, either.   Model: OLED65C9AUA   I rebooted my Shield and the problem still continues.  But as far as I can tell, no updates were downloaded on the Shield.  I had the Shield since its debut in 2019 and never had problems with it before.

Edited by SnugglesDaBear
spelling