Quantcast

Network connection issues. LG Content store doesn't connect.

I did a refresh of my LG TV 3 days ago. Sold the old LG 47" 3D LED TV and bought new 55" LG Super UltraHD TV with WebOS. I believe, the biggest con of this new TV is WebOS. Its totally frustrating. Sorry for WebOS fans.

It isn't that smart and functional they way it looks. The problem I having since 3 days and being a network engineer, I am unable to solve a network issue myself which is even more frustrating for me.

Ok, let me explain the issue. The TV when installed was connected to LAN cable to my router which has direct internet connection. The TV works and none of the apps were working. Basically TV wasn't able to connect to internet via apps. If i open web browser, it was working fine with all webpages showing correctly.

I'll skip the part of contacting LG support which was useless. All troubleshooting steps like resetting, formatting, changing time zone, location, region was done but no luck. Finally I connected the TV via mobile hotspot and it just worked which gave me the clue that some ports are being blocked by my ISP or router.

My internet setup is this way. Internet cable from ISP -> ISP Modem (can do NAT and work as router) - WiFi Router (NAT, DHCP, etc) -> all LAN clients. I put my LG TV in DMZ, opened all ports, etc but no luck. Then I converted my ISP modem as router and connected the LG TV directly to it and it started working..!!!

My WiFi Router is TP-Link Archer C7 and I was using stock firmware. Thought it was creating issues and I installed DD-WRT, Open-WRT but no luck at all. The apps which were installed in TV when TV was connected directly to modem are still working fine. Youtube, Plex, Netflix, etc all are working but when I open LG Content Store, it just refuses to load.

I am not sure what wrong my TP-Link router is doing. There is something wrong with the LG TV content store. If it requires to open ports, then I would like to know which ones.

Sorry for the long port, may be my frustration of 3 days with no luck.!!

Same issue here. I first noticed my issue when I tried to open Sling TV app. It required an update which tried to take me to the LG Content Store. Then I would get an error message that the LG Content Store is temporarily unavailable, try again later. This has been going on for a month with absolutely no help from LG Technical Support. Most other apps (Netflix , Amazon Video, etc.) all work fine. I was finally able to get into my router management and disable the firewall while I tried to update the Sling app. It worked long enough to update the app. But after a few minutes, I got the “temporarily unavailable “ message from the LG Content Store again. Very frustrating!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/23/2018 at 8:53 PM, akhil7j said:

I did a refresh of my LG TV 3 days ago. Sold the old LG 47" 3D LED TV and bought new 55" LG Super UltraHD TV with WebOS. I believe, the biggest con of this new TV is WebOS. Its totally frustrating. Sorry for WebOS fans.

It isn't that smart and functional they way it looks. The problem I having since 3 days and being a network engineer, I am unable to solve a network issue myself which is even more frustrating for me.

Ok, let me explain the issue. The TV when installed was connected to LAN cable to my router which has direct internet connection. The TV works and none of the apps were working. Basically TV wasn't able to connect to internet via apps. If i open web browser, it was working fine with all webpages showing correctly.

I'll skip the part of contacting LG support which was useless. All troubleshooting steps like resetting, formatting, changing time zone, location, region was done but no luck. Finally I connected the TV via mobile hotspot and it just worked which gave me the clue that some ports are being blocked by my ISP or router.

My internet setup is this way. Internet cable from ISP -> ISP Modem (can do NAT and work as router) - WiFi Router (NAT, DHCP, etc) -> all LAN clients. I put my LG TV in DMZ, opened all ports, etc but no luck. Then I converted my ISP modem as router and connected the LG TV directly to it and it started working..!!!

My WiFi Router is TP-Link Archer C7 and I was using stock firmware. Thought it was creating issues and I installed DD-WRT, Open-WRT but no luck at all. The apps which were installed in TV when TV was connected directly to modem are still working fine. Youtube, Plex, Netflix, etc all are working but when I open LG Content Store, it just refuses to load.

I am not sure what wrong my TP-Link router is doing. There is something wrong with the LG TV content store. If it requires to open ports, then I would like to know which ones.

Sorry for the long port, may be my frustration of 3 days with no luck.!!

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm an IT guy also troubleshooting the exact same issue for weeks very frustrating!!!

On 3/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, [email protected] said:

As crazy as this sounds try this, unplug your tv for a few minutes then plug it back in. I’m a computer repair tech and have years of experience in a variety of electronic troubleshooting. 

I was having this same issue when I ran across this fix that seemed so silly but it werked!!

Ah yes after twenty years in the computer support industry myself it is amazing how many times the solutions of turning off/unplugging and turning back on again works.

• Haha 1

Well unfortunately the "unplug from power source" doesn't work for me. I live in South Africa we are currently having scheduled power outages  for +/-  3 hours daily even that prolonged period of "unplugging" doesn't work. What's even more strange/annoying is that the LG content store & all other apps won't work on a wired connection directly connected to my ISP modem/router on FTTH (using Google DNS) but NETFLIX works without a single glitch all the time.  I keep getting the "CHECK NETWORK CONNECTION (-118)" error message on the wired connection.

I'm almost convinced that the wired connection takes second preference to a wireless connection as I can access the content store & the rest of the apps via a cellular broadband connection (without using Google DNS) even though the wireless doesn't work at all on my primary ISP modem/router.  I have put the TV in the DMZ on my  primary wired ISP modem/router to avoid any firewall/port blocking issues to no avail I have even requested for a static public IP address from my ISP.

Is there any way to pull logs directly from the TV via SSH or something? BTW I also got +20 years tech experience but this is just mind boggling & highly frustrating!!

7 hours ago, pridgom said:

Well unfortunately the "unplug from power source" doesn't work for me. I live in South Africa we are currently having scheduled power outages  for +/-  3 hours daily even that prolonged period of "unplugging" doesn't work. What's even more strange/annoying is that the LG content store & all other apps won't work on a wired connection directly connected to my ISP modem/router on FTTH (using Google DNS) but NETFLIX works without a single glitch all the time.  I keep getting the "CHECK NETWORK CONNECTION (-118)" error message on the wired connection.

I'm almost convinced that the wired connection takes second preference to a wireless connection as I can access the content store & the rest of the apps via a cellular broadband connection (without using Google DNS) even though the wireless doesn't work at all on my primary ISP modem/router.  I have put the TV in the DMZ on my  primary wired ISP modem/router to avoid any firewall/port blocking issues to no avail I have even requested for a static public IP address from my ISP.

Is there any way to pull logs directly from the TV via SSH or something? BTW I also got +20 years tech experience but this is just mind boggling & highly frustrating!!

Well, besides the obvious like unplug the netwerk cable or switch it out, there could be a bad connector etc. Also unplugging and powering down are two different things. I’m pretty dumb but maybe there could possibly be enough power to keep the settings, ie:standby power? Perhaps? I would still unplug for 5-10 minutes just to be double sure and while you’re at it swap your netwerk cable out or at least check the fittings/connectors. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Finally this issue is solved for me, for resolution go through the below lines and follow:

I was frustrated for months with similar issue and blamed the ISP for the issue as certain preinstalled apps like youtube etc. worked fine, but LG content store was just not reachable. I had a Linksys E900 wireless router. To my surprise, changing my router made the content store reachable. With this I finally concluded it was my router that was the culprit and not LG or my ISP. I then factory reset my router settings, but it didn't work. What really worked for me was a setting on my router known as MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit Size of Data Packet). It was on Auto Mode and showed a value 1480. I then changed this value to manual mode and with a value 1470. Saved settings, restarted router and TADA it worked. Hope changing MTU size for you guys solves your problem as well. For Linksys routers this setting is under Basis Setup -> Setup Tab. The same setting for your make router if not linksys will be elsewhere, refer to the user guide of your manufacturer for more assistance on tweaking this setting.

All the best Guys!!!

Zap 

(happy to help [email protected] )

Pune, India

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem.  I've tried unplugging  it,  changing  the DNS server, even connecting it to my phone hotspot so I know its not the internet.  My apps work even though some of them keep insisting on being updated which they refuse to do, but now I can't even get in the app store it just says network connection  error code 105.  Any ideas I'm really fried.  

• 8 months later...
On 5/11/2019 at 8:24 PM, Zap said:

Finally this issue is solved for me, for resolution go through the below lines and follow:

I was frustrated for months with similar issue and blamed the ISP for the issue as certain preinstalled apps like youtube etc. worked fine, but LG content store was just not reachable. I had a Linksys E900 wireless router. To my surprise, changing my router made the content store reachable. With this I finally concluded it was my router that was the culprit and not LG or my ISP. I then factory reset my router settings, but it didn't work. What really worked for me was a setting on my router known as MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit Size of Data Packet). It was on Auto Mode and showed a value 1480. I then changed this value to manual mode and with a value 1470. Saved settings, restarted router and TADA it worked. Hope changing MTU size for you guys solves your problem as well. For Linksys routers this setting is under Basis Setup -> Setup Tab. The same setting for your make router if not linksys will be elsewhere, refer to the user guide of your manufacturer for more assistance on tweaking this setting.

All the best Guys!!!

Zap 

(happy to help [email protected] )

Pune, India

This is the real troubleshooting everyone needs, your solution works wonders!

Thank you