Quantcast

LG 55UF6450-UA won't connect to Wi-Fi network.

cali086

Question

Hi, I have an LG WebOS Smart TV that after the last firmware update the Wi-Fi Connection stop working properly. When I try to connect to my network, it will instantly disconnect or it will freeze my TV.

Model: LG 55UF6450-UA (bought it on November 2015)

Firmware: 03.16.00

Also, I don't know if it is relevant but my TV is a US version that now I have it with me in Costa Rica, Central America.

I've tried everything posted on the internet and forums:

- Connecting to my cellphones hotspot (worked for about 5 min the first time I try it and then stop working and would work again when I tried to reconnect).

- Change the DNS to google's DNS. (Once I was able to do it but didn't fix the issue, and also first I need to be able to connect to a network for the TV to enable the option for changing manually to static ip's).

- Doing factory reset won't fix it.

- Changing the Country/Region/Time zone won't fix it.

- Changing to manual time won't fix it.

- Can't do the downgrade procedure posted on this forum for two reasons: because you need to be able to connect to the wifi or via ethernet and it isn't working, and also I can't find an older versión of my firmware.

I am pretty sure that I need to downgrade or even just do a fresh installation of the actual the firmware, but I can't find the right way to do it. Maybe with an LG service remote? but again, I need to first get on my hands a working firmware version for my TV right?

Any recommendations?

6 answers to this question

On 7/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, cali086 said:

Hi, I have an LG WebOS Smart TV that after the last firmware update the Wi-Fi Connection stop working properly. When I try to connect to my network, it will instantly disconnect or it will freeze my TV.

Also, I don't know if it is relevant but my TV is a US version that now I have it with me in Costa Rica, Central America.

- Connecting to my cellphones hotspot (worked for about 5 min the first time I try it and then stop working and would work again when I tried to reconnect).

- Change the DNS to google's DNS. (Once I was able to do it but didn't fix the issue, and also first I need to be able to connect to a network for the TV to enable the option for changing manually to static ip's).

- Can't do the downgrade procedure posted on this forum for two reasons: because you need to be able to connect to the wifi or via ethernet and it isn't working, and also I can't find an older versión of my firmware.

I am pretty sure that I need to downgrade or even just do a fresh installation of the actual the firmware, but I can't find the right way to do it. Maybe with an LG service remote? but again, I need to first get on my hands a working firmware version for my TV right?

Any recommendations?

Hi @cali086

In other threads on the forum people have reported similar issues and have found it was due to faulty wireless models, in their case it was easy enough to find replacements on the likes of eBay.  See if you can find the relevant threads and you may find if the same applies to yourself.

@George Hofmeister I guess you meant "Faulty Wireless Modules". I did see some vidoes on YouTube about how to replace these. There was one I saw recently that showed one being removed, he brushed the dust off the ribbon cable connector, and put it back in. Not sure if that is a common problem, or if the WiFi modules are totally failing electronically (i.e. failed component inside). Obviously brushing the dust off is NOT going to fix that! Of course the OP could be right that the firmware upgrade has broken the functionality (especially if it has tightened up standards for use on another country, as is the case here - channel seperation, power output etc.)?

Edited by td47
Minor clarification

4 hours ago, George Hofmeister said:

Hi @cali086

In other threads on the forum people have reported similar issues and have found it was due to faulty wireless models, in their case it was easy enough to find replacements on the likes of eBay.  See if you can find the relevant threads and you may find if the same applies to yourself.

Hi @George Hofmeister,

Thanks for your comments. I forgot to include that this exact same issue happened first last year and in that time, from reading on this forum, I thought it was like you said, a faulty wifi module. We changed the module and the issue persisted, and it was until LG released a new firmware that it got fixed.  I think that the only solution is going to be to wait for LG to release a new firmware again and after that I will have to disable auto update. I am also trying to report the issue directly to LG to see if they can get the fix sooner. 

I've read also that this type of issues are very common on al brands of Smart TVs, but I am pretty sure my model is one of the worst. Its OS has always been super buggy, lost of strange behaviors, some time wifi didn't connect automatically, some times simple link just won't work with my sound bar, etc., and after the first year of having it the motherboard died, so I had to change it for a used one but in working condition since LG doesn't sell new parts or they charge more than the TV cost, crazy right?

On 7/14/2020 at 10:08 PM, cali086 said:

Any recommendations?

Might be a hardware/software fault.

Try to reset your wifi router as well. Connect again (Use WPS if you have )if it connects and works fine, then great.

If it freezes, look up in the router admin panel - if it shows tv as connected assign it a permanent ip address. Might help.

Solution 2- 

Can you try and connect a lan cable from the router to the tv for testing purpose.

If it works get a wifi range extender with ethernet port. 
Connect the extender to  wifi network and lan cable from the extender to the tv’s lan port.

I won’t recommend opening the tv up.

On 16/7/2020 at 13:35, George Hofmeister said:

Ciao @ cali086

In altri thread sul forum le persone hanno segnalato problemi simili e hanno scoperto che era dovuto a modelli wireless difettosi, nel loro caso è stato abbastanza facile trovare sostituti come eBay. Vedi se riesci a trovare i thread pertinenti e potresti scoprire se lo stesso vale per te stesso.

I had the same problem on a lg 49 I solved it once it connects to the wifi from the router assigns statito ip to the tv

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.