Quantcast

USB Hard Disk Wiped After Update

OK after being misled by false advertising and disappointed to find my 2017 LG 'smart' TV only has one USB drive and that is incapable of recording to a USB flash stick like my six years old Toshiba could easily do I went ahead and purchased a 1 Tb USB 2.0 Hard Disk - as recommended by LG Support.

Well guess what, shortly after recording about a dozen movies and programs on this disk the TV WebOs wiped the disk forcing me to take it out and reformat it again on my PC. As usual with this LG rubbish I sighed and reinstalled the disk. For two weeks it worked fine then, yesterday, LG issued a WebOs 'update' and yup, you guessed it, this wiped my hard disk yet again. This time I ran disk check utilities and certified the drive and cable is fine, no errors found. So if anyone has any knowledge of why the TV keeps corrupting the drive I would appreciate it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magdyfarag:

TV Model is:  LG 43UJ630V 43 inch 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV (2017 Model) - with latest UK WebOs 

Hard Disk is: 1TB USB 2.0 External Portable 2.5" HDD - No brand name. Designed to power from USB port. 

Windows 10 Basic Primary Partition NTFS Healthy

There is only one USB port provided on this model so cannot swap over ports to check this.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, magdyfarag said:

Please inform me about:

1:Your Hard disk  Kind and Capacity

2: type of your hard disk Partition and Format  Fat or Fat32 or NTFS 

3: Your LG TV  Model

So i can tell you How to cure this issue

• 2 months later...

Update:

After much email discussion with LG Support and trying most of the helpful suggestions here and elsewhere I concluded there was a fault with my Toshiba HDD controller/power supply so returned it for refund and got a WD My Passport AV TV Portable External Hard Drive for Recordable TV's 1TB USB and voila! can now, finally, enjoy perfect recordings & time shift as advertised by LG. Even though LG recommend/advise using a drive with independent power supply (hard to find) this WD works fine direct from TV USB port.  This WD also comes with a handy dandy cradle that fixes to the back of the TV so it is all hidden away nicely behind the set.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By boggy
      I have LG TV UF6800. TV is working well. The youtube app had worked well until a couple month ago. The yoyube hangs very often after playing advertisement. It also hangs after playing a long video (around 30 min). By "hangs" I mean it is still there, showing the youtube UI, but we cannot play any video. Just black, staying there forever.
      I am using wired network on the TV. 
      I tried updating app, nothing. I googled and tried unpluging power while watching...., no help. BTW the youtube (with the same user) works well on PC and iPad.
      If you think this is not LG's problem, please advise to whom I should contact.
      Bogang Tian
    • By Vincent Valot
      Hello,
      We are a company developing streaming apps for our customers. As-to enhance developer / tester / any other teams experience into LG universe, and be able to quickly test any environments we have (dev / staging / production), we'd like to be able to install apps that aren't removed after Developer Mode expires, or aren't visible/listed to the public store.
      We looked upon the idea to extend Developer Mode session with a Crontab with specific accounts for each TV, but some TVs are stopping the Developer Mode when being powered down, so it doesn't seem the most industrialised idea.
      Let me know what we can do to answer that issue !
      Thanks !
    • By Alex
      New Delhi: Elista, the electronic appliance company headquartered in Dubai has just launched new smart TVs in India. These new televisions are a refresh of their existing lineup in India. So, let’s take a look at their specs and features.  
      Pricing and Availability 
      The 43-ich Elista Smart LED TV has a price tag of Rs. 48,990 ($628). The bigger 50-inch and 55-inch options cost Rs. 59,990 ($769) and Rs. 70,990 ($910) respectively. These TVs are available on all leading consumer electronics shops and online platforms.  
      Elista Smart LED TV specs & features 
      The new range of Elista Smart LED TVs comes in three screen sizes: 43-inch, 50-inch, and 55-inch. They offer a 4K resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels along with 1.07 billion colors. The TVs provide smooth visuals even when watching fast-paced scenes thanks to MEMC technology (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation) and 60Hz refresh rate.  
      The Smart TVs also come with ALLM (Automatic Low Latency Mode) which reduces the response time of the display to just 5ms, making it ideal for console gaming. The smart TV operates on LG’s WebOS which comes with the ThinQ AI. The ThinQ AI is LG’s voice assistant that makes it simple for viewers to control the TV with either voice or via a mobile device. If the ThinQ UI is not your cup of tea, you also get access to the built-in Alexa to help navigate through the UI or through your favorite OTT apps.  
      The smart TVs come with easy-to-use Magic remote with a dedicated hotkey for Netflix and Prime Video. For connectivity, these TVs have in-built dual-band Wi-Fi. Last but not the least, the speakers of the smart TVs come powered by Dolby Audio. 
      Source: 
      link hidden, please login to view
    • By mark3433
      I set a schedule on my 55UK6750PLD to record several hours of satellite TV every day.
      The problem is that this recording schedule regularly disappears and so needs setting up again and again, several times a week.
      A couple of years ago this worked for months without fail so I suspect a bug has been introduced in a more recent version of firmware as automatic updates are enabled.
      Current WebOS version: 05.40.26
    • By Finjo
      Hi, whenever I turned on my PS5 in the past on my TV  I would get a prompt in the bottom middle to press a button to automatically go to the HDMI channel, now I still get a notification in the top right saying “HDMI 1 is available” but it doesn’t seem clickable.

Has this been caused by a software update? I did also set up a sound bar in the HDMI ARC port recently and wondering if it could have anything to do with that?
  • Similar Tagged Content