Quantcast

Folders with album/cover art.

derrrface

I mainly use the file browser to access an external HD which houses a ton of videos (movies/tv shows/etc.) While the built in file manager generates/loads a thumbnail of each video I would like to use my own thumbnail art. Please allow the user to associate a .jpg/.png to each video as well as folder.  Under /Movies is hundreds of video files with generated thumbnails that make finding videos difficult. 

eg:
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.avi
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.jpg (user generated album art)

/TV shows/Altered Carbon/cover.jpg or anything.jpg
/TV shows/Six Feet Under/cover.jpg or anything.jpg

I have lots of folders (especially TV shows) with different seasons in them, being able to associate a thumbnail with each folder would make life that much easier.

My prior PVP (Micca) was over 10 years old technology that was able to do all of this. I also had a Boxee Box (again >10 year tech) that went a step further and would fetch album art from whatever database (think it was IMDB) load synopsis/cast/reviews etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
I mainly use the file browser to access an external HD which houses a ton of videos (movies/tv shows/etc.) While the built in file manager generates/loads a thumbnail of each video I would like to use my own thumbnail art. Please allow the user to associate a .jpg/.png to each video as well as folder.  Under /Movies is hundreds of video files with generated thumbnails that make finding videos difficult. 
eg:
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.avi
/Movies/Serial_Mom_1080.jpg (user generated album art)
/TV shows/Altered Carbon/cover.jpg or anything.jpg
/TV shows/Six Feet Under/cover.jpg or anything.jpg

I have lots of folders (especially TV shows) with different seasons in them, being able to associate a thumbnail with each folder would make life that much easier.

My prior PVP (Micca) was over 10 years old technology that was able to do all of this. I also had a Boxee Box (again >10 year tech) that went a step further and would fetch album art from whatever database (think it was IMDB) load synopsis/cast/reviews etc. 

I second this request too.
It's about time LG upgrades it's media server/player software.

All standard applications from LG are very simple. There are a few apps in de LG store that do a better job.

What I use is Plex. You use a computer as a Plex media server. It will show the thumbnails, actors backgrounds and much more. More info on internet

There are more media servers (like Serviio) ore apps on in de LG store but this is for me the best.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave Plex a shot a while back, tried it again and I just don't like how buggy/unresponsive and resource heavy it is, also I have to disable my VPN to use it which is a deal breaker. Even the LG official/approved app (SmartShare) is buggy as hell, usable once you figure out you (I) in order to refresh a directory have to remove it, close window, open window, add directory, refresh, close window, refresh main window. Sometimes that doesn't even do the trick, close, hangs.... force close, restart. So for now I just have a smaller sized USB powered drive I can easily swap from computer to TV.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:09 PM, derrrface said:

I gave Plex a shot a while back, tried it again and I just don't like how buggy/unresponsive and resource heavy it is, also I have to disable my VPN to use it which is a deal breaker. 

I don't have problems with Plex for being unresponsive. What I did was disable video stream transcoding because the Plex app on my LG tv can play all the formats I send it.

Why you have to disable VPN, I don't know. Not using VPN on the machine my Plex server is on. On an other machine with VPN I can tweak which addresses are send over VPN and which not but don't know if that helps you.

But, if you don't like Plex, maybe you can try something like 

link hidden, please login to view
. I don't have experience with that but maybe it is something for you. Something I tried before was . This works but was not as slick as Plex.

Good luck and stay save

• 3 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Ahmed A
      I recently copied some backup folders (like steam game backup folders, etc) from my PC to my USB drive that's connected to my LG TV running webOS.
      Since then, my TV takes 4x the time it previously took to show my USB drive as connected after its switched on.
      So i assume that it scans all the folders to show any viewable media content .. and the new folders I copied have a lot of files and folders in them so thats adding the time to it.

So my question is, is there a way to prevent\disable the LG tv from scanning specific folders in the USB drive?
      In Android it can be done by copying the .nomedia file into the desired folder, but I don't know how its done for LG's webOS.

thanks for help.
    • By Bartosz Górski
      Do i have my HDD conected to my TV lb670. I have movies in folders on hdd but in TV there is no folders, all movies are on one list.
      Can i put movies into folders in smartshare?
    • By intelgen
      Hi LG, your Web OS is really well built, but there are a few essential features lacking.
      Such as:

- Folder filtering in the SmartShare App (We all need this ASAP, the navigation is a nightmare!).
      - Audio stream selection within video files in the SmartShare App.
      - A PLEX App the collaborates nicely with the PLEX Client.

- Faster start up times. From when you power on the TV to being able to quickly access the home menu and change the Volume, channel, etc.
        If you have to just offer an option to put the TV into a low power state/sleep (for as long as the user wishes) so you can resume quick menu navigation almost straight away.
        (and unlike Sony don't make it so after a few hours of the TV being asleep it fully powers down. (THIS IS NOT USEFULL, and is the reason I took my Sony TV back to JB HI-FI
        And bought yours).
        You could call this feature "PowerAct", or "instant on" it would make 'Life Good' and easier

- Auto backlight brightness? I have the Australian LB 6500 and I can't seem to find a Auto-Backlight/dimming feature anywhere, and seeing as I use it in my room, when the lights are off 
        I want it to dim so I don't go blind. I don't know if you've implemented a Ambient light sensor or not, but for $1,800 I would think you should have.

- If you would Like anymore Feedback/Suggestions, Feature requests or ideas from me then just PM me or write on this thread

Thank you LG, and thank you for being one of the very few 'Innovative' companies around today.

• By VirusAlert
      Hi, smartshare seems to have no support for smb protocol, as I can connect to a shared folder on a PC or NAS without DLNA.
    • By News Reporter
      If you want to do any sort of file management on your webOS device, you will need to connect your device to a computer and access the
      link hidden, please login to view, or you can use use a good File Manager app. There are quite a few great apps available, including or by Jason Robitaille, by OMA Studios, or and by pcworldSoftware. While each of these apps have their own unique benefits, one feature found in Internalz/InternalzPro and Gemini is the ability to bookmark those folders that you use most often for quick access. To set a folder bookmark in Internalz or InternalzPro
      Find a folder that you want to add as a bookmark Press-and-hold on that folder until a pop-up menu appears and select "Info" On the top-right corner of the screen, tap on  to set this as a favorite. The star will turn to  to indicate it has been set. on phones or from the top-left to access the dropdown menu and select "Back" to go back to the file manager. While in the file manager, just tap on the  on the top-left of the screen to view your entire list of bookmarked folders (called "Favorites" in the app).  Tap on the folder you want to navigate there You can remove a bookmark by repeating the steps above, or just the folder from the "Favorites" page. Note that in Internalz and Internalz Pro, you can also bookmark files in additional to folders To set a folder bookmark in Gemini (TouchPad only):
      Navigate to the folder that you want to add as a bookmark Tap the  icon below the folder tree and tap the "+ Add" option from the pop-up Add a name for the bookmark in a pop-up dialog box, as this will be how you can tell all your bookmarks apart. Tap the "Add" button when complete To access the bookmarks, tap the  icon again and you will see a list of all your bookmarks. Unfortunately, you are not able to delete individual bookmarks, but you can reset them all by going to the Settings tab on the top-left of the screen and tapping the "Delete All Bookmarks"  button