Quantcast

USB Hard Disk Wiped After Update

OK after being misled by false advertising and disappointed to find my 2017 LG 'smart' TV only has one USB drive and that is incapable of recording to a USB flash stick like my six years old Toshiba could easily do I went ahead and purchased a 1 Tb USB 2.0 Hard Disk - as recommended by LG Support.

Well guess what, shortly after recording about a dozen movies and programs on this disk the TV WebOs wiped the disk forcing me to take it out and reformat it again on my PC. As usual with this LG rubbish I sighed and reinstalled the disk. For two weeks it worked fine then, yesterday, LG issued a WebOs 'update' and yup, you guessed it, this wiped my hard disk yet again. This time I ran disk check utilities and certified the drive and cable is fine, no errors found. So if anyone has any knowledge of why the TV keeps corrupting the drive I would appreciate it.

Magdyfarag:

TV Model is:  LG 43UJ630V 43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV (2017 Model) - with latest UK WebOs 

Hard Disk is: 1TB USB 2.0 External Portable 2.5" HDD - No brand name. Designed to power from USB port. 

Windows 10 Basic Primary Partition NTFS Healthy

There is only one USB port provided on this model so cannot swap over ports to check this.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, magdyfarag said:

Please inform me about:

1:Your Hard disk  Kind and Capacity

2: type of your hard disk Partition and Format  Fat or Fat32 or NTFS 

3: Your LG TV  Model

So i can tell you How to cure this issue

• 2 months later...

Update:

After much email discussion with LG Support and trying most of the helpful suggestions here and elsewhere I concluded there was a fault with my Toshiba HDD controller/power supply so returned it for refund and got a WD My Passport AV TV Portable External Hard Drive for Recordable TV's 1TB USB and voila! can now, finally, enjoy perfect recordings & time shift as advertised by LG. Even though LG recommend/advise using a drive with independent power supply (hard to find) this WD works fine direct from TV USB port.  This WD also comes with a handy dandy cradle that fixes to the back of the TV so it is all hidden away nicely behind the set.