Quantcast

Firmware update

Ishan Kurnal

Question

8 answers to this question

@Ishan Kurnal The WebOS 6.0 release is on the new 2021 LG models, but of course that will be designed to work with the new hardware (new internal support chips Video Processing, and for decoding etc.) and therefore optimised to work with those. Comparing the C9 (2018/19) with the CX (2020) models I think the CX's had a new video processor - 'Alpha 9 Gen 3' (O20 chip versus  O18 chip) but it is unknown if an  'Alpha 9 Gen 4' exists (as an O21??) for the 2021 models, as exposing and using some/all of the internal hardware features will all depend on how the firmware is written, to cover lower end through to higher end models with a single firmware image.  

Back-porting WebOS 6.0 into older 2019/2020 models MAY happen over time, but if the hardware differences are significant, it might not be possible to "tweak it to fit" and work OK in the older models.

From this site:

link hidden, please login to view

"Version 6.0 of webOS will be available on LG's 2021 OLED and LCD TVs. The company did not announce plans to update previous TV models with webOS 6.0. In the past, LG has declined to upgrade webOS in its previous TVs."

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, td47 said:

@Ishan Kurnal The WebOS 6.0 release is on the new 2021 LG models, but of course that will be designed to work with the new hardware (new internal support chips Video Processing, and for decoding etc.) and therefore optimised to work with those. Comparing the C9 (2018/19) with the CX (2020) models I think the CX's had a new video processor - 'Alpha 9 Gen 3' (O20 chip versus  O18 chip) but it is unknown if an  'Alpha 9 Gen 4' exists (as an O21??) for the 2021 models, as exposing and using some/all of the internal hardware features will all depend on how the firmware is written, to cover lower end through to higher end models with a single firmware image.  

Back-porting WebOS 6.0 into older 2019/2020 models MAY happen over time, but if the hardware differences are significant, it might not be possible to "tweak it to fit" and work OK in the older models.

From this site:

link hidden, please login to view

"Version 6.0 of webOS will be available on LG's 2021 OLED and LCD TVs. The company did not announce plans to update previous TV models with webOS 6.0. In the past, LG has declined to upgrade webOS in its previous TVs."

Sorry but that is marketing BS.

The SoC in those units is almost identical. The new ones might be a little more powerful (especially the one for 8K models) but there isn't any hardware limitations on the "old" models that would exclude them to receive the update.

Lg doesn't update them because they want to sell new units.

5 hours ago, exnor said:

Sorry but that is marketing BS.

The SoC in those units is almost identical. The new ones might be a little more powerful (especially the one for 8K models) but there isn't any hardware limitations on the "old" models that would exclude them to receive the update.

Lg doesn't update them because they want to sell new units.

It is tempting to think that all the manufacturer needs to do is recompile for a new platform and they could update my slightly older TV. However the reality is that any new software update needs to be quality assurance tested on any and all  platforms it may be deployed on. So even if the same binary would run on the older platform they (LG) will not take the risk of bricking thousands of TV's if anything goes wrong. So there is a significant cost to supporting older platforms  that can't always be justified. No disrespect but hobbyist programmers that can read a spec sheet often overlook this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Simon Block said:

It is tempting to think that all the manufacturer needs to do is recompile for a new platform and they could update my slightly older TV. However the reality is that any new software update needs to be quality assurance tested on any and all  platforms it may be deployed on. So even if the same binary would run on the older platform they (LG) will not take the risk of bricking thousands of TV's if anything goes wrong. So there is a significant cost to supporting older platforms  that can't always be justified. No disrespect but hobbyist programmers that can read a spec sheet often overlook this. 

Hi @Simon Block

What an extremely well-thought-out and cogent statement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simon Block said:

I agree with you in part:

Sure older models i do understand.  I am not expecting that LG compiles a WebOS version for SoC that use ARMv7l ISA and only have 1GiB of RAM (or less)(and all the hardware on the board etc, etc, etc, plus older GPU in the SoC, etc, etc...)

But one year old models? Like early or mid 2020 ones? No!  That is pure BS from LG part. 

Yes it would cost LG a few pennies to pay devs to reach that QA, but it would keep costumers happy. This is blatant disregard and greed (btw LG is not the only one doing this. In fact i dont think LG is the worst one, but still it pisses me off).

Merhaba
55LB670V-ZA model için Türkiye için önerdiğiniz webOs sürümü varmı nereden bulup yükleyebilirim. 
Mevcut olan sürüm: webOS 1.4.0-2532 (afro-ashley)
Teşekkürler

-------------------

Hello there 55LB670V-Z model for webOS version Have you propose to Turkey where I can find and install. Available version: webOS 1.4.0-2532 (afro-ashley) Thank you

IMG_20210117_235611.jpg