Quantcast

Total Power On Time

Rohit Gupta

• 2 months later...

I recently bought a "new" OLED65C8 and it indicated a "Total Power On Time" of 3999 hours.   I contacted LG Support via chat for an explanation and they abruptly terminated the chat, without explanation,  when I asked how accurate this metric was and what tolerances it has.

I suppose this metric could be an artifact from when the OS was imaged onto the new TV.  However, in the worst case, a shady retailer could be selling used/refurbished product as new.  But, if I'm not mistaken, this metric can be reset via the service panel.  If so, you'd think the shady individual would also reset the hours to zero.

I'll post again if I find any thing that is significant.

FWIW, after a subsequent contact with LG Customer Service,  providing a serial number and asking for any available history related to this serial, I was able to learn the following.

My TV was identified as a store demo assigned to one of the larger retail  chains.

I guess the take away from all of this is:

1. The "Total Power On Time" is a very useful metric to investigate

2. Some retailers do shady things

HTH

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rex said:

FWIW, after a subsequent contact with LG Customer Service,  providing a serial number and asking for any available history related to this serial, I was able to learn the following.

My TV was identified as a store demo assigned to one of the larger retail  chains.

I guess the take away from all of this is:

1. The "Total Power On Time" is a very useful metric to investigate

2. Some retailers do shady things

HTH

First thing I did was check this when we bought our 86UH9500 new back in 2017 - it was sold as open box which was really more like crappy, taped up box but never used.  Out of the box, it was obvious the set had never been used, all packing and wrap was in place, still had that new TV smell.  

I had trouble with the app you can use to check the up time in the service menu but also found it in the General/About this TV menu and it had 1 -2 hours if memory serves, if that.  Subsequent registration with LG confirmed the set was new, never registered etc. 

Interesting note: with an app or a service remote, you can actually reset the time.  I found this out by accident when I reset the TV after restoring changes a technician had made that made the TV unwatchable.