Quantcast

Is my television broken?

BananaBender

Question

I have a 42LB650V purchased in the last 6 weeks. After about an hour of use the television becomes completely unresponsive. A change in volume takes about 10 seconds to register. Changing channel takes 5-10 seconds to respond. Switching between inputs can take up to 30 seconds. The settings page can take up to 30 seconds to respond too. It becomes almost impossible to page through the guide. 

Is this normal, are other folks experiencing this? I'm sure this shouldn't be happening. 

I got a firmware update at the end of October and that has not made much difference. 

From a software perspective, it feels like a memory leak and the resulting poor performance is the OS itself trying to survive the resulting memory pressure. 

Any guidance is most welcome.

I talked to an operative at LG today on the telephone. 

They gave me a number of diagnostics to try. Initially it was suggested that it was the remote control rather than the television. I.e. check the batteries. They're okay.

The useful test seems to be using the little joystick underneath the screen. So when the tv has become sluggish, try adjusting the volume by moving the joystick left and right. If it fails to respond then it's not the remote (which I know I'm certain it isn't).

I shall do that test this evening and report back, although I suspect the result will be the same as if I was using the remote.

Bought an LG55LB730V noticed this delay on the first day amongst other things such as explicitly enabling some ports through my internet firewall.

I have noticed the delay not just on the volume control but accessing the input menus and the app launcher bar at the bottom.

In addition i have had problems when the TV has been on for some time and has switched to another input source. Also has anyone had issues watching a full HD film streamed via a DLNA device.

I can watch a full length full HD movie streamed via the smart share app when the tv has just been turned on. If however it try to watch the same movie on the tv after its been in use for some time then i get the "Out of memory" error displayed and the smart share app will restart. try to play the film again you get the "Out of memory" error, Turn it off completely then turn it back on i can watch the film again.

By the way cable and my DLNA source are all cabled and within 2M (2 times 1 meter cables) of each other.

My previous TV was an LG 55LM760T must say never an issue. allways worked.

My kids TVs both LG 22" SMART and connected via WIFI both work flawlessly with the same full length movies.

Anyone have any ideas on any tests to perform or settings which can be changed.

You say cabled, so I'm assuming that you've connected the TV to your network via ethernet rather than WiFi?

If you're using ethernet, I suggest you try WiFi. My TV is much more responsive since only connecting via WiFi.

I've been asking myself how this can be. And the only answer I've come up with is that WebOS wouldn't originally have had an ethernet driver as it was intended to run on mobile devices. So I'm guessing that LG added an ethernet driver and they've botched it. 

Either way, I'm sending my TV back and buying an alternative brand. It's still pretty terrible (but less so since I'm on Wifi).

You say cabled, so I'm assuming that you've connected the TV to your network via ethernet rather than WiFi?

If you're using ethernet, I suggest you try WiFi. My TV is much more responsive since only connecting via WiFi.

I've been asking myself how this can be. And the only answer I've come up with is that WebOS wouldn't originally have had an ethernet driver as it was intended to run on mobile devices. So I'm guessing that LG added an ethernet driver and they've botched it. 

I have the same TV and it works fine connected to the network thru the LAN cable.

Bought an LG55LB730V noticed this delay on the first day amongst other things such as explicitly enabling some ports through my internet firewall.

I have noticed the delay not just on the volume control but accessing the input menus and the app launcher bar at the bottom.

In addition i have had problems when the TV has been on for some time and has switched to another input source. Also has anyone had issues watching a full HD film streamed via a DLNA device.

I can watch a full length full HD movie streamed via the smart share app when the tv has just been turned on. If however it try to watch the same movie on the tv after its been in use for some time then i get the "Out of memory" error displayed and the smart share app will restart. try to play the film again you get the "Out of memory" error, Turn it off completely then turn it back on i can watch the film again.

By the way cable and my DLNA source are all cabled and within 2M (2 times 1 meter cables) of each other.

My previous TV was an LG 55LM760T must say never an issue. allways worked.

My kids TVs both LG 22" SMART and connected via WIFI both work flawlessly with the same full length movies.

Anyone have any ideas on any tests to perform or settings which can be changed.

I have not noticed any slowdowns in performance, but  I have exactly same issues with HD movies over DLNA with 55lb63(0v). It used to be fine, but after a week of usage all these problems began. DLNA source is connected to router by wifi, LGTV is connected to router with cable.

Please let me know if you was able to find solution. I bought TV for 1 simple reason: DLNA for hd movies, and LG SUCKS from the very beginning. 

Hi all,

I have noticed the delay in turning up or down the volume also exists on the joystick button underneath the TV.

I have tried a WIFI connection as well as a brand new gigabit Ethernet switch. I reverted back to an Ethernet cable connection to my switch and therefore the rest of my network.

I had contacted LG and they wanted me to open some ports on my firewall. Which I have done. Only to humour them. There was no change. The ports are 2, 18, 44, 80 and 88. By default all outbound traffic is unblocked. e.g. tv to internet unblocked. Otherway round it is blocked unless it is a response to outbound activity.

IT gets really really annoying watching a dlna video only to crash and spend as long getting back to where you left off.

My older LG TV sadly now gone was many times better then this one.

Soft it out soon LG.

By the way I never got my issues resolved. To this day they still persist.

Ok, it looks that there is a way around "out if memory. app is closed" message from SmartShare app.

It has been 3hrs non stop full hd movie via DLNA without any crash, here is what i did:

- Fully restart media servers, I use Serviio and plex mostly), re-connect them through 'device connector' app.

- Play the movies/media directly from 'device connector' app which directly leads to folders on media server (not the sort of compiled list of all movie/etc as SmartShare does).

I assume this might be a temporary solution, because when i ran SmartShare for the 1st time (6days ago) it was all fine for a couple of days and then the problems began (out of memory). Since now all is kinda newly reconnected -I'im just guessing - the TV just dumped some used memory and lets wait for couple of days to see if it stays fine.

55lb630v-za, fw 04.30.16

Hi,

i bought a 55LB650V a few weeks ago, and after a few days i also started to notice the tv getting slower and slower. After contacting LG support, they suggested a "factory reset" using the menu. That did not help of course. I contacted them again, and planned a service mechanic right away. When he came, he used a "special" remote to do an IN-STOP reset (thats more then a factory reset), and after that, the tv was amazingly fast!

Some menu's are just slow, but the overall performance is superb now. Changing the volume before was sometimes 10 seconds or more, now its immediately, even after playing for hours!

Just google for IN-START and IN-STOP and how to to it yourself (with a logitech harmony or PSP 1000 for example). But be careful, read all warnings first so you know what you are doing!!!

I bought a lg lb650v, it worked fine but 1 day i updated it, than it had a lot of problems like out of memory and it became very very slow, the best solution for lg's webOS powered smart tv is never update it, because th store where i bought the tv , they replaced my tv with another of the same model, i didn't updated and it's good!

With 2 recent LG webOS tv's ( 55UB850v and 55EC930V ) I had these problems as well. After an hour, both tv's remotes were responding  much slower. Changing volume resulted 5-10 seconds in actually changing the volume. After a few hours it is even slower or no reaction at all.

But...., I found the cause in my situation. Someone mentioned turning Simplelink off and that might work as well but for me the problems are gone when I disconnect my HDMI cable from my Raspberry Pi which can be controlled by HDMI-CEC / Simplelink as well. This combination worked fine on an older Samsung tv.

I hope someone else can be helped with this information but in the first place LG should seriously take a look at their "standard" Simplelink / HDMI-CEC implementation !!!

• Like 1

Hi,

Just registered to share that on my lb670v i was getting the same problem and after disabling CEC or Simplink the tv got back to normal...

I also have a raspberry pi and i noticed that the CEC service on it somehow interferes with the tv CEC... So i disable it.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Just registered to share that on my lb670v i was getting the same problem and after disabling CEC or Simplink the tv got back to normal...

I also have a raspberry pi and i noticed that the CEC service on it somehow interferes with the tv CEC... So i disable it.

Hope this helps.

I had similar issues with the 47LB650V, Magic Remote & new Sky HD 2TB and Samsung amp but no issues with old Sky HD box and that combination. I finally discovered that the new Sky Box has an HDMI control option that appeared to be to clashing with Simplink, turned this off and now am able to control TV, amp and Sky HD 2Tb box via remote and Simplink with no freezing or slowing down of control.

I had similar issues with the 47LB650V, Magic Remote & new Sky HD 2TB and Samsung amp but no issues with old Sky HD box and that combination. I finally discovered that the new Sky Box has an HDMI control option that appeared to be to clashing with Simplink, turned this off and now am able to control TV, amp and Sky HD 2Tb box via remote and Simplink with no freezing or slowing down of control.

Yep it appears LG did mess up their CEC code or something with their Simplink...  After disabling it (curious it does not disables CEC...) no more OS slow response.

Thank goodness I found this post, I have been having this delayed sound and issues with slow smart features for the past 5 months! i have just tried switching simplink off and so far so good. I was tearing my hair out and about to demand a replacement. Will turning simplink off affect anything else or is it not needed?

Thank goodness I found this post, I have been having this delayed sound and issues with slow smart features for the past 5 months! i have just tried switching simplink off and so far so good. I was tearing my hair out and about to demand a replacement. Will turning simplink off affect anything else or is it not needed?

Well SimpLink is the "modified (at least it appears modified)" version of CEC that LG uses for their devices to communicate to each other. I have a home theater from LG plus Blu Ray player and after disabling Simplink, power off/on synchronization stopped working... but controlling volume on the amplifier still work via CEC. 

In theorie disabling SimpLink should disable CEC functions altogether but as i experienced it does not... simple CEC commands like volume control or input change or even pause/play on LG Blu Ray player still work. 

So the only thing you are loosing is LG devices interconnectivity that requires SimpLink... For people like me that have all this things LG the only thing i loss was power on/off sync.

And the TV is now operating as it was supposed to. Fast, responsive and overall very good :)

Thank you, I've tried my blu Ray player and at least the pause and play buttons work so I can live with that. Spent hours on the phone with LG and sky today, LG telling me it's sky's fault and sky telling me its LGs fault. So happy I've found a solution, it's great being able to turn the sound down when the phone rings lol

Well SimpLink is the "modified (at least it appears modified)" version of CEC that LG uses for their devices to communicate to each other. I have a home theater from LG plus Blu Ray player and after disabling Simplink, power off/on synchronization stopped working... but controlling volume on the amplifier still work via CEC. 

In theorie disabling SimpLink should disable CEC functions altogether but as i experienced it does not... simple CEC commands like volume control or input change or even pause/play on LG Blu Ray player still work. 

So the only thing you are loosing is LG devices interconnectivity that requires SimpLink... For people like me that have all this things LG the only thing i loss was power on/off sync.

And the TV is now operating as it was supposed to. Fast, responsive and overall very good :)

Well I'm not happy with this solution, I have the LG wit a Onkyo receiver and a Raspberry Pi, the sound of the Onkyo and controls only work when simplink is enabled. A switch between the power of the PI is it for now.
With my Samsung plasma al things worked fine. For now I regret buying a TV with WebOS.

Well I'm not happy with this solution, I have the LG wit a Onkyo receiver and a Raspberry Pi, the sound of the Onkyo and controls only work when simplink is enabled. A switch between the power of the PI is it for now.
With my Samsung plasma al things worked fine. For now I regret buying a TV with WebOS.

Are u trying to use ARC or Toslink? I have a LG receiver and even with SimpLink off everything works just fine... But i use a Toslink cable to connect to the receiver and never used ARC.

The problem with your setup might well be just the Pi.... Remove the CEC services from whatever Linux distro you are using and it should work fine. (By removing i mean delete them from the system... Apt-get remove "package_name" or just remove the service from startup configuration)

Are u trying to use ARC or Toslink? I have a LG receiver and even with SimpLink off everything works just fine... But i use a Toslink cable to connect to the receiver and never used ARC.

The problem with your setup might well be just the Pi.... Remove the CEC services from whatever Linux distro you are using and it should work fine. (By removing i mean delete them from the system... Apt-get remove "package_name" or just remove the service from startup configuration)

The goal is one remote control for the TV, Reciever (on / off, volume) and the Pi, I use the normal LG remote also to fully control XBMC (OpenELEC). Toslink I have not tried yet, everything is connected by HDMI.

It all worked fine until the delay problem arose when I connected the new fast Pi2:(

The goal is one remote control for the TV, Reciever (on / off, volume) and the Pi, I use the normal LG remote also to fully control XBMC (OpenELEC). Toslink I have not tried yet, everything is connected by HDMI.

It all worked fine until the delay problem arose when I connected the new fast Pi2:(

Yes i have similiar setup... and i can use CEC perfectly with Simplink off... in fact i use the kodi android remote to control my receiver volume.

I don't use the OpenELEC project version of Linux based HTPC OS so i can't really help you there. I use Xbian with Kodi 14.2. 

If this is a problem that happened after you switched to the model 2 Pi then you should query on the Openelec forums.

Yes i have similiar setup... and i can use CEC perfectly with Simplink off... in fact i use the kodi android remote to control my receiver volume.

I don't use the OpenELEC project version of Linux based HTPC OS so i can't really help you there. I use Xbian with Kodi 14.2. 

If this is a problem that happened after you switched to the model 2 Pi then you should query on the Openelec forums.

The same thing for the older verions. Thanks for thinking, I keep an eye on the forums!

I have had a 55EC930V for two weeks now and WebOS is so slow compared with my five years old LG 47in 550. Sure enough switching off simplink speeds things up a lot. But then ARC no longer works. Any way of still having ARC and disabling simplink?

Software update 04.45.04 solved my problem with Simplink slowing down my 55ec930v! Finally! A now happy user! I experienced it with a raspberry pi.

In the Netherlands 2 versions of 04.45.04 exist on the support site of LG! They look the same with the same size but there are differences. I used the one with the word oled in the filename within the zip.

Starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-32.arches-3246-04.45.04-prodkey_usb.oled_V3_SECURED.epk

Nowhere is told what the differences are. A file comparison tool tells me that about 10kb is different of the total size of 643 mb.

• Like 2

Software update 04.45.04 solved my problem with Simplink slowing down my 55ec930v! Finally! A now happy user! I experienced it with a raspberry pi.

In the Netherlands 2 versions of 04.45.04 exist on the support site of LG! They look the same with the same size but there are differences. I used the one with the word oled in the filename within the zip.

Starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-32.arches-3246-04.45.04-prodkey_usb.oled_V3_SECURED.epk

Nowhere is told what the differences are. A file comparison tool tells me that about 10kb is different of the total size of 643 mb.

Great, the download is now on the UK LG Website and I have downloaded it for the install from USB stick. For some odd reason the auto update on the TV does not find the update.