Quantcast

How to setup OLED65b7a with xbox, cable box, video receiver?

Mark Tiede

Question

I just got this OLED65b7a TV yesterday.  I have everything set up.

My setup is shown in the attachment

I have a couple of problems I can't resolve.

1. Sound comes from two sources simultaneously.

I turn on the xbox which turns on the receiver and the cable box and outputs signal back to receiver to the TV (hdmi ARC).

I turn on the TV and see and hear the TV through the xbox.  (or I choose a game or something else on the xbox and see and hear that on the TV)

I choose on the TV to show Live TV from the internet.

Now both sounds come out from both sources.  I think the sound system is doing one and the TV speakers are doing the Live TV.

2. I want to control the cable box with the remote. 

When I want to configure the remote for the cable box, it wants the cable box to be plugged into the TV.  If I do that, the remote can control the cable box, but when I return the hdmi to the receiver, I don't think the remote still worked.  I think it said there was nothing connected or something.

3. Should I be changing my connections?

Should I be plugging the cable box and the xbox into the TV?  And then go from the TV to the receiver?  How will the remote work then?  Will I be able to turn the xbox on and off with the TV remote?  Will I have to disable the devices that the xbox is turning on and off through the Kinect IR blaster?

Thanks a lot for any direction in this.  So far I haven't found anything on the web that is set up like mine to model after.

xbox cable setup.png

4 answers to this question

I think part 3 was the answer.  I changed the wiring so that the cable box and the xbox plugged into the tv.  Then the TV connected to the receiver through the ARC connection.  Then I had to change the receiver to allow HDMI Control.  I think everything is working as expected now.  Cable box and receiver seem to be controlled by the LG magic remote.  I miss is being able to turn the xbox on with the LG remote.  I guess I can either use voice or the controller for that when it is needed.  I used to have the xbox control all the devices, but I guess if I'm not really doing games, I don't need to have it on.  Although the OneGuide in the xbox allowed me to quickly go through my Favorites and I don't see a way to do that with the current hook up.

Have to experiment with it more.

What type of receiver do you have? Make and model. If it supports 4K pass-through, your best bet is to plug every component - the Xbox, cable box, any streaming devices, etc. - through it and then go from the HDMI out on the receiver to the HDMI2/ARC input on the TV. With HDMI-CEC, the receiver will then automatically switch between inputs as each becomes active. turn on the Xbox, the receiver will switch over to it for audio and video. I have two Playstations, a Philips 4K disc player and a Chromecast Ultra hooked up this way, and switching between them is seamless.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.