Quantcast

Some .jpg photos are not loading, only thumbnails.

OnlyCORE

Question

Hey, I have a LG OLED65CX TV (latest WebOS) and  some photos from my Synology NAS are not loading, only in thumbnails like this:

spacer.png

Most photos work perfectly but some not. They are scans from a photobook and then individually cut in Zoner but that shouldn't matter right? Here are properties of one of the photos

spacer.png

I really don't know the reason my TV and it makes me really mad since it took a long time co scan these.

Weird thing is I also scanned other positive film photos and they work great on TV.

Do you know what might be the problem?

9 answers to this question

@OnlyCORE Have you checked that you have the latest firmware for your TV? It is 03.21 .18. See:

link hidden, please login to view
        (you can download it on a PC, transfer to a USB stick - follow the README file for that).

Also check that your Synology NAS has the latest firmware and software app layers, and that the TV Internet connection is solid (i.e. LAN cable, or if WiFi check with a phone to see what the WiFi symbol (signal strength) shows for the band that the TV is using (i.e. 2.4GHz or 5GHz). If on 5GHz, check by logging into your router, go to WiFi Advanced settings, check that the CHANNEL within the 5GHz band is not higher than 100 (some TV's do not work well over 100), usually channel 36 or 44 works well.

Edited by td47
typo

6 hours ago, td47 said:

@OnlyCORE Have you checked that you have the latest firmware for your TV? It is 03.21 .18. See:

(you can download it on a PC, transfer to a USB stick - follow the README file for that).

Also check that your Synology NAS has the latest firmware and software app layers, and that the TV Internet connection is solid (i.e. LAN cable, or if WiFi check with a phone to see what the WiFi symbol (signal strength) shows for the band that the TV is using (i.e. 2.4GHz or 5GHz). If on 5GHz, check by logging into your router, go to WiFi Advanced settings, check that the CHANNEL within the 5GHz band is not higher than 100 (some TV's do not work well over 100), usually channel 36 or 44 works well.

TV, NAS and apps are all running the latest software. 

TV is connected by cable and by strong 2.4 GHz connection (both, because screenshare from phone doesn't work over cable - another bullshit) 

@OnlyCORE Thanks for the feedback.  I suspect you are using an Apple product for screen-share? If so, it is a common problem with the LAN connected devices, because some routers do not pass certain broadcast packets (initialization/negotiation data packets) between the WiFi and the Ethernet ports for the LAN side, for the AirPlay protocol to work properly. That is NOT the fault of the TV, it is usually the router firmware (a bug), or a security setting being too restrictive.

It may cause odd issues having BOTH LAN and WiFi connected to your TV at the same time, and if the WiFi 2.4GHz is working, then I would recommend you disconnect the LAN cable and retry your issue with the WiFi side only active.

FYI: the 2.4GHz band has a MAX throughput of 300Mbps, so if you DO have a dual-band router, AND the TV is close enough to the router for the 5GHz band to be strong, you can get much higher bandwidth via that (depending on your router model, and TV model, but I think around 900-1200Mpbs is common).

@td47 No Apples, only Android phones. My router is on another floor so 5GHz is very weak.

I tried disconnecting LAN cable but that made things worse. The TV couldn't see my NAS with only 2.4GHz connection.

I tried to copy some photos on an external drive and directly connect it to the TV and it couldn't show them either (like in the first picture) and also without thumbnails. So the problem on the  TV side.

What is wrong with these pictures? Every other device can show them without a problem. 

@OnlyCORE Thanks for the feedback. Can you please clarify about the thumbnails. Is it correct that ALL of the JPG images DO get the thumbnail on the SmartShare player, but certain ones just fail to display, and show the "broken file" image?

If that is the case, can you please compare the properties of typical ones that DO display OK, with a few of those that don't? It may be that you have found a subtle limitation or bug in SmartShare, for instance the number of pixels, or the DPI, or even some other property, that the inbuilt player cannot handle (but other smarter photo viewers CAN workaround). The problem is that SmartShare has not been updated since 2018.

Is it possible that you can test any of the  failing ORIGINAL images that you have, prior to them being altered via Zoner? Do you have the latest build of Zoner? I see that ZPS now has build 315 dated 9th March 2021, so are you able to try that and "redo" a failing one from its original? If you are using an older 2019 version, I see that there was a bug fixed regarding the failure to write the DPI property properly into the image EXIFF so maybe Smartshare cannot render properly for those.

40 minutes ago, td47 said:

@OnlyCORE Thanks for the feedback. Can you please clarify about the thumbnails. Is it correct that ALL of the JPG images DO get the thumbnail on the SmartShare player, but certain ones just fail to display, and show the "broken file" image?

If that is the case, can you please compare the properties of typical ones that DO display OK, with a few of those that don't? It may be that you have found a subtle limitation or bug in SmartShare, for instance the number of pixels, or the DPI, or even some other property, that the inbuilt player cannot handle (but other smarter photo viewers CAN workaround). The problem is that SmartShare has not been updated since 2018.

Is it possible that you can test any of the  failing ORIGINAL images that you have, prior to them being altered via Zoner? Do you have the latest build of Zoner? I see that ZPS now has build 315 dated 9th March 2021, so are you able to try that and "redo" a failing one from its original? If you are using an older 2019 version, I see that there was a bug fixed regarding the failure to write the DPI property properly into the image EXIFF so maybe Smartshare cannot render properly for those.

Thank you for your answers.

I'm not sure what SmartShare is but I'm using the Photo & Video app that was preinstalled and all the other photos are working even those also saved with the same version of Zoner but some scanned photos that were cut and saved are showing a broken picture. The all have the same DPI but different resolution since they were hand cut. Thumbnails are showing only when played from NAS, not directly from external HDD. Here are properties of some photos. The working ones are scans of positive film also edited and saved in Zoner. I'm not sure about the version as I don't have it on me. For sure it's not the latest version.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I tried opening one picture in Corel and saving it and it worked, but it cut the size by around 75% so loss of quality and I have hundreds of these photos. Is there another app on LG content store I can try if it's as you said old version from 2018?

EDIT:

I tried checking the metadata of different jpg files everything is the same apart from resolution and DPI but this:

All the working ones have Encoding Process: Baseline DCT and all the not working one have Encoding Process: Progressive DCT

Can this be the reason?

@OnlyCORE

10 hours ago, OnlyCORE said:

All the working ones have Encoding Process: Baseline DCT and all the not working one have Encoding Process: Progressive DCT

Yes, I think I spotted an article about Progressive Scan media having a limited resolution or pixel count on TV displays, so that could well be the issue, thanks for spotting that difference. If you can redo them with the latest Zoner version, and always use the Baseline encoding, that should provide better compatibility between display devices.

Edited by td47
typo

On 4/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, OnlyCORE said:

Hey, I have a LG OLED65CX TV (latest WebOS) and  some photos from my Synology NAS are not loading, only in thumbnails like this:

Most photos work perfectly but some not. They are scans from a photobook and then individually cut in Zoner but that shouldn't matter right? Here are properties of one of the photos

I really don't know the reason my TV and it makes me really mad since it took a long time co scan these.

Weird thing is I also scanned other positive film photos and they work great on TV.

Do you know what might be the problem?

It’s an odd one, the LG doesn’t handle most things well, although in fairness it even played am MP4 video.....I tried viewing some JPGs saved with photoshop, PS has various save options one was progressive and another optimised, can’t remember exactly, but wanted to save with the best quality as had made some changes....Nb does t view Tiff files at all.....but these JPGs just would not view on my LGOLED55C9PLA .....had to re save as standard.....thought the LG should be more compatible.......but if I wanted a TV to do anything else than watch good quality TV / video I would have bought a Panasonic 🤯