Quantcast

Remove or not start with LiveTV

Andrew Robinson

Question

We recently got a new LG 43" TV for our bedroom (43UN7300AUD). There are no inputs for this TV as we only want to use it for streaming services (Netflix and Amazon). There is no Antenna hooked up to the TV either since we don't want to watch LiveTV on it (the only Antenna we have is hooked up in our family room to a FireTV Recast, not to a smartTV). 

When we turn on the TV it auto-tunes to channel 2-0. Since there is no antenna, this is just loud snow. Even when we go to the dashboard, it defaults to showing liveTV and hence more snow & noise. Even though the LG TV stations are enabled and working it will always tune to 2-0 when I turn the TV on. I've tried going through the menu and cannot find any setting to change this. I'd be happy removing or disabling "LiveTV" as an option and would love it to start with the dashboard with LiveTV not expanded/active. Even clicking on the amazon prime button takes time and we get several seconds of the snow before the smart features startup.

With more and more people only using streaming services, I have to believe the TV supports our use case and should not try to ever use liveTV. 

Is there a setting I missed in the menu to stop it from always trying to go to liveTV when I turn the TV on? Or at the very least make it tune to an LG channel on start to avoid the snow?

Update: of course, right after posting thisI did find that you can use the amazon prime button on the remote to turn the TV on. I still would like to fix the dashboard playing snow and would prefer to have the TV not try to use liveTV if I use the power button to turn the TV on.

Thank you

Edited by Andrew Robinson
Found a work-around
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

On 9/21/2020 at 5:31 AM, Andrew Robinson said:

We recently got a new  LG 43"  TV for our bedroom (43UN7300AUD). There are no inputs for this  TV as we only want to use it for streaming services (Netflix and Amazon). There is no Antenna hooked up to the TV either since we don't want to watch LiveTV on it (the only Antenna we have is hooked up in our family room to a FireTV Recast, not to a  smartTV). 

When we turn on the TV it auto-tunes to channel 2-0. Since there is no antenna, this is just loud snow. Even when we go to the dashboard, it defaults to showing liveTV and hence more snow & noise. Even though the  LG  TV stations are enabled and working it will always tune to 2-0 when I turn the  TV on. I've tried going through the menu and cannot find any setting to change this. I'd be happy removing or disabling "LiveTV" as an option and would love it to start with the dashboard with LiveTV not expanded/active. Even clicking on the

link hidden, please login to view
button takes time and we get several seconds of the snow before the smart features startup.

With more and more people only using streaming services, I have to believe the TV supports our use case and should not try to ever use liveTV. 

Is there a setting I missed in the menu to stop it from always trying to go to liveTV when I turn the  TV on? Or at the very least make it tune to an  LG channel on start to avoid the snow?

Update: of course, right after posting thisI did find that you can use the button on the remote to turn the  TV on. I still would like to fix the dashboard playing snow and would prefer to have the TV not try to use liveTV if I use the power button to turn the TV on.

Thank you

It sounds like a frustrating issue. To stop the TV from defaulting to LiveTV, try going to Settings > Programmes > Programme Tuning & Settings > Programme List Update, and turn this off. This should help prevent the TV from starting on LiveTV and reduce the snow noise.

Glad you found a workaround with the Amazon Prime button, but hopefully, this setting tweak will fully resolve your issue!