Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Question

I use Enigma2 for watching TV, recording etc.
Is WebOS an alternative?

Enigma2 can:
Unlimited number of simultaneous recordings.
Streaming (Intranet and Internet)
Softcam (for pay-TV card) <= Alternative: support for "Unicam" etc.
NAS instead of USB HDD.
Unencrypted recordings.

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tobias Claren said:

Is WebOS an alternative?

Enigma2 can:
Unlimited number of simultaneous recordings.
Streaming (Intranet and Internet)
Softcam (for pay-TV card) <= Alternative: support for "Unicam" etc.
NAS instead of USB HDD.
Unencrypted recordings.

No.

21 hours ago, Tobias Claren said:

Is WebOS an alternative?

Enigma2 can:
Unlimited number of simultaneous recordings. - webOS, no
Streaming (Intranet and Internet), webOS, yes Intranet especially if you run a Plex Media Server, there is DLNA support in webOS, YMMV.  Internet, well it depends on what you want to stream, if it is Flash based or anything esoteric then no, but the browser is not designed for consuming content.  See elsewhere on the forum for more information.
Softcam (for pay-TV card) <= Alternative: support for "Unicam" etc. If it runs over a specific channel then yes, if it requires specific software or hardware interface then it is unlikely.
NAS instead of USB HDD.  Not sure what you are actually asking in this question, if you mean will it read from a NAS then the answer is possibly depending on make, model, software install etc.  Running a Plex Media Server is the best method of streaming media to webOS.
Unencrypted recordings. - webOS, no

Hope this answers your questions more fully.

OK, what is the artificial limit for recordings?
I think, I don't need "10" or "8" or "6".
But 3 or 4 or 5 could be possible.
Two recordings, one viewing, and 1 streaming are four "recordings".

I mean that I will use a NAS intead of USB-HDD for recordings.

"Unencrypted recordings. - webOS, no

Also free not encrypted Channels?
For example, "Das Erste HD", "ZDF HD", "WDR HD", BBC One HD", ITV HD" etc. are not encrypted

Encyrpting not encrypted channels, thats nutty. Freaky TV set manufacturers. Movie studios, TV stations have not the legal power to say "you have to encrypt!".
 Only pay tv provider are dependent from movie studios. Encyrpting their channels and encrypting in their boxes.
And also Sony as a paranoid movie studio is "nutty" with their TVs. Sony is a movie studio, but NOBODY will record tv streams with a sony for illegal internet downloads.
There are existing enough set-top-boxes or TV cards for PC to do that. Sony (and LG...) could save the recordings without encryption, without a "risk" for the profits of the movie studios or tv networks (CBS series etc..).

I need "Plex" for streaming TV from LG TV to smartphone or tablet?!? Not with a App from LG or other private app-coder? Not with webinterface in a browser? Like "webif" in "Enigma2".

Is streaming with transcoding possible?
Transcoding from full tv resolution to a small data stream (for example from 12Mbit/s HD to 1Mbit/s SD or 320x...) for viewing over Internet.
That is possible with the modern Enigma2 set-top-boxes with "Transcoding" function for streaming.
Before "transcoding", it was possible to send the stream to a pc with "VLC", and VLC transcode the stream for internet.
This would be OK. The PC is runnig 24/7. Because, I use it as NAS for TV-Recordings.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Brent
      Unable to exit SlingTV app.  App stays open when exiting WebOS and is open when re-entering WebOS after power down. Any suggestions?
    • By ajmboy
      Posted by XDA developers...
      When we feature a new root method it’s typically for a smartphone. If it’s not a smartphone then it could be a tablet, smartwatch, or an Android TV set-top box. However, more and more devices are starting to become “smart,” which essentially means they have some sort of extra software feature that previously wasn’t possible. This could be a light bulb that can be controlled by our smartphone or a TV that has applications you can install.
      https://forum.xda-developers.com/web-os
    • By Victoria lola
      I was wondering if there’s any chance that we going to have iTunes on webos 
      I own like 300 movie plus tv show on iTunes  just got my first new oled c8  Now there’s a lot rumors about airplay 2 only for 9 generation . 
    • By Alex
      A few months ago LG announced a partnership with Luxoft to create webOS Auto for automotive infotainment type of uses. This week at CES 2019, visitors got an initial look at what webOS Auto is all about. Continue reading the article from Mobile Syrup below:

It’s now old news that webOS has the potential to play a role in automotive infotainment, but seeing it in action was an interesting paradox. It’s strange seeing the webOS logo on a vehicle, even if it is a concept. If there’s one platform that’s been around the block, so to speak, it’s webOS. From its inception through Palm, to its collapse with HP, and ultimately renewed lease on life with LG, it’s since been defined as a smart TV interface. That looks to be changing. Luxoft, a Swiss developer, partnered with LG on this project of porting over the smart TV platform to in-car use. It’s not even close to a direct port, so don’t assume it has the same look. This looks very different, and it was evident to me that it’s still early days for the viability of the setup.

A different look  - For starters, Luxoft demoed this in a unique concept vehicle — basically a pod that can sit on top of a rolling set of wheels the company calls a “skateboard.” The idea is that pods can be used to move people and goods with automated machines laying and removing the pods as necessary. It’s a bit confusing, but that’s secondary to the platform inside. Three screens make up the system. One is the user’s phone, one a large touchscreen on the dash, and a curved display taking up half the windshield. Users first order the vehicle through an app (with blockchain) where they can unlock the doors and then integrate their handset by scanning a QR code on the dash’s touchscreen.

Amazon’s Alexa, which is built-in to webOS Auto, confirms the connection and displays a home screen. The curved display showed a map, supplied by HERE, to indicate the vehicle’s location. A Luxoft rep then gave a verbal command through Alexa to navigate to a destination. While the pod was theoretically driving, he verbally ordered a drink from a Vegas hotel and booked a tour of the Strip. The idea is that passengers can engage with services while they ride, using Alexa or the touchscreen to do them at any time. Whether it’s booking something, listening to music through Spotify or watching video on Netflix and Amazon Prime, a lot can be plugged in. It’s like having a virtual concierge during every ride. Luxoft’s other partnerships are part of the mix here, like the PELUX and Qt Auto platforms, for instance. But this is really more of a middleware play. Luxoft helped develop the newer MBUX system Mercedes-Benz has rolled out recently. As a middleware provider — not unlike BlackBerry’s QNX — Luxoft was simply showing what webOS Auto could do. What it could look like would depend on what automakers or mobility services companies want. Another German automaker is expected to make an announcement regarding webOS in the spring, so we’ll get news soon.

LG and Microsoft team up In a separate, yet related, announcement, LG will be putting Microsoft’s AI and Azure cloud service into its emerging automotive infotainment platform. The same aforementioned German automaker is on board with this, and the feature set will include smarts for the driver assistance and cameras in whichever vehicle runs the system. Where Azure fits in is to process data faster on the fly, like recognizing pedestrians, lines, signs and much more. It will also involve Azure’s Virtual Assistant Solution Accelerator, a voice-activated framework that is supposed to give drivers useful data, like traffic, music, and points of interest. Neither gave too much detail beyond the basics, but it looks like LG is gunning for Samsung (among others) in the automotive arena.

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Hands-on with webOS Auto