Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

tvguy

E9 no response on Homekit

Question

Anyone else having homekit connectivity issues? I am good until the TV turns on at which point I get no response from the home app and it essentially breaks. Frustrating.

Any ideas?

36 answers to this question

1 hour ago, chris4prez said:

@robertapple1 - very interesting.  I always thought all the homekit/airplay functionality was performed over IP.  It looks like it may be a combo of both IP and bluetooth.  To test this theory, I disabled bluetooth control of the TV and I was no longer able to turn it on via homekit, but the odd thing is, I was able to turn it off, change inputs, and still airplay. Leading me to believe when the tv is in low power mode or where a user would consider the state "off" it uses bluetooth to wake it, then controls when it's consider in an "on" state are sent via IP.  This may explain why control is reliable and seen in homekit with no issues when on, but when "off" or in a low power mode showing the not responding in homekit because of bluetooth issues.

This also makes me wonder how bluetooth control is handled to the tv when commands are issued by say homepods.  I have multiple apple tvs and home pods around the house acting as homekit hubs, which to me thinks I would have a reliable bluetooth connection to monitor the tv state and should never see the not responding while "off".  I wonder how we can further troubleshoot this or if anyone knows how homekit handles bluetooth devices.

As far as I know the LG Magic Remote uses BT.  Airplay 2 uses WiFi, hence it is able to stream video due to the wider bandwidth compared to Bluetooth (BT). HomeKit uses WiFi AND BT. See this webpage 

link hidden, please login to view
.  So I stand by my first assumption, that it is a CONFLICT in the BT protocol that is used for  the LG Magic Remote AND HomeKit.
This cannot be solved by us, nor should it be solved by using workaround with third party hardware using Homebridge or the likes. I hope this is picked up by LG and fixed with a firmware update (and PLZ include the Apple TV app in WebOS 😜)

25 minutes ago, robertapple1 said:

You only see that message briefly when you scan the QR-code from the TV with Homekit

Ah right, I do remember seeing that message.

18 minutes ago, robertapple1 said:

So I stand by my first assumption, that it is a CONFLICT in the BT protocol that is used for  the LG Magic Remote AND HomeKit.

I tried adding a T-Mobile device from the device selector to see if the same was happening to my TV. Though my tv was still able to turn on and off through homekit. Though I don't actually have a T-Mobile top box. I suppose it is the top box itself that is interfering with the bluetooth signal, not necessarily the setting of the LG Magic Remote. Have you tried moving your top box further away from the TV?

47 minutes ago, Jespertheend said:

Ah right, I do remember seeing that message.

I tried adding a T-Mobile device from the device selector to see if the same was happening to my TV. Though my tv was still able to turn on and off through homekit. Though I don't actually have a T-Mobile top box. I suppose it is the top box itself that is interfering with the bluetooth signal, not necessarily the setting of the LG Magic Remote. Have you tried moving your top box further away from the TV?

Hi Jesper,

No, I haven't moved it. In general, a settopbox is close to the TV (it is connected with an HdMI cable), so placing it far away from the TV isn't practical. When I disconnect the settopbox from the TV (meaning I cannot use the LG Magic Remote to operate the settopbox and use it's original remote) there is NO Homekit conflict.  The problem IMO lies in the BT connection of the Magic Remote with the settopbox that is conflicting with the BT connection of Homekit

3 minutes ago, robertapple1 said:

In general, a settopbox is close to the TV (it is connected with an HdMI cable), so placing it far away from the TV isn't practical.

That makes sense, I mentioned it more to get more of a clear picture of what exactly is causing the issue. Moving your top box away from the TV wouldn't be a good permanent solution.

Either way I think you're right in that it's a protocol issue and can probably be fixed with a software update. I don't think the remote has bluetooth though. When I point a camera at it I can see the IR led flickering when I turn on the TV. And when I hold my hand in front of the led, the TV doesn't respond to the power button any more. I think rather, when you press a button on the remote, the TV itself sends a bluetooth signal to the top box.

@robertapple1 Interesting idea with the bluetooth, hadn't considered that. I have a Spectrum box so may play around with unplugging it and see what happens.

Thought of a few more things for you. Have you tried adding the TV to homekit using another ios device like an iPad? May work. Another idea is sign in/out of iCloud on the device. Also make sure iCloud keychain is enabled. Homekit has always been finicky for me and finally working reliably with my homepods but it took a few software updates. The TV needs one for sure.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, tvguy said:

@robertapple1 Interesting idea with the bluetooth, hadn't considered that. I have a Spectrum box so may play around with unplugging it and see what happens.

Thought of a few more things for you. Have you tried adding the TV to homekit using another ios device like an iPad? May work. Another idea is sign in/out of iCloud on the device. Also make sure iCloud keychain is enabled. Homekit has always been finicky for me and finally working reliably with my homepods but it took a few software updates. The TV needs one for sure.

Bit late reply, didn't have time. I tried all the solutions you describe; also iCloud keychain is enabled. I can see my LG TV now in my iPhone (I am at work); I was able to couple it to HomeKit the moment I disconnected my Settop box from the Magic Remote. After that I re-initialized the coupling of the LG Magic Remote with my settop box (because it is very handy and I want to use one remote. But ATM that I turn on the TV and my settop Box, the HomeKit app shows the TV but displays a message it cannot connect to the TV.

Press the gear icon on the remote.  Go to “Network” in the list that comes up.  Once you click on that it will take you to “Connection.”  In the list under “Connection,” click on “Mobile TV On.”   When you’re in that section, make sure settings for both wifi and bluetooth are on. 

Paesano

2 hours ago, Paesano said:

Press the gear icon on the remote.  Go to “Network” in the list that comes up.  Once you click on that it will take you to “Connection.”  In the list under “Connection,” click on “Mobile TV On.”   When you’re in that section, make sure settings for both wifi and bluetooth are on. 

Paesano

Thanks for helping. Both WiFi and BT were already turned on, but stil the failure as described earlier is there. I fear we have ri rely on a firmware update......

I found a solution on my end! I realized I started having issues the same day I configured a specific channel (40) on my 5GHz wifi router.  I Re changed the channel to 36 and my tv started almost immediately to work in the HomeKit app.