Quantcast

Folders with album/cover art.

derrrface

I mainly use the file browser to access an external HD which houses a ton of videos (movies/tv shows/etc.) While the built in file manager generates/loads a thumbnail of each video I would like to use my own thumbnail art. Please allow the user to associate a .jpg/.png to each video as well as folder.  Under /Movies is hundreds of video files with generated thumbnails that make finding videos difficult. 

eg:
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.avi
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.jpg (user generated album art)

/TV shows/Altered Carbon/cover.jpg or anything.jpg
/TV shows/Six Feet Under/cover.jpg or anything.jpg

I have lots of folders (especially TV shows) with different seasons in them, being able to associate a thumbnail with each folder would make life that much easier.

My prior PVP (Micca) was over 10 years old technology that was able to do all of this. I also had a Boxee Box (again >10 year tech) that went a step further and would fetch album art from whatever database (think it was IMDB) load synopsis/cast/reviews etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mainly use the file browser to access an external HD which houses a ton of videos (movies/tv shows/etc.) While the built in file manager generates/loads a thumbnail of each video I would like to use my own thumbnail art. Please allow the user to associate a .jpg/.png to each video as well as folder.  Under /Movies is hundreds of video files with generated thumbnails that make finding videos difficult. 
eg:
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.avi
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.jpg (user generated album art)
/TV shows/Altered Carbon/cover.jpg or anything.jpg
/TV shows/Six Feet Under/cover.jpg or anything.jpg

I have lots of folders (especially TV shows) with different seasons in them, being able to associate a thumbnail with each folder would make life that much easier.

My prior PVP (Micca) was over 10 years old technology that was able to do all of this. I also had a Boxee Box (again >10 year tech) that went a step further and would fetch album art from whatever database (think it was IMDB) load synopsis/cast/reviews etc. 

I second this request too.
It's about time LG upgrades it's media server/player software.

All standard applications from LG are very simple. There are a few apps in de LG store that do a better job.

What I use is Plex. You use a computer as a Plex media server. It will show the thumbnails, actors backgrounds and much more. More info on internet

There are more media servers (like Serviio) ore apps on in de LG store but this is for me the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave Plex a shot a while back, tried it again and I just don't like how buggy/unresponsive and resource heavy it is, also I have to disable my VPN to use it which is a deal breaker. Even the LG official/approved app (SmartShare) is buggy as hell, usable once you figure out you (I) in order to refresh a directory have to remove it, close window, open window, add directory, refresh, close window, refresh main window. Sometimes that doesn't even do the trick, close, hangs.... force close, restart. So for now I just have a smaller sized USB powered drive I can easily swap from computer to TV.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, derrrface said:

I gave Plex a shot a while back, tried it again and I just don't like how buggy/unresponsive and resource heavy it is, also I have to disable my VPN to use it which is a deal breaker. 

I don't have problems with Plex for being unresponsive. What I did was disable video stream transcoding because the Plex app on my LG tv can play all the formats I send it.

Why you have to disable VPN, I don't know. Not using VPN on the machine my Plex server is on. On an other machine with VPN I can tweak which addresses are send over VPN and which not but don't know if that helps you.

But, if you don't like Plex, maybe you can try something like 

link hidden, please login to view
. I don't have experience with that but maybe it is something for you. Something I tried before was . This works but was not as slick as Plex.

Good luck and stay save

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.