Quantcast

Is my television broken?

BananaBender

Question

I have a 42LB650V purchased in the last 6 weeks. After about an hour of use the television becomes completely unresponsive. A change in volume takes about 10 seconds to register. Changing channel takes 5-10 seconds to respond. Switching between inputs can take up to 30 seconds. The settings page can take up to 30 seconds to respond too. It becomes almost impossible to page through the guide. 

Is this normal, are other folks experiencing this? I'm sure this shouldn't be happening. 

I got a firmware update at the end of October and that has not made much difference. 

From a software perspective, it feels like a memory leak and the resulting poor performance is the OS itself trying to survive the resulting memory pressure. 

Any guidance is most welcome.

Thank you, I've tried my blu Ray player and at least the pause and play buttons work so I can live with that. Spent hours on the phone with LG and sky today, LG telling me it's sky's fault and sky telling me its LGs fault. So happy I've found a solution, it's great being able to turn the sound down when the phone rings lol

Well SimpLink is the "modified (at least it appears modified)" version of CEC that LG uses for their devices to communicate to each other. I have a home theater from LG plus Blu Ray player and after disabling Simplink, power off/on synchronization stopped working... but controlling volume on the amplifier still work via CEC. 

In theorie disabling SimpLink should disable CEC functions altogether but as i experienced it does not... simple CEC commands like volume control or input change or even pause/play on LG Blu Ray player still work. 

So the only thing you are loosing is LG devices interconnectivity that requires SimpLink... For people like me that have all this things LG the only thing i loss was power on/off sync.

And the TV is now operating as it was supposed to. Fast, responsive and overall very good :)

Well I'm not happy with this solution, I have the LG wit a Onkyo receiver and a Raspberry Pi, the sound of the Onkyo and controls only work when simplink is enabled. A switch between the power of the PI is it for now.
With my Samsung plasma al things worked fine. For now I regret buying a TV with WebOS.

Well I'm not happy with this solution, I have the LG wit a Onkyo receiver and a Raspberry Pi, the sound of the Onkyo and controls only work when simplink is enabled. A switch between the power of the PI is it for now.
With my Samsung plasma al things worked fine. For now I regret buying a TV with WebOS.

Are u trying to use ARC or Toslink? I have a LG receiver and even with SimpLink off everything works just fine... But i use a Toslink cable to connect to the receiver and never used ARC.

The problem with your setup might well be just the Pi.... Remove the CEC services from whatever Linux distro you are using and it should work fine. (By removing i mean delete them from the system... Apt-get remove "package_name" or just remove the service from startup configuration)

Are u trying to use ARC or Toslink? I have a LG receiver and even with SimpLink off everything works just fine... But i use a Toslink cable to connect to the receiver and never used ARC.

The problem with your setup might well be just the Pi.... Remove the CEC services from whatever Linux distro you are using and it should work fine. (By removing i mean delete them from the system... Apt-get remove "package_name" or just remove the service from startup configuration)

The goal is one remote control for the TV, Reciever (on / off, volume) and the Pi, I use the normal LG remote also to fully control XBMC (OpenELEC). Toslink I have not tried yet, everything is connected by HDMI.

It all worked fine until the delay problem arose when I connected the new fast Pi2:(

The goal is one remote control for the TV, Reciever (on / off, volume) and the Pi, I use the normal LG remote also to fully control XBMC (OpenELEC). Toslink I have not tried yet, everything is connected by HDMI.

It all worked fine until the delay problem arose when I connected the new fast Pi2:(

Yes i have similiar setup... and i can use CEC perfectly with Simplink off... in fact i use the kodi android remote to control my receiver volume.

I don't use the OpenELEC project version of Linux based HTPC OS so i can't really help you there. I use Xbian with Kodi 14.2. 

If this is a problem that happened after you switched to the model 2 Pi then you should query on the Openelec forums.

Yes i have similiar setup... and i can use CEC perfectly with Simplink off... in fact i use the kodi android remote to control my receiver volume.

I don't use the OpenELEC project version of Linux based HTPC OS so i can't really help you there. I use Xbian with Kodi 14.2. 

If this is a problem that happened after you switched to the model 2 Pi then you should query on the Openelec forums.

The same thing for the older verions. Thanks for thinking, I keep an eye on the forums!

Thank goodness I found this post, I have been having this delayed sound and issues with slow smart features for the past 5 months! i have just tried switching simplink off and so far so good. I was tearing my hair out and about to demand a replacement. Will turning simplink off affect anything else or is it not needed?

I have had a 55EC930V for two weeks now and WebOS is so slow compared with my five years old LG 47in 550. Sure enough switching off simplink speeds things up a lot. But then ARC no longer works. Any way of still having ARC and disabling simplink?

Software update 04.45.04 solved my problem with Simplink slowing down my 55ec930v! Finally! A now happy user! I experienced it with a raspberry pi.

In the Netherlands 2 versions of 04.45.04 exist on the support site of LG! They look the same with the same size but there are differences. I used the one with the word oled in the filename within the zip.

Starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-32.arches-3246-04.45.04-prodkey_usb.oled_V3_SECURED.epk

Nowhere is told what the differences are. A file comparison tool tells me that about 10kb is different of the total size of 643 mb.

• Like 2

Software update 04.45.04 solved my problem with Simplink slowing down my 55ec930v! Finally! A now happy user! I experienced it with a raspberry pi.

In the Netherlands 2 versions of 04.45.04 exist on the support site of LG! They look the same with the same size but there are differences. I used the one with the word oled in the filename within the zip.

Starfish-dvb-secured-m14tv-32.arches-3246-04.45.04-prodkey_usb.oled_V3_SECURED.epk

Nowhere is told what the differences are. A file comparison tool tells me that about 10kb is different of the total size of 643 mb.

Great, the download is now on the UK LG Website and I have downloaded it for the install from USB stick. For some odd reason the auto update on the TV does not find the update.

I got this update since some weeks on my 47LB650V, but didn't realize the better performance, cause I'm using as well a raspberry pi, so not too much the smart part of the tv.

I re enabled simplink and now I declare my self as a happy customer, works like a charm, tv is very responsive.

I recommend going for this update.

• Like 1

I got this update since some weeks on my 47LB650V, but didn't realize the better performance, cause I'm using as well a raspberry pi, so not too much the smart part of the tv.

I re enabled simplink and now I declare my self as a happy customer, works like a charm, tv is very responsive.

I recommend going for this update.

Same here, I was used to the super quick response on my old LG 47 in 550T. 

I see that LG are going to release a complete update for our TVs soon; A sort of 80% WebOS 2.0 see 

link hidden, please login to view

im just repeating myself: GET A NEW ROUTER! It solved 99% "out of memory" problems! Seriously.

I used to get the "out of memory" probably 10-20 times a day using SmartShare. And now after getting new router i got the error only 3 times during 2 months after (3-4hrs) long hours of youtube when switched to SmartShare. 

GET A NEW ROUTER and 'out of memory. app is closed' problem is SOLVED. LG TVs dont communicate well with older routers, and that is fine.

Hi
Can you help me?! I am from Azerbaijan.I have LG Tv 43LF631V.And in my Tv don't work Lg content store.I didn't enter any apps.I try to reset my tv from the settings menu.But don't change any.I know to enter service menu (EZ adjust) whit a smartphone.But I don't know codes( area, country, tools)in the service menu.If you know codes, send me, please

• Like 1