Quantcast

Disney Plus on LG webOS TVs

ajmboy

3 hours ago, Hastor said:

Looks like the app is there with DolbyVision support, which would be nice except... It only outputs stereo DD sounds over the ARC channel to my receiver. Netflix and Amazon do 5.1... is Disney+ only stereo?

I tested with newer movies like endgame and still only stereo...

Same here, its not outputting 5.1 sound or Atmos for that matter (although I'm not sure if ARC can do Atmos, maybe just eARC?).  Anyway, if you look at the info on each program, movie etc. it will tell you the supported formats (4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, 5.1 etc.).  So something is not working correctly with the app as the sound for all their material is not outputting 5.1 or higher.  Hopefully its just that it wasn't fully implemented in time for today's launch date and will be in a future revision. 

Yeah I'm 'settling' for HDR10 and 5.1 on my Xbox One X. I don't have Atmos but I can do all the other formats (my receiver supports it but I don't have the speakers for it). Things on the Xbox Disney app get tags for 4k, HDR10, and 5.1. On my LG set I get 4k and DolbyVision but no sound tags. Really hope to see this fixed as my TV is the only thing I have that does apps with DolbyVision. My 4k Blu Ray player, my only other DolbyVision device, doesn't do apps.

I know only newer ARC outputs do Atmos, maybe just eARC like you mentioned. Mine's a 2016 set so it only does DD up to 5.1. Disney both compresses it to DD and leaves it at stereo. I think ARC can do PCM stereo like optical.

Looking forward to having DolbyVision and surround together! I'll settle for HDR before I go stereo though!

I have a 2016 as well, the 86UH9500.  Unfortunately, the Xbox One X only supports "low latency" Dolby Vision, and LG never bothered to update the firmware to support it, so I don't get Dolby Vision support with my Xbox. 

Funny thing is I had never gotten an update on the new firmware from LG when I inquired about it and only recently saw a follow up with some kind of BS excuse from LG that the Dolby Vision standard wasn't finalized when the 2016 sets came out, that the HDMI wouldn't support it, that Dolby Vision is only supported on apps etc.  Meanwhile LG kept referring to the OLED sets and not their LCD (which mine is) when they made this statement which I felt was sketchy. 

Needless to say I literally just picked up an LG 4K Blu-ray player (UBKM9) and lo and behold Dolby Vision works just fine so I think LG was just being lazy with the low latency support. 

Anyway sorry to drift on the subject I will have to double check the info displayed for each program but I could have sworn on the LG it showed supported formats but I could be wrong.  I'm watching Star Wars on a TCL with Roku 4K set and when you look at the description for instance it says 4K Ultra HD - Dolby Vision - 5.1.  

I will check the LG again tomorrow.  Disney will have to update the app to support the correct sound formats.  I don't want to watch Disney+ from my Xbox since it won't support Dolby Vision as I previously stated (also the reason I finally caved and bought a 4K Blu-ray player). 

It does show the formats in the LG. Just not a sound format. It shows tags for 4k and DolbyVision. Not one that indicates DD 2.0 which everything seems to be.

Even with Xbox supporting low latency DolbyVision, it doesn't support it for UHD Blu  Ray or any video apps I'm aware of, just a few games. My OLED 2016 only supports it up to 30fps, so 24fps content is fine.

My UHD Blu Ray player does DolbyVision fine as well, at 24hz. Games are always 60hz on consoles though, even if capped at 30fps, but that's rare today anyway.

Anyway yeah, hope they at least get DD 5.1 working in the app!

10 hours ago, LanceX2 said:

My App is not allowing me to do 4k. wtf?

Uk6500AUA model. jist HD and HDR10.

So interesting to note: when going into the Disney+ app in the LG Content Store>Premium and reading the app description states:

-View select titles in stunning 4K UHD and HDR (Coming Soon)

So I'm not sure what to make of that - do they mean 4K is coming soon, HDR is coming soon, or 4K HDR is coming soon as its written, I don't know. I am going to reach out for more information at

link hidden, please login to view

Also, as per the help page for Disney+ : Supported formats for a given title can be found in the DETAILS section under each title.

Which means Disney released the LG app without support for 5.1 audio or 4K

And your model is a 2018 model, correct?  Newer than mine (2016).  

20 hours ago, Hastor said:

It does show the formats in the LG. Just not a sound format. It shows tags for 4k and DolbyVision. Not one that indicates DD 2.0 which everything seems to be.

Even with Xbox supporting low latency DolbyVision, it doesn't support it for UHD Blu  Ray or any video apps I'm aware of, just a few games. My OLED 2016 only supports it up to 30fps, so 24fps content is fine.

My UHD Blu Ray player does DolbyVision fine as well, at 24hz. Games are always 60hz on consoles though, even if capped at 30fps, but that's rare today anyway.

Anyway yeah, hope they at least get DD 5.1 working in the app!

So that's interesting: on your model, it shows 4K, on my UH9500 it doesn't, only HD.  Disney+ help says: "Disney+ will detect the capabilities of your system and play the content if it is available in 4K Ultra HD or HDR."  Which is incorrect, obviously. 

Yeah that's odd. I did notice mine says HDR (coming soon) and no mention of DolbyVision. However it does support 4K and DolbyVision. I haven't seen HDR though which is odd. Maybe all their HDR titles also support DolbyVision? I kind of doubt it, I think they have to pay a license fee per title for Dolby. Then again when I realized it was only sending stereo, I quickly moved to watching on my Xbox instead, so I haven't thoroughly explored titles on my LG. If they add 5.1 support it will be my main Disney+ device.

As I mentioned, for now, HDR10 + 5.1 > DolbyVision + stereo to me personally. So I'm sticking with the Xbox but checking for app updates weekly on the LG.

It does sound like there's issues specific to some models, but I don't think the app supports 5.1 sound period yet on WebOS, for any model. I imagine their thinking was that everyone can use4k, DolbyVision, or HDR if their set has it, but a smaller number have those settings outputting surround over ARC or optical output, so they are adding the fancy stuff that all customers can see first.

There's enough apps not available on webOS. While it does have a cost, I recommend getting some other streaming device to compliment it. That would also give you 4k for now, but I'm not sure about DolbyVision on other devices. HDR should be fine as long as it supports it. I use Fandor and VRV which, at least last I checked, didn't have webOS apps. Between my Roku and Xbox One X, I have everything I need covered though. With a modern 4k Roku I wouldn't even need the Xbox as far as video streaming, but my Roku is a 1080p model. No Fandor app on Xbox either though (again, last I checked).

Just now, Hastor said:

There's enough apps not available on webOS. While it does have a cost, I recommend getting some other streaming device to compliment it. That would also give you 4k for now, but I'm not sure about DolbyVision on other devices. HDR should be fine as long as it supports it. I use Fandor and VRV which, at least last I checked, didn't have webOS apps. Between my Roku and Xbox One X, I have everything I need covered though. With a modern 4k Roku I wouldn't even need the Xbox as far as video streaming, but my Roku is a 1080p model. No Fandor app on Xbox either though (again, last I checked).

Is a Roku Stick good enough or do I need the Roku with a HDMI port?

The Roku Stick+ appears to support 4k and HDR. Of course, it plugs into an HDMI port, similar to how a USB stick plugs in a USB port. My older 1080p Roku Stick was USB powered, so I could use its included adapter, or just the USB port on my TV to power it. In that case, I found the stick to be sluggish to navigate compared to the nicer models, but that might not be the case with the newer 4k model. I have 3 Rokus, and they are all over 5 years old. My Roku LT is also sluggish, but has RCA outputs so I use it when I want to use my older CRT TV. I can't remember if it is 720p or 1080p max. The stick does 1080p but again, sluggish menus. My Roku 3 is great and responsive, outputs up to DD+ 5.1, but is from the 1080p era. It also has an RF remote that allows you to connect headphones to the remote. Drains battery faster but is handy.

Whether it is a stick or not doesn't matter as long as it supports the features you want, but I'd check reviews. Even for the ones with sluggish menus, they are fine once a video starts playing.

Roku doesn't support Dolby Vision, so if you're a fan you can skip that.  The new Fire TV cube does, but had problems with HDMI handshake and only displayed HD.  Also, no built in Ethernet so you're forced to use wifi (the included ethernet dongle is usb 2.0 and had worse throughput than wifi).  Apple TV supports Dolby Vision if you dont mind the price.  I looked into all 3rd party support when it looked like LG wasn't going  to get Disney+.  PS over 24 hours and no response from Disney on my issues.

• 3 weeks later...

LG wouldn't have automatically installed Disney+ on my TV after it was released, would they? I went to look for it and it was already installed. I'm sure I did and forgot about it, but not certain.

Separate topic: I remember reading about this, but it is pretty annoying that already watched episodes don't track from the web. It wanted to start over on Mandalorian even though I had already watched the first three episodes on the web a few days ago.

2 hours ago, grabber5.0 said:

LG wouldn't have automatically installed Disney+ on my TV after it was released, would they? I went to look for it and it was already installed. I'm sure I did and forgot about it, but not certain. emoji1787.png

Separate topic: I remember reading about this, but it is pretty annoying that already watched episodes don't track from the web. It wanted to start over on Mandalorian even though I had already watched the first three episodes on the web a few days ago.

Yes, they do that. Whenever a mainstream app is released its always there on my tv automatically, never had to install one.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, schneidernet said:

Me too. I've subscribed but so far will be unable to watch it. I have Fire TV but Amazon and Disney are not friends. Don't want to buy a Roku. No good Android TV boxes except Shield but it's long in the tooth. Thinking maybe a Chromecast Ultra via my tablet. CORDCUTTING IS HARD!

Hi there what is the problem that you have with your fire tv and disney+, im using the service since november 12 so far so good on amazon fire tv stick except for the problems from the service itself.

I just want DD 5.1 so I can have surround and DolbyVision both at once. At least I'm only really watching the Mandolorian which doesn't benefit from HDR/DV  like Disney claims. Even with HDR from my Xbox, you'd never guess it. Love the show but it isn't using colors in the HDR range like other things obviously are. Hopefully season 2 will use proper DV and the app will support surround sound by then.