Quantcast

No Updates - Why should I recommend or buy a TV from LG?

4 hours ago, Deepak Suresh said:

@randysehn 
Next time I will buy a 4K TV without any smart features and smart OS .. and connect my Android box with it to make it as a Smartest TV.

You will have a hard time finding any TV without some smart functions but that should not be a problem. Just buy the TV with the best screen for the best price and don't use any of the smart functions.

You can even do that now 🙂 

• Like 1

While I can understand frustration for lack of updates, keep in mind that there are a lot of TV models each with separate capabilities and specifications. Some may lend themselves to being upgradable while others may be unable.

It does cost money to support TVs and electronics. At some point there is an End Of Life (support) that companies have to consider.

A similar comparison could be made to Android or iOS devices which are no longer able to be upgraded to a new OS version. While it may be possible in some ways to move around some of these limitations, there is a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ebresie said:

While I can understand frustration for lack of updates, keep in mind that there are a lot of TV models each with separate capabilities and specifications. Some may lend themselves to being upgradable while others may be unable.

It does cost money to support TVs and electronics. At some point there is an End Of Life (support) that companies have to consider.

A similar comparison could be made to Android or iOS devices which are no longer able to be upgraded to a new OS version. While it may be possible in some ways to move around some of these limitations, there is a risk.

@ebresie Yeah .. understandable .. Its like an iPhone.. You can't simply install any other custom OS in it as we do for Android Devices. Because, unlike Android devices, Apple Products and LG products which uses WebOS are designed not to support any other custom OS. Though WebOS is beased on Linux.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 8:12 AM, ebresie said:

The comparison isn't a wrong one, but most all (credible and capable) phone manufacturers support their phones for at least 2 years with software updates. If they don't, they aren't worth supporting with your business and money.

Likewise, when I buy an LG 4k "smart" TV with IoTV and LG Connect blah blah and then 2 years later they come out with the penultimate "smart" connecting app/feature that requires a software update to webOS 4.0, my TV should receive that update. No questions.

TVs cannot and should not be required to be updated every two years. If that's LG's stance, then I think they're majorly hurting themselves by holding back their customers' capable products. If such is true, they aren't deserving of the money they seem to be cash-grabbing.

8 hours ago, Jondan Rothfus said:

The comparison isn't a wrong one, but most all (credible and capable) phone manufacturers support their phones for at least 2 years with software updates. If they don't, they aren't worth supporting with your business and money.

Likewise, when I buy an LG 4k "smart" TV with IoTV and LG Connect blah blah and then 2 years later they come out with the penultimate "smart" connecting app/feature that requires a software update to webOS 4.0, my TV should receive that update. No questions.

TVs cannot and should not be required to be updated every two years. If that's LG's stance, then I think they're majorly hurting themselves by holding back their customers' capable products. If such is true, they aren't deserving of the money they seem to be cash-grabbing.

Sadly Smart TV feature improvements and additions are currently moving a such a pace that models from even a couple of years ago are physically incapable of running those new features available on current models.  I imagine that this applies not only to LG but other manufacturers, the only way around this is to purchase a dumb TV and plug a box in to it, a ROKU would be a good choice.  For comparison of how well other manufacturers are doing I like to look around Samsung forums, they are always good fun and the grass is so much greener over there:

link hidden, please login to view

The following article details the issue with YouTube (circa 2015) and iPads (circa 2013) that stopped being able to use the service because Google upgraded things behind-the-scenes. 

Technology, buy it and expect it to be obsolete by the time you have it home from the shop and do not expect it to function as you imagine it will or have the feature set you deem requisite.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      There's been a lot of frustration over the years since LG aquired webOS and moved it into all their TVs, specifically around software updates. After a year or so, updates are not always available, mostly due to model and hardware limitations. Now come teh 2024 webOS TVs and LG is promising to keep you updated for at least five years! That's quite a turnaround from years past..

The news is part of the recent 2024 QNED Announcement:
      LG 2024 QNED TVs also elevate the home entertainment experience with versatile personalization and increased convenience. With the webOS Re:New program,* LG is offering an upgrade to the latest version of its webOS smart TV platform to give more smart TV owners the most up-to-date user experience for the next five years. This notable offer comes to LG QNED Mini LED 8K models launched in 2022 (QNED99 and QNED95 series) and will be extended to additional models in the QNED TV lineup worldwide in the future.
    • By DeBC
      Anyone looking at getting a LG TV I would recommend look to different company. LG do not provide any good webOS TV support
    • By Dheeraj Sharma
      Most of the new apps such as jio cinema, sony liv, voot etc which are present on other models of lg smart Tv isn't visible on lg43lj554t Tv model. 
      Please provide such apps as these are very much trendy in India and is needed by maximum viewers due to their popularity else wise I have to purchase other Tv as my need is not being catered or need to buy amazon firestick etc.
      Please don't ruin our experience and do provide these apps atleast jio cinema, voot and sony liv so that we can enjoy it, also most of the app which are currently present on lg store isn't of any use and nobody use it.
      So please give us what we want. 
      Please contact me on : 8104994156 if you need to know more about the issue.
    • By MicSzy
      TV model OLED65B6P purchased in mid-2017.
      TV software version: 05.60.06
      Web OS: 3.4.0-5706 (dreadlocks-digya)
      This is supposed to be a smart TV, it’s only 4 years old and already it can’t take advantage of recent/new features in applications such as Hulu Live TV and cloud DVR. As a result we can either settle for the older basic Hulu app which doesn’t support Hulu live TV or Hulu cloud DVR, features added by Hulu a year ago when the TV was only 3 years old. The work around is viewing through a separate appliance attached to the TV (like Roku or Fire TV Stick) or broadcasting to the TV from a smart phone or other mobile device, both which add another link in the chain connecting the signal source to the TV, and which introduce audio lagging video.
      Why isn’t LG supporting a very expensive “smart” TV that is less than 4 years old by updating the Web OS?  
      We also own another LG TV, model 32LJ550B-UA, which supports the latest Hulu app with Live TV and cloud DVR. That set was purchased in 2018. Why can’t the same software version and integrated Web OS be applied to our primary viewing TV above? This second set shows:
      TV software version: 06.00.04
      Web OS: 3.9.0-63004 (dreadlocks2-dudhwa)
    • By News Reporter
      At the start of every year, almost everybody in the tech world gathers in Las Vegas to show off their newest products, technologies and concepts at CES, the world’s biggest consumer electronics show. This year, participating companies were determined to demonstrate how their innovative products and solutions help solve some of Earth’s greatest challenges and change the lives of thousands, if not millions, for the better.
      Inspired by its belief that the answer is always with the customer, LG showcased its most advanced customer-centered innovations that provide entirely new value and convenience to its customers. Here are the five tech keywords for 2023 which cover the areas of personalization, sustainability and virtual reality.

Me, Myself and I
      With far more people inclined to seek a living space that fully matches their personality, leading consumer electronics companies are rethinking their product development approach in order to build appliances that not only possess excellent features, but also blend effortlessly into various home interiors.
      With this new attitude also comes a greater demand for personalized viewing experiences, especially as people spend more time at home since the onset of the pandemic. That’s why every TV being released is now equipped with an operating system that employs all kinds of features that help individuals find their perfect show instantly with next to no effort on their part.

Future of Mobility
      Major car makers are shifting their production to electric vehicles and joining top-tier tech software companies to reimagine what a car could and should do in the future. The growing importance of the in-vehicle experience is transforming the future of automobility.
      LG’s Vehicle component Solutions Company is committed to enhancing the driving experience through its expertise and know-how of vehicle parts technologies, so that its customers can develop advanced car models that make the journey more entertaining, easier and, most importantly, safer.

Lifestyle Devices for Healthier Life
      After living with the pandemic for so long, people are now more concerned with their health than ever before. Under these renewed circumstances, people desire lifestyle devices and solutions that can empower them to take control of their health care and wellbeing while lowering costs at home.
      In line with this trend, lifestyle devices and solutions with digital health technologies will stand out for these growingly discerning customers, who are willing to pay more for products that seem to be made for their healthier lives.

Sustainable Living
      For everyone who attended or followed this year’s CES, it was clear that sustainability was a major focus. More and more companies, regardless of size and industry, are ranking sustainability higher on their business agendas, which means more companies are inventing products and services with various eco-friendly and accessible features.
      LG showcased the company’s ESG vision in an exclusive exhibit through the Better Life for All zone at CES 2023, introducing a comprehensive overview of LG’s sustainability efforts.

Be in It
      With the metaverse still deemed to be the future for tech, especially in the gaming industry, more and more people want cutting-edge devices that can make images or sounds that appear far more lifelike than today.
      Driven by growing expectations and demand for a greater sense of reality, more innovative products that help users feel fully immersed in the digital environment will be further thrust into the spotlight in 2023.
      # # #

link hidden, please login to view