Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

Mejriou

C8 - Streaming 4K movies - MacOS

Question

Hey LG mates,

I have just bought OLED C8 and I am reading all the articles about streaming movies from PC to my smart TV, but I am not successfull at all. 

1. I have 1Gbps internet, but all of my devices are connected to Wifi. Speed tests display 100 Mbps for download and upload maximum so I suppose that the router is not the best one. I have router right behind the TV, so maybe this will not be the best place after all. Should I use LAN cable for both devices or only one of them? I have bought CAT6, but as I read that the TV supports only 100Mbps through LAN cable, I am not sure if this will help for 4K movies. 

2. I downloaded Plex to my MacBook Pro 2017 and my LG as well, but I was not able to stream anything. 1080p stopped in the beginning and was buffering for more than 15 minutes so I closed the application. What should be the proper set up of PLEX?

3. What preferences should the movie file have?

6 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Mejriou said:

Hey LG mates,

I have just bought OLED C8 and I am reading all the articles about streaming movies from PC to my smart TV, but I am not successfull at all. 

1. I have 1Gbps internet, but all of my devices are connected to Wifi. Speed tests display 100 Mbps for download and upload maximum so I suppose that the router is not the best one. I have router right behind the TV, so maybe this will not be the best place after all. Should I use LAN cable for both devices or only one of them? I have bought CAT6, but as I read that the TV supports only 100Mbps through LAN cable, I am not sure if this will help for 4K movies. 

2. I downloaded Plex to my MacBook Pro 2017 and my LG as well, but I was not able to stream anything. 1080p stopped in the beginning and was buffering for more than 15 minutes so I closed the application. What should be the proper set up of PLEX?

Get yourself a Raspberry Pi, version 3 would do but they have just released the 4 with up to 4GB of RAM.  Then install DietPi which makes the set up Plex Media Server and other programmes really easy, add an external drive and you should be set to go. 

The format of the media should not be a big issue as the Plex Media Server will encode it in a format suitable for the device seeking to view it.

I have watched 480p 720p videos of not particularly great quality streamed to my 2016 49" LG from a RPi 3 and the results have been more than adequate. 

100Mbps networking should only be an issue with 4K if the media have been encoded at a really high bitrate/quality etc.  If the cable is not quick enough then maybe it is time for faster WiFi.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:30 PM, Mejriou said:

Hey LG mates,

[..]

I should use LAN on both devices. On wifi you always can get problems with neighbours of you microwaves.

Think about using a powerline adapter to connect the router to your Mac via the power lines in your home.

I use a TP-LINK AV2000 and it is fabulous. I have my router behind the TV so it plugs directly into the LG TV. Then I use the power line adapter to connect router to Mac mini which is in my study. The speeds are much better than wireless.

There are ways to connect your Macbook to the LAN see here: https://www.dummies.com/computers/macs/macbook/how-to-install-a-wired-network-on-your-macbook/ for an example.

In my case I have a QNAP NAS that holds all my media.  It also runs a Plex server (so I don't have to use my Mac for the server). It plugs directly into the power line adapter also.

Cheers.

9 hours ago, Noel Walker said:

Think about using a powerline adapter to connect the router to your Mac via the power lines in your home.

That is a possibility but I would never use it. As a radio amateur I know these things can cause a lot of interference because they inject HF signals into your power lines.

If it is your own house invest a zaterdag to make a LAN network to all your rooms.

YMMV

On 6/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, Mejriou said:

Hey LG mates,

100mbps is sufficient for most 4k files. Makes sure you have direct play enabled on the plex client. I stream 80gb HEVC HDR movies over wifi ac and they play seamlessly. Direct play is the key.

I have two 4K tv’s and none of them are hardwired.

1080p should be a cakewalk.

have you performed speedtest on the tv? If it is also close to 100mbps then you don’t need to worry.

also  check status on the plex server when movie is playing. Is it showing transcoding?

On 6/26/2019 at 10:34 PM, George Hofmeister said:

Get yourself a Raspberry Pi, version 3 would do but they have just released the 4 with up to 4GB of RAM.  Then install DietPi which makes the set up Plex Media Server and other programmes really easy, add an external drive and you should be set to go. 

The format of the media should not be a big issue as the Plex Media Server will encode it in a format suitable for the device seeking to view it.

I have watched 480p 720p videos of not particularly great quality streamed to my 2016 49" LG from a RPi 3 and the results have been more than adequate. 

100Mbps networking should only be an issue with 4K if the media have been encoded at a really high bitrate/quality etc.  If the cable is not quick enough then maybe it is time for faster WiFi.

Hello there,

I am probably going to buy new Rapsberry 4B in with 4 GB RAM. Do you think that it will easily play 4K HDR movies with bit rate over 50 Mbps to my LG TV? I have no experience with it so I am wondering what limitations there might be.