Quantcast

• Own an LG TV or webOS device? Join our Forum!

Register now to gain access to our webOS user support forum. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to post a user to user support request topic to this site or reply to existing topics posted by other users. You can also take part in our other webOS user forums. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

According to the developer site, the Web Engine powering the Apps and I assume the Web Browser on WebOS is built on version 53 of Chromium (for 2018-2019 models) or Chromium 68 (for 2020 models). Version 53 is from 2016, and 68 is from 2018. The current version is 85.

The latest version of JavaScript used  by modern websites (ES7) is only supported in version 68 and above, and there has been some evidence that although WebOS is using version 53 of Chromium the browser is not fully compatible with the previous JavaScript version (ES6).

The result is that by keeping the WebOS browsers locked in older Chromium bases users will find more websites become unusable on our Smart TVs as old sites are upgraded to new versions and new sites come out. This is not an issue for Android based Smart TVs where users can install current web browsers of their choice.

LG is supposed to be a leader in technology- I have been incredibly pleased with my LG phones and other appliances but am extremely disappointed with the proprietary WebOS browser on LG Smart TVs. IN 2020 it is unacceptable thar such a fundamental function of a smart device (web browsing) is so out of date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Excellent post, something LG might finally listen to due to its technical basis.

If you agree please reply to the OP’s post because change in this topic is way overdue.

LG WE WANT CHANGE!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently I am unable to use my LG for the only reason I have bought exactly due to this topic. Now I have to consider buying another tv. And chances are very little it will be LG since their product is becoming unsupported a little after it’s purchase. 

sad. 

@Brennan Phoenix I wholeheartedly agree with your excellent post. It is great that you have"pointed the finger" so well, with facts and figures that they cannot refute and excuse. 

As you and others are saying, this current state of affairs with such an important Smart TV function (a workable and updateable browser), compared with the equivalent Android situation, positions LG in a very bad light compared with other manufacturers.  This has certainly opened my eyes VERY WIDE, so when I am ready to change my TV, LG may well be very low down the shopping list!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By PVN Satyanarayana
      Hi, I purchased my SMART TV model 43LF6300 in the year 2016 and current Firmware Version 04.06.40. Every one India using their favorite app like Disney Hotstar+, Zee5, Aaha and many more apps but those are not available on my TV which is annoying.. I spent Rs. 54000 to buy LG Smart TV but all the latest apps are not available. Please release the latest Web OS for these models at least Beta version unless the TVs like this will be useless and no one trust LG products. Thanks in advance and hope to receive latest Web OS soon.
    • By leader6234
      Hey guys !!!
      I have a UHD UJ634v  LG webos Tv  that lately an error message pops on the screen staying : Tv signal has been lost due to the satellite LNB short.Check LNB connection"
      This is really getting on my nerves because I can't get any signal even after resetting the TV or even updating to the last  software version.
      I check my cable line and fixed every possible problem. The error message keeps showing up even after disconnecting cable line from the back of TV just as if a short circuit or something has happened inside the Tv.
      Do you think that'd be software or hardware failure or something else??? How to fix it?
      Please help me out with this cuz all my lovely satellite TV channels are gone 😐
      Here is the actual error message on the right top o the screen 
      Thanks in advance !!!
    • By Rineeth G
      Dear LG team

How to get SONYLIV AND VOOT KIDS app in LG store to install in my LG webos TV
    • By KAIQUE LIMA
      When you click on the star to bookmark a web page on the 43 "Full HD LED TV Smart Browser LG 43LK5750PSA, it displays a confirmation message if you really want to bookmark it. Eighter you clicking "Yes or No" the page is bookmarked anyway.
    • By AspieMum
      I installed a few apps trying to get Casting to work that didn't work properly and I can't find anyway to uninstall them. My TV doesn't seem to have edit mode perhaps because I have had it a few years (pre-2018 some when- possibly its 10 years old or more as I can't remember when I got it). Anyone know how I can uninstall them? 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Kirtan Mehta
      Hi,  I need help to open Microsoft Teams on my LG Webos TV.. 
      I have LG WebOS TV OLED55C8PTA. My software version is 5.10.45. 
      When I open Microsoft Teams browser version from the browser on TV, I get the error message that "Hmm. Your browser version isn't supported. Here's what works: Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox."
    • By Pecacheu
      It is now 2020, and the WebOS browser in LG Smart TVs (which I believe is Chromium-based) is still massively out of date and doesn't work properly with a ton of websites!
      The main problem is actually very simple. The browser doesn't support EMCAScript 2015 or ES6.
      Basically, translated from nerd speak, it doesn't work properly with modern code using new features created since 2015, so any newer websites will break unless they've been written to be compatible with ancient browsers and OSes.
      This should not be the case on a TV made in the current year. It should be running an up-to-date web browser, if not for convenience, then for SECURITY reasons as well!
    • By Deepraj T
      I hope LG check this forum.
      Powerful Browser App like Google Chrome that is able to play videos of Amazon Prime, the default browser  is like Kids play, taking ages to load. Able to control streaming quality in apps like Prime Video, Hotstar, NetFlix, Sunnxt etc., i do not understand how hard for any developer to put this feature in app, I think  WebOS SDK expose this to developer to provide this feature. File Explorer that allow us to store data in TV Wifi file Transfer App like ShareIT(Android) More Apps(MX Player, Jio Tv, Jio Cinema, Airtel Xtreme,  VLC Player etc.....)... i feel the most apps available in the content store are crap and useless  Actually i did not do much research before purchasing UK6360PTE TV, I never expected this much difference from Android TV, i do not know how LG even thinking to compete with this WebOS , because people are getting intelligent and do research before purchase of a TV. they definitely find Android TVs more feature rich.